
Can you imagine my excitement when I saw this lovely container at my local Whole Foods? I've been wanting to try So Delicious's new soy yogurt forever! I believe "Cinnamon Bun" also wins the most-exotic-soy-yogurt-flavor-ever award. There are coffee and cheesecake and you-name-it dairy yogurts in widespread existence, so it's about time the vegans got something a little more exciting in the yogurt department.

I used my beloved yogurt to make a parfait for breakfast. I was inspired by a Coldstone concoction I used to like before I was vegan, but having soy yogurt is much healthier than having Coldstone ice cream, do you not agree? I've got some vegan cereal from Trader Joe's in there, some banana slices, and almond butter. Cinnamon is one of my favorite flavors to have with bananas and nut butter, so there you go. This was an awesome breakfast, and it was much faster than my normal ones.

Dreena Burton is a genius! Here are my Almond Butter Banana Turnovers, adapted from her Peanut Banana Tortilla Turnovers recipe in Eat, Drink & Be Vegan. These were divine. Just divine. I also had these for breakfast, but you could easily have them for lunch or dinner (then you wouldn't necessarily need the sprinkle of powdered sugar I added for a special breakfast touch). The almond butter and banana melt together so well through the tortilla in the skillet to make a super gooey, super nutritious treat! The tortillas are whole wheat, too!

This is as close as you get to eating brownies for breakfast without feeling guilty. The Chocolate Chip Brownie Waffles from Veganomicon are so rich and delicious that they don't need any topping. I just have them plain, without maple syrup or anything. I did feel the need to add a lovely blood orange to my breakfast, though, because even after adding some whole wheat pastry flour to these babies, I'm not sure how long chocolate breakfasts keep me full.

I saved the best for last! Here be some Banana Chocolate Chip Waffles, based on the Banana-Nut Waffle recipe from Veganomicon. I drizzled some almond butter on top to make them almost-Elvis waffles. As you may already know, bananas/peanut butter/chocolate is a food combination famously known as "The Elvis." Don't ask me why - maybe Elvis just liked it a lot or he actually invented it. But it's better with almond butter! This is my favorite waffle so far, except whenever I make banana waffles, I have to spend a full five minutes picking them out of my waffle iron. Those 'naners just don't want to unglue themselves from the metal plates. This waffle was actually in two pieces when I took it out of the iron - the top and bottom were completely separated! Thankfully the two halves were in good enough shape to take a picture. Mmm, I was in heaven this morning when I had these!
39 comments:
AHHH that parfait! The waffles! The CHOCOLATE waffles! You're killin' me! (Well, not really, but you know what I mean.)
Yes, definitely vegan yogurt is healthier than Cold Stone... not to mention, the animals thank you for eating it too, so it's a double bonus :o).
Will you still come to Texas even though the weather isn't 70 degrees anymore? (It's snowing right now) Pretty please with Soyatoo on top? If not, then I will just have to come there.
And it's been way too long since I've been to Pei Wei!
Oh I would have been in heaven with any of those waffles!! And I need to try that turnover!! I tried the cinnamon bun soy yogurt and thought the texture was a bit odd, but seems like it would work better as a parfait.
Oh my GOODNESS! Those turnovers look so good! I was wary of making them because the thought of heating a banana is just weird to me, but wow, I must try this now! And those waffles too...
Oh boy do I want that yogurt!!!
Hi! I hope you're having a lovely week :)
Cheers!
I am a yogurt fiend!! I'm so excited to hear the good news. I haven't found a soy yogurt I like, so here's hoping. Thanks!
And those waffles look bangin'.
Those breakfasts kick ass! Man, I really do miss my waffle iron...
that parfait, waffles!!! Almond butter turnovers!! All for breakfast? You must have been in heaven! I love this breakfast.
That parfait looks really refreshing.
what was the name of the cereal did you use?
You are the breakfast queen! I love all of your ideas! I'm so boring, it's usually oatmeal and bananas...
Your breakfasts always make my mouth water! You should really open up your own vegan breakfast spot after you graduate! Everything looks so wonderful! :)
I love all of the banana going on here--those waffles look particularly delectable, although the glistening turnovers are certainly tickling my fancy too!
cinnamon bun soy yogurt? must. get. some. now.
you know, I think I figured it out (and I'm really swift, because I'm about to say something obvious) -- the reason breakfast so CLEARLY rules, and it does, is because it's like the perfect blend of a dessert that must be healthy and easy to make. But still a dessert! That's healthy and easy to make! Oh, perfection. I think I gotta go make some pancakes now. :D
Wow! I'm new to the world of vegan but can I give you an award for having the most sensational, scrumptious yet CRUELTY FREE breakfast I've ever seen?!!
Yummm.... I really wanted to try the turnover with peanut butter and banana!!! ZOMG!!! *drooling excessively* - you can use pita bread can't you???
Anyways you should have a cookbook of ya own someday!! I mean who doesn't want to have a tasty, nutritious, drool-worthy AND animal free breakfast everyday?!! hahaha...maybe you could let me write a foreword for your book someday eh?!!! heheheh...sorry I'm being really weird!!
Have a great day!
...
Whoa. You and your breakfasts! Incredible. Everything looks deeelicious! Does it take you a lot of time to make it all? I hardly ever get up in time to make something other than toast for breakfast.
About the waffles coming apart in two pieces - that always happens to me at least once when I'm making waffles! I think it's always the first one when the waffle iron isn't really warm (or I am impatient), I open the waffle iron and pull the waffle apart. Luckily they still taste great :)
oh and thanks for your comment on wednesday, sorry for not responding to your question until now: the other people at the high tea weren't vegan! so that was nice :)
I feel exactly the same way as you! I stopped having birthday parties after 5th grade, when you'd just invite the whole class (well, just the girls, of course... the boys had cooties!).
And like those award things-- I could NEVER give them out to just ten bloggers, because I know how hurt I've felt when someone hasn't picked me!
It's nice to know I'm not the only one who feels this way :o).
mmmm! those turnovers look delish! ill have to try them!
I was wondering how a cinnamon bun-flavored soy-yogurt would taste... that definitely IS an exotic flavor!
Okay, can I come over for breakfast, Ruby Red?? Between the waffles, parfait, and turnovers, I just cannot WAIT for breakfast!! :0D
My god, the breakfasts you eat! Putting my cold cereal and grits to shame. I have got to try these.
Hi Ruby,
I just found your blog today. It is lovely! You really have some great breakfast ideas! I'll keep stopping by!
Lauren
You are definitely one of the ones I was talking about in m post. You're one of my favorite bloggers, Ruby Red :o)
Wow!! I am so impressed with your culinary prowess while living in the dorms! I, too, am living in a dorm right now, so I understand the constraints! I just discovered your blog today through Chocolate Covered Vegan--I will be returning in the future, I'm sure...
Hell yea, I was so excited when I saw So Delicious at my Whole Foods as well! I reviewed it on my blog here: http://vegtalk.blogspot.com/2008/02/review-so-delicious-soy-yogurt.html
I've added you to my blogroll. Another vegan blog!
Wow everything looks so great! I have a feeling you have a sweet tooth like myself. I looooove breakfast foods!
Thanks for the comment on my blog. I love vegan bloggers too!
hiya Ruby! Thanks for dropping by! I haven't been kidnapped or anything, but just this week i've been busy moving flats, so I've had to make do without the net for awhile! I've still been trying to keep up with everyones blogs at work though! As usual all your food posts make me hungry - I don't usually have time to do anything exciting for breakfast in the week, but that African meal looks irresistible :)
Send some of that soy "Cinnamon Bun" yogurt up my way, it sounds So good. I'd be excited too if say that at the store.
Veggie,
You better like really sugary things if you're going to try the Cinnamon Bun. :)
If it'd stay good, I'd consider mailing one to ya.
That's funny. Hopefully I'll get to the US again sometime and try it then.
Along with all the other cool stuff you guys have there like Silk Pumpkin Spice soymilk.
Veggie,
That's too funny that you mention the Pumpkin Spice soymilk - it's very sugary too. Don't be too jealous - it doesn't taste that great anyway. :/ Vitasoy Chocolate Peppermint is a much better holiday soymilk!
Oh I LUV that yogurt! And what a cool way to eat it. I used to work at a Cold Stone, ugh!
LOL your story about your mom buying you chicken reminds me of something that happened to my cousin, who was a vegetarian for a few years, but sadly gave it up thanks to a meat-eating boyfriend. Anyway, my other grandma decided to be nice and make her a vegetarian lasagna. So, after she served it, she was bragging about how it was all vegetarian... with just a little beef to flavor the sauce.
(Oh, and the Tuesday party was a charity event hehe.)
You are totally the breakfast queen! Seriously awesome.
Wow. The turnovers are a thing of beauty. My eyes just cartooned out of my head!
I saw the news about the 7-11 slurpee too. LOL I actually wondered if it was vegan, because it sounded kinda interesting. Good job on going decaf! I go through phases—right now I’m really into ginger tea.
Haha yeah, I DID sing quite loudly at karaoke. No on wanted to sing first, but by the end, no one felt nervous anymore!
Awesome look parfait!! I've been on the lookout for the new Soy Delicious yogurt, but I haven't found it yet..... but I'll definitely keep looking just so I can try that parfait!
Hi Ruby Red Vegan,
Well that's good to know, and at least we DO have the Vitasoy choc mint here.
i would just like to say i still cannot find that soy yogurt and I'm still incredibly jealous.
!
I was so excited when I saw the Cinnamon Bun flavor in Whole Foods. I wanted to gag when I tried it though! It tasted like pure chemicals for some reason. It's hard to describe. haha those waffles on the other hand look scrumptious!! I need to get that Veganomicon cookbook.
Post a Comment