Monday, July 28, 2008

California Does it Better Sometimes

I am the only member of my family that does not watch The Hills on MTV (though I will admit I am/was addicted to Legally Blonde the Musical: The Search for Elle Woods on the same channel). One of the characters on The Hills frequents a coffee shop in Los Angeles called Karma Coffeehouse, and so my dad mentioned that he was curious what it was like. His request for our Los Angeles/Disneyland trip this past week was that we stop at Karma. When he was reading me the menu online, I practically jumped for joy out of my good luck: Not only did I learn Karma sold vegan cookies, but they also have a significant vegan selection on their lunch menu.



After a stop at Santa Monica Pier and an overwhelmingly long search for a parking spot in Hollywood, the family stopped for a late lunch at Karma. I get really excited about new restaurants when I know I'm going to get some good eats as a vegan, so I was a block ahead of my dad, mom, and sister from our parking spot to the entrance of the coffee shop. The interior was all smiles and rainbows, kind of modern hippie? I don't know how to describe it, but it was a really cute place! The cashier was so sweet and patient with my omni familia and when my sister learned -- to her horror -- that 9 out of the 10 lunch menu items were devoid of meat, cheese, and all that she holds dear.

My sister and mother both got non-vegan sandwiches for their entree; my dad got a mocha and a vegan sandwich and requested to add meat to it (all vegans sigh here...); and I ordered the Monkey Munch, an almond butter sandwich complete with strawberries, bananas, and 100% pure maple syrup on hazelnut-raisin bread. As soon as my dad read me their menu on the internet back at home, I knew this was the sandwich for me. So understandably, there was quite a lot of anticipation leading up to this sandwich. I also ordered a decaf soy latte, my signature drink.

I'm really picky with my espresso, but I won't go into that -- the espresso was surprisingly tasty for decaf, but the microfoam/soymilk consistency I look for wasn't there. But the real star of the meal was my sandwich! The shop was empty except for one other person, but it still took awhile for the kitchen to turn out a meal for four; however, it ended up being worth the wait.



This picture does not even begin to do justice to the wonderfulness of my sandwich. The thick slabs of hazelnut-raisin bread were absolutely huge and were lightly toasted; the filling of the sandwich was incredibly decadent and heavenly. My mom took a bite of mine and really enjoyed the bite too -- but she said she wouldn't be able to eat too much of a sandwich that was so rich. Haha, I enjoyed my rich sandwich, thank you very much.

We actually had to go back to the shop later in the day. I was too full for dessert after lunch, but we were at some mall and my family was enjoying "their" cookies. They felt bad and offered to take me back to Karma to get an Uncle Eddie's Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie.



I enjoyed this in the (2 hour) car ride back to Anaheim from L.A. Traffic was horrible! Thank heavens I had my cookie to keep my belly happy. While I enjoyed Uncle Eddie's baked circle of goodness, I have to admit that I like
this cookie recipe on Celine's blog even better -- the chocolate chip spelt cookies, which happen to contain peanut butter also. I think it is because spelt flour rules in cookies!

The next day at Disneyland, I already knew where I would be having my lunch:
Vegyogini tipped me off to a place where I could get a kick-butt vegan meal in the park, near the Pirates of the Caribbean ride. Here's my Vegetarian Gumbo, which was also vegan.



While it was just bread and soup, it was surprisingly delicious. The soup was thick and satisfying and I had to stop myself from eating the entire sourdough bread bowl. Sadly though, Disneyland is not as vegan-friendly as Disney World. I was just glad I only had to eat one meal inside the Disneyland park, or I would have been doomed to more meals of only white bread, oil, and vegetables.



During the trip, I did enjoy my little breakfasts of fruit and raw almonds, Cinnamon Puffins, and individually sealed 8-ounce packages of soymilk I brought from home, as well as the occasional Jamba Juice (conveniently located in Downtown Disney, literally in the backyard of our resort). But I must say I was very glad to have a homemade breakfast back in Texas after our vacation was over. Such as...



An Oatmeal-Banana-Peanut Butter Waffle, topped with dried cherries, raspberries, Earth Balance, and pure maple syrup, was the first thing I made for myself back at home. I adapted the Oatmeal-Banana-Raisin Waffle recipe from Vegan with a Vengeance by replacing almost all of the oil with peanut butter and omitting the raisins. This experiment was partially a failure... While it made a crisp, incredibly tasty waffle, the waffle kind of crumbled once I cut into it. And even though there was almost 2 tablespoons of PB in my individual waffle, I could barely taste it. Boo! Next time the PB is going on top of the waffle. I was still very pleased with my breakfast and with my splurge on organic fresh raspberries. Yum!


 

52 comments:

Emma said...

Mmm it all looks yummy. That sandwich sounds amazing! I definitely wouldn't have found it too rich either!

The waffle brekkie sounds ace too- what a great way to start the day!

KP said...

Everything looks delicious!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

The gumbo and waffle look quite scrumptious; but it's that Monkey Munch sandwich that I TRULY have my eye on - YUM!!! :0)

Anonymous said...

we were totally in sync to make our waffles!
I still can't get over the cookie. and now, the monkey munch has my name written all over it.
and finally? you're definitely right about the "sometimes" part of California does it better, because it depends where you're at. and I'm not where it's better, hell no.

Anonymous said...

Ooo I love the Hills!! hehe


My mom is obsessed with the Uncle Eddies cookies, and I think they are amazing too even though I don't eat them that often.


I have to try an oatmeal waffle, they sound so good!

Rose said...

The sandwich looks so delicious! I wish I still lived in California :(

Katy said...

All that food looks delicious, but I could really go for a waffle right now! Yum!

Virginia said...

This is kind of off subject of your current post, but, I want to thank you for blogging about your trip to Disney World previously. It has helped me so much because I am planning a trip there in February and I feel confident now that they will be able to accommodate me! Yours is the only blog that I have found (so far) that discusses vegan food in Disney World, thanks!

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous trip. . . your sandwich did sound great, as did the cookie (though of course Celine's would be better!). Must take a look at their website!

Bianca said...

You are the WAFFLE QUEEN! And that bread bowl soup stuff looks to die for. I swoon at the sight of bread bowls!

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

Looks like I'm in need of a trip to Karma Coffeehouse! I'm so glad you found and enjoyed that delicious vegan gumbo at Disneyland. It's something I look forward to as a highlight of my trip there on the rare occasion that I go! :) I'm sorry you had to experience the joys of L.A. traffic, but now you have a taste of my daily life; I'm in the car over 2 hours a day for my commute.

Trying To Heal said...

omg...i'm so disappointed i didn't hear of this karma place before i moved from orange county (Anaheim actually; you were literally in my backyard!) to san diego...but san diego does have quite a few very good vegan options around..oh! and i'm happy to hear you liked native foods! their meals are sooooooo good!

glad you enjoyed California...though the traffic you hit from LA to Anaheim is a daily typical occurrence...that what sucks about the place!

and your waffles look delicious!

Amy said...

Mmmmm that sandwich looks incredibly delicious (I'm just fine with rich sandwiches too ;)).

The cookie looks pretty good too.

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Ohmigosh, your family members must've been kicking themselves for not ordering the same sandwich as you! Gosh, I wanna go to California sooooo badly! (I shouldn't complain... I'm going to Europe in two days. But to me, California sounds like vegan heaven.)

ChickPea said...

I love your recap posts, documenting the eats from all your travels. Looks like you managed to eat pretty well this trip. That sandwich looks and sounds amazing.
I've found the same thing with a lot of my baked goods and even my smoothies--you can't really taste the PB unless it's on top! Bummer.

herbivore said...

Wow that sandwich looks great. I totally just made those spelt pb cookies. :) So good. I changed it up a bit though.

And my friend just got back from disney land and had that same gumbo.

Anonymous said...

I love how you write with such an enthusiasm for vegan food! The sandwich, the soup, the waffles...

Anonymous said...

Welcome back home! Those waffles look like they would sure be a wonderful first meal back.

Audrey said...

Gush...that's why I want to take some vacations in America !

nora said...

haha okay i'm writing two comments--one to respond to yours on my blog, and one to respond to your post!

yeah, i had a lot of fun decorating the smlove pie! (although even better was bringing it to the house of my omni guy friends and telling them it was made of tofu after they said they liked it..) i don't know much latte art, but i do have the choc. syrup/foam pattern down, lol..i just can't do the kind of latte art you do by pouring..i didn't work at le pain long enough to get that down sadly :( can you?

and dreena does make the best desserts, her homestyle choc chip cookies (with spelt flour--b/c you're right, it makes the best cookies) are a never fail crowd pleaser for veggies and omnis alike..and ive made the banana split brownies from VWAV and i'll just say, GET ON THAT!!

it really sucks you didn't get to go to green..maybe next time you come to az (if there will be a next time..i forget if you were there to visit family or what) we could meet up there or something if im in town, i don't have many vegan buddies.. :(

lol and finally, the somewhat pathetic confession..i was reading les mis for "fun" it wasn't an assignment, just something i decided to do because i love the musical and love reading...so i really have no right to complain about it, but i do anyways..haha. overall, i loved it..it was just so hard to find time during the school yr with rding for classes being so overwhelming anyways. but, i finished! so there's a load off my shoulders (or out of my purse more like--i was carrying that thing around with me eveywhere)

nora said...

karma looks amazing! we have a panini press at my house, so i always use it to make grillled banana/pb/cinnamon sandwiches, but that looks like nothing compared to your monkey munch! lol but the funny thing is that i'm guessing the girl on the hills doesn't go there for animal rights reasons, but more just to eat healthy so she can look like a hollywood twig..lol i'm kind of joking, i don't watch the hills because it seems ridiculously brain-numbing, maybe it's just me..haha

your disneyland food looks pretty good..i'm going with my sis in the winter, so it's nice to know about that gumbo! and jamba juice is always a nice back-up..i work at a smoothie place called juice it up, and it's always bothered me that the soy sensation drink has honey in it (the only drink there that does)..is it just me or is everyone (or every vegan)'s reaction to that, like "WHAT?!"

Animal-Friendly said...

The Monkey Munch sandwich from Karma Coffehouse is making my mouth water- that's definitely my kind of sandwich! I'm kicking myself that the only time I've been to California was before I became a vegan!

Too bad that Disneyland wasn't as vegan-friendly as Disney World, but Jamba Juice is always a great place to have as backup.

Vegan_Noodle said...

Looks like you had a good time in California! That sandwich does look absolutely delicious!

Is it nice to be back in TX? Did you miss the heat? :-)

Little Miss Sunshine said...

Hello GORGEOUS!! I'm procrastinating AGAIN ... ;0)

Oh my deliciousness!! That monkey munch sandwich looks and sounds SO GOOD!!! *Drool* I'm patting myself on the back now coz all I'm having for lunch is my boring ol' hummus sandwich :0(

Oooo .. that cookie looks DIVINE!!! Oh yes, glad to know that Celine's cookie is better - I can make them myself *YAY!!!*

Aww, sorry that Disneyland isn't as accommodating as Disney World - which theme park is bigger though?!!

Oh man, maybe you should start your own waffle business :0) Your waffles always make me drool ... :0)

Anonymous said...

I love your vacation-vegan updates! I thought of you last night when they said on the news there was a bit of a quake in LA...are you causing trouble!? :)

Alicia said...

I want that huge cookie. Very badly :-)

Anonymous said...

Between that sandwich, cookie, and waffle, I'm drooling here!

Unknown said...

wow...at every picture i said out loud YUMMM haha they all look so good! that cookie..oh my..i lovvve vegan desserts! :)
oh and i don't watch the hills either..thats neat your whole family does though! haha..
but i will admit to really liking the elle woods show..it was fun to watch!

aTxVegn said...

The Monkey Munch Sandwich looks incredible! What a great find.

Celine's cookies beat anyone else's.

¡Yo Soy Liz! said...

I can't believe I didn't know about that awesome looking coffee house before now! I used to work on a show that shot two blocks away from there and I could have been getting delicious vegan treats every day instead of having lame-o spaghetti from craft services. Oh well, I know now. Love the blog!!!

Anonymous said...

seriously, thanks for this. i work right near karma and i had no idea they had a vegan menu. i will definitely be checking it out. glad you got some good vegan food in LA. come back again soon. :)

Kristen's Raw said...

Your "rich" sandwich looks right up my alley!!! Yummers!!!

Thanks for posting so much about your past Disney World trip, I will be visiting your blog before my (maybe Fall time) trip to Florida.

I'll need your vegan recommendations :)

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

haha it's so funny reading about your experience with the espresso. I'm the exact same way. I mean there's a certain way that coffee/espresso is to be made. Sadly not many people realize it.

Your food looks great as always and so do your photos. I would love to eat that waffle. ;-)

Oh, in regards to the banana nut bread on my blog. I actually cut it up for ease of eating (I was co-hosting an event). It's actually really nice because it's just one loaf, yet it looks sOo much more.

tofufreak said...

ooooooooooh!!!!! yum!! lucky!

Vaala ◪ said...

I have to say that sandwich looks incredible. I've never really thought about fruit in sandwiches other than banana so I really must try it.

I agree that nothing really beats a homemade breakfast...especially if it's waffles. We like to lather ours up with peanut butter (you have to add quite a bit to actually taste it in the mixture so I agree, just put it on top) and sliced chocolate!

Anonymous said...

No. way. I soooo want that sandwich. It looks completely delicious. And that bread bowl full of gumbo looks darn tasty too. Seems like a fun trip!

Sara said...

I'll teach you how to make focaccia if you'll teach me how you make your own seitan. By the way I was at whole foods tonight. I scouted out the Chicago Diner Cakes. Wow they look good. I think after a week of classes we're going to need some of that action! :)

taste memory said...

california does do it better ;-) that gumbo w. sourdo bread looks crazy fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Wow everything looks so yummy! I really enjoyed reading about everything...love how excited you are/were about all that great food!

Jess said...

a) That good looks divine.

b) Your dad watches "The Hills"??? I love him. Not because I watch it (I don't!), but because that is awesome & hilarious. :)

Jess said...

Food*, not good, looks divine. :)

Sarah said...

Thanks for the birthday wishes! It really was such a great day. If you do get down to Chicago for fall, the diner sounds like a bet. It is so good! There are still so many vegan restaurants I want to head to, but I keep just referring back to the diner.

Your sandwich looks amazing! Well everything looks so good. And it looks like your Disney adventure was fun!

Anonymous said...

After seeing your post early this week I absolutely had to go to Karma to try the Monkey Munch. My god is this delicious! And what a cute and cool coffeehouse too. They were out of the hazelnut-raisin bread so I had it on their whole wheat bread which was perfectly good. I really appreciate the tip (and will blog about this amazing sandwich soon)!

I also worship the vegan gumbo at Disneyland. There's actually a few more yummy vegan meals to be had at Disneyland... yet again, another pending blog post. Thank you again for introducing me to my new best friend, the Munch Munch :)

Lindsay I-F said...

that gumbo looks amazing

Anonymous said...

Wow, all that food looks amazing. Excellent pictures!

Sara said...

so things are heating up in St. Louis. I heard texas is having a heat wave. how are you guys holding up?

Sara said...

my class is over next thursday, the 14th! I cant wait, but I have a huge paper and a final to get through before then, so really I'm just trying to stay motivated. Can't wait to meet up once school starts.

Anonymous said...

wow - such delicious eats! that's funny that you are the only non-hills watcher (er non-watcher) in your house ;) haha... that monkey sandwich looks AMAZING!!!!!!! i want pb now :)

Erica said...

Your website is great. I am working towards becoming much less meat dependent. I love the various ideas for meals you show on your website- thank you :)

Lindsay (Happy Herbivore) said...

Every time I come on your blog I feel pressured to lick my screeen. WOW as always everthing you eat, share and make looks SO AWWESOME! & shame on you for sharing that microwave brownie recipe now my butt's gonna get big :P jk

beeps said...

thanks for stopping by my little humble blog. i love your foooodie pics! go vegan eats!!

Anonymous said...

Your pics are beautiful!