
1. Blueberry Corn Pancakes, from Veganomicon
These are the best pancakes I've ever made. They came out to the perfect shape and thickness, tasting of a hint of lemon, and they had a wonderful texture even though I used 2/3 whole wheat pastry flour instead of only all-purpose flour.

2. Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Pancakes, from Vegan With a Vengeance
I will never, ever miss that mysteriously famous international house. These taste just like the Chocolate Pancakes at IHOP - minus the cholesterol and oversized portions.

3. Raspberry Corn Pancakes, based on Blueberry Corn Pancake recipe from Veganomicon
My version tasted great but the pancakes are better with round, perfect blueberries (raspberries tend to be squishier and the texture of the pancake is less satisfying because of this). I bet this raspberry variation could be improved by substituting lime zest for lemon zest.

4. Banana-Peanut Pancakes, based on Banana-Pecan Pancake recipe from Vegan With a Vengeance
These are super-thick and filling, with a very noticeable banana taste.

5. Blueberry Carob Pancakes, from Eat, Drink, & Be Vegan
I'm not sure if I or the recipe was the problem, but these came out overly runny. There may have been too much liquid listed in the recipe, OR maybe the "sweat" off the blueberries after I thawed them in the microwave caused the trouble (I used delicious but frozen blueberries). Runniness aside, the amount of carob in the pancake was perfect. There was just enough sweetness without the carob powder overpowering the taste with bitterness - even though I use unsweetened soymilk in my pancakes. I will be trying this recipe again to see what went wrong - and maybe I'll add carob chips!
I have been privileged to try so many yummy vegan pancake recipes! Do you have any favorites? I want to try the Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Pancakes again with carob powder and carob chips, and the Banana-Peanut Pancakes with pistachios or chocolate chips instead of peanuts.
I took my ice cream maker for a trial run last night, and here's what I made:

It's Mint Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream! I got the recipe from Vegan Ice Cream Paradise. I made half a batch, which produced four half-cup servings for each member of my family; I used unsweetened soymilk to decrease the sweetness; and I added two chopped vegan Oreos to the batter. Yum! Not one of my family members has ever had vegan ice cream before, and they all LOVED it! The mint taste was perfect! I should have frozen it longer, but oh well. I'm not sure whether everyone inhaled their ice cream so quickly because it tasted good or because it began melting after a few minutes, but everyone was shoveling it into their mouths, haha! I also cooked dinner last night:

This is Fettuccine with Artichoke-Marinara Sauce from Vegan Italiano. It was very good; my super-picky sister said it "smelled funny," of course because she eats zero vegetables, but she ended up saying she really liked it. She was poking at the artichokes in the sauce, and asked what they were. I just danced around her question and said I had used a really chunky marinara sauce as a base for the pasta. (She wouldn't have eaten it if she had known they were artichokes!) Artichokes and tomatoes are a great pair. This dish would also be fabulous with some sliced green olives, which would further complement the artichoke-tomato combination.
I made Katie's Oatmeal Pudding for breakfast yesterday from Chocolate-Covered Vegan.


It's so easy to make and it's really filling and delicious. Oatmeal is such a great start to the day! Mine had dried cranberries in it (the recipe called for raisins, which I didn't have). Thanks, Katie!
I am definitely planning more pancakes and more ice cream (pumpkin or coffee, maybe?), and in my next post I'll share a recent meal I had from a vegetarian restaurant (I don't think any of you have been there yet!). I also got My Sweet Vegan in the mail yesterday, and I was screaming with glee all the way home from the mailbox when I got the package. Yay! Let the yumminess continue!
17 comments:
I'm so lazy in the mornings that I don't usually get around to cooking up some fabulous breakfast... want to come over and make me some pancakes? :o)
Those chocolate-chip ones sound especially good; we just got a coupon in the mail for IHOP, but your pancakes are, I'm sure, WAY better (not to mention, better for your health and cruelty-free!).
Your dinner looks great too... your sister should realize how lucky she is! I wish my sister would cook me vegan meals!
I'm so happy you liked the oatmeal pudding!!!
Oh my goodness, and mint chocolate chip used to be my favorite flavor of non-vegan ice cream, so I nearly swooned when I saw your picture. But I'm pretty good in the ice cream dept. right now, as Wheeler's just sent me FIVE containers of their ice cream, and I'm going to do a taste-test for them-- I'm so excited!
(Sorry about the really really long comment hehe.)
such gorgeous-looking pancakes!! it certainly doesn't LOOK like any of them were runny - no worries!! the blueberry-carob and the banana-peanut are definitely my favorites out of those; and yeah, IHOP has NOTHING over vegan pancakes!! :0)
the pasta and the ice cream? heavenly as well - looks delicious!
I saw your sweet comment on my blog :0) about the dehydrator: I don't have one YET (it's in the mail!), so all the raw desserts I have been making so far only require a food-processor to make. I highly recommend the "Living in the Raw Desserts" book, as well as "Ani's Raw Food Kitchen" (EXCELLENT resource for both savory and sweet raw recipes, and the recipes are super simple as well).
believe me, I was incredibly intimidated by the idea of "unbaking"/"uncooking" (especially since I've only been cooking/baking/making ANYTHING since June 2007); so if I can do it, then you can DEFINITELY do it!!
I love pancakes, but am shitty at making them. I guess I will just keep trying. :)
Mmm.... you've got me wanting pancakes. I just had a huge curry dinner, but now I'm dying for pancakes. Blueberry. Mmm. Damn you, girl! ;)
u must really like pancakes! :) i really like the Banana Pecan ones from VwaV. But in all honesty... I just love some plain ol blueberry pancakes.
And that fetticcine with Artichokes & Tomato Sauce looks marvelous.
What? I think I just died and went to PANCAKE HEAVEN! I can't decide what one looks best to me. Right now I am leaning toward the comforting chocolate chip, although the banana ones...sigh.
Nope, no team... I'm just going to be a personal taste-tester for Wheeler's. But I *might* share with my family, if they're good ;o)
I too love pancakes. Right now I am in waffle mood. :o) Told DH I needed a waffle iron that makes more than 1 little waffle. Until I get on pancakes sound good. I don't have any favorite, but you blueberry corn are more my taste. Great post!
Those pancakes look great! I haven't made any pancakes since going vegan, and maybe I'll have to try. And I'm so jealous that you can make vegan ice cream now!
By the way, I changed my blogspot address to denisesveganadventures.blogspot.com
Thanks!
Can't forget about beans! They are cheaper and lower fat than soy.. they rule!
Okay, that is making me seriously crave pancakes. I think my favorite is the oatmeal raisin ones from vwav ( the recipe might actually be for waffles, but i use it anyway), but I sub bluberries for the raisins. Yum, I love oatmeal in my pancakes.
And your ice cream sounds soooo delicious!! I was just talking to my hubby tonight about getting an ice cream maker before summer rolls around again. Pumpkin sounds like a good flavor to try...
OMG! Those pancakes look amazing. I follow a mostly Raw vegan lifestyle, but I tell ya, when I'm not Raw, I LOVE VEGAN PANCAKES!!! I'm drooling :) YUM!
Cheers!
Kristen's Raw
All your pancakes came out so perfect! It's always a crapshoot with mine. Some come out looking photo-book-perfect and others come out looking like something I picked out of the garbage disposal. You must teach me your tricks!
Dinner looks fabulous. I only made the pizzas out of that book and though they were great, I have to start expanding my horizons! I love pasta- of all types. It's my favourite dish. Sorry that your sister hates veggies. :*( How old is she?
I actually just started eating oatmeal every morning. I needed more fiber in my diet and, like you said, it's a great way to start the day. I sprinkle some flax seeds in there while I'm at it.
You should open a pancake house here in Amsterdam.
all your pancakes look so perfect! you can make me breakfast anytime :D
you're also seriously making me consider picking up Vegan Italiano, the pasta and calzone dishes sound really good!
Oh those pancakes look wonderful. I really have to stop drooling over delicious vegan food while I'm hungry at work.
There is a local bakery here that makes blueberry corn muffins, and they are seriously some of the best muffins in the world. The problem is, they aren't vegan, the bakery uses buttermilk. But perhaps I will have to try the blueberry corn pancake recipe. I bet it would be topped with a nice simmered blueberry topping. Did you use syrup, eat them plain, or put some other topping on them?
There is a recipe in Veganomicon for Chocolate Chip Brownie Waffles that I was wanting to make for Brett for his birthday brunch (he'll be 29 in about 3 weeks - he'd probably be pissed knowing I'm spreading that info over the web hehe). The problem is I don't have a waffle iron. And I also don't want/eat waffles enough to justify getting one.
I saw that you adapted one of the waffle recipes and made pancakes out of it. Did you have to do anything different with the recipe or did you just follow the recipe and make them on a skillet?
As always your stuff looks delish!
When you substitute WW pastry flour, do you take out all of the all-purpose flour? And how much WW pastry flour do you use compared to how much all-purpose flour the recipe calls for? I've given up on improvising...if I'm not following an exact recipe, all hope is lost.
Those blueberry corn pancakes look so wonderful. I am having a breakfast reunion with friend from my old university dorm, and I am looking for a breakfast food with the frozen blueberries from my backyard. I prefer to make a coffee cake. It seems like you know a lot about vegan cooking--to overstate the obvious. Do you have any recommendations for me?
Also, how is the mocha chip Chunks of Energy campaign going? Is Whole Foods on board yet?
Post a Comment