Saturday, February 16, 2008

An Ethnic Start to the Weekend

Oatmeal. Yum. More about that later. First, I must tell you about my wonderful ethnic cuisine experiences from today and yesterday!



I was really in the mood for chocolate at lunchtime today. So I shuttled my way into town and stopped at a Mediterranean cafe that I'd passed many times with curiosity. I informed the cashier (who I believe was the owner) of my vegan-ness, and immediately he began spouting off all the menu items I could have. But I had chocolate coffee on the brain, and I asked about the Arabian Mocha on the coffee bar menu. The owner said he had soymilk, and the chocolate was dairy-free. Yee-haw! And entree-wise, he pretty much decided what I was going to have. He was just one of those types of managers, really fun and warm but very confident about his food. He said, "I'm making you Baba ghanouj." I was so excited because never before have I tried Baba Ghanouj, an eggplant dip similar to hummus. My much-anticipated mocha was delivered first.



Wow! As soon as I stuck my nose near the glass, I could smell cardamom, and lots of it. I was so proud that I could identify the spice, haha. I really like the idea of putting a hot coffee drink in a heavy-duty clear glass instead of a mug. It looks prettier. But I digress. The mocha was unlike any other I have had before! It had a thick crema on top, but was made with Turkish coffee. It was incredibly strong and concentrated; traditionally mochas are made with espresso, but the menu said it was coffee. I was thankfully that the drink was deeply chocolate-y, but not overly sweet. Dark, dark chocolate is the best! This was a big glass, which excited me because it lasted my entire meal, but four and a half hours later, I still have a few jitters left over from drinking it.





The verdict? I really like Baba ghanouj! For some reason, the owner decided to include puddles of olive oil on top of the dip, so I just avoided that. I knew there was already oil on the pita triangles and pureed into the dip! By the way, I think this meal encompasses my favorite food combinations: a hot chocolate or mocha paired with dip and pita bread is so comforting and delicious. Ahhh.


I didn't go hungry on Valentine's Day. Do you need proof?




There's your proof. My local Whole Foods and Wild Oats stores carry baked goods from Chicago Diner, the famous vegan eatery. This Peanut Butter Cookie was the best cookie I've ever had in my life, vegan or not, and nothing could complement it better than a soy hot chocolate (top right corner; made with Ah-laska dairy-free cocoa mix). I'd also have to say the size of this cookie could rival any other cookie I've had in my life. It was gigantic. Two-thirds of the way through I decided it was so good I had to photograph it for the blog. The cookie was still moist and soft from being baked in Chicago, and I microwaved it for 15 seconds: It tasted just-out-of-the-oven fresh and radiated with cozy warmth. The rest of you may have enjoyed homemade baked goods on V-Day this year, but I so thoroughly enjoyed this cookie that I would not have traded it for any other dessert. It's one of the those foods up there in the running with Isa's Fauxstess Cupcake and Isa and Terry's Chocolate Chip Brownie Waffles, my other two most favorite foods posted about on my blog.



Now, let us continue with the ethnic fun!





Sorry for the blurry picture, but I felt obligated to protect the innocent by not including their faces on the blog (and thus I cropped the picture). But that's me on the left, about to enjoy my Ethiopian feast! The awesome thing about dining Ethiopian-style in a group is that you all eat from the same plate! No one uses utensils - you just scoop up the food by tearing off little pieces of injera, a spongy, pancake-like flatbread made from teff flour, and dipping. And the best part was all of our food was vegan, even though no one else at our table of 6 was even vegetarian! Since it was Friday, some people were observing Lent and couldn't eat meat, so we decided to only order vegetarian food. Again, the waitress said everything we ordered was vegan, and before the meal someone made a remark about how they would die without meat. However, I am confident in saying that every person at the table highly enjoyed our Ethiopian experience, which just so happened to also be vegan. Veganism is not deprivation if you do it right!!!

Oh, did I tell you some oatmeal was coming up? Well. I tricked you! I didn't mean to, but... This post is entirely too long to include my two new recipes, but they will surely, definitely, most certainly be in the next one. I cross my vegan heart. I'll leave you lovely, loyal, dear readers with this to satiate your anticipation:

21 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

you've never tried baba before?!?!! my goodness, Ruby Red, you've been missing out!! so glad you got to try it and like it!! and I'm glad to read that everyone enjoyed their Ethiopian meal experience as well :0)

as for that mystery dessert concoction - looks like some sort of heavenly mousse topped with pecans... am I close? haha.

aTxVegn said...

Isn't Ethiopian food fun and delicious?!?! It's so spicy good I could eat it every day. Baba is good too, but I love hummus more. It seems at restaurants they love to put pools of oil on top.

I have chocolate coffee every morning, but a shot of that Turkish coffee would be awesome.

I can't wait for your oat recipes!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Gosh, you sure didn't go hungry on Valentine's Day! I am super-jealous that your WFS carries Chicago Diner cookies, as I've only heard good things about that place.

As for the Ethiopian, it has got to be one of my favorite ethnic cuisines... I always order a combo plate all for myself and I eat the entire plate, including the whole injera covering the bottom! Haha I go a lot with my dad, and the waitress always tells him he's a disgrace because this tiny little girl has a bigger appetite than he does (he usually leaves about half LOL).

Even though I don't really love eggplant, I DO love baba ganouj. And your coffee sounds truly ambrosial. Sadly for me, I have had to switch to decaf coffee, since I like coffee in the afternoon, not the morning, but the caffeine gets to me. Oh well, I'm getting used to it.

I'll put a picture of my nails in my next post for ya hehe.

Hope you have an awesome, super, fantastical (ok, so that's not a word) week!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you got to try baba ganouj, it's one of my favourite things in the world.

I've never had etiophian food but it does sound and look lovely, and how awesome is it that everyone had vegan food, yay!

Monika K said...

Baba is one of my favorites! The oil on top thing is pretty standard and when I ask a restaurant to hold the oil, they usually look at me strangely, like I crawled out from a rock or something... But who wants to waste their entire day's caloric intake on olive oil?!

Anyways, just wanted to stop by and say - great blog!

Bonnie said...

I've heard so many mixed things about Ethiopian food, I don't know what to think of it. Maybe I should try it myself, haha. In any case, your description of the vegan meal you all shared there does sound good...
And so does the baba ganouj! that is really good. And the mocha, the cookie, the oatmeal... gosh. I'm gonna have some breakfast now!

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

no, no, don't tempt me with creamy oatmeal bowls! haha, it's okay, I'll forgive because everything else looks really really special. I still haven't tried ethiopean food! I must fix that.

And you tried baba ganouj! I'm glad you like it, even the uber-oily version they sometimes make. That restaurant owner sounds like a total character!

J said...

All of your foods sound so good! Glad to see you are eating so well this week. :) I have never tried Ethiopian food, but after seeing yours, I just might have to now!

kolls said...

Ohhhh yum, I LOVE baba! Actually, I have a ginormous eggplant chillin' (hee!) in my fridge right now - I think I know what to do with it! I haven't had Ethiopian before, but there's a restaurant down the block from us... hmmmmmm...

Lizzy said...

Oh wow the ethiopian food looks wonderful!!
I'll have to look for an ethiopian restaurant around here.

I've printed out a baba recipe weeks ago, but used the eggplant for roasting and haven't bought one again since. Will do tomorrow!
Ugh, I hate it when people add unneccessary amounts of oil. Oh man I totally crave pita bread and dip now!

The waiter sounds so nice, I love it when you happen to go to a restaurant where people are like that.
That coffee... what I would do to drink one like that right now. I'm a huge coffee addict, I doubt I could ever switch to decaf. And turkish coffee really makes the heart race, but somehow I enjoy it =p
The way you describe that VDay cookie makes me wish I had one here right now! Microwaving it is an great idea I've never had so far. Thanks for mentioning it =)

I'm looking forward to the oatmeal posts!!

J said...

That mocha looks and sounds delish!

Ooooh, that Ethiopian food looks good. I've never had Ethiopian before, I think I'll have to try it!

Sheree' said...

Hi, your Ethipian food looks wonderful. How fun! I have never had Baba. I will have to give it a try soon. Oh, to answer your question, the Gardenburger Chick'n patties are much better than boca in my opinion. Gardenburger has both a breaded and grilled chick'n patty. Our family loves both of them.

Unknown said...

Ethiopian food is fantastic and I just love eating it with my fingers.

Vegan_Noodle said...

Wow, mediterranean and ethiopian food all in one post!! Glad you got out and tried them both. I have only been out to ethiopian once, but really enjoyed it.
So glad you got some sweets on v-day, and from chicago diner nonetheless! I have really been wanting to visit just for that reason (crazy how i like to plan trips revolving around vegan food). Peanut butter cookies are one of my favorites.
Looksing forward to your oatmeal recipe!!
Oh, and you look so cute in that picture :-)

Sarah P said...

oooo I'm going to have ethiopian food with a friend of mine sometime soon... I'm especially psyched now that i see how tasty it looks!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Haha I don’t think I’d do too well eating from a communal plate because I’d get defensive of all my favorite foods, and try to eat as much of my favorite parts as quickly as possible so that no one else could steal some LOL.

I think your attitude towards food is awesome—it’s the attitude I try to have as well. I mean, life is short, so we shouldn’t worry ALL THE TIME about only eating healthy things and never indulging. Even the healthiest eater in the world could get hit by a truck at age 20, and then what a waste it would’ve been that he/she never indulged! Plus, sometimes the stress caused by worrying about eating “perfectly” is worse for you than actually eating junk food! And besides, the studies on caffeine are inconclusive—I mean, first it’s bad for you, then it’s good for you, then it’s bad again, all depending on which study you choose to believe! Hehe, but enough of my rambling ;o).

Ashasarala said...

Baba ganouj is amazing! I love it for sandwiches and dipping chips and veggies. It's prolly better than hummus, if I do say so myself. ;)

I LOVE ethnic cuisine. It's nice to deviate from the norm every now and again. Everything looks so yummy here- particularly the mocha. Mmmm... :)

My friend and I stayed in Miami for a few days and ended up finding a Meditteranean restaurant. Everything we ate was vegan and utterly amazing. It was such a relief, seeing as we were in a town that probably didn't even know what 'vegetarian' is!

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

I LOVE Ethiopian food! I'm so lucky because we have a Little Ethiopia in L.A. There's even an Ethiopian restaurant there that's 100% vegan! I'm so glad you got to try it. I don't like coffee, but that coffee drink you described sounds delicious! Babaganouj...yum!

BTW, I'd love to know what fiction book you were reading that mentioned tempeh!!

Rose said...

Oh my gosh, I want that cookie now! I hope my Whole Foods carries cookies from the Chicago Diner...I'd have to check next time I go.

I haven't ever had Ethiopian food but have been wanting to for the longest time. I think the thing that attracts me most to this cuisine is the fact that you don't have to use any utensils!

Amy said...

Coincidentally, I just made peanut butter cookies today--so I don't have to covet your yummy cookie!

Veggie said...

That mocha coffee looks so good.

I tried Ethiopian food (made at home) for the first time this year, but I'd like to try it at a restaurant (to see if it's any different).