Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Lara, Where Are You?

Because my sister and I were still away at college on Mother's Day, my mom and I decided we would postpone the holiday until we could all be together at home. So my mom received her own private Mommy's Day this past Saturday. Since we hardly ever have a sit-down meal together at home, I decided to cook breakfast as my gift to my mom (and I gave her a little card too!). What did I make, you ask?



I ended up waking up early to prepare
Banana Coffee Cake from the FatFree Vegan blog. I also served raspberries, and I made soy lattes for me and my dad. My mom and my sister had juice. But this coffee cake is very good! It was a little mushy, but maybe that's the way the cake is or maybe my cake would have benefitted from a little more time in the oven.



I couldn't get my picky
sister to eat much of her slice - she really didn't give it a chance because she "hates" fruit when it's warm. But I didn't care - I just gobbled up her piece for her!!

We drove into Austin, Texas that day, and the stop I requested was
Dhaba Joy. Dhaba is an almost-all-vegan coffee shop that also serves pastries and sandwiches. They also serve Oatscreme, a vegan soft-serve ice cream. I had a feeling the espresso wouldn't be up to my standards, so I skipped that and went straight for the pastries. I couldn't decide what to get at first -- they had raspberry chocolate chip bars, almond butter cookies, mint chocolate cupcakes, lemon bars, living blueberry cheesecake, wee cupcakes, and so, so, so, so much more. The pastry case was absolutely packed with goodies, and they were all vegan. The cashier gave me a sample of almond butter soft-serve, and I liked it a lot but also wanted cookies. So she suggested an ice cream sandwich.



For $3.35, I got almond butter soft-serve sandwiched between two big, fluffy snickerdoodles. I was in heaven! The snickerdoodles were amazing. I've already done some experimentation with one snickerdoodle recipe since eating at Dhaba Joy, but I didn't like it so I'm going to keep looking to find a close match - their cookies were that good! My dad had a Spelt Oatmeal Raisin cookie and it was divine - soft and well spiced! (His soy mocha wasn't too good though - I'm glad I skipped the espresso drinks.)

My parents also let me get a vegan Tempeh Reuben Sandwich - my first Reuben ever! It had tempeh, 1000 island dressing, vegan cheese, and sauerkraut, and was served on rye bread. It even came with a side salad. Unfortunately, the sandwich did not photograph well - it was totally white, every last ingredient of it - but the taste more than made up for it. I wouldn't call it amazing, but all the flavors were so interesting together that I just wanted to keep eating and eating it! Now I'll have to try the Tempeh Reuben recipe from Vegan with a Vengeance.

But Dhaba isn't the only vegan-friendly establishment I've visited this week - yesterday I had to revisit Green Vegetarian Cuisine, a restaurant in my Texas hometown, where almost everything on the menu is vegan. But I was not thinking straight when I ordered my meal:



What the heck?! I ordered the Raw Deal Wrap, a new addition to the menu since I lasted visited, that is prepared with a raw cashew/brazil nut hummus. Green lets you pick two sides with this entree, but I am sooo silly and ordered the fresh kale salad and a side salad with orange vinaigrette dressing for my two sides. When they arrived, I was like, "Oh my goodness, how am I going to eat all these vegetables?!" My three plates took up half the table! (I should have ordered some brown rice as a side, but then I wouldn't have had an all-raw meal!!!) To show you an example of my appetite, I ate everything on all three plates, except half the dressing -- it was only okay but got more tasty the more I ate. The kale salad was my favorite - the kale was raw and I could taste the Bragg's in the marinade, but I'm not sure if anything else was on it. The nutty hummus didn't taste too different from chickpea hummus.



I also went back for some chocolate soft-serve. It wasn't as good as Oatscreme, but it's still yummy and they didn't have any desserts baked for that day.

Now for Ms. Lara. I have been plotting to make my own Larbars for the last two weeks and have gotten rather addicted to these guys recently - the Cashew Cookie, Pecan Pie, and the Chocolate Coffee Jocalat are all more amazing than words can describe. I only wish nuts weren't quite so filling and the bars could be 2x larger so I could enjoy them longer... Anyway, I followed
bunnyfoot's recipe for homemade Larbars, and here's what I ended up with:




Yep, all I got out of my experiment was a big fat mess! I guess I need some new dates? Mine definitely aren't moist enough to handle this recipe. Sooo sad. I know some of you may be disappointed with my failed homemade Larabar, but I'm even more disappointed! Hopefully my wallet can keep up with my storebought Larabar addiction. For the rest of you looking for an awesome raw treat, I have tried
these incredible raw brownies. They taste kind of like a Larabar, but I couldn't get them to stick together in the past either. But the powdery dust that came out of my blender was still darn tasty.

And finally, my delicious lunch from today:



This yummy meal hails from Jen the Veg Triathlete. I am obsessed with her website -- all her photos are beautiful, and she's got a healthy balance of meal and dessert recipes. The meals are perfect for me because they're healthy and are great fuel for those with an active lifestyle.
The meal I made is called the Greenie Tahini Bowl.



It's so good! I posted about it
before and I had to make it again! I sense a tahini obsession coming on, and now I'm thinking...tahini banana oatmeal? I just might try it for breakfast tomorrow!
 

32 comments:

Lindsay (Happy Herbivore) said...

DAAAAAAMN. I want some!

Anonymous said...

That ice cream sandwhich just rocked my world! I want it now. Also the coffee cake... ok all of it!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

The ice cream sandwich!! The Coffee Cake!! I'm drooling right now, haha. Ahh, no worries about the homemade Larabars - there's always next time :0)

aTxVegn said...

I didn't realize you are a Texas girl! Isn't Dhaba Joy the best?!! I had the pastry chef there tell me exactly how she made her vegan poptarts and that is my next baking challenge. Keep trying on the lara bars! Check out this link for some help from a fellow Austinite:
http://www.cookiemadness.net/?p=16

Danielle said...

if i ate what you've eaten in the past few days i would've felt like i died and went to heaven. everything looks amazing!

Anonymous said...

Your mom is one lucky lady! What a beautiful cake. =)

Anonymous said...

The cake is beautiful!!!! And I WANT THAT ICE CREAM!!! Almond butter?!?!!? Drool :)

Kimberly said...

That ice cream sandwich looks A-MA-ZING.

ChickPea said...

Oh my! Where to begin! First of all, kudos on your marvelous Mother's Day creation...tell your sister that I'll take all the vegan treats she doesn't want:)
That ice cream sandwich looks amazing...I'll have to do some research on that Oatscreme to see if I can get my hands on some!
I often have meals like that, where I don't realize how much food I've ordered until it's practically spilling off the tabletop! Yours was all healthy though. I want to try that nutty hummus.
I've tried making Larabars before, and I haven't come close to the real thing...yet.
Yay for tahini! Great idea on the banana tahini oatmeal...mind if I copy you?

Anonymous said...

I wish the grown-up side of me would oooh and aaah on the salads first and foremost, but nope: I'm all for the Oatscreme and coffee cake, baby!

Anonymous said...

Wow everything looks great - esp that ice cream sandwich!

Oh and Austin is one of my favorite cities! Great food!

Lizzy said...

Okay... where to start!? This post boasts with vegan awesomeness (not really a word eh?). Anywho, the banana cake looks to die for and I'd even prefer eating it while still hot than cold. Your sister will come around to liking healthy things... some day, some day, I'm sure =)

I really envy you that you've been to so many vegan diners. I've been meaning to visit those in Berlin ever since the beginning of the year. I have to get my ass up and pray that they'll live up to my expectations. Now that I see what you're getting served there. I'm still totally drooling over every dish. And the snickerdoodle sandwich =O I'm seriously dying over here...

Too bad the Larabar recipe didn't work out well. I wish they carried them in Germany... maybe it's for the best that they don't or else I'd probably eat them more than once daily =p

Anonymous said...

When I read your last post I was thinking about how pissed I'd be if my sister was that picky. And now this?! Who refuses cake, really? It looked amazing to me and I hope to try it soon.

I'm dreaming of the day we get vegan softserve here in Sweden, it'd be amazing! In the meantime I think making some icecream and cookie sandwiches at home with just normal soy icecream will be just fine. Yum.

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Nope, never heard of HuHot. If it’s anything like Genghis Grill, though, I’m sure it’s great.

In regards to your comment: “…in a few years you'll be older than your mom! Try explaining that one to the nun...” I can’t stop laughing! But in all seriousness, I guess I am going to have to tell my mom she needs to start ageing again; I don’t want to be older than her!

I agree about sisters not tasting good. Give me chocolate cake over little sister any day :o).

Please send your sister's piece of cake MY way!

And I am so super-jealous you got to go to Dhaba Joy. I went once, and that place is AMAZING!!! I wish it were in Dallas, not Austin.

LK Sisters said...

Yummy looking food!

In regard to Larabars, we tried to make fruit bars - one with figs, and one with apricots - and you could make into bars or balls. Try these recipes here: http://lksistersveg.blogspot.com/
2008/05/no-bake-fruit-treats.html
You could definitely change it up to what flavors you would want - for ex, instead of cocoa apricot bars, you could make cashew apricot bars. Just a suggestion! Good luck!

LK Sisters said...

Our favorite of the fruit treats we made were both the plain apricot and the cocoa apricot balls. Sometimes we felt in the mood for one, sometimes we felt in the mood for the other! The fig pecan was good, just maybe next time we may add some dried cranberries or lemon zest or orange zest to make it extra special. And the cocoa balls could always have more cocoa to make it extra chocolaty as well :)

LK Sisters said...

About being a vegan nutrition student from Texas - YEAH! We agree - it's very discouraging living in a "cowboy" area where beef and dairy are praised for. The agriculture department of TAMU are mostly cowboys who want to go into farming or meat processing, etc. We had to take a food bacteriology class, which was fine, except for in the lab we at one point had to use red beef which was beyond gross.

Rose said...

You went to Dhaba Joy?! I wish my parents could take me there but unfortunately, they complain that it's too pricey and much too far away for us to ever go. It makes me so sad especially since I live only 30 minutes away. Glad you enjoyed it though :)

Animal-Friendly said...

That ice cream sandwich looks and sounds UNBELIEVABLE! Oh my..... I'm rather tempted to eat that picture right off the computer monitor.

Aw....those poor homemade Larabars..... oh well, at least the little scraps of dust were yummy

Jen said...

All your vegan restaurant adventures look sooooooo yummy! I'm envious. And I'm impressed you put away that much salad in one sitting -- I do it sometimes, but after a while all that chewing feels like hard work!

Thanks for the nice words about my blog! It makes me so happy to someone enjoying the food ideas :)

Good luck with the Larabars. Cooking with whole foods can be tricky sometimes since the water content and size of ingredients will often vary. I wonder if it would help to blend the dates first, and then add water to make the paste more moist before combining it with the other ingredients? (Or maybe you already did that... I'm just wondering out loud here.) Anyway, you'll conquer the Larabar soon, I'm sure!

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

tahini banana oatmeal, do it do it! And also send me a cookie sandwich in the mail? :D

fruity said...

Hello! I came across your blog and it is lots of fun! I recently just created my own blog and I'm hoping to get my foot in the door and meet fellow vegans via internet! That's awesome that you got to try vegan soft-serve icecream! Hopefully someday I'll get a chance too...!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Aww! Let’s have a sleepover with the baby ducks, with lotsa trail mix!

And be sure to bring some of that coffee cake (although I don't think we should share it with the ducks).

Erin said...

I'm sorry to say that upon first glance the first picture looked like a breaded chicken breast cut in half. Barf! After I figured out what it actually was though, I was delighted. I was planning to make banana muffins for an away-from-home breakfast this Saturday, but now I have to look into making the banana coffee cake instead!

And I'm so jealous of anyone who gets to go to Dhaba Joy. I've heard only good things.

Sara said...

I wonder if you were to incorporate some raisins (which are in some flavors of Larabars) if the mix might be a little more moist. You can soak the raisins in water before you add them in, which would add a lot more moisture. Maybe also a tablespoon or two of brown rice syrup?

Anonymous said...

Wow, that ice cream sandwich is the stuff of dreams...!

Anonymous said...

Oooh, book me on a flight to Austin! That ice cream sandwich looks deelish. And I'm so happy to hear that vegan soft serve exists!

Anonymous said...

I love all of the greens in your meals! And a snickerdoodle cookie sandwich? I have some snicks I made in my freezer, and I was planning on making ice cream, so thanks for the inspiration! The banana coffee cake looks so pretty, I'd eat my sister's piece too!

I have a snickerdoodle recipe on my page if you are still experimenting. It isn't the healthiest cookie, but they turn out yummy every time.

Unknown said...

I scream for an ice cream sandwich! Your photos are always so amazing.

Cherry said...

I've been meaning to make that Banana cake, your's looks fabulous. Dhaba Joy is awesome, I go there all the time. I didn't know that they had Almond Butter soft serve-must be something new. Green's new menu items look delicious! Sorry about the larabar failure.

Sara said...

Hey,
I go to Washington University...we're only five minutes away from each other!...that is so exciting. I'm going to be sophomore...how about you? Do you live on campus?

Vegan_Noodle said...

So glad you got to try out dhaba joy!! I need to make a special trip up to Austin just to go there.

I've heard of Green in S.A. and would love to try it someday!!