Monday, January 14, 2008

An Itsy, Bitsy, Teenie Tahini

Once upon a time, I was set free to explore the city of Chicago all by myself. Where did I go? The Chicago Diner, of course.

The visit I speak of was my first time to set food in the legendary diner. What did I order? The Scrambled Tofu Deluxe, of course.



Ever since I went to the Chicago Diner, I've wanted to go back to Chicago. But that hasn't happened. So I decided to take matters into my own hands by purchasing The Chicago Diner Cookbook. I recreated my Scrambled Tofu meal using the recipe from the cookbook, which claims to be the "basic" recipe used by the diner.



The taste of the scramble didn't necessarily blow me away, and this is hard to explain, but it was immensely satisfying. I'm not sure if the idea of eating at the Chicago Diner again made me really nostalgic, or if tahini is just pure magic, but the scramble was quite perfect in every way. The combination tahini and seeds in the recipe that lended a "buttery" flavor to the tofu, a desirable flavor for healthy, cruelty-free food. The scrambled tofu from the Chicago Diner Cookbook has become a comfort food for me: One I love to eat because it reminds me of old times, not because it is the best thing I have ever tasted. And because of the memories, eating it makes me feel nourished and whole and satisfied. And another word, because I know posting about tofu scrambles on a vegan blog can be really cliché: this is not your average scrambled tofu. Among its ingredients are tamari, tahini, sunflower seeds, and sesame seeds.

Eager to use my new jar of tahini again, I found a recipe from the Veg Triathlete blog for a Greenie Tahini Bowl. I had to try it!





So good! I'll definitely be making this again!

And to conclude my tahini post, following is a final meal that contains my newly discovered, beloved tahini:



Okay, so I cheated, and the only tahini in this meal is just spread on dry, toasted Ezekiel bread (simple, but actual very tasty). The real point of the picture was just to show you my homemade Sweet Potato Fries. If any of you are in the mood for these babies, just crack open your copy of Vegan With a Vengeance. My last post showed sweet potato fries from a vegetarian restaurant. I wanted to make some at home, but found that both times I did so, they turned out soft! I turned up the oven temperature, tried baking them longer, and even put them under the broiler but they just won't crisp up! Maybe I should just chalk this all up to the fact that deep-frying produces the best, crispiest fries. But I don't want to accept that. :(

And for good measure, hear are some more pancakes!



Based on the Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Pancake recipe from Vegan With a Vengeance, these Carob-Carob Chip Pancakes were so decadent and rich and fabulous, they didn't need any extra maple syrup poured on top. I ate them plain! :) Just a touch of the optional almond extract suggested in the recipe adds a world of flavor difference!

Okay, guys, I have a whole jar of tahini awesomeness in my fridge! What else should I make to satisfy my tahini-craving tastebuds?

P.S. You're not allowed to say hummus!

20 comments:

Unknown said...

Tahini is one of my favourite foods too. I like the look of the sweet potato fries. What a great way to bring some colour to a plate!

russ said...

I tried making halva once upon a time. I can't remember how successful it was (no recipe to go on at the time)

But here's a recipe that looks promising - could probably add a good cup or two pistachio nuts (roasted but unsalted) and maybe some sultanas to that, mmmmm.

I look forward to hearing what else you can do with tahini! I like the stuff, but never know what to do with it!

Rage And Love said...

OOOOO! the Tahini bowl looks really good!

And you can't beat the pancakes...love those things!

Rose said...

I'm so glad you blogged about tahini because I have a jar at home and don't know what to do with it. I've made "Raw Cookie Dough" with it and that's pretty good. All you have to do is add a tablespoon of agave to a tablespoon of raw tahini and throw in some cacao nibs (which I didn't have). You can also use it as a spread. Try adding cocoa/carob powder to the mix - it's pretty good!

Bonnie said...

But I want to say hummus, that's all I ever use tahini for! So I guess I'll just keep an eye on the comments here as I can use some suggestions myself :) Oh, there are Mihl's Dried Pepper and Sesame Rolls, I wanted to make those once and was halfway through making them when I realized I had no tahini. They look good though! I still want to try them.
With all those pictures and descriptions, you've really got me craving something with tahini right now. Mmm...

Ashasarala said...

I would have suggested hummus. I'm sorry... tee hee... Ever try making a faux cheese with it? It's interesting...

For crispiness, you could always try bread crumbs on the fries. A little sprinkle goes a long way. ;)

radioactivegan said...

Mini Crustless Tofu Quiche: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/12/mini-crustless-tofu-quiches.html
YUMMY!!! I usually put in broccoli, onions, mushrooms, and sun-dried tomatoes (instead of the veggies she has listed). I can't say enough, yummy!

Traci Anne said...

I think if you use a little more oil and leave the fries in longer, they'll get crispier... also if you cut them a little thinner :) I had the same trouble when making them and found that this formula works a little better!

Vegan_Noodle said...

I love eating foods that make me feel nostalgic. I like that twist on the tofu scramble... and who cares if tofu scrambles are cliche on vegan food blogs. They are yummy anyways.
I use tahini in a french toast recipe from vegweb (I think it's called french toast sans bananas) and also as a dipping sauce for dreena's moroccan chickpea patties (I think it's the tamari tahini sauce). And I think you can also use it in the super charge me cookies from edbv. I'm sure I'll think of more....

Anonymous said...

dang! i was gonna say hummus!
but you could make falafel along with it. :0)

i dunno... i'm not creative enough with tahini yet.

or maybe i just love hummus too much to veer away from it.

Kristen's Raw said...

Again...Your food always looks so delicious and comforting and fun!

I am crazy for tahini and I eat it frequently so I make my own Raw tahini...so simple and delicious.

Cheers!
Kristen's Raw

Amy said...

Mmmm I love tahini. I make this one all the time (it goes wonderfully on steamed spinach and also on couscous): Garlicky Tahini Spinach

2 bags of baby spinach (or about 2 bunches of English)
1/3 cup tahini
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt

Put tahini in a small bowl. Stir in the garlic, lemon juice and 1/4 tsp salt. Gradually stir in 2-3 tbsp of water to make a sauce that's creamy but not runny.

Pick stems off spinach. Throw into a microwave safe container and add a couple of tbsp of water. Zap for a couple of minutes until soft. Alternatively bring a few tbsp of water to a boil in a large saucepan. Throw handfulls of spinach into the pan until it wilts adding more frequently until all in and wilted. Serve hot with a few tbsp of sauce on top.

Teresa said...

MISO TAHINI SAUCE! MMM it is so good. I've also heard that if you add nutritional yeast to miso tahini that it makes a good cheesy sauce for macaroni. Oh and of course, use the tahini for HUMMUS. I think that I might try that greenie tahini recipe myself.

I say even if the sweet potato fries are soft they still taste good. Deep frying just downright scares me!

Everything looks great!

Teresa said...

Oh yeah- the tahini sauce in both Vive and TEV are really good. I think one is sesame tahini and the other is tahini tamari, or something like that! YUM!

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

I second the Miso-Tahini Sauce!! I just made it today and it's amazing (and eeeeeasy! and especially good with the suggested garlic, lemon and pepper)

Your chocolate pancakes are going to haunt my dreams. :o

Also, that scramble looks amazing

and ALSO, the chickpea cutlets were SO much better the next day, you were right! I cut them into strips and dipped them in the mustard sauce and it was mmmmmmm good.

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

What about those famous tofu quiches over at the fatfree blog? Hmmm... or tahini is always good on falafels :o)... or you could make a tahini salad dressing... ok, I'm out of ideas, but I'm excited to see what you come up with. Oh, and your post title is absolutely hilarious!!!

Also, I bought sweet potatoes to make fries ;o). Yay!

Sarah P said...

halvah is one of my fave things to do with tahini.

also, why do your pancakes always come out looking gorgeous?! I'm super jealous.

Sarah P said...

ha ha yeahhhhh I ate all three crepes for dinner. but I was resourceful and only used one plate! ^_^;

Anke said...

baba ganoush: roast an eggplant until it is really soft, then mash it with a fork and add tahini, lemon juice, salt, olive oil (and garlic if you like it).

or mash a banana with a fork and add 1 tblsp. tahini. best fast dessert ever.

Jen said...

Hi RRV! I just saw your comment on the Greenie Tahini bowl - I'm so glad you like it! It's definitely one of my own favorites :-) Everything else in your post looks fabulous, too!