It seems like just yesterday when I last took a trip to Chicago, but it has been a whole month. Jess and I had a lot of fun last time, and we were lucky to get an excuse to go again! Her hubby had school business to attend to up in Chi-town, so thankfully they let me tag along and we made a little road trip out of it!
Night number one consisted of a dinner at a diner called Pick Me Up Cafe. They have vegan and omni selections, so it's a good place for a vegan to take a friend that is not too adventurous.
Jess and I split their tofu scramble and vegan pecan pancakes. I loved when, as he set our plates down, the server commented that the silver cup on the plate was indeed soy margarine. Good, less questions for us to ask!
Sadly, the pancakes were pretty bland, but they were edible. Vegan with a Vengeance pancakes are where the magic really is.
We paid a visit to Intelligentsia, of course, like last time on the trip.
Jess, that strong woman, is abstaining from espresso per her Lenten contract, but she was nice enough to be patient while I sipped on a delicious traditional cappuccino with soymilk (and the husband had something too).
For those of you who aren't in-the-know, Intelligentsia is one of the best places in the nation to get exquisite espresso. For some reason I feel the need to spread the knowledge that Starbucks is not a wise place to invest in unless you want stale, over-roasted, thin espresso. The only reason people drink it is because Starbucks covers up the taste by dumping a lot of sugar on top. Okay, end of rant.
I also had the privilege of trying Vosges chocolate while in Chicago. They usually carry it at Whole Foods Market, but I have seen this brand at other gourmet grocery stores as well. The price of even a half-ounce bar is steep ($3.49!) but 'twas totally worth it. This is fine chocolate, my friends. Fabulous. (I tried the Creole Bar!)
We met up with some peeps later that day and after hanging out for a while, our trip was wrapped up with a dinner at the Chicago Diner, only mine and Jess's favoritest restaurant in the whole entirety of the world. (It's a vegetarian diner, where everything has the option of being vegan -- or maybe it's close to everything.)
After much deliberation, I decided to stray from the delicious Reuben sandwich and I ordered one of the diner's specials, the Raw Bacon Cheeseburger.
The burger bun was actually a flax-based bread, and of course there was a burger patty and raw vegan bacon. The really creative part was the dehydrated raw onion rings. The side salad had a tasty dressing, but I was not too fond of the seasoning on the jicama fries (though I adore jicama itself) and the side of red cabbage slaw was nothing special enough to finish eating.
I didn't know where to begin when eating this plate, but Jess advised me to put the two halves of the burger together and dig in.
So I did.
All in all, the burger was tasty but it was not exciting enough for me to order again. I love trying new things -- though I admit I often get myself into food ruts -- and I would like to try Chicago Diner's raw specials in the future. My tummy just could not decide what it wanted for dinner that night so I made a quick decision!
Earlier in the day, I had resolved that I was not going to have a vegan milkshake at the diner. But -- did you guess there was a "but" coming?! -- the meal part did not cap off the trip like I had wanted it to, so I was forced to order a Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Milkshake to make up for that.
Look at that cup of heaven. Wow! While I was happily slurping this bad boy, I came to the realization that this milkshake was the best eats of the entire Chicago trip -- the best eats of probably the last 21 years of my life -- so it is not in my best interest to ever, ever, ever abstain from a peanut butter cookie dough milkshake when I go to the diner in the future.
And then we drove home. And my belly was very, very happy. The end.
So recently I had someone tell me I was too "rigid" because I am a vegan. Just looking back at my old posts, and even at my meals and snacks in Chicago, I just can't see how "rigid" could even begin applying to my diet! I eat darn good food. I feed myself very well, and I can hardly begin to see how the way I eat could ever be considered as a diet of deprivation!!! All right, end of rant number two! I just needed to get that out there. And there endeth this post. Have a happy day!
38 comments:
The food looks great; but that shake?!?!?!??!! PURE bliss :-D
Um, you are NOT rigid, girl - don't listen to the haters!!
I must try that Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Shake next time I visit the Diner!
I'm not much of a coffee person, but that Intellgentsia cappuccino looks amazing!
Oh, you went to Pick Me Up? I've been wanting to go to that cafe for a while now.. you should've gotten the Vegan French Toast. Everyone tells me they are the best ever.
Those Heart Thrive bars you recommend look really good.. too bad I've never seen them in stores here. Def will try it if I see it though.
I was totally thinking of you when I bought the ABC Cookie of the Season.. i know how much you love the chocomint combo!
Rigid? What? Are they serious? Clearly they do not know the way you eat, girl. Pay no attention to them, keep on eatin' vegan.
I am so happy to see this post!!! I am going to Chicago I think and this makes me super excited!
I'm sure they only think you're "rigid" because they don't know that vegans actually eat more than just tofu and salad.
What a wonderful meal and that shake looks phenomenal!
I just had the raw cheeseburger today when I went to the diner! While I actually LOVED the jicama fries, I do agree that it was not the most exciting meal ever. I've tried their raw nachos before and those were fantastic!
Rigid? Haha- at least we know that that's not true :)
YAY for another super fun Chicago trip! So much goodness! The shake looks SO divine - I might be a little jealous! :D
Oh yes you are rigid, chocolate, pancakes, cappuccino, delicious shake. Very rigid. [/end sarcasm]
Rigid? Rigid!?! Who are these people? They need a serious dose of veggie education. Eat the best food in the world while being good to yourself and the world around you!
Ooh! I love the idea of a sweet-savory combo with the pancakes and scramble!
Raw vegan bacon? Dehydrated onion rings? So Cool!
Rigid? Yeah... right!
And that milkshake does look like a cup of heaven, o my!
I've never seen so much colourful food in a single post! The burger looks a bit scary, but yikes the milkshake looks divine. I'll take one of those anyday :)
that milkshake looks divine! Glad you had another fun trip.
I'm dying to eat at the Chicago Diner after reading about it on other blogs! Sounds amazing. Nashville has nothing even close. If I want raw or vegan foods, I have to make them myself. We do however have over-roasted Starbucks espresso drinks and Vosges Chocolate. Love the goji berry bar!
That milkshake looks like heaven!
I think I need to go to Chicago, too! Everything looks so tempting (esp that shake!!). I've actually found that a vegan diet is the opposite of "rigid"--I am waaaay more adventurous with veg foods than I ever was with animal foods. So tell those negative people to just take a carrot and shove it--in their mouths (now, you weren't thinking I'd say something different, were you??) ;)
yeah the rumor that the vegan diet is limiting has spread way too far, keep blogging to help stop it in its tracks :) the milkshake looks amazing.
i had native's pb parfait for the first time last week, it reminds me of that but yours obv is slightly more amazing :)
Mmmm, vegan pecan pancakes...
Oh, and rigid? Only people who are rigid think to use the word rigid.
NAOmni
Everything looks great! I can never figure out how do they create those patterns on the surfaces of the cappuccinos in restaurants....looks amazing. But my fav was the tofu scramble. I am a sucker for tofu :)
Another fun Chicago trip!! And I'm already looking forward to going again -- after Easter, of course!! I can't go without one of those amazing shakes ever AGAIN!!
Just for the record, you're not rigid at all. I know you'll try anything that's vegan :)
if you want the recipe for the pb pie instead of searching it out on your own, let me know! i have it saved in PDF form :)
and yeah the parfait was amazing, the funny thing is, when i first got it, i was like, "man, this is HUGE, i can't believe they give you so much, i probably can't finish it..." and then that turned into, "refill please?"
holy crap, that shake looks awesome. no wonder it made your best food ever list!!
i agree with veggiegirl, please ignore the haters.
Hey hey Ruby!!
I've been sooo busy lately and I missed your posts so much!!!
I'm so happy to read them again..!!
=))
WoooW you're eating such scrumptious food!!!! Mmmmmmmm... I'm really getting jealous!! Hah=) All the wonderful restaurants you visited...ahhhh ahhh!! =D You're soooo soo lucky! ! =D
ENJOY THEM FOR ME!!
The RAW SANDWICH looks interesting!!! =D Do you like trying RAW VEGAN foods..?? Have you ever tried making some by yourself ?? =D It's great FUN!!
Oh Ruby..!! Would you like to do a grocery swap..?? =))
Would be cool =)
I hope to hear from you soon =D
HUGGG!! Enjoy your day!!
Wow, that sounds like a great trip. The shake alone sounds so fantastic and everything else looks amazing, too!
that milkshake looks AMAZING!
What a fun trip! Good for you for stepping out of your box to try something new. It looks like you had a ton of delicious food and beverages in Chicago, even though there were a couple disappointments along the way.
People who think veganism is rigid have a rigid view of veganism! My culinary world expanded exponentially as a vegan and I'm going to guess that yours has, too. Your rant was well-warranted!
Oh, I wish I could go to the Chicago Diner!!! Everything looks wonderful, especially the raw burger...and well, that shake leaves me speechless.
Love this post!
You always make me appreciate living in the Chicago area, just when I start thinking that the vegan scene sucks here... So, thanks for kickin' me in the ass with this post and encouraging me to try some of these places again. (I had a less-than-stellar experience at the Chicago Diner a long time ago, and have been avoiding it ever since...)
I'm so glad you stopped by Intelligentsia - I know we talked about it before in a past post, but it really is the best, isn't it?!
Oh, and BTW, I'd rather be "rigid" and eating healthy/delicious fruits, veggies, grains, etc., than "not rigid" and eating animal products that are masquerading as food. What an insane comment...
You're so lucky! I wish I could go on all of the food journeys you take. Those raw onion rings really are a good idea, I think I might have to try making some of my own
Amazing resteraunt goodies- that vegan milk shake, wow. :)
ignore the haters!
* I just got that dark chocolate :)
I haven't visited your blog for a while, so I had the pleasure of catching up on all the cool stuff you've been eating.
It annoys me how people automatically assume vegan/vegetarian diets are restrictive, when I think everyone can fall into the trap of eating only a few foods. (And in my experience veg*ns generally eat more creatively, because we had to learn to really cook.)
How could you resist a shake?! I'm going back to Chicago in May & really want a Reuben again!!
Mmm chocolate!
I haven't been to an Intelligentsia. I really shd go to one. Everyone always says their coffee is really good. Good thing you had a cap while waiting. :-)
Rigid? Gelato, great coffee and chocolate, wholesome sandwiches, waffles, milkshakes all seem far from rigid.
truffles are soOo good. Girl if you enjoy chocolate, you gotta try truffles. the ones that are in the form of balls and have no filling--just chocolate. If you get the good kind, it should just melt in your mouth.
I hate when people ask me how I can deprive myself by begin vegan. They don't know what they're missing!
That shake - WOW!!!!
i hate that ive never been to the chicago diner!! every time i see food from it im jealous!!!!
Hi there!!!
I haven't re-visited your blog though you've on my blogroll for FOREVER, but I just want to say that I MISSED OUT ON SO MUCH!!! I live in Chicago and don't even realize that there are so many great vegan restaurants where I live!! Thank you Thank you Thank you for opening my eyes to delicious-looking, good-for-you food!! I'm DEFINITELY taking my boyfriend to get that milkshake!! :)
P.s. If you're at all interested in granola, I'm hosting a giveaway for Zoe's granola (2 boxes of your choice!!) so please come visit me! http://luckytastebuds.wordpress.com
I'm ready to go to Chicago!! Gotta go to the diner.
I've just discovered your blog and am enjoying it very much, so I'm adding you to my blogroll...
That milkshake looks unbeievably good, but a trip across the Atlantic is maybe a bit too far for me! Any ideas how I could make one for myself? Cookie dough???? Baked, I suppose and mixed in? Please help! I need one of these NOW!
We, at http://liftyouup.blogspot.com, guess you must very strong determination to stay vegan. Well done and keep it up. Stay fit and healthy is everyone's concerns.
Post a Comment