Thursday, March 27, 2008

Disney World, Parte Dos

And the Disney adventures continue! As much as I'd like to tell you every detail about my trip, I'm mostly sticking to the eating part - my mission is to show you that eating vegan is totally possible at Disney World.

Day Two


Our first part in terms of the parks was Disney's Hollywood Studios (formerly MGM). Every morning I cooked oatmeal or hot quinoa cereal for myself back at the room in our resort, which had a kitchen, so the first meal we had in the park was lunch. We stopped at Backlot Express, a quick, fast-food type restaurant. I had a gander at the ingredients list for the Grilled Vegetable Sandwich before ordering it, sans cheese.





The sandwich came on a black olive ciabatta roll with mushrooms, red peppers, zucchini, tomato, watercress, and sundried tomato pesto. A cold black bean salad was served on the side. I was glad to have the protein from the black bean salad, because too many people and too many restaurants think vegetarian means replacing meat with lots of vegetables and vegetables only, but the bean salad didn't actually taste too great. I liked the ciabatta bread, though!

I had a yummy vegan Apple Cinnamon Pretzel for a snack from Min & Bill's Dockside Diner at the park, as well. (My guide suggested that it was vegan, and Min & Bill's also has an ingredient listing for their food. While looking at their ingredient book, I also saw that this pretzel was nearly 500 calories... Yikes! I shared this whopper with each and every member of my family, hehe.) This thing tasted like apple pie stuffed inside a pretzel - it was pretty good!



Dinner was at Brown Derby, a pretty upscale sit-down restaurant inside Disney's Hollywood Studios. Believe it or not, nothing had to be custom-made for me because a vegan entree was already on the menu!: a Noodle Bowl with Wok-Fried Coconut Tofu, complete with sugar snap peas, edamame, mushrooms, bok choy, and red curry. P.F. Chang's was the old recipient of Ruby's Red Vegan's Favorite Tofu Award, but Brown Derby is the new winner. The tofu was breaded with coconut flakes; it was perfect - not too oily - and the bowl was garnished with a stalk of bok choy sticking a foot out from the plate! Everything was served over a giant bed of really thin and delicious noodles, and there was a short layer of soupy curry liquid in the bottom. This meal was so utterly fabulous, it only took a little bit of food to feel completely satiated (as in, my palate was satisfied).



The dessert menu also featured something vegan: Mixed Berries with Mango Ice. The mango ice part seemed questionable to me at first, but the waitress assured me the chef said I could have it. The mango ice turned out to be amazing - so much better than sherbet or sorbet. The meal in its entirety was high-class and thoroughly enjoyable.



Day Three


My third day in Florida was spent at Disney's Animal Kingdom, a sort-of African-themed theme park complete with animals and rides and a really cool giant tree. Lunch was at Restaurantosaurus, a euphemism for McDonald's. But my handy-dandy vegan guide hinted that this particular McDonald's carried vegan Boca burgers, and a peek at the location's ingredient list confirmed this. So, here, I enjoyed a Vegetarian Burger with Apple Slices.



They microwaved the burger instead of grilling it, so I didn't have to fear that meat grease was smeared over my burger. I'd watch out for the fries here, because I believe all McD's fries have beef-derived "goodies" inside - ick! I love the taste of the vegan Boca burgers, so this lunch was simple and made me happy. There was even a topping bar so I could dress my burger to my fancy. My only gripe was that this lunch left me incredibly hungry for the rest of the day - I would have fared better with two Boca patties on my bun.

My family and I stayed at Disney's Old Key West resort, and we ate a sit-down meal at the resort's cafe, Olivia's. The chef came out to ask me what I'd like, but I had not a clue as to what to request so I asked him what he could make. He suggested risotto, which I quickly agreed to, and my dad spoke up, "Doesn't risotto have cheese?" And I said, "Dad, you can make risotto without cheese!" I looked at the menu to get an idea of which vegetables the kitchen already had on hand, and mentioned a few of my favorite vegetables as well. A little while later, the chef hand-delivered the customized dish and explained each item on the plate: marinated Portobello mushrooms, asparagus, maple sweet potatoes, baby carrots dusted with brown sugar, and a risotto in the middle with soy cheese - the soy cheese was a surprise the chef hadn't let me in on!



I was impressed not only that the kitchen had soy cheese on hand and that the "cheese" didn't taste like stinky feet, but I was also floored by the individual tastes of each different item on the plate - this man knew how to cook! He did fabulously on the vegetables, and it really is a privilege to have your meal handmade by the chef. Nothing was too oily or too salty, or overcooked or undercooked. Everything had flavor. My favorites on the plate were the marinated mushrooms and the maple-licious sweet potatoes. I also liked the risotto a lot - I'm no longer a risotto virgin! Overall, I was also impressed that this guy prepared five different items for my plate. He swung by the table while we were chowing down and asked if I was going to go hungry that night. That was a definite NO! I told him how well everything was cooked and I hope I expressed how much I appreciated the meal. For dessert I had mixed berries. I'm sure getting my share of fruit on this trip!



My favorites on the trip so far? The Wolfgang Puck Express Mediterranean Vegetable Wrap, the Chocolate Tofutti "ice cream" with berries from Spoodle's, the Wok-Fried Coconut Tofu from Brown Derby, and my mixed vegetables and risotto plate at Olivia's. Mmm... I'll be back soon with day four! Get excited!!

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh boy! That dinner at Olivia's looks amazing. EVERYTHING looks amazing. How great of the chef to hand serve it to you. =)

Alison Nicole said...

Wow! Who would have ever known DisneyWorld could have such a variety of Vegan foods! You're a brave girl for trying...and thanks for sharing your experiences!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! all that food looks sooooooo incredibly yummy! the last meal especially...and tofu with coconut? mmmmmm! your photos are awesome. now i want to go to disney world.

Alicia said...

I hate it when I can't be sure if something's vegan or not. Imagine if you were in Japan instead of Disneyland! the wondering, the non-eating-just-in-case... It makes me crazy just to think about it! Good thing you found so many lovely meals!

russ said...

wow wow wow and WOW! I'm utterly amazed at the food! That giant tree was pretty cool but nothing could beat the huge mountain with the yeti inside. weeeeeeeeeee! Did you have a chance to go on all the rides between your eating?

Simple and Divine said...

This is so adorable!!! I loved reading every bit of your vacay posts, and felt like I was there with you...Although I'm an omni, I DEFINITELY prefer both the TASTE, TEXTURE, aaaand flavor of Tofu/other meat substitutions to actual meat. Again, I adored reading this! Such fun <3

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Now I want to go to Disney World just to try the tofu that is apparently better than PF Changs and Pei Wei! Is that the weirdest reason to want to go, or what?!

It's so cool that they had soy cheese at one of the places there! The world is truly changing for the better :o).

Anonymous said...

Your trip continues to amaze and impress me... Seriously, I wouldn't even hope to eat this well even spending a day out in my own home town!

Animal-Friendly said...

Wow- this post really makes me want to go to Disney World (something I've never wanted to do)! All of the food looks delicious and it's great to hear that most of it was actually good!

Your trip seems to be full of restaurant surprises- first chocolate Tofutti, now soy cheese! Can't wait for the fourth day

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

ahh, it's so fun and exciting being able to read about YOUR recent trip, at the same time as posting mine :0)

"an apple pie stuffed inside of a pretzel" - that is seriously one of the most scrumptious, tantalizing descriptions of a dessert/food that I have EVER heard!! oh man!! :0D

russ said...

I went to disney 3 times when i was little, and again last year! Animal kingdom was by far my favourite, and the finding nemo show was great! Although I almost missed the whole show - I nipped out to the bin with my banana skin, and made it back through just as automatic doors started to close(!)
The baby giraffes were the cutest!
I'm still so gutted that we missed out on all this awesome food (my whole family is vegan!)

Bonnie said...

I am excited about your next post!
This all looks awesome, every single dish you get looks excellent and surprisingly well prepared. Except maybe the hamburger meal, which isn't that special, but it's still cool that they have vegan burgers there! Now I want to go to DW sooo bad... I'd actually be interested in reading more about the non-food part of your trip as well, but I understand it's all way too much to fit into a post :)
Really, I'm sure I would love all of those meals they served you! I'm hungry now.

I don't think I've ever had a pretzel, weird.

Lizzy said...

OH wow everything looks fantastic!
That pretzel makes me curious. Apple pie, mhh! And that in a pretzel must be perfection!
And I want to marry that cook!

I love you for posting so many pics and detailed stories, I feel like I'm the one who was on vacation =p
Can't wait for the next post!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

We should SO go to Portland together sometime... I want to go there for the food too! And I want to hit up Seattle!

Vegan road trip!

ChickPea said...

Um, so can I come on your next vacation?

Anonymous said...

I sure didn't think the evil corporate empire of Disney could be so accomidating to the veganite! Bravo for helping me to see beyond the clichés!

J said...

It looks like you fed yourself mighty well, vegan style, in Disney World, who would have thought it was possible?

Jess said...

Wow, that is so awesome that you've been able to find vegan meals fairly easily while on vacation! It always makes me a little nervous when traveling that I won't be able to find anything when I'm starving! And what a nice guy that chef was who made the soy cheese risotto. That is seriously really refreshing to know that some chefs can be that accomodating--and do it with a smile! :)

Also, I would really appreciate some of that delicious coconut tofu. That made my mouth water!

Lindsay (Happy Herbivore) said...

insanely jealous

Veggie said...

So exciting to read about pt.2 of your trip to Disneyworld.

It looks like the chefs really go all out to get your meal right, especially at Olivia's. So nice of McDonald's to have Boca burgers for vegans and to cook them in the microwave for you.

tofufreak said...

AAAHHHHH!!! everything looks so gooodd!!! totally makes me want to go to WDW!!! its so nice that ppl were so accommodating to vegans!!

Sarah P said...

I am too jealous of the coconut-crusted tofu to say anything right now.

aTxVegn said...

I have never been to Disney World. What a great place to eat. And how nice you got such special attention!

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

I love how Mcdonalds is called 'Restaurantosaurs' like the big monster that it is, hee hee.
Your dinner at Olivia's looks fabulous! And I would have helped you with that pretzel, no problem. :D

Vegan_Noodle said...

I"m continually amazed that you ate so well!! That coconut crusted tofu looks awesome... I may have to try and make some of that on my own!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lindsay I-F said...

The coconut crusted tofu noodle bowl from The Brown Derby was amazing!