
Gar, the Chocolate Chipper Cookies from The Chicago Diner Cookbook are not the least bit impressive. Then again, they're the first cookies I've ever made with soy margarine (in the form of Earth Balance). Maybe I just need to brush up on my cookies skills, but seriously, 90% of the cookies I make don't get messed up. These tasted like dry hard rocks, even though there was a ton of EB in them and were so not worth it. I even planned my dinner around them and everything, teehee!

Oh goodness, I cooked up the yummiest sammie this weekend! It's a falafel mix from a box, Butternut Squash Hummus (I used a Pumpkin Hummus recipe from havecakewilltravel.com), and spinach leaves on a toasted whole grain baguette from Whole Foods. WOW is all I can say for this guy!

One of my favorite restaurants is P.F. Chang's China Bistro. "My" menu item is the Vegetarian Lettuce Wraps - they give you a heaping plate of tofu and cool lettuce cups to wrap it in! It's the best tofu I've ever had. Okay, quick survey: where have you had the best tofu ever or what is the best tofu recipe ever?

I promise I eat other meals than breakfast! See, look:

It may be simple. But nutrition and the qualification of "yummy enough" are sometimes all this vegan requires. The spaghettini is topped with a butternut-tomato sauce made from canned butternut squash from Whole Foods and some organic tomato sauce.
Perfect for a tea party of unsuspecting dormmates...

These lovelies are Chocolate Chip Scones from Vegan with a Vengeance. I am also proud to say our tea party sported soymilk next to the icky cow juice at the tea-making station. No pictures of that, sorry. (I have a little phobia of pulling out my camera to take food pictures in public, but sometimes I force myself to do it!) I sprang the vegan factor on my hungry fellow partiers after all my scones were gone. Hehe. They didn't react badly either - they said, "Wow! They were really good!" and were nice little complimenters like that. :)

Annnnd I made my own pudding. Pudding is so kickin' and awesome when it's warm. It's Chocolate-Peppermint Pudding from the Fat Free Vegan blog, but I ignored Susan's peppermint flavoring instructions and used a drop of peppermint extract and a half teaspoon of vanilla instead. Peeerfect minty flavor right there!
If you refer to the title of my post, you may or may not know what "WDW" stands for. Listen to this: Walt. Disney. World. Yesss! I'm going to Disney World for my spring break - yeehaw! I leave tomorrow and am so excited for the adventure I have ahead of me. I'm fully armed with vegan dining information and am going to be fed very, very well this week. I am beyond excited and will document my dining adventures to the fullest of my ability while I'm there. I'm going to try to create a little vegan dining guidebook of my own when I come back - I'll dedicate a post to that! For now, I must pack and study up for my last midterm, so bye bye! I'll be back before you know it, but I'll taking an internet hiatus while I'm in sunny Florida, chillin' with Mickey and Minnie and all the homegirls and Disney Princesses.
26 comments:
wow! I think out of everything I'd go for the sammy...even though it all looks good! I just always seem to have a craving for falafels and hummus, and the twist on the hummus sounds super delicious! Your scones are so pretty too! Take Care and happy cooking!
Mmmmm... that hummus looks fab!
All your food looks wonderful! I look forward to your Disney World dining guide...Also, I added Ruby Red Vegan as a favorite of mine on my blog--I hope your don't mine.
Falafel, yum...making me yearn for summer when all the fresh produce is around, I eat falafel a lot more then.
Butternut Squash hummus? I'm liking the sound of that one a lot! I love butternut. Butternut tomato sauce? I need to come to you for all the butternut recipes, I haven't been too creative with it, and I love it!
You really have been cooking up a storm!
I love how your cookies & brussels sprouts are occupying the same space. :) PF Chang's, in my opinion, makes the best tofu for an omni restaurant. My favorite dish there is the Coconut Curry Vegetables, which also includes tofu. It's delicious. As for who makes the best tofu for a vegetarian/vegan restaurant, there are too many great ones to be able to choose!
It's a shame that the chocolate chip cookies were a disappointment, because that looks like my kind of meal: cookies and brussels sprouts, a perfect balance! ;)
How awesome is that? Walt Disney World! Whooot!
My favourite tofu has got to be the Chinese 'chicken' finger version. There are a couple of Asian vegan/vegetarian restaurants around here that sell them and they are to DIE FOR! It's almost like a really heavy dessert, though... so I rarely eat it. But it's soooooo good!
Buttnernut squash hummus sounds really good. I had never though of that. What an awesome idea! And falafel? Definitely a fave of mine. :)
Have fun on your trip!
Okay, yes, so I didn't know what WDW was until the end of the post. Have an awesome time!! Not sure if you've already left, but if not, VKO from Lifestyles of the Chic and Vegan recently went there and posted about it...might be helpful.
Too bad about your EB chocolate chip cookies. I tend not to use EB in cookies very often, I seem to prefer canola oil and applesauce, things like that.
As far as your tofu question, I think my fave that I eat out is Tofu luc lac (garlic sauce) from a local restaurant here called mo mong. We go there all the time and that's the only thing I'll order!!
Oh, and the butternut hummus sounds fabulous!
Once again I want to eat it all! Good looking update!
Lauren
Your foods, as always, look so yummy! Have fun in Disney, and I look forward to your report. I live in Tampa, so we go there every now and then. The last time we went, I had been vegan for oh, maybe two weeks, so I am sorry to say I did not fare very well due to my inexperience. Your tips will be greatly appreciated!
your food looks so delicious!! I love the falafel sammy. The chocolate chip pudding sounds really nice! minty delight.
have fun at WDW!
First of all, that's so exciting you're going to Disney World for spring break!!!
It's so cute how you've paired the chocolate-chip cookies with uber-healthy Brussels sprouts. I'm glad I'm not the only one who eats Brussels sprouts with odd combinations of foods (I like to eat some sprouts alongside some frozen waffles for breakfast!). Too bad about the cookies-- but it looks like the pudding and scones completely make up for them! And I SO want to be your dormmate now!
Oh yeah, and you KNOW how much I love those PF Changs lettuce wraps!
Those pictures are beautiful. I love brussel sprouts!
Chocolate Covered Vegan: We always seem to post on the same blogs. :)
that P F Chang dish looks amazing! I love the combination of hot savoury food with raw elements. also, the combination of cookies with brussels. ;)
I love PF Changs...I get the vegetarian lettuce wraps, vegetable steamed dumplings and ma po (spelling?) tofu with the silken tofu steamed...YUM! Oh, and I don't get all of these at once - haha.
Yes, I still eat cooked vegan sometimes - life is about balance :)
I need Falafel, oh yes! Yours look so good!
I still haven't had butternut yet... I'm such a procastinator, ugh!
Aww and look at the brussels sprouts next to the cookies and the coffee in the middle, I love this picture!
Hope you're having a blast! I've never been to Disneyland =( But I'm so excited to see your pictures =)
You certainly have some interesting food combo's in this post.
That's too bad about the chocolate chip cookies, isn't that annoying when you plan around a recipe (that you haven't made before) and it doesn't turn out.
I can't wait to hear how the vegan dining thing goes for you at Disney World. Have a great trip!
Wow - I'm so impressed. You eat so much better than I did when I was in college. I think I pretty much lived off of pancakes and beer :-/
Have a great trip!
-Jen
Have a great time!
so sorry that those cookies weren't impressive - I haven't made anything from that cookbook yet, but now I know to avoid that recipe, haha ;0)
you can't go wrong with falafel sandwiches (that hummus sounds amazing), scones, pasta, and pudding!! YUM!!
All your food looks ridiculously delicious! Im really wanting that tofu... mannnnn
I'm totally jealous of WDW. I haven't been since I was like 5. I'm dying to go back. Have funnn and take lots of pictures so we can live vicariously through you ;)
too bad the cookies didn't work out, but that sandwich on the other hand....yuuuummmM!!
i have heard that PF's was vegan friendly but have hesitated to go! now seeing your dish I will be going there soon! and everything else looks tasty, too!
I LOVE the tofu lettuce wraps... but I always make such a mess og myself when I eat them >_<
I hope you have/had (by now, I think) an awesome time in WDW! I can't wait to read more about your trip, and see pictures! :D
so many food pictures! that sandwich looks seriously gooood. and so do your other meals! pity the cookies didn't turn out as you hoped, though.
About the tofu... I don't know! When I use tofu myself it's usually scrambled. I like it the way it's prepared in Chinese restaurants, with yummy sauces and veggies...
Oh, and I also really love tofu in the Cashew Ricotta from Veganomicon! I used it in lasagna and that was oh so delicious.
Post a Comment