Monday, July 21, 2008

Native Foods

I think my cooking is going to be very, very different after dining at Native Foods in Costa Mesa, California. Native Foods is one of five locations of this all-vegan restaurant, and I have to say that I have never seen vegan food presented in a such a fun, playful way; all their dishes are so colorful and full of texture!

A week ago, I wasn't quite sure where I would be dining when my family arrived in California for our vacation, but I did know that vegan fare is plentiful in California and was not too worried about starving. One thing I love to do on the internet is read menus of vegan restaurants in faraway cities that I would love to visit, and the Native Foods menu is one I had looked at online many times prior to my visit. If you read VegNews Magazine, you have probably also seen Native Foods advertisements, with pictures of crazy-looking entrees with skewers poking every which way.



Upon arriving in the parking lot, I found this:



I was very happy. This, along with the built-up anticipation of finally being able to try another famous 100-percent-vegan restaurant, led me to literally run screaming to the door of Native Foods. I was so excited! But I had to stop for a few pictures, first.





Isn't it adorable? It looks like a little tin hut! The interior was just as impressive.



After a quick scan of the menu to refresh my memory, it didn't take long to decide what to order.



I have to be honest, I was really disappointed with some of my family members at this point of the trip. As much as I would love for everyone to be enthusiastic about vegan food and trying new things, my little sister is not adventurous in the least when it comes to these things. She's actually very close-minded, and the only vegan things she will try are my cookies and waffles. And she won't eat any of my baked goods if they have nuts or "warm" fruit (she only likes fruit cold). So basically, only chocolate and/or sugar are good with her. It's impossible to get her to touch a vegan entree, so needless to say, she sat at the table and ordered nothing. So frustrating! My mom disappointed me a little too; I know she is entitled to her tastes, and she can eat meat and cheese if she chooses... But she almost always likes everything she tries and always has a raging appetite, but she said she "wasn't hungry" when we got to the restaurant and would only order an appetizer for herself, which turned out to be "Save the Chicken" Wings: fake-meat chicken strips with ranch dressing.



She actually ended up liking them and said they really tasted like meat. So why eat meat when you have a cruelty-free substitute? That's my philosophy, and all the better if it tastes good. She gave me one and another half of her strips, and they tasted okay to me. They tasted like the kind of thing I would order from the kids' menu at TGI Fridays or something like that. They tasted meaty but not in a scary way, and they had kind of a dry-ish taste. They tasted like the kind of meat I didn't enjoy eating as a kid, but I think that is the kind of meat my mom does like the taste of. Anyway...



My dad ordered the Bongo Congo, a warm bowl of steamed vegetables, brown rice, banana yam garnish, a curried sauce, and grilled "Save the Chicken" spears. The presentation was absolutely gorgeous -- I love how they use the skewers. Eating an entree like this is so exciting; it's like an adventure! He really liked it, and I was happy that he got in a meal with whole grains, vegetables, and cruelty-free protein. Yesss!



I've had a reuben fetish lately, so ordering the Native Reuben was a no-brainer for me. Served with a side of light and refreshing Thai cole slaw, the reuben came with blackened tempeh, sauerkraut, Thousand island dressing, Native "cheese," lettuce, carrot, and red onions -- all served open-faced on an organic sprouted brown rice and wheat ciabatta.







The ciabatta bread was soft and delicious, and the sauerkraut added a ton of flavor to the sandwich. (But duh, I know, a reuben isn't a reuben without sauerkraut.) Truthfully, I completely forgot about the "cheese" while I was eating and I don't even remember tasting it. So score there -- at least it wasn't off-putting! I loved my sandwich and gobbled it up entirely too fast. I definitely could have gone for more veggies, but I chose something else to fill me up...






Native Foods' Peanut Butter Parfait is supposed to be legendary, so I didn't hesitate to order it for dessert. A creamy blend of peanut butter and Tofutti soy cream cheese, this dessert certainly hit the spot. It was completely satisfying and cool; it tasted kind of like peanut butter cheesecake in spoonable form, and the parfait was dotted with big chocolate chips and crumbled Boogie bars (keep reading to find out about those!). My mom and dad both enjoyed their tastes of my dessert, and I polished it off by myself, as my sister was completely uninterested in going near a tofu-laden dessert. Her loss. Vegans dine well at this place, my friends.



So this little visit wasn't quite enough for Ruby Red. I had to go back for a second round before my plane took off back to Texas yesterday! After keeping the paper menu in my purse for a couple days and reading it cover to cover, I entered the doors of Native Foods, ready for a Gandhi bowl.



Similar to the Bongo Congo entree my dad had ordered on our last visit, the Gandhi holds skewers of blackened tempeh supported by a slice of banana squash (which tasted just like a mango), nested with steamed broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, yams, kale, and crisp cabbage along with hot brown and jasmine rice. The whole thing was served topped with wild curry sauce and dried cranberries.


(Deskewered)

This meal was certainly a fiesta for the eyes, and it was a party in my mouth too, with all the interesting flavors and textures! It also kept me nice and full all day, because it was full of whole foods and yummy nutrients. I could eat this meal and many variations of it again and again, and this particular bowl of food is what makes me think that my cooking is going to go in a very different direction from here on out. My parents bought me a copy of the Native Foods restaurant cookbook, and I can't wait to recreate many dishes straight from their menu! I definitely need to buy some skewers to play with more creative presentations of tempeh, seitan, and tofu in the future.




I forgot to mention that Native Foods makes their own tempeh, with their own starter culture and everything! Homemade tempeh really makes a difference, and it wasn't bitter in the least. I feel a tempeh addiction coming on...



I saved my Boogie bar for a snack at the airport. It was seriously wonderful and reminded me of something I've had before, only it was a hundred times yummier than this mystery memory! The bar was moist and had the perfect amount of banana taste balanced with studs of chocolate chips: This wondrous Boogie bar contains slivered almonds, wheat flour, bananas, oats, coconut, chocolate chips, and vanilla, and better yet, I have the recipe for them in my newly acquired cookbook. And the best part is that they weren't sugar-crash inducing either. Yee-haw for Native Foods! I love that place.



I wanted to dedicate this entire post to my Native Foods adventures, but my other California adventures will be in my next post, so stay tuned!

49 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

I've only heard great things about Native Foods, so I'm glad that your experience was so positive - hang in there with your family!! They'll come around :0)

Haha, I love how they call the fake-chicken "Save the Chicken" :0D

That peanut butter parfait is perfection - oh man, I need some!! :0D

Anonymous said...

I'm lucky enough to live literally down the street from the Palm Springs Native Foods and eat there all the time. I haven't tried anything that you wrote about (except the wings, which I love and the peanut butter parfait which they don't serve at my store anymore!) but I highly recommend the Save the Chicken Salad and the Mecca Azteca Salad. Did you buy the cookbook? It's awesome!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like some good eats, too bad your sister and mom didn't agree. Their lost! Your dishes and desert look fabulous! Can't wait to see what you make out of the cookbook.

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

I'm very happy you got a chance to try Native Foods...twice! I have the cookbook, too, and it's a really wonderful one. I hope you enjoy it. I'm addicted to the reuben at Follow Your Heart, which is seitan based, but recently tried the Real Food Daily reuben (tempeh based) and didn't care for it. Those two reubens are like night and day, let me tell you. I can't wait to read about the rest of your adventures and I'm a little sad we didn't get a chance to meet!

Katy said...

There is nothing better than an all vegan restaurant! All of your food looks fabulous, especially the parfait!!!

Virginia said...

I wish I had a Native Foods! I live in South Carolina where we have NOTHING for vegans! =( Your meals looked delicious!

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love reading your posts! The bowls from Native Foods seem like the perfect meal. They would keep me full and happy too! I wish I could have been there to dine with you, that dessert...! I also would have gone back a second time. It is too bad your sister doesn't want to enjoy tasty vegan food... Maybe someday?!

Little Miss Sunshine said...

Before going onto the food ... You look GORGEOUS in the picture - as always!!! And I'm so sorry to hear that your sister is unwilling to try out vegan foods, lets just hope that one day ... she will discover vegan foods are tastier and better for her :0)

Now onto the FOOD! Hehehe, yes kids ... LISTEN to ruby red, 'EAT TOFU'!! I totally understand your anticipation to dine in a 100% vegan restaurant - I would seriously passed out if I was in your shoes ;0) I had a look at that menu, MY GOODNESS *swoon* EVERYTHING sound SO delicious!! In fact, I bookmarked it ... I love the toppings, I'll top my pizza with those topping next time :0)

The "Save the Chicken" Wings look a lot like the 'real deal' .. good that it doesn't taste like it 'in a scary way'!! Hahaha, I LOVE the names of the meals here!! The 'Bongo Combo' dish looks SPECTACULAR!! Yay, to cruelty free meal in a bowl!!

Ohhhh boy, your native reuben had me droooooooling madly - I never tried reuben sandwiches before, I wonder if the recipe in VwaV is any good ;0/

OOooh man!! Peanut butter parfait - ZOMG!!! Looks so YUMMY!! I would've licked the bowl clean if I was you!!

My oh my .. the Gandhi bowl looks so SPECTACULAR ... I LOVE the presentation ... very unique indeed!! That bowl would've kept me full for the entire day (well ... maybe not) haha!

Ahhh Boogie Bar ... what a cute name!! Sounds wacky to me ;0) With slivered almonds, wheat flour, bananas, oats, coconut, chocolate chips, and vanilla in them ... no WONDER they are delicious!!

Again, thanks for posting this! I IMMEDIATELY got onto the online bookstore to check how much the book cost :-D not that I NEED another cookbook ...

herbivore said...

Wow that place looks amazing! I love the skewers - it looks so dramatic!

Anonymous said...

Your food pictures look so nice!

I just wanted to let you know that I added you to my blogroll:) I just started my own blog and would love for you to check it out when you have a chance.

aTxVegn said...

Man, you're so lucky to eat at Native Foods twice! All those meals look outstanding.

Animal-Friendly said...

Wow! Native Foods looks like an great restaurant! Sorry to hear that your mother and sister were frustrating you on your trip :(

I also love to read menus of vegan-friendly restaurants in places I would like to visit so I remember them when my family plans a vacation! Haha- nice to know I'm not the only one!

All of the food looks amazing beyond words- my mouth is completely watering over the parfait and boogie bar.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that food looks AMAZING! if I ever see a Native Foods anywhere I am definitely stopping for a scrumtious meal:]

Anonymous said...

It all looks so yummy! Gotta love socal (used to live in laguna beach).

I am sure your sister will come around, mine certainly did and now loves most of it.

and a tempeh addiction is a good addiction to have...

Amy said...

Oh I am SO jealous (and drooling) right now! Peanut butter parfait sounds absolutely divine!

KP said...

Wow! That place looks great. I've never heard of it before? But I am in the middle of the midwest and there aren't many vegetarian restaurants.

The food looks amazing, especially the peanut butter parfait- yum!

Erin said...

Native Foods definitely deserves a dedicated post! I've never been there and certainly hope to one day. I love the quirky attitude they put out. The pb parfait sounds sooooo good!

Crystal said...

So jealous of your visit to Native Foods! It sounds so good.

I totally relate with you on the fam thing. My sister is the same way...swears she'll never eat anything vegetarian (I chose to not mention to her that cheese pizza is vegetarian, but oh well).

Glad you had a good time regardless!!

fruity said...

Native Foods looks fantastic!!

And don't worry, I had a similar family experience when I took them to a raw vegan restaurant; they barely ate their food!(it meant more for my boyfriend and I, but still...)

Congrats with your summer class!!

Bianca said...

You're so adorable with the studying the menu thing! I would totally do that too. I've been known to read and re-read to-go menus from vegan restaurants in other cities. My boyfriend thinks it makes me food-obsessed, and if that's the case, oh well.

I've seen the Native Foods ads in Veg News and the presentation always looks awesome. Glad the taste held true!

LK Sisters said...

Only been to one vegetarian/vegan restaurant (Spiral Diner) but so eager to try other vegetarian/vegan restaurants! Native Foods looks so tempting!

Katie said...

That sounds like vegan HEAVEN! Thanks for the pictures - I'll have to check it out if I'm ever in CA.

russ said...

wow this place looks like a paradise! How exciting does that food look!! I'm so used to having only half an option on the menu, that I think I would spend all day choosing something from there, although the Soba Dan Dan certainly looks like the kind of thing I could sink my teeth into.

Thanks for the inspiration for my tempeh!! - my lonely block of tempeh has now been successfully turned into tonight's dinner, and it was very tasty indeed! It was pretty hazy in the kitchen afterwards, and my hair smells a bit like I've been working in a chippy, but it was totally worth it =)

One of my sisters is the same too, and she's a vegan!! But the list of things she doesn't like, for no good reason, is so long that its surprising she ever eats anything. Seriously, I think she has some kind of prejudice against flavour. Argh!

Vaala ◪ said...

Wow, that place looks amazing! I've never seen such beautifully presented food...ever. Man, must plan a visit to my American brother in California just for the food!

Emma said...

Sorry that your family were not as enthusastic about the food- I certainly would have been, the menu looks absolutely delicious!

The food was presented in such an innovative way too- I can see why you went back for a second visit!

I can't wait to see some of the recipes from the cookbook on your blog!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Why oh why did you not bring me with you?!

Alternatively, why didn't you bring me back a Peanut Butter Parfait? I MUST go to California now!

Anonymous said...

I have never been anywhere like that before! Everything looks so amazing and just so too good to be true! I can't wait to hear about how you like the cookbook, it might be as close to Native Foods as I can get!

I'm so sorry about your family being wonky at the restaurant. I actually here in the states vising my mostly omni-family, and sometimes it's really frustrating!

Anonymous said...

Wow, it all looks amazing! I guess I'll have to think up an excuse to travel back to the west coast now...

Anonymous said...

Those meals look INCREDIBLE!! I just looove when food is presented so beautifully...it makes the meal even more special! Okay, that peanut butter parfait is making my mouth water...heaven in a cup! Haha, the "Eat Tofu" sign is so cute!! I'm glad you had a great time...I can't wait for your next post!! :0)

Sarah said...

What a cute restaurant. All the food looks amazing. And I bet after seeing all the food on the table, your sister really wanted to try the food, but was too stubborn. I know Im sometimes like that with food I thought I didnt like. Next time Im out in the Desert Ill have to check this place out.

Webly said...

that food looks huge!

Anonymous said...

those meals look absolutely wonderful. too bad the rest of your family wasn't digging it- I would love to have a restaurant like that near me! looks like you had a great trip. BTW, i nominated you for an award. you can check it out on my blog...

Anonymous said...

That restaurant sounds so awesome! The interior is completely adorable and the meals all look scrumptious. It sucks when family members don't get nearly as excited about certain foods though eh? They can completely kill the happiness of a moment such as that. I am way more enthusiastic about food than the rest of my fam. Such a bummer sometimes. At least you were still able to enjoy it though!

Peggy said...

Oh yummm, that all looks sooo good! It's just past midnight, but I can feel myself getting a little hungry just looking at all that wonderful vegan food :D

That's too bad about your mom & sister, I'm sure they'll come around soon!

tofufreak said...

YOU ARE SO LUCKY!!! all of that food looks so good!

peanut butter parfait... i want one soo bad now!

haha i always look up restaurant menus in other states. a lot of times, i'll look up restaurants that are in states that i know that i'll never go to anyways haha.

too bad your sister won't eat any of that delicious vegan food! did she say anything when it came out?

Anonymous said...

Hi! I just wanted to let you know that I really like your blog and the amount of photos is awesome. I was lucky enough to get nominated for the Brillante Weblog Award and so I am bestowing the same nomination upon you!! Check out my blog for details!!! Visit at http://veganverve.wordpress.com

Kristen's Raw said...

I love that restaurant. I was fortunate enough to dine there a couple years ago... soooooo yummy! I wish we had one here.

I'm excited because, today, I'm trying a new restaurant near me that is almost 100% vegan. There are so many dishes from which to choose, they all sound awesome. So, while I don't have Native Foods, I do have Fresh Mint :) (Now, if I could only have something close to me that is organic and vegan!)... someday :)

Anonymous said...

Everything looks fantastical!

J said...

Now I want to travel to CA so I can eat there too! It looked awesome! Your sister was missing out.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe I moved to Cali and have never even been to a bona fide vegan restaurant. for shame, Celine, for shame.
your pictures are drool-worthy to the max, and I love the "eat tofu" bit in the parking lot.

Anonymous said...

Holy moly, that looks like a huge plate of food!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Yes, definitely try pine nuts. I wish I could send you some, since I got a big ole bag on sale and they're usually so gosh-darn expensive.

How about a trade-- I'll give you some pine nuts and you send me a peanut butter parfait!

klippy05 said...

Wow! That sounds amazing! I have been saving up money to go to CA!! I can't wait! So is that cookbook worth it?? I've been thinking about ordering it online.

Anonymous said...

The Brilliant Weblog Award is yours! From me to you. :) Check out my blog for details.

Danielle said...

Okay. I'm booking my flight right now... meet you @ Native Foods for lunch tm?!

Everything looks absolutely incredible in every way, you lucky girl!

Lisa (Show Me Vegan) said...

Thanks for sharing your trip to Native Foods! Your food photos look delicious. I recently bought the cookbook, and the recipes are straightforward and fun!

Kenike said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

i love their chicken run ranch sandwich which is made from their "save-the-chicken". i also had the parfait... delish! i was just at that very native foods a couple weeks ago on vacation. i went three times because i love their food so much. i bought the cookbook a year ago, but have yet to make anything from it.

soon though!

and i totally took a photo of that same parking space. that's so funny!

VeganCowGirl said...

Everything looks so brilliant!