Thursday, August 7, 2008

Yeah, it's my first time

I've been waiting to post until I had a few of those "lightbulb" food finds -- you know, when something's really yummy and it gets you all fired up to post. Thankfully I finally had a few of those moments this week!



Just this morning, I tried a new waffle recipe. Normally I never make a basic waffle recipe -- just because I never had one -- but I remember a really old post here and got to work on making some nice basic vegan waffles. I topped the waffles with peanut butter, raspberry preserves, and ground flaxseed, and had them with a glass of Silk Unsweetened Soymilk (it's my favorite!). The recipe turned out pretty well. I cut Veggie's recipe in 1/4's to serve one, which was a little too much batter for my waffle iron. It actually started oozing out the sides of the iron. (The oozy stuff tasted yummy, by the way.)

But lately my waffle iron just hasn't been the same. I own a restaurant-style Waring Pro Belgian Waffle Iron, but I was reading reviews about it on Amazon.com and it seems like it typically has a relatively short life. I make waffles a lot and hope to get a lot more waffles out of it, especially since I got it just this Christmas as a gift! Hopefully my baby decides to stop acting up so I don't have to become waffle-deprived. Because then I will cry and cry. Oh, and I decreased the baking powder by one-half in the recipe.

I've also been absolutely, positively obsessed with Tamari-Roasted Chickpeas from Eat, Drink & Be Vegan. They are so amazing! I purposefully didn't buy tofu this week, thereby forcing myself to eat more beans and lentils, and this chickpea recipe has been keeping me really happy.



The other day I had said chickpeas over the Sesame-Lime Soba Noodles (from the same cookbook) with steamed zucchini (which is sooo good steamed, by the way). Yum. I decreased the sweetener in the sauce -- it really doesn't need that much agave to be yummy!

I also made wheatberries for the first time! I soaked them overnight in a 1:3 ratio (wheatberries:water), brought them to a boil this morning, and simmered them uncovered for about 50 minutes. They are so yummy and spring and chewy! I love 'em. I love how they smell, too. I had the last of my tamari-roasted chickpeas over a bed of wheatberries for lunch, surrounded by some steamed swiss chard seasoned with salt and pepper, mixed up with some Annie's Goddess Dressing (another one of my newer obsessions).



By the way, these chickpeas are all fresh! I finally cooked up some dried chickpeas instead of buying canned. The price and taste cannot be beat. Fresh cooked chickpeas are the best, and I stored a few servings in the freezer until I was ready to use them.



I fear my newest obsession is the infamous Microwave Brownies from VegWeb. They got a lot of bad reviews, but a lot of good reviews, too. I spent a lot of time going through what people wrote about them so that I would be prepared and they would come out yummy. I made 1/4 of the recipe tonight and changed it up a little. Here's what I did:

Microwave Brownies



3-1/2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
1/2 tablespoon raspberry preserves
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 tablespoon unsweetened soymilk (Edit: use 3 tablespoons!)
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
3 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour
2 tablespoons dutched cocoa powder
3 tablespoons sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt

squirt Ah-laska chocolate syrup (about a teaspoon)

I mixed together the wet ingredients in a bowl (not including chocolate syrup) and sifted in the dry ingredients. After mixing them well, I sprayed a small microwave-safe dish with canola oil spray and I transferred the batter into the greased dish.

I heated the batter in the microwave on high for 4 minutes and 30 seconds and then added the squirt of chocolate syrup to the top of the brownie. Then I heated the brownie for 15 more seconds. My mom and I split this.

It was great, even without chocolate chips; the heated chocolate syrup on top was absolutely perfect in terms of taste and temperature. Next time I will add 1 to 2 tablespoons soymilk to the liquid ingredients and I will try microwaving for only 3 to 3 minutes and 30 seconds initially. The brownie tasted great but it was too dry. It would definitely benefit from a little more gooiness, which can be attained with a more liquid-y batter and less heating. I was pleased that the finished brownie was very easy to remove from the baking dish. (Edit: I made these again and 3 minutes worked well in my super-powerful microwave, so the brownie was just fudgy enough instead of dry! Just experiment, but start with less time because you can't undo it once you've gone too far.)

Yay for silly baking experiments! I want to try again tomorrow, so hopefully I can find someone to split the brownie with me. I can see myself quickly becoming obsessed with this recipe... Even if they aren't the best, most gourmet-fabulous brownies ever, this is probably going to be one of my guilty pleasures and something I'll have fun making for friends in my apartment next year. Yay.



Oh, and these are pretty yummy, too! But they only give you three in a box! What's up with that?! I'm used to even-numbered items in boxes. Three is kinda random. And a final discovery: click here for your ticket to heaven. I won't even describe it, just go to your nearest Whole Foods or wherever and get one. Mmmm. Seriously good.
 

51 comments:

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

yay for fractioning recipes! and microwave cooking, too, I always find it weird that it works sometimes, but it does. sometimes. :p that brownie looks really good, actually.

And I adore wheatberries, too! nothing like them in the chewy department at all.

And oh no, oh NO your waffle maker can't die, that's not allowed! ;____;

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Sorry about your waffle-maker - at least the bean waffles still turned out fabulously!!

Oooh, those chickpea dishes and the brownie look amazing as well! Yum!!

Anonymous said...

quit tempting me, ya hear? :)

Anonymous said...

mmm it all looks and sounds so delicious!!

Audrey said...

oh my gush
waffle and chocolate cake looks insanely delicious
and the others meal looks really good
Nice pictures !
(I hope you get a new waffle-maker soon)

Anonymous said...

I hope your waffle maker is okay!! I don't know WHAT we'd all do without your famous waffle posts!!
~Erin

VeganView said...

Thank you so much for reading my blog! I love yours!! The pictures look fantastic and you've definitely inspired me to make waffles! :)

Anonymous said...

wow! everything looks delicious! I need to get my hands on some chickpeas (I'm all out) to try those tamari chickpeas! I've been looking for wheatberries as well, but my Whole Foods didn't have them the last two times I was there :(
Ahh, and the microwave brownies...I've been eyeing up that recipe as well :)

Anonymous said...

I want to try that microwave brownie recipe. And gorgeous photos of the food!!

Katy said...

Mmmmm, I loooove the tamari roasted chickpeas too! I just made up a batch yesterday for lunch. I've never used dried chickpeas though. I still need to try that!

Unknown said...

hmm microwave brownies..seems so simple! i should try them outtt...
and i've yet to find those ice cream bars..they look awesome but I can't find there anywhere near me! :(

Anonymous said...

the soba noodles and chickpeas both look excellent! I still need to try wheatberries too!

and the price of dried beans to canned really is insane! and they are so easy to make! I just recently soaked beans for the first time, and I love how I can control the sodium too!

tofufreak said...

i'm always worried about microwave cooking. sounds like you got it down though! the brownie looks uber fudgy and yummy!

i don't know whats up with the 3 in a box phenomenon either! i mean seriously. i recently found some vegan peaches and (soy) creamsicles at trader joe's (80 cals!!!) and there were also 3 in a box!

yay for fresh chickpeas! they are so good! i definitely need to refrain from buying tofu also because i have so many different dried beans that i bought on impulse that i am now stuck with. thanks for the inspiration! ;)

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

Mmm, I love mint chocolate chip things! I hope your waffle maker starts behaving properly again soon!

Anonymous said...

You've got so much good stuff going on here! Microwave baking, although limited, is pretty damn cool. Hooray for instant gratification!

Sara said...

Your waffle looks delicious. I've never tried on with raspberry preserves, but I love then, so I think I'll have to give that a go.
Hope your waffle iron pulls through, but if not, I've got a really amazing belgium waffle iron from William Sonoma. My parents gave it to me for my birthday one year i think...yeah I know I'm a cooking nerd. Anyway, this just means we're going to have to have a late night waffle party. Perhaps during finals? :0)

Bianca said...

Your waffles are always so beautiful. Now I know why! You have a bad-ass waffle maker. I like the idea of sprinkling flax seed on the top too!

And thanks for the coupon link. I went there and signed up for free ice cream coupons.

Amy said...

Oooo I love the look of your waffle! I hope your waffle maker starts behaving again! You can't get Belgian waffle makers over here so I have one that makes the thinnest unappetising waffles ever *cries*

And I adore the idea of microwave brownies. What's not to love? It's a brownie in mere minutes!

Animal-Friendly said...

I hope your waffle iron starts working better again! Your waffles always looks so delicious and it would be a shame to have to go without them :(

I've also been obsessed with the tamari-roasted chickpeas from ED&BV (I actually just had some tonight with dinner!), but I can only imagine how awesome they would be with fresh chickpeas! Man, if only I could find some around here!

ChickPea said...

Your waffles always make me drool. To be honest, I don't think I have ever made a homemade waffle--I always seem to make pancakes. We have a really cheap waffle maker, so maybe I should invest in a good one...
Like you, I have found that a lot of the recipes from ED&BV are a little too sweet (esp for the Sesame Tofu).
So many delicious desserts you have been enjoying! I will have to try that microwave experiment for sure.

Sara said...

yes I've been to the new whole foods...and it's amazing. Though they don't have as many vegan baked goods as the brentwood location...and they never have the vegan curry chickenless salad...but other than that its great!
I'm getting pretty darn excited about our meet up too! should we set a date? do you maybe just want to email me when you get in town?

Anonymous said...

im definitely going to try your microwave brownie recipe... i need to get cocoa powder then im all set... it has my mouth watering already!

The Cooking Lady said...

My daughter would be so jealous. She is looking for a waffle recipe. What she seems to forget, is that you need a waffle iron to make them. That is on our wish list. (It is only for kitchen gadgets)

And oh that chick pea recipe. I can eat themuppies right out of the can.

tofufreak said...

rubyred, thanks for stopping by my blog! I'll be posting the pineapple teriyaki marinated tofu when i get back.

Tara B. said...

The chickpeas over the noodles look SO yummy! I am off to see if my library has that book right now!
Tara B

VeganCowGirl said...

Ruby - I haven't had wheatberries in so long...they are excellent little nuggets of goodness aren't they? The dish looks great.

I am also inspired by your vegan waffles. Despite living in the home of the waffle, I have never given it a try since I moved to Brussels. Maybe I will hit the shops and get myself a waffle maker and give some of the recipes in Vcon a try.

The Cooking Lady said...

I love chickpeas in any way shape or form, and I cook them many different ways, but they are usually for recipes that they do not need to be firm for, so tell me, how do you get yours cooked AND keep them firm?

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

OMG, I can't believe I haven't tried any of these new food finds yet! I wouldn't know where to start!

Sarah said...

mmhmm chickpeas, I havent yet tried those, but I remember seeing Dreena talk about them a ton on her own blog. They must be damn good.

And yay apartment living, wont it be amazing to actually be able to cook instead of going crazy hungry from horrible cafeteria food.

Vegan_Noodle said...

I too hope your waffle iron lasts for many years so you can keep showing us your yummy breakfasts!

Those chickpeas are ones of my favorites as well. And you've just reminded me to soak up some chickpeas tonight to have for the week.

Everything looks delicious!

Steffi said...

the soba looks awesome! I've been thinking about making the microwave brownies a couple of times, but was kinda scared... now I guess I'll try it, thanks!

Jess said...

So Delicious has some amazing new products out there! I just tried their coconut milk yogurt last week and OH, MY! INCREDIBLY yum.

Those waffles look divine. I actually just made totally plain waffles for the first time last weekend, but they were supposed to be pumpkin until I realized my can opener had gone missing in the course of moving! :) So plain it was.

And would you believe I have never made dried beans??? It's insanity & I don't know what my problem is. I really need to do that--especially with chickpeas so I can make super fresh hummus!

LK Sisters said...

Roasted chickpeas are so good - it's easy to eat alot of them! And your dish with the wheatberries looks tasty!

Anonymous said...

Microwaveable brownies sound just about right for me :o)

Sorry to hear about your waffle maker, but that picture is absolutely gorgeous!

Wheatberries are definitely a favorite of mine. In fact, I'm planning to soak some tonight!

Skippy said...

I love waffles, almost as much as I like pancakes(blueberry, starwberry, chocalte chip). But waffles are just so much cooler. And the one you made looked very very yummy.

KP said...

ooh that waffle looks delicious. My waffles never come out looking so perfect!

Lisa (Show Me Vegan) said...

I'm getting hungry again just looking at all your great photos! Especially the chickpeas and soba noodles, wow!

Anonymous said...

Wow the chickpea dishes look aMAZing, especially the first one(the photos are so nice too)! I will definitely have to make those soon...

...barbara... said...

awesome....
i have been ovenless for sometime....
being able to bake again (even if it is in a microwave fashion) is beautiful....
can't wait to try it....

Anonymous said...

Oh no, I hope your wafflemaker is okay! I've had my fair share of frustration with them as well.. I went through 3 in a matter of about a month!

And I must try those microwavable brownies, they sound delicious!

LK Sisters said...

Thank you for your very kind words - it means alot. We appreciate all of our "blogging" friends. May God bless you, Lisa and Krista

HangryPants said...

Hi! Thanks for checking out my blog and leaving a sweet comment. I hope you come back. :)

Both of those chick pea recipes looks ridiculously good! I'll definitely be back to see more good things like that.

Heather

Kristin said...

Oh my gosh... microwave brownies??? These are going on my recipe list ASAP!

Alicia said...

are you telling me I can make brownies in the microwave? you're eeevil :-)

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Note to self: Do NOT visit Ruby Red's site when you are hungry.

I just recently discovered the joys of soba noodles and have been looking for a good sauce. I'll have to give the sesame lime one a try.

Oooo and I REALLY need to stop being lazy and try some homemade waffles. But the packaged ones are so easy! I just discovered FIG waffles today by Nature's Path, and they're so yummy (although they probably don't compare at all to homemade).

Erin said...

Nice waffle! And those chickpeas look like they'd be good on anything.

Anonymous said...

I'm hoping for a waffle maker for the holidays, too... here's hoping! I love that you cooked your own chickpeas- I almost never do canned- you can really taste the difference!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Actually, the fig waffles I bought are Nature's Path... I've never seen the Lifestream ones. But I had one today as a snack, topped with soy vanilla ice cream and raspberries. Oh my gosh, so good!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

I am definitely going to try your espresso-in-protein-shake idea. Chocolate-coffee is a great combination, so why not?

Katie said...

Great post & photos, too. I have seen the microwave brownies a few times and I've always been amazed at the whole idea. Your version looks really tasty - I'll have to give it a try.

A.M. said...

Hmm. I have some unsweetened appleasauce I need to use... I like that your recipe makes such a small amount.

Your waffles look delicious as ever. And you really make me want to fix me some tamari-roasted chickpeas. I love those!