Sunday, March 2, 2008

Here and There

I just realized how long it's been since I last posted... Yikes!



I made the yummiest African Spinach Stew last night! I first had this dish in a local vegetarian restaurant (somehow, it's called a vegetarian restaurant but serves salmon - explain that one to me) and it was served with tortilla-like wedges. So I tried to imitate that with some whole wheat tortillas, crisped up in the toaster. The stew is traditionally made with peanut butter (here's the recipe), but I wanted to use almond butter just because I can.



My only complaint was that I didn't use enough spinach. The four cups I put in for my single-serving shrunk down way more than I thought they would, but at least that made everything extra almond buttery. Everyone should make this, it's so easy and delicious!

Also on my plate is some Pan-Fried Tempt-eh! from Eat, Drink & Be Vegan. Be prepared to see a few more tempeh meals coming up. I think tempeh is my favorite food, even more so than oatmeal and Brussels sprouts, so it's insane that it has been so long since I last purchased tempeh. The last time I had it was before I even started this blog.


Vegan Noodle had a contest on her blog a while back, in which you were supposed to guess the number of chocolate lentils (a vegan treat comparable to M&M's) she had pictured in a jar. I won for guessing the farthest off from the real number! I am awesome like that. I was so, so, so excited when I got the prize package in the mail, which included these babies:



Of course I wanted to devour them as soon as I ripped open my package outside the mail room, but I restrained myself and saved them for a special occasion. I put them in my purse and was able to resist for two whole hours, until I was settled down with a soy hot chocolate and with my camera, ready to document their gorgeousness. They were so good, and can you believe they were the first vegan truffles I've ever had?! Thank you so much, Vegan Noodle!




Microwave popcorn with Veganomicon's Cheezy Sauce! I loved this sauce on the Mac Daddy, so I thought it would be great on popcorn, too. I was impatient and didn't let the sauce cool long enough, so it mushed the popcorn a little. But still! That was a fun snack. The brand of popcorn I used was Bearitos No Salt No Oil. It was expensive, but it's vegan and a girl needs popcorn every once in a while.


I got the idea for Sweet Potato Crispy Corn Tacos from an old post on my friend Chocolate Covered Vegan's blog. They were meant to be burritos, but I had gone to the shady grocery store that day for a quick shop and there were no vegan, non-hydrogenated tortillas there, so tacos it was. Katie and I both agreed that this is a great meal, not only because it's fast and easy, but because the sweet from the sweet potatoes goes so well with the salty from the refried beans. The corn tacos add a great dimension to the flavor as well. And the best part is, I cooked my sweet potato in the microwave, so this meal was unbelievably fast.






Guess what? Oatmeal Pudding works with quinoa too!



I must say, though, that oatmeal is far superior. Quinoa just doesn't have enough bulk to be in the same class as oatmeal pudding. But it still makes for a good, nutritious breakfast. And between the two grains, quinoa is much prettier. It looks like there are golden, gleaming baby pearls poking out of my breakfast. This Quinoa Breakfast Pudding has figs, bananas, blackstrap molasses, cinnamon, vanilla, sea salt, and a big drizzle (one tablespoon) of macadamia butter. It might taste better if it was whizzed in the blender before adding the macadamia, and then it would have a smoother texture like oatmeal pudding.

Have a great week! I'll be back soon - my mini fridge is full to bursting with brand new groceries, waiting to be created into yummy things and posted about on the blog.

23 comments:

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Yay, you're back :o). I just love every one of your posts so much.

I admire your restraint with the truffles. Mine were gone almost before the package was opened lol.

The African stew looks delicious, and the recipe sounds wonderful too. In my experience, you can't go wrong with nut butter.
And just today I bought corn tortillas-- guess what they're for ;o).

P.S. Sometime this week, I am going to post a blog entry concerning you and your amazing breakfasts hehe.

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you posting again!!!

I don't know where to begin, that popcorn with cheeze sauce is a great idea. I MUST try it. And I have thought of making quinoa pudding, but I just haven't gotten around to it. Quinoa is amazing.

Anonymous said...

So much great food- I think that more than makes up for your absence!

What a lucky duck you are... Those truffles sound so good!

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

How wonderful that you won Vegan Noodle's truffles! I'm sure they were delicious. The African stew and sweet potato tacos look so yummy.

MeloMeals said...

That stew looks amazing..

gc said...

wow that african stew with friend tempeh looks amazing. and i adore sweet potatos. ive still been meaning to try your oatmeal pudding...some day!

keep up the posting! i think everyone can agree...you have beautiful food!

take care!

Bonnie said...

Glad to see another post of yours! It's packed with delicious food again... I'm sure I would love that stew, with peanut butter but definitely with almond butter, too!

I've only had tempeh a couple of times and I'm not sure how to prepare it. It's been a while since I had it, so I think I'm going to buy it again next time I find some in a store. Pity it always goes bad so quickly... I guess I should just eat it right away x)

Those truffles are beautiful! You're lucky you got to eat them.

Your popcorn does look like a great snack - mine is usually very boring (I use a package to put in the microwave that has only salt and oil, I think). I've been looking for other toppings, thanks for suggesting the sauce.

I need to make tacos/burritos soon, too, I think I've only had them once! and your pudding looks good as always :)

Lindsay (Happy Herbivore) said...

yum! I always want one of everything on your blog!

J said...

We missed you! Glad to see you're still eating. :D

You are so creative in the kitchen! The stew you made looks really good! Thanks for all the ideas!

Vegan_Noodle said...

I know what you mean, sometimes I look and it's been a week since I posted!! Life is just busy I suppose...

I am in love with tempeh too. Definitely my fave compared to tofu and seitan.

So glad you liked the truffles!

Hope you're having a great week :-)

Alison Nicole said...

Yum!! That stew looks so good. I love peanut sauces. And I would love to try it with almonds!

I agree with your comments about tempeh. It's just too good. I love anything tempeh and broccoli! :o)

Anonymous said...

Hi! Wow... I think you should publish your own vegan cookbook!! I'll soo... buy it!! Anyway ,just a question! I've noticed that you always use silicon/plastic cutlery - why is that?! lol just curious

Unknown said...

This post was worth waiting for with all the lovely pictures. I've been eating spinach raw as a salad of late. With a little olive oil and sea salt it's quite tasty. When I saw the vegan truffles I just thought "Wow!" and can't wait for some I'm getting sent from Hipo Hyfryd in Cardiff.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

So thrilled that you're back, Ruby Red!! :0)

Oh my, that African Spinach Stew and Breakfast Pudding looking SENSATIONAL - I love the quinoa rendition of the pudding, especially!!!

Don't disappear again, girl! :0D

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

that stew looks SO good!

and you can make your own microwave popcorn, it's really easy actually. just put a handful of popcorn kernals in a bowl with a tiny bit of oil and some salt and whatever flavorings you want (like garlic powder or cayenne or nooch or anything), put the popcorn in a paper bag, staple the bag shut and use it just like the store bought kind (1-2 minutes on High, sort of thing). It totally works! And don't worry about the staple being metal, it's too small to cause trouble. I learned this trick from Alton Brown. :)

Ruby Red said...

Dearest Anonymous:

Thanks for the compliment! That's so nice of you! Though I have glass Pyrex bowls also, I have plastic cutlery because I live in a dorm room. I have a set of 4 plates, 4 of each utensil, 4 bowls, and 4 cups - and that's all I have. The only reason I use it is because my mom got it for free, and that's better than paying money for my own set. I want new dishes, but that costs money! And I like spending my money on fun groceries, not dishes. :)

Linda said...

mmm i adore sweet potatoes!

Cakespy said...

Oh my, I have had the pleasure of trying Miss Vegan Noodle's truffles and can attest--they are AMAZING.

And that stew looks killer!

Ashasarala said...

I've only ever had tempeh in a faux chicken salad recipe and I really need to broaden my horizons. I find that plain tempeh kinda tastes... really gross. But I've gotta start cooking it in other ways. Yours looks really good with the spinach stew.

I won the truffles too! Aren't they the greatest? I, unlike you, had absolutely no self-control and swallowed them down the second I opened them! haha

I never saw Katie's post for Sweet Potato Crispy Corn, but that's quite an idea. Quick, easy and filling. It looks extremely yummy to boot!

Kumquat Peekapoo said...

Everything looks really yummy, and I'm especially intrigued by the cheezy popcorn. I've never thought of trying sauce with popcorn, but I'm going to have to try that now.

Lizzy said...

Oh my... another mind blowing update! First of all.... everything looks fantastic! I saved the spinach recipe, it looks so satisfying!

I've never tried Tempeh before... and it's rather expenisve around here... And I'm not even a big fan of Tofu (anythings acutally that is prepared in a way to replace meat). Do you recommend it?

VeganCowGirl said...

The African Stew looks amazing. Great photographs.

Veggie said...

Tag! You're it! I'm tagging you to name five things about yourself that others may not know.

In the post, link back to my blog, and tag five others (also linking to their blogs).

Sorry if you've done this one before!