Monday, March 24, 2008

Disney World, Part I

Hey everyone! I'm back from Disney World after a nine day trip... While I was there, I had a mission: to get fabulous vegan meals. With my guide in hand, I figured little could go wrong. Now I'm here to share the good, the bad, and the ugly. Let's get started:



Looks delicious, right? But what you don't see is the big, big problem that almost occurred. My mother, father, sister and I had our first meal at Wolfgang Puck Express, a counter service cafe in Downtown Disney Marketplace. We paid for the Disney Dining meal plan for 10 days, which entitled us to ten table service meals and ten counter service meals, each including a non-alcoholic beverage, an entree, and a dessert - and on the dining plan, we were also eligible for ten snacks each which would be designated by an icon at select dining locations and snack stands throughout Disney world and the resorts.

Disney is a very accomodating place food-wise for people with food allergies, vegetarians/vegans, and people with other health-related dietary restrictions. So I expected to be dealing with a pro when I asked the cashier at Wolfgang Puck what my options were as a vegan. I ended up choosing the butternut squash soup and a Granny Smith apple for dessert. When the soup was delivered, it was gorgeous with a red pepper and chive garnish. To be safe, I asked the food runner if the soup contained any dairy products. Thank goodness for precaution, because otherwise I would have taken a bite of soup with heavy cream! Yuck and sooo not vegan! The runner took the soup back uneaten and the chef came out to ask what I would like instead. We talked and decided that he would make me a wrap in a tortilla (because he was smart and knew that vegans don't eat honey, and all the breads at Wolfgang contain honey). What I was delivered was the most delicious roasted vegetable wrap I have ever tasted. The Mediterranean Vegetable Wrap was a blend of sun-dried tomatoes and sauteed eggplant, bell peppers, mushrooms, and zucchini. I hate oily vegetables, but whatever the chef did to them was absolutely wonderful. It tasted like some sort of thick-ish glaze with a vegetable oil base, and it was divine, divine, divine. I was so glad the chef was familiar with the needs of a vegan and that he could think on his feet and create a delicious meal and make me feel special. I made sure to find him after the meal and thank him, too, because I really appreciated it.

For dinner, we had reservations for our first table service meal at Spoodles, a Mediterranean-inspired restaurant situated on a white-picket pier right along Disney's Boardwalk Resort. Prior arrangement had notified the restaurant of my vegan status and the waitress sent the chef out straight away to talk to me about my options. Instead of creating a new dish, together we selected combining the Hummus appetizer (with animal-free lavash instead of the whey-containing pita bread) and the White Bean Moussaka entree into my meal. The moussaka (white bean puree, eggplant, spicy chunky tomatoes, olive oil) was originally a vegetarian entree and the chef agreed to eliminate the cheese for me.



The lavash turned out to be the perfect complement to the hummus and was doughy and wondrous. The hummus was a very good one - I even got my processed-lunch-meat-eating, doughnut-and-steak-loving mother to try hummus for the first time and it passed the taste test. She loved it! I've never had moussaka before, but it was assembled like lasagna - with a layer of eggplant instead of lasagna noodles. I dug in after inspecting my meal for cheese and was pleased to find that the white bean puree was a pretty "creamy" element itself in the moussaka. I loved the eggplant layers and was astounded that I had gotten such a protein-packed meal between the hummus and moussaka - and having beans other than soybeans was a nice break too!



I will say that the moussaka seemed like it was missing something, probably because it was "veganized" from the cheesy version instead of being created as a vegan meal in its own right. Of course, I was also curious to see if the waitress would offer me dessert. You should have seen how excited I was when she informed me they had Tofutti and Rice Dream "ice creams"! Can you believe that - from a non-veg restaurant?! I couldn't. I was ecstatic when I first tucked into my dish of Chocolate Tofutti, and the kitchen also surprised me with a bowl of strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries. The dessert made my night, and I'd never had chocolate Tofutti before and decided it was so creamy and delicious that it's now my new favorite non-dairy ice cream.



So basically I felt like a queen that day. I had two chefs cater to my needs, which is such a change from my college city and my hometown. If you say "vegan" in a restaurant, they say, "Huh?"

I'll be back with more fun later! I hope you enjoyed my first day of dining at the Disney resort, and there is definitely more to come.

23 comments:

Bonnie said...

Oooh, I enjoyed this post very much!
I'm glad you had a good time there [well, judging by this post at least. I hope the rest of the trip was fun, as well!]

Look at all that food! Those people a Disney world are excellent cooks... The wrap looks incredibly yummy and it's great that they have soy/rice ice cream there. Maybe they get lactose intolerants who eat that, too, as they had different kinds!
Man, I need to get myself to Disney World!

... It's not very likely that I'm going there, though, so I'll just sit here and enjoy your posts about it :)

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

hooray for vegan-friendly meal finds in the "happiest place on earth" - good thing you checked about that soup at Wolfgang Puck's little cafè! that would NOT have been good, haha.

I'll be reading about your Disney World adventures while you'll be reading about my NYC adventures :0)

Anonymous said...

Where else did you eat? I am going in August and am hoping to find good things to eat! Did you try Chef Mickey's or the Crystal Palace by chance? Yak and Yeti? Thanks!!

Ruby Red said...

Anonymous:

It's cool that you'll be going to Disney World this summer also! I did not go to any of the places that you mentioned, but I certainly did make my way around because I was there for a week and a half. Stay tuned and I'll reveal where else I ate - and hopefully my posts can help you to be sufficiently prepared for your trip! :)

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Yuck—why do they feel the need to put heavy cream in soup that would taste better without it?! But it’s great that you were able to avoid disaster and wind up wih a delicious-looking veggie wrap. And wow, I am amazed and very excited to know that they have tofutti ice cream!!!

The Middle Eastern food looks terrific. I love how you can always count on Middle Eastern places to have vegan options.

I look forward to part two :o).

Lizzy said...

Oh... my... Go... WOW!!! Glad you had such a good time.
I'm jealous, but so happy for you that you were treated with yummy veganized food. It's awesome that the chef made you a wrap(which looks incredible btw) and everyone was awesome about you being vegan and offered their help. I don't really see this around here sadly =(

I'm excited what you'll post about next =D

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh!! I can't believe how much yummy vegan food there is at Disney World... this makes me want to go JUST for the food!

J said...

I am so glad to hear how accomodating Disney was for you! And good for you for being able to speak up and get what you want! (I am not so good at that...yet.) The meals look really good!

And now that you've paved the way for us, we can all go to Disney and dine like a queen!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great time in my part of the world! I live just outside of Orlando, and venture to Downtown Disney a few times a month!
Wolfgang Puck has a fantastic sushi bar with the best vegan vegetable roll you will ever eat!
And I didn't know that about Spoodles at the Boardwalk!! Now I'm going!! :D

(Oh, and "anonymous", Chef Mickey's was replaced with Rainforest Café about 10 or so years ago!)

Anonymous said...

wow...lucky you! that tofutti ice cream looks sooooo good! and all the other meals too!

Lindsay (Happy Herbivore) said...

that food looks WONDERFUL! I lived in Orlando for about 9 years :)

p.s. I have TWO dogs, but admit they look alike in photos... afterall they're both black and wrinkly!

I hope you had a great time! it sounds like you did!!!

Veggie said...

I love reading about your food adventures at Disney World. It's great to hear they are so accomodating, I guess the lesson here is to always double check.

I look forward to part two of your trip.

BitterSweet said...

I am seriously impressed! I would have thought that Disney of all places would be like hell for vegans, but those meals look really good. And even non-dairy ice cream? This might force me to reconsider my opinion of Disney in general!

lmnop said...

Sounds like a great trip! I was there once years ago...
Howcome you went? Just for fun? I agree with Chocolate Covered Vegan about the cream in soup. Not needed. Nope.
Glad to see you posted!
Have a nice rest of the day!

Vegan_Noodle said...

I would have never guesses that disney world would have plenty of options for vegans!! But that's great to hear. The dessert is especially a surprise, I rarely expect dessert when I go out to eat.
Can't wait to hear more about your adventures!

Rose said...

Tofutti ice cream in a non-veg restaurant??? Who knew!

Anardana said...

Glad you had good luck with food!

ChickPea said...

Wow--I think your dishes were likely the envy of the table! I love it when you can find considerate and creative chefs who are willing to cater to your preferences/needs. So often when you say vegetarian, the chef automatically thinks "Eggplant Parmesan." Can't wait to see what else you enjoyed last week!

russ said...

I can't believe there was so much food for you in disney! Over the past 20 years I've been there 4 times with family, and none of us ever even guessed there would be anything - most of the time we just smuggled in our own food! Next time (hopefully there'll be a next time!) I'll be armed with this info, and be expecting something a lot more exciting than a plate of fries!

Cherry said...

That's amazing, I had no idea that a place like Disney World would be at all vegan friendly! Tofuitti ice cream? Wow!

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised you got all that good food at Disney World! Bet you had a blast. I might be going to Disney Land in a couple months, and I hope they are just as accomodating!

Animal-Friendly said...

Those meals looks delicious! I definitely wouldn't expect food like that from Disney World.

And chocolate Tofutti?!?! That's amazing! I can only imagine how happy you must have been to find that at a non-vegan restaurant. Can't wait to read about the rest of the trip

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Ethiopian? You KNOW I am jealous! I need to get my fix of Ethiopian food sooooooon! (Although I shouldn't complain, since I *did* have a lovely Genghis-Grill stir fry last night.)