Bake a heck of a lot of food at once, freeze it, and reheat each morning, of course!
Here's what I've been having for breakfast:
Carrot ginger almond muffins

Double carob brownie waffles

Low-er fat banana bread muffins from Veganomicon

Muesli with cherries, dried figs, almonds, soymilk, oats, banana slices, and cinnamon

Breakfast blondies with almonds and carob chips, adapted and super-healthified/breakfast-ized from the dessert blondies in Eat, Drink & Be Vegan


I've been in the mood for fruit all summer long, so I've been having smaller portions of the grain-items each morning to make room for awesome soymilk + banana + frozen fruit smoothies! My favorite right now is soymilk, banana, and frozen peaches, with and without almond or peanut butter. And the funny thing is that it's normally around 5:50 am when I'm eating breakfast, so there is zero light outside. I had to pose all these pictures in the daylight, on weekends, from my freezer stock of goodies.
There are actually really good frozen meals that have made my life much easier these past few weeks. Here are two I have had and would recommend:


Here's one lunch I packed for my (9+ hour) lab days:

That goo is Dreena's Creamy Cashew (er.... almond) Dip from Eat, Drink & Be Vegan. It's so good -- I highly suggest you try it! I spread it on my Wasa crackers. Yum!
But one of the best things I've made recently was some crispy five-spice tofu with bulgur, lime, broccoli, and the best Thai Almond sauce ever! This meal was so divine and is going on my standby rotation.


I've been sneaking peeks at your blogs during my breaks from studying -- I'll be back to commenting soon!
45 comments:
good luck studying :)
Fun post, too.
Cheers,
Kristen
Ruby Red, you are just too cute!!! I love your blog-- the food photos, the commentary, all of it! Good luck with your last few days of class.
(P.S. Your breakfasts might not be Ruby Red-esque, but they still look fabulous to me! My offer still stands for you to come be my personal breakfast chef ;o).
Hey, It's like you read my mind!
I just started school to and need alot of portable fod options.
Thanks for the ideas!
Damn girl, your meals look great!! Glad to see that you're still eating well, despite school stress - hang in there with the remainder of your term!!
yummy eats! you are such a good example of how to eat healthy when still on the run - these snacks/meals are so yummy-looking!
oh how i have missed your posts! you make breakfast look so simple and yummy! the thai almond sauce, do you have a recipe for that? i am tempted!
Good idea turning the lower fat banana bread into muffins! I'll have to try that.
And you just HAVE to share the recipes for the breakfast blondies (mmmmmm blondies for breakfast) and the double carob waffles. YUM!
Good luck with the last of your exams!
Even as busy as you are, you still have the yummiest breakfasts!
Good luck on your finals!
I would totally eat everything on this page!!
Doesn't freezing baked goods make breakfast so easy? I do it all the time.
It's great to hear from you!
Good luck with finishing your class! Must've been tough to get up that early, but I see you've started each day with great fuel =)
Holy wow, your breakfasts still blow me away! I'd happily eat a sample of each dish. Or two or three samples ;)
Do you have a recipe for the Carrot Ginger Almond Muffin or is it from some cookbook?
And man, every time I see your waffles I come closer to convince myself that a belgian waffle maker is something I desperately need. I think I know what will be on my christmas list this year =p
I've been wanting to make that banana bread and had been thinking about making muffins because nobody around me likes banana bread (are they crazy?) and muffins are easy to freeze. And since you froze them, may I ask if you defrost them in the fridge the night before or out them into the oven straight from the freezer? And how long do you leave them in the oven, on how many degrees? Questions over questions, ha ha sorry! I've just never defrosted muffins before =p
Good luck with your last few days of class. Your food looks delicious!
And, when your done, can you please share how you healthified/breakfast-ized Dreena's blondies?
So glad you're back!
Only three more days of class- hang in there!
Freezing breakfast foods is one of the only things that keeps me going during the school year, and all of your breakfasts look great! Blondies in the morning? Sounds AWESOME!
Good luck with all your exams! And hope you have a happy 4th of July, too. . .
PS Is that really all you eat for a 9-hour day??? I'd be fainting. . .
girl, you just made *muesli* look sexy! you are probably officially goddess of breakfast by now.
also, you are doing horrible things to my fasting mind, ooohhh! :P
Continued foresight and dedication in the face of 5:30am wake-up calls? Now that's impressive ;) Good luck with your upcoming exams!
There's nothing better for a hard day than a great breakfast :-). What's the recipe for the tofu? because it looks amazing!
I am so happy to hear that your class is almost done! Hang tough vegan sistah!
And when you're done and can breathe again, I second Alice's motion- give us that tofu recipe!! :)
Wow, your meals look so good, Ruby Red! Your pics look impeccable as well.. compliments your mouthwatering meals perfectly!
Good luck studying.. hang in there, you're almost there!
Evey
My son's schedule is as busy as yours and I just bought him those same two frozen meals. You are still the breakfast queen! Even though I never eat breakfast, I love your breakfast baked goods for dessert.
Oh my gosh, where do you get all of your breakfast recipes from - your head?! Man, you're soooo talented!! You should create a 'recipe' index on this blog ... that way, I can make all the yummy goodies that you made, so I don't feel deprived :0)
I want to have that double carob brownie waffles! Waffles must love you a lot coz your always come out soo perfect! (again, that might be because you have a pair of magic hands)
Hope you have a great day!
Yay for double carob brownie waffles! Sounds like the perfect way to start the day!
Hang in there, you're almost done! Besides, your rushed meals and snacks sound better than my typical (read: lazy) eats!
CCV is right. Those photos. Wow! Hope your classes go well. Your breakfasts are terrific.
Man, those carob waffles have me jonesing for waffle-ness!
And that tofu dish looks super-good too. How'd you get the tofu brown around the edges like that? Did you bake it in a marinade or buy it pre-baked?
Also love the Amy's No Cheese pizzas!
everything looks so wonderful! i love your to-go-go vegan yummies!
keep it up and all this studying will be over soon! hang in there! :D
Good luck finishing up your class! Hopefully it's easier with fuel like these breakfasts.
I would also be very interested in hearing more about these breakfast blondies, they look so good!
I love that pizza - fortunately, Trader Joe's has their own version which is way cheaper!
Those muffins look delicious! I haven't tried freezing anything I've baked yet, but that's a splendid idea for when my semester starts up again in the Fall!
I love your on the go breakfasts. Well, actually I love any breakfast since it's my favourite meal of the day but yours look exceptionally delicious! I must get back into that freezer routine again though. I keep kind of forgetting.
just so you know.. your "reheated" breakfasts are more elaborate then any morning meal that I whip up!!!!! they are beautiful!!
good luck with your classes!!!
Hey Miss Ruby Red,
Thank you so much for your kind comments on my blog. You truly are a sweetheart (but I already knew this).
banana bread muffins from Veganomicon are amazing. I just made a batch for breakfast this morning. By the way. I made them in the kitchen of my new apartment! I'm all moved in. I can't wait until we have our first cooking night...whatever will we make?
I've been reading your blog for a while, but this is my first time to comment! I love all of your breakfast ideas...freezing baked goods is PERFECT for rushed mornings! Your pictures make the food look even more amazing!! :0)
maybe we should make breakfast for dinner. Waffles, or pancakes or both, with toppings and fruit. Then again, I love Vegan cookies...so many options...I'll keep brainstorming!
Oh, you'll be here so soon...I'm so excited for you!! Honestly, I always take a Luna bar for breakfast and eat the gumbo in a bread bowl for lunch (even though I've had it a couple times and know it's vegan, I always ask again just in case anything has changed since last time), then I eat fresh fruit for dinner because the gumbo is so filling. I believe the fresh fruit store is over by Indiana Jones, but I'm not 100% sure. If you need recommendations for Orange County or L.A., let me know. I know many more vegan/vegetarian restaurants than I've actually blogged about and I'm happy to share! Have a very safe and fun trip! I'd love to meet you if you have unaccounted-for time.
yay! It was great to see another post! I love reading your site- the recipes look amazing!
Hey there, RR! If you give me your email address, I'll give you a definitive list of where you must eat in L.A.! :)
the waffles...omg, the waffles.
cookie cake is a go! I can't wait. We should buy lots of colored icing and decorate it too!
Ugh...organic chemistry...I've been there! Your breakfasts all look so amazing. I also love Amy's cheeseless pizza for dinner when I'm just way too busy to cook. Good luck with the class!
I'm gonna have to remember this post for my busy days (like all of them! haha!).....everything looks so good. What great ideas for food on the go.
hope classes go (went?) well!
Oh my god! You're studying to be an RD too?! This is a dream come true. You neeeeed to email me, I would LOVE to talk. I'm transferring to a college this fall that actually has the Dietetic program, but I've gotten just about half of my school work out of the way. We should support each other through the tough times! Oh yeah, I'm vegan of course. 21, from New York. :) uberkibbles@gmail.com
Annies pizza! =]
Post a Comment