Monday, February 4, 2008

Food That Changed My Mind

Guess who didn't have school on Friday?

That's right! Me! My university was shut down on Friday for a snow day, which meant I didn't have to work, either. So I had Friday and all weekend to relax. You'd think I would be very happy then, right? Well, for some reason I'm still feeling down, and I just can't shake it.



This guy helped. But only a little.

Now, a preface:

I have always hated cupcakes. As in, gross gross, ick ick. Sure, I've seen some pretty pictures of cupcakes on many blogs, but I never got around to trying a vegan cupcake or even making one myself. But after I had my first bite of this guy, my mind was forever changed. I realized, I don't hate cupcakes because they're gross. I hate cupcakes because I've never had a good one before! The cupcake pictured is none other than Isa Chandra Moskowitz's Fauxstess Cupcake, her classic take on the famous Hostess cupcake. I bought the cupcake from a vegetarian restaurant that's really far away from my school, and I don't go very often for that reason. It's quite the haul to get there. But the funny thing is that the restaurant passes off this cupcake as "their" specialty. Too bad I suspected it came from Vegan with a Vengeance as soon as I saw it, and I knew as soon as I tasted it. This is a kick-ass cupcake, and now I won't have to go back to the restaurant to get it because I already have the recipe! The batch had just come out of the oven and the ganache was still warm when they served it to me. Isa's recipe says to let the ganache set by cooling the cake in the refrigerator, but I'm not going to do that, ever, because it tasted so good warm. Sigh. I have a new favorite dessert. Le Fauxstess Cupcake... This tops cheesecake (yes, even dairy cheesecake).



I made Kristen's Heavenly Cookies yesterday! They're the first raw dessert I've ever made, and they are fabulous. No, heavenly. Her title is pretty accurate, I'd say. Sign up for her newsletter if you want the recipe - they're her little secret and are not posted on her blog. I made three cookies by quartering the recipe. What's also great about these cookies is that they made me like coconut! I hated it before, possibly because it was too sweet. Well, unsweetened coconut solves that problem!



When JD posted a recipe for Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Oatmeal, I knew it would only be a matter of time before I tried it. Today was that day. An aerial view:



I adjusted some of the quantities in the recipe and made it into a pudding, since that's my favorite way to have oatmeal these days. I also sprinkled some hemp granola on top, which I wish I hadn't done because it was distracting. But otherwise... Yum, I'm making this again! I might edit this post and include my recipe later.



I cannot thank Katie enough for inventing oatmeal pudding! Thank you, thank you, a million times thank you!

I was craving Indian food so that's what I had today.



I got this Aloo Gobi from a restaurant, as I've never before attempted to cook Indian food myself. "Aloo" means potatoes, and "gobi" means cauliflower. Logically, this was a cauliflower-potato dish seasoned with herbs and spices. I had to get some naan, too. I love that stuff.



So, all of the food I've shown you so far looked pretty decent, right? It doesn't look like I'm doing too shabby.

...Until you see this:



Of all the free time I had this week, this is all I came up with for dinner. Sooo pathetic. I'm ashamed. A can of Campbell's tomato soup made with unsweetened soymilk. I bought the baguette (at least it's a 100% whole grain one). But I'm poor right now - the only groceries I got were ingredients for baking cookies and muffins, which I paid for with the remainder of a Whole Foods gift card. I had two extremely expensive meals out this weekend (think $13 to $16 for one person!), so being extravagant pretty much exhasted my already-dwindling bank account. But, not even considering that...

I'm still feeling just crappy in general about myself... Food may nourish the soul, but only temporarily. Even the best cupcake in the world can't solve the deeper problems. So wish me luck. I'll need it to face a whole 'nother week of school.

34 comments:

Lizzy said...

That cupcake looks like a chocolatey anti-depressant. And I've got the recipe, too. Yay, will try those soon!
I recently just signed up for Kristen's newsletter and I wanted to try these cookies. But I'll replace the raisins with dried cranberries. I seem to be the only one around here who detests raisins =p

The Indian dish looks great, I'm a big cauliflower lover at the moment anyway ;)
And I have to watch my money, too. I would love to treat myself with good restaurant dinners a little more often.

Glad to see you enjoy the archive-browsing! The chocolate peanut butter sandwich cookies really were fantastic!
Good luck with all your schoolwork!!
You can do it, I'm sure =)

J said...

Hang in there Ruby Red! I know you can buckle down and accomplish what you want to this week - you are a very determined person!

I am intrigued by your oatmeal pudding. I eat oatmeal almost everyday, but never as a "pudding" so maybe I will give it a try!

Anonymous said...

Hurrah for a snow day! I could use one myself. Sounds like you got yourself busy cooking, hehe. =)

I've never been big on cupcakes either, they're too sweet and just don't appeal to me. But that Fauxstess one looks delicious! And I agree with Lizzy, chocolate is an anti-depressant for sure (or maybe just sugar).

*hugs* I hope you feel better soon.

Vegan_Noodle said...

SO glad that cupcake changed you mind! They truly are the best dessert out there (in my opinion).

So sorry you sound a bit down. I agree that the constant busy-ness of life can where you down. I often wonder where my weekends went, they are never enough time. I hope things get a little easier. I can only imagine how tough it must be sometimes to be a student in the dorms and a vegan. You are obviously a very strong, dedicated person.

J said...

Sometimes the crappy weather and mid-year (academic year that is) blues get to the best of us. I just remember feeling pretty down and drained at this point in the school year.

Those Fauxstess Cupcakes look yummy. Chocolate Covered Chocolate would always be a winner at my house.

Keep your head up. Things will get better. Sometimes we just get in a funk, and trust me, I know being a poor college student sucks, I've been there. But it does get better. :-)

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Dearest Ruby Red,
You are too wonderful, too smart, and too beautiful a person to deserve to EVER feel bad. I am so happy that I found your blog because it is one of my favorites, and you are definitely one of my favorite bloggers. I've probably already said this, but you really have a talent for writing (and it seems you are quite the chef as well!). I sometimes feel the same way about things in life; if you ever want to vent, I'm always here: veggieprincess@msn.com. Feel better, dear friend.

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Oh, and the pudding and the cupake look truly amazing! I bought carob powder yesterday to make your oatmeal pudding, but now I want to try the oatmeal cookie pudding too!

Unknown said...

Those raw heavenly cookies look very nice and similar to the ones we make. I hope things get better for you. Think positive and remember you have many friends out there. Also like the new blog colours.

russ said...

Wish I could mail you a hug! They work much better than cupcakes. But believe me - when spring finally gets here, and the warm evening sunshine filters through your window, you'll feel way better. You'll be able to sit in the sun with one of those enormous textbooks you've been putting off reading, a pot jasmine & ginseng tea on hand, and concentration will just start to flow.

(that's what I'm hoping for at least...)

As always your food looks wonderful, especially the curry (my favourite for sure!).

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

oh my gosh, I hope you feel better soon! I know exactly what you mean about feeling just not happy, though, especially at this time of year. I think it's lack of sun and lots of school, but it will get better!

I wish I could SEE all the wonderful things you posted about but my internet is being kerfuffly so I have to go by your delectable descriptions (and yes I will check back). I used to hate cupcakes, too! bad memories of bakesales and grainy icing, yuck ick! Actually I used to hate cake in general, that is until I started baking my own vegan cakes, and all of a sudden I understood the appeal. I haven't tried the fauxstess cupcakes, but I think I have to now, after that description... :o

aTxVegn said...

I've had oatmeal cake, cookies, bread, and muffins, but never pudding. I'm so excited to try it!

Ashasarala said...

Cupcakes are great, even if they can only offer temporary happiness. Stress is a big factor in feeling down, so try not to over-work yourself. I know college is crazy, but it can be done. :)

If there is any reason to be happy, it's for that Indian food! I've been craving it something fierce lately, especially the naan. Mmmm... I wish I had some Indian recipes on hand. Unless it's from a fellow blogger, I can never trust internet recipes. They always seem to fail me.

I hope you feel better, whatever the cause may be. Remember, spring is only a month away!

Ashasarala said...

PS- Can't believe I forgot to mention this because it's just so awesome- but I have a set of that same exact plate at home (the one the cupcake is on). :)

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Ruby Red, I know just how stressful school can get - hang in there girl, and maintain your sanity!! I'm here for you!! :0)

The heavenly cookies, cupcake (I never used to like 'em either; until I started baking 'em, haha), and pudding look phenomenal - keep baking!!

Jess said...

First of all, YUM to ALL of those pictures.

Second, that cupcake looks absolutely heavenly. I have had "VWAV" for a year-and-a-half now, and have yet to make those Fauxstess Cupcakes, even though I think about it every time I pick up the book... I am a bad vegan. I think I'm maybe just daunted by how labor-intensive the whole process seems? Your cakes definitely make it look worth it, though! You may have convinced me to finally make them...

Lastly, I have never understood recipes that suggest cooling warm, gooey ANYTHING before diving in & eating. No, thank you! Give it to me while it's hot & fresh!

Anardana said...

It all looks great!

Denise said...

You...hated...cupcakes? That's nonsense. I'm glad you changed your mind.

Hope you feel better.

Oh, I changed my web address for the last time, I swear. Now I'm at herbivoria.blogspot.com

Amy said...

Good luck for your next week at school. I hope you feel a little happier soon.

Mmmmm those cupcakes look incredible. I haven't made cupcakes in about 4 months and I haven't made the fauxstess one's at all yet (they always seemed like a lot of work) but oh my! They look so good I think I'll have to get over my fear of them and make some for myself (and errm, the kids of course~maybe).

Anonymous said...

Hope that you feel better- I know that all this delicious-looking food would certainly cheer me up!

Now I really want to make that oatmeal pudding, too...

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

I never liked cupcakes in my pre-vegan days either! They were overly-sweet and just tasted so artificial. Remember how when we were little, kids would bring in cupcakes for their birthdays? Well I would never eat them! I'm so glad I gave vegan cupcakes a chance, because like everything else vegan, they're 100 times better! (except for vegan cheese-- boo, but I'm sure they'll come up with a good-tasting vegan cheese soon!).

Leng said...

That chocolate cupcake on the very top looks so good. Like many people I love chocolate, but have to limit my intake, because I have no control once I get started on it LOL. plus my dentist wouldn't be very happy. haha.

The Indian Food looks really good too. I absolutely love Indian cuisine. It's so spicy and always flavorful. I actually went to my favorite Indian restaurant last night too!

Bonnie said...

I'm so sorry that you're feeling down! Like others said, sometimes the gloomy weather just gets to you and if you've got a lot of schoolwork causing stress, that doesn't quite help either. I really hope you'll feel better in the next days!
All the food pictures you posted here look delicious - I'm glad you've given cupcakes another chance and like them now. I had actually never made cupcakes before I got VCTotW, so they were all new to me, but I loved them too :) The heavenly raw cookies are really taking over the foodblogs, I love them too! And the Indian food! So yes, the best of luck this week, I hope things will get better soon.

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

Chin up, Ruby Red. You're an amazing and strong person and you can get through whatever it is that's causing your funk. Email me if you want to "talk" about it. In the meantime, make sure you keep yourself full of healthy food and get some exercise (yoga does wonders for the spirit) to get your endorphins pumping. That should make you feel better. Oh, and don't forget all these people in the vegan blog world who are on your side; you've got a small army of supporters. :)

Lindsay (Happy Herbivore) said...

i wish i hated cupcakes.
I want that fauxstess one... I'm too lazy to make it myself... maybe for my bday...

KathEats said...

Wow, these all look so great!! Where can I find the heavenly cookies recipe??

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Yes, being kicked in the butt by homework DOES indeed hurt. I'm thinking of filing a complaint: Cruelty to chocolate-covered vegans :o/

jd said...

Hey Ruby Red!

1.) I hope you're feeling better. I go through bouts of feelings of general crapiness too, often for no apparent reason whatsoever. For me, what sometimes helps is when I think about the fact that if we didn't have the occasional sad/depressing feelings, we probably wouldn't be able to fully appreciate all of the positive stuff. Either way, hang in there - things will start looking up again soon! Just remember all of the bloggers who love you :)

2.) I'm so excited that you tried my Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Oatmeal! I absolutely love that you made it into a pudding recipe - what a cool idea. I'm going to have to borrow it from you and post it on my blog. LOL!

3.) I'm totally with you on the cupcake thing. I always thought I hated them, too. However, it was DEFINITELY just the fact that I'd always eaten chemically-tasting, sucky cupcakes before! After baking vegan ones myself, I found out how delish they can be. I'm glad that you did as well :)

Kristen's Raw said...

Hey cool sassy girl :)

Thanks for the great pics and info about the raw cookies. I'm SO happy you liked them. They're a staple in my household. Perfect for whenever I have a sweet tooth and just want something to take the edge off, ya know?

Have a great day!

Anardana said...

Aww, thanks! All of your dinners looks great, too!

Anonymous said...

That cupcake looks wonderful! I think I am going to try that cookie recipe too. Yum!!!

eatme_delicious said...

I didn't used to like cakes either but then I tried one that was so delicious and I was hooked! Hope you're feeling better soon.

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

I just *had* to leave you a comment to tell you that I had your carob oatmeal pudding this morning and it was sooo good! I was happy all day because of my awesome breakfast :o)

Sarah P said...

I ALWAYS HATED CUPCAKES, too, until trying some of the Conscious Kitchen's Tria Misu cupcakes this summer - now look at me! I'm a cupcake addict! glad vegan cupcakes are winning you over ^_^

Penny said...

Oh my,delish lookin cupcake! I recommend ordering from Vegan Honey on Etsy for more good treats.