Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Fabulous Five + Scroll Down for Food

I've been tagged by A-K from Swell Vegan, Linds from Chocolate, Coffee, Kitchen, and Liz, aka Kamutflake Girl to post five facts about myself. I admit I've been putting this off for a while. While I love to talk about my food adventures, I don't really like to talk about myself. But I feel honored that people thought of me, so of course I am going to participate in this survey! So here you go, five facts about Ruby Red:

1. When I was really little, I liked to parade around in clothes from the dress-up box at my day care. My favorite outfit from the costume box was this scratchy taffeta tutu and matching ballet slippers. One particular day at day care, we were watching a movie with the "big kids," and two older boys started making fun of me. I got really mad and literally chased them out the front door of the day care! So, yeah, I've "ran away" from day care before. (They got away, though, and I came back and got in trouble.)

2. I hate commitment. When I feel like someone is getting to know me too well, I tend to get really anxious, shut down, and shut them out. I am trying to get better about this, but I think it's my sort of automatic defense mechanism. So if boys are interested, they really have to be persistent with me -- I don't chase after anyone.

3. My one-year vegan anniversary is in August! I've been a vegetarian about 17 months now -- since January 2007.

4. I did a couple spelling bees in elementary school. Though I feel like my brain cells are diminshing as I age and I'm just getting stupider, I've always been a good speller. I got 4th place in my school-wide spelling bee when I was in 4th grade and 7th place when I was in 5th grade. I was also really mad about not doing better because I can get really with academic games, like playing Jeopardy in a classroom setting.

5. My birthmark is on my buttcheek, haha! The mark is really, really big too. I used to be so embarrassed by it and would always wear shorts when going swimming. I also have another birthmark on my side -- two dots that look like a colon [:] -- only several people have asked me if the two dots are shark bites. (Well, if they were, I probably wouldn't be alive today, would I?)


Another thing that inspired me to post today is the Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Spelt Cookie recipe Celine posted on her blog.



I posted about a similar-tasting cookie here, the peanut butter cookie from the Chicago Diner. It's one of the most astoundingly tasty cookies/desserts I've ever had, and Celine's cookies taste just like them. Only Celine's version has chocolate chips, which translates to an even better cookie. She posted a mini-recipe that produces two large cookies, so one was for me and one was for my sister. They were humungous, but I made sure to make my cookie bigger than hers. I deserve it, since I did all the work of baking them up! Please, everyone, do yourselves a favor and make these cookies asap.

To celebrate Memorial Day, I dusted off my Cuisinart ice cream maker and made my first batch of ice cream for the summer. I know it's not green, but it's still Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream.



I got the recipe from Vegan Ice Cream Paradise. I really like her recipes, but I want to give Isa and Terry a fair chance and try a Veganomicon ice cream recipe, too. I think I want to make chocolate espresso (aka mocha) ice cream next!


I promise I don't eat all sweets! I am not yet employed for the summer, so I have all day to cook up fancy things for myself. Here are some of the meals I've made in the past few days:









Finally, I'm working on a new, original breakfast recipe. I'm going to test it for the next few mornings until I post it, but I'll give you a hint. It has a "ruby red" element. I know, I know, how appropriate for the Ruby Red Vegan blog!

 

 

 

Okay, fine, I'll show you a picture of it! Geez!



 

39 comments:

tofufreak said...

no way no way!! i did spelling bees too! this year was my last year though (8th grade age limits) o well. they're always lots of fun!this year i won 1st at regionals hehe.

anyways, that cookie looks amazing! especially because i just got an everyday foods newsletter with a non-vegan peanut butter cookie recipe. Yay for coincidences!

i must say that your ice cream looks muy delicioso! (as does the rest of your food) ^_^

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Great facts! I too participated in a lot of spelling bees back in elementary school - fun!

Those cookies! That ice cream! Yum! :0)

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, I LOVED the dress up box!! Those were so much fun.

Ok, that chocolate chip ice cream looks way too good!! It's calling out my name.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing those 5 things, it's always fun to get to know the blogger behind the food a bit more. :)

And by the way, mint chocolate chip is one of my favorites, yum!

aTxVegn said...

Your 5 facts were fun! I too loved spelling bees.

Anything on Celine's recipe index that you want to make, you should. It will always be the best! I can't wait till my cookies come in the mail!

So you've made a special pancake thingy for breakfast????

Sara said...

I posted this earlier but I don't know if you got it..
we should definitely meet up next semester...that would be so much fun. I have been to kaldis many times...I love it there. They are definitely the most vegetarian friendly coffee house around. But have you ever been to Northwest Coffee house? They make an awesome soy latte too. I am also moving into an apartment. Its within walking distance of Washu's campus. Best of all, it has a kitchen. I can't wait! When does SLU start back next semester? By the way, have you ever been to the smoothie place/cafe over by schnucks off clayton. It is the only place I know of that has lots of vegan options. About half of the menu is vegan. Wraps, soups, smoothies and more. Delicious!

Hungry Hungry Dancer said...

I love these facts!!!!

COmmitment can be scary... but its almost a good thing that your cautious.. you wont get your heart broken!

Im excited for your ruby red breakfast!

ChickPea said...

I am another ex-spelling bee participant...I won the schoolwide bee in 6th grade, but I pooped out after that.
All your meals look so tasty! Mind if I ask what they all are?
Mint chocolate chip ice cream doesn't have to be green to be tasty. It's one of my favorite flavors! What do you use in making your own vegan ice cream? Silk creamer?
Congrats on your almost anniversary!

Anonymous said...

Hahahahaa! I too, have a birthmark on my butt. I also have one on my arm, and when I was in fourth grade people told me it was dog poop. People are mean!

August must be the month for vegan anniversaries. My two year is in August! Yay. I always heard that August vegans were the coolest...

Your ice cream should be in my freezer. And, look at that yummy helping of homemade seitan! I am curious about this breakfast treat. Don't make us wait too long...!

Anonymous said...

could you possibly be any more awesome? I think not! love that meme.

Anonymous said...

I loved your facts - I ran away from kindergarden, twice!
And as always, all your food just looks great! Can't wait to see those breakfast entries :)

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

your facts about you sound so close to my facts (number 2, number 2 number 2, omg XP), I'm glad you felt up to talking about yourself a bit!

And holy cremini, the food! *>*

LK Sisters said...

That ice cream looks so good - I wish I had an ice cream maker, especially on a hot Texas day like we've been having.

As for the hummus bread, the hummus is just mixed in throughout. It would be neat to try different hummus flavors!

Sara said...

Ruby Red-
Next year is going to be fun...I can't wait to explore some St. Louis restaurants together. Last semester my dorm had a kitchen, but it was on the ground floor, had none of the bowls, spoons,pots, pans, etc required for cooking, and was less than clean. Needless to say, I didn't cook much. Mostly I relied on pb&j, whole foods runs, and the ocasional vegan soup served in the cafeteria. Not fun. Anyway, I'm really excited to do some cooking this year, maybe we could get together for a cooking of baking night as well. Washu starts back on the 27th, but I'm moving into my apartment in early July because I'm picking up a few extra credit hours in summer school. I'll be out of town August 21-24th, but maybe after the first week of class we could meet up for some vegan food and destressing. My email is smflower@wustl.edu so we can stay in touch...
The mint chip icecream looks really delicious by the way, icecream is one thing I'm missing as summer heats up.

Lindsay (Happy Herbivore) said...

i suck at spelling :P

Celine's cookies look awesome!

Erin said...

Very nice eats and treats. I was (still am) a spelling champ too! If memory serves me I was 2nd place in the 2nd grade spelling bee, but my mind could be exaggerating. I at least know I was in the top few contenders.

Vegan_Noodle said...

Hmmm, I'm curious about the breakfas... my guess is that is has grapefruit?

I have always thought I was a good speller as well. And I know what you mean that as I get older I just feel more and more stupid... I guess ignorance is bliss!

Animal-Friendly said...

I am so jealous of your spelling skills! I don't think I would be able to do anything without spell check

What on earth could that mystery breakfast be? Hm.....I cannot wait to find out!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Awww you sound like the cutest little kid EVER (and also maybe the most mischievous). Can you bring your tutu along on our secret mission? It sounds like a good spy uniform.

Ugh, I’m the same way about commitment. It’s like, if I make a good first impression on someone, I don’t want to see them again, because at least that way they’ll think well of me :o/

Girl, your meals always look so delightful. Please come cook for me, please???
And I’m so intrigued by your creation! Waiting in anticipation…

Anonymous said...

your homemade mint chocolate chip ice cream looks so pretty :) yum!

Jess said...

I must make those cookies immediately. And I am also a FREAK about spelling/grammar. Sometimes when I read an email at work & words are misspelled/the wrong "your," "to," etc. is used, I correct the changes & save the new version just so I can sleep at night... WEIRDO. But come on!

I'm not so sure I like that I just admitted that in writing... Oh, well.

All of the food looks so amazing that I don't even know where to begin... So I'll just sum up my thoughts with one simple YUM.

Sara said...

just getting ready to settle in on the couch, watch 27 dresses, and enjoy a chocolate chip pb vegan cookie...excellent night. hope yours is good as well...tell us what that breakfast is soon!

Bianca said...

Oh, I want an ice cream maker! That soy cream looks so refreshing!

BTW, I've never been to your blog before and I'm not sure why. Great, drool-worthy food pics!

fruity said...

mmm, I just started baking with splet flour and I love it!! And don't worry, I bake way too many sweets myself...if I'm bored I bake, if I'm happy I bake, if I'm sad I bake and so on...haha!!

Unfortunately, those peanutbutter crispy bars were gobbled up immediately but my boyfriend and I...desserts don't last very long in our apartment!

Little Miss Sunshine said...

Hi! This is my first time commenting on your blog! Just wanna say .... you are the Queen of breakfast!!! Your breakfast always look divine (compared to mine)... can't wait for your "Ruby Red Oatmeal" recipe - I'm sure it'll be good!

You can still have mint and chocolate chip ice cream even if you are a vegan???!! Woot!!! Sorry, I'm in the gelato mood nowadays for some odd reason.

Have a great day :)

Anonymous said...

One more comment about birthmarks: My dad used to tell me not to be embarrassed by the ones on my arms because if I were ever kidnapped (!) I would be easy to find/identify! And also, I have one shaped like a plus sign, and my dad (again)told me that if I ever misbehaved, a horn would grow out of it!!! Seriously, scared me silly. I would watch it to make sure no sign of a horn was coming...so far, so good.

Jen said...

I came in third in our middle school spelling bee--I lost when I misspelled "buccaneer." Stupid buccaneers!

Oh, and those cookies??? Yum. They look awesome!

Unknown said...

The cookies and the ice cream make my mouth water. I understand what you feel about commitment. When things get serious it can be scary.

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Eh, let's abandon the squash mission. Let's just have a dessert party instead. I'll bring cake and you can bring mint chocolate chip ice cream.

Lizzy said...

I could stare at your food pictures forever and ever and not get tired. Everything looks so delicious!

Oh, I had moccha soy ice cream a few days ago -yumm!

And your cookie looks so tempting... I haven't baked cookies in ages. But I guess that's also because I don't really like chewy cookies and all cookie recipe are for those kind of cookies. And the dough's mostly too sticky to make them flat. Oh well, I'd happily bite into this one anytime anyway ;)

Anonymous said...

Yes!! A fellow vegan spelling bee nerd! What are the odds? ;)
That cookie looks like heaven on earth, by the way!

Vaala ◪ said...

Ooo, that breakfast looks good :)

I understand that feeling of shutting down as someone gets to know me. It's been a hard path letting myself trust someone enough for them to break down that barrier. It's real hard though so be kind on yourself.

ChickPea said...

Hey! Just letting you know I changed the name and URL of my blog! Here's the new address:
http://broccolihut.blogspot.com

ChickPea said...

Hey! Just letting you know I changed the name and URL of my blog! Here's the new address:
http://broccolihut.blogspot.com

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Ok, so I was thinking... if the mint chocolate chip ice cream melts while you're transporting it to our dessert party, we can have mint chocolate chip soup!

Anonymous said...

I want your tofu. NOW.

Anonymous said...

Yaaay I'm so glad you posted your 5 facts!!! And your homemade ice cream is actually blowing my mind, it looks sooo delicious :)

jessy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah P said...

please: stay unemployed so you can keep posting about delicious food. If money becomes an issue, I will hire you as my personal chef. deal?!