Pumpkin-Pecan Oatmeal Raisin Pudding

Serves 1
1 cup cooked quick oats
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/16 teaspoon ground cloves (1/4 of your 1/4 teaspoon measure)
1/2 teaspoon blackstrap molasses
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons roughly chopped pecans
1/4 cup canned pumpkin
2 tablespoons raisins
1 cup unsweetened soymilk
sweetener to taste (I only used 1 teaspoon agave nectar, but I would have liked the final product to be much sweeter. Next time I'll try 2 teaspoons to 1 tablespoon maple syrup or turbinado sugar.)
Note: If you use sucanat or brown sugar as your sweetener, you may omit the blackstrap molasses! These types of sugars are already molasses-y.
To make 1 cup cooked oats, microwave 1 cup water and 1/2 cup quick oats on high for 1 minute and 30 seconds in a microwave safe bowl with all ingredients except pecans and soymilk. Combine cooked mixture with soymilk in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and then turn down heat. Simmer uncovered – stirring occasionally – for 20 minutes, or until oatmeal reaches desired thickness. Remove pan from heat and sprinkle with pecans.
Note:
If you aren't using unsweetened soymilk, you might want your breakfast to be even sweeter. Listen to your taste buds and sweeten to taste!
Nutty Fig & Banana Oatmeal

Serves 1
1/2 cup quick oats, dry
1/2 cup bananas, sliced
1 tablespoon almond butter or other nut butter
1 dried Turkish fig
1/2 teaspoon blackstrap molasses
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (not imitation)
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon or dash pumpkin pie spice
Combine quick oats, 1/2 cup water, molasses, vanilla, and cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice in a microwave-safe bowl and heat in microwave for 45 seconds on high power. Use your fingers to tear fig into small chunks, add to bowl, and microwave for another 45 seconds. After cooking, stir in the bananas. Lightly swirl in almond butter or keep all the almond butter on your spoon as you breakfast. (This way the luscious taste will not get lost in the mass of oats! You will have almond-y taste in every bite.) Enjoy this decadent yet nutritious breakfast – the molasses and vanilla really add the depth that a plainer bowl of oatmeal just doesn’t have!
Variations:
I've also tried combining the microwaved oatmeal with 1/2 cup soymilk on the stove. Bring to a boil, and turn down the heat to a simmer until oatmeal reaches the desired consistency. Add your bananas and nut butter afterwards. This version is a lot creamier and more pudding-y!
Test Driving the New Belgian Waffle Maker
For Christmas, I got a Belgian waffle maker! It's been at my aunt's house all semester - until this week. I made waffles the morning after my beloved machine entered my dorm room.
Day one: Pumpkin Waffles from Vegan with a Vengeance rock! I topped the waffles with a drizzle of macadamia nut butter, sliced bananas, and pecans.


After my first bite of banana mixed with waffle, I decided the tastes didn't go together too well, and I proceeded to eat every banana slice before continuing to eat the actual waffle.

Mr. Waffle was much more enjoyable after that. These are so good! Here you can see my macadamia nut butter.
Day two: I have learned my lesson and bananas are not touching my pumpkin waffles, not ever again! Hehe, having pumpkin waffles two mornings in a row is the best! I am the most spoiled college student on campus with this breakfast. I love my Belgian waffle maker...

Any time is the right time for cookies!
I think my Sparkled Ginger Cookies from Vegan with a Vengeance are so dark because I used blackstrap molasses instead of what the recipe called for: plain molasses. I'm used to the taste of blackstrap molasses, and it really packs a punch of calcium and iron, so these cookies were yummy! I didn't roll them out, so they were super thick. Next time, I'll make them flatter so I can have a larger number of thin cookies. More cookies = infinitely better.

VeggieGirl posted a recipe a while back for Almond-Butter-Hemp Cookies. I love almond butter, but I happened to have a brand-new baby jar of macadamia butter ready to be used. So I made Macadamia-Butter-Hemp cookies. Ever since my Valentine's Day treat of a peanut butter cookie from Chicago Diner, I had been in the mood for another nut butter cookie. This time I figured I'd make my own!

While macadamia butter is expensive and has less calcium and protein than almond butter, it's very delicious. To me, it tastes like a cross between peanut butter and almond butter. I really, really, really liked these cookies, and these are now designated as my "special treat" cookies - the cookies I will make on those days where I really deserve a cookie. Check out VeggieGirl's recipe, and you'll also see that these cookies contain hempmilk - yum! P.S. These cookies taste amazing dunked in a soy latte (decaf). I don't know how I've been eating cookies for so long without a soy latte by their side!

Yay for sugar, spice, and everything nice! Waffles, cookies, and oatmeal certainly fit this description.
28 comments:
everything looks so unbelievale I don't know where to begin.
1. i love pudding. i love pumpkin. pumpkin pudding? ugh YES PLEASE now. thank you!
2. those waffles make me remember why i like breakfast at dinner... bfast rocks way to much to only eat when sleepy, and those waffles rock my socks off!
3. oatmeal. mmm. another way to eat it! wahoo.
4. hemp is my new fave vegan product
5. send that coffee-latte my way. i need it.
You truly amaze me with your breakfasts... each time I think you've created the best breakfast possible, you prove me wrong by making an even better-looking one!
I thought *my* waffle-y breakfasts were decadent until I saw yours. Now I am ashamed of my frozen waffle meals hehe.
And the ginger cookies-- Don't be surprised if you one day find me at your dorm room begging for a cookie!
You are the breakfast QUEEN! (Oatmeal Queen too!!)
Wowowowow. I just want to eat breakfast every meal of the day just so I can eat all these delicious meals you make.
Ruby, your breakfasts blow my mind! I have to agree with everyone else. You're the Queen of Vegan breakfasts(I like sweet breakfasts, although I enjoy tofu scramble too every now and then).
I feel so bad that my breakfast today consisted of half a toasted pita pocket with a sunflowerseed tomato bell pepper spread and 3 lonely slices of yellow bell pepper. Ah well, at least I started to eat breakfast again.
But seriously... I imagine you have people knocking at your door early in the morning because the whole dorm probably smells like perfection. And that belgian waffle maker... so much better than my waffle maker(which I have abandoned for years, I should make waffles again!). What a great gift!
I think I might try the cookies. I have cashew butter at home which I love so much that I could eat the whole jar in one sitting. Do you think that would work in the cookies, too? Because cashews are rather "tasteless" and maybe they will turn out flavorless.
You are the most spoiled college student ever! Don't people realize that cooking yourself is so much yummier than restaurant/cafeteria? I guess they don't. Oh well, more for us!
That fig and banana oatmeal looks and sounds fantastic! I love oatmeal, and am always looking for new variations!
Oooohhhh, and those Sparkled Ginger Cookies look great!
The oatmeal sounds fantastic. I must agree with everyone that you do make a terrific breakfast.
pudding, oatmeal, waffles, cookies... Ruby Red, you're a breakfast genius!! love everything you made; and I'm so glad that you enjoyed the cookies, especially :0)
Oi. That all looks sooo good! I want to make that oatmeal NOW, but I'm afraid I should wait until it's morning and breakfast time... anyway, thanks for the yummy recipes. I never quite know what to do with my oatmeal, so this is very helpful!
those macadamia cookies look sensational! and waffle-cookie-oatmeal is like, 77% of my favourite foods, so um, Awesome Food High Five!
eviiiiiiil, you are tempting me with everything in this post!
Whoa, the pumpkin pudding looks so awesome!
Holy carbohydrate heaven! I am loving everything here.
You sure put my lazy ways of preparing frozen oatmeal to shame- It all looks incredible! Especially the waffles... I haven't had any for ages, since a waffle iron is sort of frowned upon for use in a dorm.
Haha sure I will trade you some kale for a ginger cookie… but I think I’d be getting the better end of the deal! Definitely try the sweet potato burritos… the sweetness of the sweet potato works so well with the slightly salty refried beans.
The brownie recipe I used was from How it all Vegan, and it was good, but a bit sweet for me. Oddly enough, I think that the best vegan brownies I’ve ever had were from a box mix—Cherrybrook Kitchen! Oh, and I can’t forget about the brownies at the amazing vegan restaurant, Spiral Diner :o). I’ve never made vegan blondies, but the college I went to for my freshman year sometimes had blondies that were sooooo delicious! I wish I knew how they made ‘em.
So you know I'm loving those oatmeal puddings and must have one soon! Nice job on the waffles and cookies too.
Oh, your oatmeal recipes are making me wish for cold mornings!! Thanks so much for posting them.
I've never had macadamia nut butter on my waffles, but I always top them with peanut or cashew butter... I'll have to give that variation a try!
I've got some chocolate hempmilk in the fridge that needs to get used...maybe in cookies?!?
I've never thought to make the burritos in corn tortillas... thanks for the idea :o).
Yes, the one thing I really miss about the college I went to freshman year (Bryn Mawr, in Pennsylvania) is the vegan treats they made. My favorite was the vegan carrot cake, but sometimes they had cookies, sometimes chocolate cake, chocolate mousse pie, pumpkin pie, and every morning there were vegan muffins! But the school was too small for me (it was hard to get into classes, and they didn't offer enough classes), so I had to leave. But oh, that vegan carrot cake!!!
every time I visit your blog I just want to make cookies. They look so yummy
Wow, look at all that yummy vegan goodness!
Those waffles look larger than life! I just got my first waffle maker, but sad to say, it isn't Belgian. I always wondered what was so especially wondrous about Belgian Waffle Makers as opposed to a regular kind. Perhaps you could shed some light on it? Though, the pictures DO sorta speak for themselves. :)
I've never, ever tried any kind of nut butter beyond peanut. I really want to, though. The cookies look amazing. Veggie Girl is always coming up with great yummies!
Speaking of chocolate-covered sundaes, did you ever go to Dairy Queen in your pre-vegan days? They used to have ice cream cones that they dipped in chocolate, and the chocolate would get hard. They also had butterscotch and cherry flavors. My favorite was the butterscotch! I wish they would come up with a vegan version... actually, I'd even be happy if they just started selling vegan soft-serve. The Spiral Diner used to have vegan soft serve (the swirly kind), but they discontinued it-- boo :o(
It's been WAY too long since I've had waffles....
Yes, pannenkoeken are pretty delicious. I'm sure other recipes online work just fine (I've made good ones in the past), so I'll be trying again soon :)
Oh and I recommend making the cashew ricotta... so yummy.
Maybe I'll make the vwav scones too, I haven't decided yet. I've already made a scone recipe from that book once, but maybe I'll try something else this time. I'd love to see pictures of your tea party, too!
I love how you say you “grace[d] Dairy Queen with [your] presence”. Poor Dairy Queen—they’ve lost a wonderful girl as a customer. I know what you mean about the Blizzards! I used to get them all the time when I was in middle school. I particularly liked the mint-chocolate-chip ones. Oh-my-gosh, those things are like a heart attack waiting to happen! They’re probably worse than a big mac, with all their sugar and saturated fat (and probably trans fat). *Shudder*
LOL I want to go to your old college now, just so I can be near a place that serves Oatscreme. I had it once, in Austin. I ordered a big cup, and my dad tried a bite and had to order his own (and he’s not even a big dessert eater!). The next day, HE actually asked ME if we could go back to the bakery and get some more Oatscreme! Naturally, I couldn’t turn him down.
Oh, and yes, I did drain/press the tofu for the cheesecake. Mmmm I should make that again. In case you’re interested, here’s where I found the recipe: http://bakingsheet.blogspot.com/2005/09/imbb-19-i-cant-believe-its-vegan.html
Have a stellar day, my friend.
Thank you for this recipe! I added just shy of 1 tsp (3 or 4 grams) of sahlab (a.k.a. salep), a Middle Eastern drink/pudding mix made of starch (from orchids) and sugar. It has a very subtle flavor, and enhanced the puddinginess nicely. If you've never tried it before, you can find it at most Middle Eastern markets. Thanks again for the wonderful breakfast!
Your waffles look very professional & were probably delish. I would like to have one right now!
And those are some of my favorite ginger cookies- I make them often.
You have a great blog - I'm adding you to my blog roll so I remember to come back often :)
Post a Comment