I am so, so sorry for the lame post title. I guess I am trying to make up for the fact that I have been neglecting the blog. And sorry to disappoint you again, but this post has nothing to do with ketchup.
It does have something to do with tomatoes, though -- at least in this first photo:
We have a new-ish completely vegan deli in our town, and it is the only all-vegan restaurant here. Their entrees rotate/change daily, and since I've never had vegan lasagna, I thought I would try theirs. It was delicious and very filling! I wasn't sure that lasagna only would do it for me, but my belly was very happy. And it was even happier after it had dessert, too (which I ate in the car and neglected to take a picture of -- I am so disappointing today!).
My friend Jess and I went back to the same deli again today for lunch. Lately when we've eaten out together we each order a different entree and split them, so today we shared a Jamaican Jerk Burger and a raw Hemp Granola Salad. You can't really see the hemp granola, but it tasted a lot like Nature's Path Hemp Plus Granola to me, which is one of my favorite granolas ever (although I admit I am no expert in this subject). The hemp granola was mixed with grated carrot, avocado, and sliced cucumber. It came with a orange dressing but I didn't like the orange flavor and I don't like salad dressing in general (Annie's Goddess Dressing is an exception, though!), so the container of dressing was cast aside and ignored.
I had to get dessert:
This deli makes awesome Chocolate Chip Muffins!
Oh, speaking of chocolate chips:
I love Nana's Cookies! They are my favorite packaged cookie of all time. The one is the picture is the plain ol' Chocolate Chip, just because it was the only flavor I could find that day, but the true stars of the Nana's line are the No Wheat Chocolate Chip (barley flour is sooo good in cookies!) and the Coconut Chip is pretty fartin' good too. Wow, that was inappropriate and unnecessary. But I don't feel like deleting it. Anyway.
I have a recipe for you, today. Recipe sharing is a rare occasion on this blog, and it's usually breakfast-related, but breakfast is what I do best. So here goes:
Fig & Cashew Oat Bran
Serves one hungry appetite
1 cup water
Pinch salt
39 grams (1/3 cup) oat bran
1 small-medium banana
2/3 cup unsweetened soymilk
1/2 medjool date, chopped small
1 dried Turkish fig, chopped small, divided
a hefty dose of cinnamon (as much as your heart desires -- maybe a teaspoon for big cinnamon lovers?)
1 tablespoon cashew butter (I use a local raw cashew butter that's blended with safflower oil -- the brand is Eastwind and it's the best cashew butter I have ever had -- I get it from a tub in Whole Foods' bulk aisle)
*This oat bran also rocks if you sprinkle unsweetened shredded coconut over the top! But coconut is optional.
*Also optional: 1 tablespoon ground flax, which I like to add for yummy vegan omega-3's. You would stir this into the pot after the oats have cooled from cooking, right before pouring into your serving bowl.
Bring the salt and water to a boil in a pot on the stove. Add oat bran after the water boils and stir with a spatula. After the oats reduce a little, turn the heat down to medium-high and add your banana, sliced very thinly. Whip the banana into the oat bran and turn the heat to medium after a minute or so.
Add the soymilk to the pot, little by little -- think risotto technique. After the oat bran accepts the soymilk and everything reduces, add a splash more of soymilk. Throw the chopped date into the pot and keep stirring. Throw in about 2/3 of the total quantity of your chopped fig.
After the oat bran achieves a thicker consistency, turn heat to medium-low and plop some cinnamon into the pot and stir, stir, stir. When the oats reach your desired consistency (I like mine on the thicker, slow-pouring end of the spectrum), cover the pot and turn the heat off. Let sit for 1 to 3 minutes, covered and removed from the heat source.
Pour the oats into your serving bowl. Top the oat bran with the rest of your chopped fig. Swirl a small chunk of your cashew butter into the top layer of the oats (like a cashew butter swirl ribbon, in oat bran instead of in ice cream!). You can add shredded coconut at this point too if you would like. It's great with coconut, but it's fab without as well!
Further directions for the devouring of your breakfast: After you eat the top layer and gobble up all the cashew butter, take out another chunk of your cashew butter tablespoon and spread that on the newly revealed top layer. Continue this process until the nut butter is all gone, but don't use it all too fast or there will be no cashew flavor in the bottom of your bowl!
This is one of my favorite breakfasts, on par with Carob Chip Cookie Dough Oat Bran (with toasted walnuts and a peanut butter swirl ribbon!). The recipe for the carob oat bran is here -- it is an adaptation of Chocolate Covered Katie's lovely Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Oatmeal.
Speaking of Katie, I made another one of her recipes recently, with my own twist. I tried her Blended Grains Technique!
I had the grains with dinner, though, so I made them savory. All I did was blend a serving of cooked kamut berries with a little water. Next I reheated the blended goodies in the microwave with some nutritional yeast and sea salt, and then I stirred in a dab of Earth Balance (vegan margarine) after that. Blended grains are really good! Thank you so much for inventing blended grains, Katie! I've also tried a sweet version of blended kamut berries with bananas and soymilk, but the picture was horrible. Katie's also holding a giveaway contest, which you can read more about here!
Wow, that was exhausting! Okay, RRV over and out! See you next time. :)
28 comments:
Definitely definitely DEFINITELY not too late! (Is that enough "definitelys" for ya?) Two more entries :)
I love savory blended grains, but have never put nutritional yeast in them. That's going onto my to-do list right now. After all, my fave mac and cheese recipe uses nutritional yeast, and macaroni is a grain...
I am so jealous of that chocolate chip muffin. I wish there were a place around here where I could buy vegan chocolate chip muffins!!
Your posts are always so fun to read, Miss Ruby Red!
P.S. Can I feature your dinner in an upcoming post?
OOO I'm in awe of your oatmeal creations! I must try these out very very soon. I've just realized my love for Cashew Butter =)
Hooray for lasagna, muffins, cookies, oat bran... and for YOU posting again!! :-)
vegan lasagna!? YUMMM.
love the food :D
wow granola in a salad?! whatttttt haha
Figs, cashew butter, and oat bran- enough said! All of your breakfast creations always looks so great.
ive been mia lately too.. dont sweat it!!!
you must be so pumped to have a vegan deli in your TOWN!!! im jealoussss... there is NOTHING in my gross town accept mcdonalds... great haha
I've said it before, and I'll say it again--I am SO jealous of your access to vegan restaurants! I'm afraid those kind of locales are still decades away from arriving down South.
That oat bran sound fabulous! I really must get some figs one of these days.
Don't worry about blog neglect, we all do it from time to time (I seem to have been doing it for the past 6 months or so!)
So many yummies on this page though! I want muffins and cookies! Yum!
And that breakfast looks awesome!
Yum yum!
I love Nana's cookies too! Unfortunately my local health food shop only carries chocolate chip and double chococlate chip : ( A coconut flavour sounds really tasty!
love all your food pics....drooly drool.
glad you've still been cookin'!
Mmmm all sounds so good! But I'm loving that oatbran the best--figs! Love 'em.
You're so cute--you remind me so much of one of my friends. Anyway, don't worry about neglecting the blog. Your posts are always worth the wait. :)
I'm glad you liked the lasagna! I want to try it next time I'm there, but it's quite a long way from me, especially with Highway 40 construction.
New restaurant fun! Nature's Path granola is the best ever. Mmmmmuffin! I love how "homemade" it looks, not like something that came out of a production line.
I love Nana's cookies too!! I'll have to try the No Wheat Chocolate Chip next time, you know, if it's fartin' good how could I not try it?
Your oat bran flavor combinations are scrummy! I'm not an oatmeal/oat bran person, but anything with the words "cashew" and "cookie dough" has my attention.
Oh, and I like the post title, actually! :-)
I always judge a Vegan/vegetarian section of a restaurant by the burgers they make. I am a sucker for tempeh/lentil based burgers! I was a regular at this place called Seva in Ann Arbor.
That Jamaican Jerk Burger looks incredibly sad that he is not part of my lunch today. Did you know that you must divide your tasty eats into thirds so that I may have some also?
The blended grains technique seems simple enough, I must give that a try!
Oh... And I liked the post title "Ketchin' Up". It made me laugh, twice. So there!
Yum! You always have the tastiest looking pictures! Vegan lasagna sounds really good :)
VegaDeli is so awesome! I love sharing with you because we always get interesting stuff.
I need to try your new oatbran recipe. I'm still obsessed :)
No coffee for me yet, but maybe on the way home today!
It's always a good day when I get to read a new RRV post! Thanks for the awesome oat bran recipe. I keep saying I'm going to try oat bran as a hot cereal and I never do it, so maybe this post will motivate me after all. :)
Never had vegan lasagna!!! How is that possible??? Your new deli sounds like is will score you lots of delicious meals. Granola in salad is so unique!
Your breakfast looks fantastic.
Hooray for getting vegan deli in your town! That's super cool.
lucky you on the vegan deli! that lasagna looks gorgeous.
Loving the blended grains idea too - it sounds so good.
your food look so healthy and tasty,
i love to make things with oatmeal too
thanks!
Hey hey Ruby!!!!
I'm SOOOOOOOOOO SORRY for this delay in writing !!!!! FORGIVE ME PLS,I've been away for quite some time..!! AGAiN...!!!!!!!!!!
I missed you a lot!! =)
Are you still interested in my idea ... THE FOOD SWAP!!!!! GROCERY EXCHANGE...!!!!!!! =DDDDDD
It'd be FUN,don't you think..??? =)) I like to try new RAW GOODIES !!! And I'll be happy to send you some of my favs!!! =)
WHAT DO YOU THINK..??
LET ME KNOW....PLS!!! =DDD
Enjoy your day!!!!!
Warm HUGGGGGS!!
mmm, you're lucky to have that jamaican burger available, the plate looks gorgeous! and btw, thank you for making your breakfast recipes a realistic amount - 1/3 of cup is a real serving!!
An all-vegan deli?! I LOVE the fact that more vegan restaurants are starting to pop up! :)
"take out another chunk of your cashew butter tablespoon and spread that on the newly revealed top layer."...ummm, GENIUS. I'm definitely doing that this week with my oatmeal! I'm glad you're back! :) Have a wonderful day girl!<3
Post a Comment