I appreciated that the manatees were being secluded for a good cause, but I'm not sure how I felt about the other fish and sea animals being caged up for the public to oogle at. There wasn't a lot of information displayed about where the fish came from - and the tanks were fairly large, but I couldn't help but think how boring life must be in an aquarium when the fishies could be exploring an entire ocean. I felt especially bad for the dolphins - they are my favorite animals and it looked like their swimming space was pretty limited. I'm not sure where the dolphins came from - I didn't go to the other floor to see the area where they can visit the surface of the water - but I hope they have a more rewarding life in the future.


The World Showcase portion of Epcot was where my mom, dad, sister, and I went once we had worked up an appetite. We headed to Tangierine [sic] Cafe in Morocco for a Mediterranean-themed lunch. I ordered the Vegetable Plate, but I was disappointed that the Moroccan bread and all the pita bread and other carb-y items at Tangierine were not vegan (the cafe does have an ingredient book available to assist diners with special allergies, intolerances, or special diets). I requested for the bread and honey-laden lentil salad to be left off my plate, which ended up consisting of couscous, a black & green olive salad, a parsley tabbouleh salad, and hummus. Are you seeing the same problem I did? Yep, I had nothing to dip the hummus in!!! The problem was solved, however, with my mother's help. She ordered a falafel sandwich without the yogurt-y sauce and gave me half of her falafel balls to dip into my hummus. She's such a good mommy, so kind to her wonderful daughter (me, haha!). It was her first experience with falafel, and she really liked it! I also thought the falafel was very good and the hummus was pretty decent, but not the best I've had. I had yummy Moroccan mint tea for my beverage, but sadly this restaurant didn't have any vegan-friendly desserts. Overall, this was a pretty good and satisfying lunch for me, though my poor mommy said she got hungry later.
I've also been searching Disney World and Downtown Disney for coffee shops that serve soymilk. The first was in Downtown Disney, at the cafe inside Virgin Megastore, and the second was here in Epcot, near the United Kingdom portion of World Showcase. Sadly, the decaf soy latte I ordered was completely gag-worthy - the espresso was so acidic and awful, but I drink fortified soymilk to meet my nutritional needs every day so I was glad to be able to find some outside the convenience of my resort room's fridge.
I was glad when the time came for our dinner reservation because I was getting extremely sick of walking around Epcot - we had already done everything we wanted to do. We went back to United Kingdom section of the park to Rose & Crown Pub. The nicest woman ever ended up being our waitress, and I was extremely amused that everyone working at the pub had a British accent, including their nice and cheery chef. She came out to tell me my options, and there ended up being a vegan entree already on the menu: Vegetable Curry. It sounded amazing, so I went with that rather than requesting for her to create something especially for me, which she did offer to do. (Aww!)

The Vegetable Curry came with Indian bread, a scoop of sticky & sweet quinoa, and vegetables in a coconut curry sauce. Wow! was I absolutely in love with their quinoa - I've never had it prepared this way and can say it's the best I've ever had. It didn't have the slightest hint of bitterness, either. Yum! I also thoroughly enjoyed the Indian bread, which I downed in about 2.37 bites. Okay, so that's an exaggeration, but it disappeared before I even realized it. :) The curry part was also delicious, but I liked the bread and grain elements of my meal the very most. I highly, highly recommend this restaurant if you go to Disney World. We sat outside on the patio, right along this giant lake in the middle of Epcot. We finished eating at around 6 pm, so it was still beautiful and bright outside, with just the slightest breeze.
Dessert was a fresh fruit bowl with cantaloupe, honeydew melon, and grapes.
Day Five
Today we planned to go to the classic Disney park, Magic Kingdom - that's the one with Cinderella's giant white castle. My favorite ride at Magic Kingdom is Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blaster. You get in a little space car and ride along a little track speckled with aiming targets. This is actually an interactive ride, because the cars are equipped with big laser guns, which is what you use to hit said targets. Each person even has their own digital scoreboard inside the car, so you can rack up some points and show off/laugh at your family members when you get a higher score than they do! I've always been competitive with video games and even school academic contests, be it a classroom Jeopardy game or a spelling bee, which explains my love for this ride. I ended up getting an okay score and beat everyone in my family - except for my mom! This came as a total surprise, because she is technologically challenged and is awful at video games. But I'll just count this little instance as a freak accident. I am still queen of the Buzz Lightyear ride. (I'm not actually that good at it, haha, but I say I'm the queen if I want!)

I was really looking forward to lunch - I had it all planned out to go to the Tomorrowland Terrace Noodle Station because I knew they had not one, but two tofu entrees. Warning for any future Disney visitors: The Vegetable Noodle Bowl contains whey in it's soup/noodle consumme base... So I got the Teriyaki Tofu with Steamed White Rice and Vegetables. The rice in my entree was vegan according to the ingredients, but it tasted really chicken-y. In an awful, awful way. I've never had ramen noodles, but if I could possibly imagine what a "chicken flavored" ramen noodle package tasted like, I would imagine this rice. Hopefully, I freaked myself out for nothing. The teriyaki sauce was light and sparse - I could barely taste it and what I could taste was bland, nothing special. The "chef" at this quick service station obviously do not know what to do with tofu. It was just there. In little steamed hunky chunks. Shudder. That tofu is why tofu gets a bad rap. I had grapes for dessert and an organic iced peach green tea that tasted like cardboard. Then again, I didn't add sweetener, but I'm not much of a tea girl. I just don't know what to do with it!

Something very, very special awaited me at the Ice Cream Parlor on Main Street at Magic Kingdom. Er - I should more properly say, "somethings." I got a double scoop of Chocolate Tofutti "ice cream"! I love this brand and flavor so much! It was 88 degrees in Orlando that day, so soy ice cream was the perfect treat. Even my dad thought the Tofutti was yummy and I quote: "much creamier than regular ice cream." Goodness, Magic Kingdom really has a lot to offer for vegans. There was not-so-tasty tofu option I chose for lunch, but their other restaurants offer vegan burgers, vegetable wraps, vegan chili, and hummus sandwiches! The Main Street Bakery next door supposedly carries Divvies allergy-friendly/vegan cookies, but I wanted ice cream more so we didn't go to the bakery.

I was really excited about tonight's dinner reservations in particular, out of all the other dinner plans we had made, for Wolfgang Puck Cafe in Downtown Disney. It's pretty upscale, and we'd already had a great experience at the express version of Wolfgang just a few days earlier. I was expecting a lot after my meal there hand-crafted by the chef. Sadly, this restaurant was the first in our Disney experience that did not deliver the goods. Literally. The chef did not have many innovative ideas to begin with - this really surprised me because I think good chefs are supposed to be creative, especially if they work in a restaurant of this caliber. They should also be accomodating if they are working on Disney resort property. I was led to believe by the staff that their spring rolls were vegan after one modification (the slaw) and the chef had proposed to make me a side of sauteed zucchini, squash, and eggplant with lemon and garlic. The dish seemed simple but I thought he would be able to make it something special, like the Wolfgang Puck Express chef did with my roasted vegetable wrap.

As you can see, the sauteed vegetables were presented beautifully. I also expected them to at least taste good. This chef, however, delivered vegetables that would make people not want to eat vegetables. They were oily, slightly cold, and nothing special at all. I was really put off because I had been eating so well all week at the other sit-down restaurants. This dish's presentation reminded me of the movie Ratatouille, so then that reminded me of the food critic's motto: "If I don't love it, I don't swallow." I'm normally a complete veggie lover, but I gave the sad guys on my plate a chance and didn't like it, so I didn't eat much of it at all.
The staff also delivered me the order of spring rolls incorrectly - they had the un-vegan slaw - so our waitress returned them and then the same ones were sent back again! The waitress expertly snatched it up, rolled her eyes at the kitchen staff, and finally got me what I wanted. Almost. I took one bite of the first roll and immediately sensed something was wrong. The spring roll wrapper was very flaky, and had an almost-familiar taste that I hadn't tasted in a long, long time. I had to get the chef to ask what the roll wrappers were made of, and it turns out my vegan-radar was correct: the rolls had been sealed with a very small amount of egg wash (the chef had "forgotten," oops). EW! It made me really upset that so much food ended up being wasted, and all the mix-ups could have fed other people... And I knew animals had suffered for the food that had been put on those plates.
Basically with all the attention and waitstaff and chefs flying around to check up on me, it got really dramatic and tears were involved. I really don't like a lot of attention, and I hated feeling picky; I felt like I had ruined my family's meal with all the fuss. By this point, my parents and sister had finished eating and I hadn't eaten anything substantial so far. I figured I had to eat something, but I wanted to be safe so I asked for a completely plain and dry green salad. The manager wouldn't let up about giving me some dressing. Seriously, I don't know why. So I was like, whatever, just give me some oil and vinegar on the side. And for some reason and somehow he badgered me into agreeing to some vinaigrette that he said was "safe." (I didn't believe him, though, at this point...) I just specified for the whatever dressing to be on the side. And what did I get? A romaine salad slathered with dressing. It was a vinaigrette, and I took a few bites because I had felt wasteful enough already, but seriously! A dry salad was all I had asked for, and they couldn't even give me that! I gave up, finally. So I left hungry and disappointed, except for my dessert of strawberries and raspberries.

Thank goodness for that, but it wasn't quite enough for dinner. The experience was just really upsetting and I kept fixating on it for the next few days. Again, I don't like creating a fuss, but I feel like the chefs at Disney are obligated to know how to deal with dietary restrictions if they advertise that they can do so. Oh! Annnd the chef also told me that I could eat the appetizer bread, but I asked again before I ate it and found out there was honey in it! (Same was the case in Wolfgang Puck Express, which was what warranted my double-checking.)
Ahhh. So that sucked a lot. But it was the first horrible experience I had, and all I could think was that I was glad I had eaten most of my double scoop of Tofutti earlier that day. But I like to take very good care of myself nutritionally speaking, and I don't like to go hungry. I like to set the example, especially as a nutrition major, that the vegan diet is nutritionally adequate. I don't think it's okay to only eat fruit and vegetables. So I made sure to fill my body up with lovely calcium, vitamins D & B12, and protein with a glass of soymilk back in our room at the resort. Normally I'd eat more, but I was honestly so emotionally worked up after Wolfgang that it was all I could manage before going right to sleep...
More happy days are coming, I promise! The rest of my days at Disney are coming soon to a post near you! A Ruby Red Vegan post, that is. Sorry for the downer at the end of this one! Smile, smiley, smile. All better!
25 comments:
I just licked the olives. well, in reality, i licked my dirty computer. don't tell anyone.
oatmeal loves RRV so smile!
I am so sorry that your meals were basically a flop. Thank goodness you were able to have vegan ice cream and some nice looking strawberries. I have gone to so many restaurants and had the same issues. Dry salad usually works, that is until they bring it to you with cheese. ahhhhhhhhhhh
I do hope you try the steamed sausages. They really are delicious. I think Fridays have turned into waffle night. DH requested them again with VEGAN sausage!!!
I'm sorry your dinner went so wrong. I hate it when I have to ask 10 times about the ingredients and make sure something is vegan, and then it comes with a scoop of heavy cream over it...
But the vegan ice cream looks great!
Ooh, the rides you talk about sound like so much fun ^^ I understand how you felt about the aquariums, though - the animals in there are probably all beautiful to look at and if some of them were rescued then I guess that's great, but they're still in cages. I'm with you hoping that they'll have more freedom in the future...
I'm so sorry the meals in this post were such a disappointment! Well, except the curry with the bread and quinoa and the tofutti icecream, of course :) I've only tried the mango-flavoured tofutti, but if I ever get the chance, I'd love to try the chocolate flavour, as well! It looks so yummy and you look so happy :)
I would get frustrated by the people in the restaurant, too. I understand how they made you feel like you were the one being annoying, while they were really the ones who didn't get it right (and again, and again!).
Though it's not a full meal at all, the fruit you got for dessert does look quite delicious! I'm glad the following days were happier.
I'm so jealous!! That ice cream looks amazing. I can't believe how vegan-friendly D-world is!!
It sucks when your meal doesn't go right! Yay for vegan ice cream.
Ahhh, Ruby Red!!! I can't believe that you experienced THAT many botched meals!! :0( Makes you want to cook more, doesn't it? haha ;0) I hope you experienced better meals on the rest of your trip, girl! at least the ice cream was good!
As for your question about my wardrobe, on my blog: Wearing all B&W, with a hint of color, has always been my style - it's not a rule, just a preference :0)
First of all, how cute are you with that ice cream?! And that's so funny about the manatees-- who knew you could gain so much weight on a diet of lettuce! It's great that they're being rehabilitated. It'd be nice if Disney used ALL rescue animals in their attractions... but this is a good start, I guess.
Ugh, I'm totally upset for you about your experience at Wolfgang's restaurant. I doubt the chef would've simply "forgotten" to not use an egg-white wash had you been allergic to eggs, so his carelesness is terrible! And the fact that they made you, a paying customer, feel uncomfortable in their restaurant is just unacceptable. I'm so happy to know that the other places in which you ate were more accomodating! I'm in awe that they actually have quinoa available at Disney!!!
And I laughed out loud at your description of being the queen of the Buzz Lightyear ride. That's quite a title, dear friend!
I truly can't believe how inconsiderate the chefs at Wolfgang's were. I'm so sorry that happened to you. I don't expect a lot when I go out to unveg restaurants, but I do expect SOMETHING! Thank goodness for Tofutti!!
please find a way to recreate that quinoa and post the recipe because it looks amazing! I'm sorry your wolfgang puck meal sucked so much : /
but overall, it sounds like disney world is SO vegan friendly - that sounds great.
I love manatees too, and my brother once asked if he could call me manatee. I said yes, and he was thrilled because manatees are also known as sea cows, so for a solid week instead of saying my name, my brother called me "sea cow." it's a miracle I still like manatees.
What a post!!!!
Thank you so much for posting about your food experiences! When I go to Disney (I think in the fall), I'm coming back to read this post and take notes about the food. Seriously! THANKS!!!!!
HUGS AND CHEERS!!!
Yikes, that last dinner experience sounds like a rough one. Take heart in the fact that most of us have been there and know how you felt.... it sucks. But you got through it :-)
On the bright side, you are so cute with your tofutti ice cream!! And I know what you mean about aquariums and zooz, it's tough because I love seeing animals up close but I also know that's not where they belong...
I am really really gald you posted this. Wolfgang Puck was one of the first places I ate out at as a vegan (in January) and it stressed me out so much, that I ended up not eating vegan that night. (I was there to run the Disney half-marathon, so skipping dinner was not an option, and I had only been vegan for about 2 or 3 weeks by then.) I have slowly been gaining my confidence in restaurants, but I feel most comfortable eating at home. I can totally relate to your frustration and tears, this has happened to me a few times since the Wolfgang Puck experience. It is frustrating that restaurants either don't understand what is vegan, or they think that by removing the animal products and not adding anything more back in, they have satisfied you.
Thank you for posting your success as well as your failure at Disney. This really encourages me to keep trying!
hooray for the vegan tofutti! i completely understand your feelings about aquariums...it always makes me sad to see any creature in cramped spaces...but at least they are happy to see our smiling faces (i think so anyways!)
despite the few meal upsets, it is still quite amazing that disney world has vegan options. thanks so much for all the time you put into your posts!
It's too bad that your veggie platter was disappointing--it certainly LOOKS gorgeous.
I have yet to try Tofutti, but I always stare at it & contemplate buying it every time I'm at the grocery store... I really need to one of these days when it FINALLY warms up! :) You look super-cute with your cup of it!
Oh....that's truly awful that you experienced those unpleasant meals! I know how frustrating/discouraging it is to have a restaurant seem incapable of serving certain dietary needs- it seems rather foolish and impracticable if you ask me.
Yum- more Tofutti! It makes me want to go to Disney Land just so I can say that I was able to eat vegan ice cream in Disney Land!
traveling can be so frustrating for food! (my blog has some basics about my recent trip to south texas) i hope that returning to make your own meals will help as much as it's going to help me this week! home-cooked food, yum!
tagged you!
Lovely pictures, the food looks so good!
And I have to find soy ice cream before summer starts! You look so sweet holding it up all smiley & proud like "Look what I got!"
About the dinner - what a disappointment. I can imagine how you must've felt! Why do people make things complicated when it's absolutely not neccessary? Especially (like you said) when they claim to be able to handle special diet orders.
It does show how difficult going out can be if you are vegan. Great post.
Haha you should see my schedule most days-- it's soooooo repetitive and boring (but I like it that way). I DO like to find excuses to throw or go to parties, though, just so I can decorate things! (Ah, the dumb things in life that make me happy!)
Next week, I get to make cupcakes for another Circle of Friends charity party! Soooooo excited :o)
the quinoa looks really yummy! its too bad there was such a problem in preparing your food. youd think that people would be more accommodating. o well. i guess thats the world :)
Hi Ruby Red, thanks for your comment about the cupcakes! :) decorating them was a lot of fun. I don't think it's necessary to have a mixer to make them - not for the cupcakes, at least. I always do use a hand mixer for the frosting, but I'm sure you can make it without one, too, as long as everything gets mixed well and as fluffy as possible :) I imagine it's hard work, though, as the frosting can be very thick. But you know, I'm way too lazy, and it would still be worth it because cupcakes are the best. I hope you make some and show us the pictures! :D
But you said someone else is making you vegan cupcakes now? Lucky you!
Thanks hehe I like my taste buds too. Except for one thing-- they're not very discerning when it comes to chocolate! If it's chocolate, I automatically like it!
I found your Disney posts thru your comment on my sister Jenny's blog - thanks for the indepth report on eating vegan at Disney!! This is so helpful to me, also to think about being creative in what you ask for, as well as accepting that it is not always going to go according to plan (I just got back from five days in London where eating vegan was thankfully pretty easy). I felt bad for you reading about the negative meals, but the good ones really looked delicious!
If you ever get the platter in Morocco in Epcot again, you can ask them to sub an extra scoop of hummus for the lentil salad and rice for the bread. I did that an it was wonderful :)
Post a Comment