Monday, February 11, 2008

No, This is Not a Tray of Dirt



It's a raw brownie! It didn't stick together like it was supposed to - it should have plopped right out of the tray. It's my fault. I should have seen the signs: It came out of the blender all crumbly, when it should have been sticky. But I tried it, and it was so fabulous! It had a great flavor. I made a 1/4 batch of this recipe. Sooo good, and quite nutritious too. Can you believe a brownie could only have four ingredients? I'll know better next time, and I'll either soak my raisins to make them plumper and juicier or add some agave nectar to make it more adhesive.




Here they are, my first dorm kitchen pancakes! I wasn't sure how well they would work using a pan from a different kitchen, but the non-stick pan never fails me in the world of pancakes. (P.S. That's the secret to awesome pancakes!!) These were so good! With the deep flavor of blackstrap molasses, these subtly sweet pancakes tasted kind of like luscious, healthy gingerbread cookies! Would you like your own serving size of these Nutty Fig Molasses Pancakes? Well, you're in luck:



Nutty Fig Molasses Pancakes
Adapted from Vegan with a Vengeance


Serves 1 (yields 3 pancakes)

4 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour
1 tablespoon quick oats
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
pinch salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 tablespoon canola oil
4 teaspoons water
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon soymilk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 tablespoon blackstrap molasses
1 dried Turkish fig
1 tablespoon walnuts, roughly chopped


Mist a big non-stick pan with cooking spray and preheat on medium-high for a couple minutes.

Combine whole wheat pastry flour (I do it in tablespoons to avoid clumping instead of with a 1/4 cup measure [then you don't have to sift the flour]), oats, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon in a cereal-size bowl. In a teacup-sized bowl or mug, combine oil, soymilk, water, vanilla, and molasses. Add the wet ingredients to the dry, mixing lightly to combine. Do not overmix. Tear the fig into smallish pieces with your fingers and throw it into the batter along with the chopped walnuts.

At this point, I turn the heat down to just below medium. Using a 1/4 cup measure, ladle out batter onto the pan. You should have just enough batter to fit all three pancakes into the pan - perfect! Cook pancakes until browned (and slightly dry) around the edges and bubbles appear on top. Just before you flip each pancake, lightly mist the pan surface underneath with cooking spray. Cook other side until bottoms are browned and surface begins to firm. Relocate to serving plate. Top with yumminess of your choice! (I heated a mixture of 1/4 cup mashed bananas and 1/2 teaspoon agave nectar in the microwave for my topping.)


Moving on... I eat at the cafe where I work for lunch four days out of the school week. This is by no means a vegan cafe, so I wanted to show you how I manage to feed myself at lunchtime. This particular day was one of those days I got really lucky!



Our menu changes daily, and I saw that we had a creamy butternut squash and sweet potato soup coming up. I asked the chef if he would save a little soup for me before he added the butter and cream. He makes vegetarian soups every day, but often (as in 99% of the time) will add butter or cream to vegetarian dishes so that they are inedible for poor little vegans. Every once in a while, though, he'll surprise me and say, "I made something vegan today!" So, he made the huge batch of soup the day before it was to be served - without adding any butter or cream - and he also tried it himself. He kept exclaiming how good it was without the cream and dairy, and about how pleased he was with how it turned out! But by the next day, the soup appeared in the cafe all creamed and dairy-ed up. I still thoroughly enjoyed the vegan portion he had saved and set aside for me: it was thick with orange vegetable goodness!



I also lucked out with some vegan meatloaf that day. I believe it was made by Match Foods. It was my first time to have "meatloaf" (and I've never had the meat version, either). I have to say I was quite frightened when I first bit into it! The texture and taste were so similar to real meat that I was afraid that I had gotten the real thing by mistake! (But it was vegan, no worries.) It was super delish dipped in some nummy to my tummy vegan tomato gravy, and I had steamed carrots and organic, crusty French bread on the side. Mmm! I worked on the hot line that day and convinced a lot of people to try the meatless "meatloaf" - and they liked it!


I also managed to do a lot of cooking this weekend. I tried a recipe for Caramelized Tofu with Pecans and Brussels Sprouts, which I served over a bed of nutty quinoa. This was sooo good! The recipe came from 101cookbooks.com.



I didn't have any brown sugar, so I did the great swap-a-roo of turbinado sugar plus blackstrap molasses. I think this made it even yummier than it would have been with brown sugar! The molasses formed a crunchy, mildly sweet layer around the tofu, and it added a great dimension to the taste of the crushed pecans, too. Wow-ee wow wow! This dinner made me very happy. You should try it. :)




I've been making a lot of new and exciting combinations for oatmeal breakfasts. Coming up soon, I shall share! I promise not too stay away from blogging for too long this time though, hehe.

21 comments:

russ said...

Thats a fine looking tray of carob-y dessert... or should i say desert? :)

Lizzy said...

I saved that brownie recipe a while ago, but I never have prunes in the house so I haven't made them yet.

Pretty pancakes! And hooray, now I don't have to calculate myself to cut the recipe into 1/4th, he he.
I also love my non-sticking pan so much. My friend gave it to me just as a joke actually because it's a tiny 6 inch pan and I am a short person so she said "Here, you need a lizzy-pan" =p

It's so nice that he saves you some before adding the butter etc.
Weird though that he loaded up on it although he thought it tasted good without it. Ah well, he probably knew that people most likely would have complained that it's not creamy and buttery enough...

Oh yay, more oatmeal variations!! I always love oatmeal posts. I craved your carob oatmeal pudding this morning and wanted to make it, but I didn't have enough time left. I really want to try this though =)

J said...

That is so sweet that the chef saves some soup aside for you before he "ruins" it!

Can't wait for your oatmeal variations!

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

omg, you are so officially a pancake goddess - and the measurements are for one person! this is next on my list of pancakes to try (after sourdough pancakes, I'm too excited to use my starter!)

I'm also way curious about oatmeal variations... oatmeal rules the school. go vegan breakfast food! ^.^

J said...

Thanks for providing a recipe cut down to serve one! That is one thing I don't like about cookbooks is that I generally only cook for two, and the recipes always seem to serve four to six.

That tofu and quinoa look so good. I'm going to check that recipe out. I love quinoa, I love using and even seeing others cooking with it. The grain just doesn't get the love it deserves!

Vegan_Noodle said...

So glad your pancakes worked out in the dorms. Sounds like a delicious recipe!
That was nice of the chef to leve some soup for you that was vegan. Have you asked him to try adding non-dairy butter and soymilk (or soy creamer) instead of butter and cream? Maybe he would like the results and leave them vegan!
That tofu and brussels dish sounds amazing. I may have to go check that out!

T said...

This post has two of my favorite foods- figs and brussels sprouts. What a great idea to put figs in pancakes, they look delicious.

Its rough being vegan in college- especially trying to make raw food. (Yer 'box of dirt' up there is aperfect example of why I rarely venture into raw territory- I always mess it up!) But it looks like you are doing a great job, and I bet you end up converting more than a few of your hallmates along the way.

Bonnie said...

thank you thank you thank you, that pancake recipe looks absolutely fantastic! I want to try it soon, I'd like to try some different pancake recipes (I always use the ones from Vive le Vegan!) and yours always look perfect.
And that vegan meal from the not-so-vegan cafe sounds delicious, it's very nice of the chef to keep some of it vegan for you! Too bad he added the dairy to it later, but it does sound like you made him change his mind about vegan soups and how delicious they can be :) maybe that'll inspire him to make soups without cream in the future! mmm, I'm craving a butternut squash soup now...

anyway, I'm glad the cooking in the new dorm is going well, the food is looking good!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

LOL you had me fooled-- I really did think it was a tray of dirt! I was like, "Hmm, I wonder what she's doing with that. Is she making some sort of indoor garden?"

The pancakes look really yummy; I can actually see the juicy fig pieces peeking out. I'm writing down this recipe for sure!

Cakespy said...

I'd eat your tray of dirt anytime ;-) with these pancakes, these glorious pancakes, on the side! Love your continuing work / obsession with the flat little cakes.

Rose said...

I'm sorry to hear your raw brownie didn't come out as you would have expected it to. I made mine with medjool dates which I bought exclusively for this recipe because they tend to be a bit pricey. Maybe it was the raisins you used, but at least the taste was ok.

The other day my mom made me a soup by merely blending together steamed veggies and broth. It turned out great even without the soy milk or silken tofu to cream it up so I'm sure the soup the chef made for you tasted great too.

Mmm...brussel sprouts! I'll definitely be bookmarking that recipe. It looks like something I'd make :)

Ashasarala said...

That's awesome- raw brownies? Who woulda thunk! I keep seeing more and more raw desserts coming up and it's very intriguing. Raw is so much better for the body, as we all know, so I'm very excited to get to trying something.

Those are gorgeous pancakes. They are so thick and perfect. You really are the pancake goddess! It's hit or miss with me. Some days I'll make them extremely fluffy, golden and beautiful, then the next day it looks like something I picked up off the gutter! Well, we are getting a griddle soon, so perhaps that will help!

That's so awesome that the chef saved you some cream-less soup. I don't know why he bothers adding it at all when he tasted it himself and loved it! Maybe you can slip him some recipes and convince him to make more vegan stuff.

The meatloaf is quite the coincidence. I just found a recipe for one online and we're gonna be eating it next weekend. =)

Kristen's Raw said...

Hey there :)

You can keep it going in the food processor next time so that the oils in the nuts have a chance to break down and get more gooey. This should help and is what I do.

Or

Soak the raisins - I don't usually though, but it's an option.

Or

Add a tablespoon (or more) of coconut oil AND/OR agave nectar. Either or both would enhance the gooey-iness of the recipe.

Or

Just add a little water as it's moving around in the food processor.

Cheers!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

raw carob brownies + fig molasses pancakes + brussels sprouts = TOO MUCH GOODNESS IN ONE POST!!! :0D

Denise said...

I made a raw cake the other day using walnuts, cocoa powder, dates and water. It must have just been the recipe, because it tasted AWEFUL. I'm starting to wonder if maybe it's just because my tastebuds are so used to the junk I was raised on, and that it would have actually tasted good to other people. That would be sad. I hope it was just a bad recipe.

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Thank you so much for saying you'll continue to click on the sites. I found out at work that the Pet Rescue website wasn't getting enough traffic and they were considering having to shut it down because they might not get enough advertisers without more traffic... so I of course do not want to see that happen!

Anyway, Happy Valentine's Day! Eat lots of vegan chocolate (I know I am hehe)

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

yeah, I did have to adjust the recipe, actually. It needed a LOT more liquid, maybe a 1/2 cup, but other than that it was the same thing (except crispier because of the white sugar - which is excellent in my book!).

Honestly... I think they'd be a lot better with a real waffle iron cause the insides were a little gummy due to low surface area (or overmixing, which I tend to do) - those waffle irons are quite good at making thin crispy crusts! But really the tiny heart-pan did a surprisingly passable job. You should definitely try the recipe too, the candied ginger in them is *amazing*! :D

Amey said...

Nutty Fig Molasses Pancakes!?
That sounds freakishly good. I shoulda been eating like that when I was in college.

also, I agree with Ashasarala, bring some of your favorite recipes to the chef. I've had pretty good luck getting restaurants to try vegan food by bringing in some of my real tried-and-true favorites.

:)

Bonnie said...

I think you're right about people posting desserts a lot - I think they're also the most fun to look at.
And yes, I feel lucky living next door to my neighbours and getting to taste the pie... the top of the pie was good, it consists of crumbles of dough, I think. Maybe I'll get the recipe once so I can try it too :)

I haven't tried your pancake recipe yet, though, but I'm printing it out right now. mm, looks so good.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I made the pancakes but I had to use a lot more flour (don't know how much I added) than the 4 T (and the one T of rolled oats) - the batter was way too runny! Did I understand the recipe correctly?

Ruby Red said...

Dearest Anonymous,

This is the exact recipe I used, and my batter came out really thick. I also scooped the flour and oats by single tablespoons, and leveled off each scoop. I didn't sift the flour. This may have packed a little more flour into each tablespoon, but it shouldn't have made a significant difference. Next time try a tablespoon less of soymilk, and if that doesn't work, I don't know what to tell you! I'm not a food science expert. :( But it works for me... Sorry you had problems.