Wednesday, January 16, 2008

I Don't Really Miss Cheese, But Still -

I had a good experience with Little Caesar's Pizza a while ago: They made me an awesome cheeseless Vegetarian Pizza. Their website explains how Little Caesar's recognizes that the number of vegetarians in the United States is increasing and that they wished to accommodate these people by producing pizzas without any animal products. Their site states that ordering a Vegetarian Pizza without cheese would fit the requirements of a strict vegetarian (a.k.a. vegan - that's us!) diet. The same goes for the Crazy Bread: Ask for no cheese or butter on both items, and you should be safe.

So our family ordered from Little Caesar's again this week, and I had high hopes for another delicious pizza. But my dreams were shattered and ground into dust when I opened up the half-cheese, half-no-cheese veggie pizza and saw cheese seeping over the "half" line onto "my" portion of the pizza! Arrrrr! I threw a hissy fit over it - I had been excited all day to get this pizza, and my slices were inedible! My dad had to drive all the way back to the pizza place to get it replaced. The new pizza was quite delicious, though. They tried a little harder the second time: There were more veggies and they were arranged more nicely, the dough wasn't scrawny and misshapen, and it was nice and hot and not cheesy on "my" side of the pizza! The moral of the story? Little Caesar's, take the time to make my pizza right the first time, or I'll just make you re-do it!

You'd think after this experience that the sight of cheese or even vegan cheez would disgust me to no end. But no... Now silly Ruby Red Vegan decides that, even though she doesn't really miss cheese, she is going to dip into the world of vegan cheese substitutes for the first time.



I was going to make a Grilled Cheez Sandwich with tomato, but I forgot to buy tomatoes!

I used Galaxy Vegan American soy slices. I had to fry the sandwich, microwave it, and then toast it to get it to melt this much. It didn't taste exactly like cheese - it didn't really taste like much of anything - but it wasn't bad.







What be this?



It's Mac Daddy from Veganomicon! The Cheezy Sauce is excellent! I'm a big, big fan of nutritional yeast, and the sauce was very noochy. Mmm, mmm. My macaroni was made out of quinoa flour and corn flour. I really liked that part, too! It's weird that the finished concoction didn't taste as yummy as the separated parts, but I have leftovers so I'm hoping it's one of those things that is fantabulous once reheated. But the funny thing is, the Mac Daddy was so much more delicious than real mac 'n' cheese. Then again, I haven't had mac 'n' cheese in years and years: I abandoned it after I had one too many packets of Easy Mac. Gag.

These yummy Pumpkin Spice Muffins from pcrm.org are fat-free and very simple, but are so so so delicious and rich-tasting! I got the idea to make them from one of VeggieGirl's old posts.



An impromtu Vegan BBQ Chik'n Sandwich:





I'm the pancake queen! I can't stop making them - I'm obsessed. I can't control myself: I just wake up and my hands start making pancakes!!! These ones are Banana-Chocolate Chip.



Thanks for all the tahini recipes you guys offered up after my last post! I didn't realize so many others were having a hot love affair with that good ol' sesame seed paste... But I've joined the fun, too!

19 comments:

Unknown said...

The muffins look tasty!

Vegan_Noodle said...

Thanks for the tip about Little Caesars.. I remember eating their pizza as a kid. Not sure we have thme here in Houston anymore though. And glad you got your first try with vegan cheezes! I haven't made the V-con mac daddy yet, but I've made several others (my fave being Jess of Get Sconed's version of the New Farm mac and cheese).
And wow, you are obsessed with pancakes!! I'm thinking I'll be making some this weekend if I manage to get up early enough.
Oh, and I checked out pei wei for a quick dinner the other night, tried the teriyaki bowl w/ tofu and enjoyed it. Thanks for the tip!

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

ooh, nice mac daddy *.*

Anonymous said...

every single thing you posted about looks amazingly appealing to me. and I'm not even hungry at the moment!
who's yo' mac daddy? ;p

J said...

That's pretty cool that a mainstream food establishment like Little Caesar's is starting to accommodate those who don't eat animal products, we need to see more of that all around!

All this lovely food! You must have been one busy girl.

The Mac Daddy looks so good, and it's from a cookbook (the only one right now) that I actually have!

That Chik'n sandwich looks yummy as well. Did you make this yourself, or is this some product that you can buy ready-made at the store? I'm always nervous to try out the faux meat products as I didn't really like the taste of meat too much when I wasn't veg*n. That is what I love so much about seitan and tofu. Seitan reminds me of mushrooms, and tofu tastes like, well, pretty much whatever you put with it.

I love how you keep making all these variations n pancakes!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

You tell that pizza place, Ruby Red!

Your picture is making me crave macaroni so much it's ridiculous! Hopefully I can make some this weekend... I'm all set to make pancakes this weekend too. (I can't let you have ALL the fun!)

Oh, and Spiral Diner IS in Ft. Worth, but they're building one in Dallas-- yay yay yay! I've been to the one in Ft. Worth quite a few times; it's awesome-- vegan coconut curry noodles, Jamaican Jerk tempeh sandwiches, ice "cream" shakes, apple pie, brownies, and much much more! I love that place :o)

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

who knew Little Caesar's could be so vegan-friendly?? hopefully even MORE restaurant-chains will follow suit :0)

the muffins...the pancakes... my sweet-tooth has been activated! ;0)

I see that you too read Elastic Waist - such a funny website!! Be sure to listen very carefully to the first 30 seconds of today's Daily Special :0)

Anonymous said...

Wow. Everything on this post looks delicious!

I was glad to hear about Little Caesars. So many pizza restaurants add some kind of animal product and make it hard for us vegans to enjoy time with our friends. I have a Little Caesars close by so it's great to know that I can go to it whenever I don't feel like cooking. =)

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

oh my goodness, NOW I remember where I've seen you're name - on the Kath Eats blog!! haha, I'm so sorry that I confused the two - oops!! ah well - at least now you know about Elastic Waist, which is quite entertaining :0)

urban vegan said...

We had grilled vegan cheese sandwiches and tomato soup for dinner last nite--a busy nite standby.

That is sp progressive of Little Caesar's to have a vegan pie.

Anonymous said...

u can never have TOO many pancakes!

Ashasarala said...

I had no idea Little Caesars still existed. LoL I don't hear about them anymore! But that's awesome that they're doing what they can to veganize their pizzas. That was good of your dad to go back and demand a new one. ;)

I never heard of Galaxy cheese slices, but I am very exited to say that Rice brand cheese finally created a vegan version. They always claimed they were 'milk free', but then on the back it would say 'lactose (a milk derivative)'. It used to p me off, I tell ya. But now I get to try the new stuff. Whooot!

That macaroni and cheese looks too good for words. I've made something similar before, but it just didn't come out looking that cheesy!

I'm glad you like the cocoa recipe so much! I had gotten it from a cocoa container recipe and have been fiddling with it for a long time now. Finally I changed it enough to call it my own and it tastes so good! Let me know if you make any interesting changes to it. I'm still trying to better it even though it's still yummy. ;)

Rage And Love said...

Hahaha! I think we ARE opposites! I really did not enjoy the cheezy sauce from Veganomicon (as you see in my post)...it was too...bleh.

Love the pancakes!

Denise said...

Banana chocolate chip pancakes sound awesome! I love baking with bananas.

J said...

Wow! Your food looks amazing! You've inspired me to try the Mac Daddy. I was looking at the recipe yesterday.

Thanks for the tips on restaurants! I never thought about Little Cesars. I am a new vegan, so I guess I haven't figured out the restaurant thing yet.

Kristen's Raw said...

My boyfriend LOVES mac and cheese and hasn't had it since going vegan (and now he's pretty much Raw). I'd like to surprise him with it sometime soon as a little treat :)

Cheers!
Kristen's Raw

Cakespy said...

You and your cheese substitutes are KILLING ME with their apparent yumminess from these photos! I *love* A good soy cheese quesadilla. There is a place in Seattle that does AWESOME ones ( I am not vegan but I'd never eat the dairy one after trying the soy one! YUM!), it's called Bimbo's Bitchin' Burrito Kitchen if you're ever in town!

aTxVegn said...

You've been busy in the kitchen! I never was terribly cheese crazy, but a little on a pizza or sandwich and the occasional mac n cheez is nice. I'll have to make the Mac Daddy soon. I'm also not a breakfast person, but Katie said you've been a pancake maniac and you sure have! They're so quick and easy and versatile. I might just have to make them for dessert some night.

russ said...

Cheese... Hmmm... I used to really love the stuff back in the day, but now I am quite uninterested in the world of cheese. Most of the vegan cheeses I've tried have been just edible at best. I remember one such cheese that I tried on a pizza, but it refused to melt, but did ooze out some nice yellowy green oil, which was almost fluorescent, after which it charred and burned!
A more reason cheese disaster was one made out of pea protein. I don't think inedible quite covered it; it was like trying to eat a bit of slimy rubber, and smelt so bad (I think its since been taken off the shelves!!)
Who needs cheese...