Spring break was last week for me and I'm trying to enjoy the final hours of freedom. I stayed in town the whole week, which turned out to be really really awesome actually, and then made a little trippie up to Chicago. More on that later! But I got back in the wee hours of this fine Sunday morning... I had some good eats there but discovered some awesome stuff while home cookin' this week, so I thought I'd share.
Tofu can be so annoying to work with sometimes. It never seems to come out right for me, no matter how long I try or how long I press or marinade it. Grrr. Thank goodness for Miss Gliding Calm and her fabulous tofu recipe! I've had problems with the recipe before because I'm a tofu loser, but I finally figured out that it is flawless if you freeze and thaw the block of tofu! Here's my spin on it:
Gliding Calm Tofu
Serves 2
7 or 8 oz. extra-firm water-packed tofu, frozen overnight and thawed
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup (grade B)
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 teaspoon sweet chili sauce (or use an extra teaspoon maple syrup)
lots of ginger (powdered)
a few dashes salt
a few dashes garlic powder
I used half a block of tofu and saved the other half for later. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Take your half tofu block and cut into thin slices. Blot slices with a paper towel to absorb excess moisture out of the tofu. Mix all other ingredients in a shallow, wide container and rub both sides of the tofu in this mixture! Lightly mist a baking sheet with oil, spread tofu on the sheet, and bake tofu for as long as desired. Remove when tofu is still slightly moist and place on a cooling rack (the type you use to cool cookies and baked goods). Turn oven to the broil setting and place cooling rack with tofu under the broiler for 3-4 minutes, monitoring very carefully. The tofu is done when it is browned around the edges and a little drier!
For the perfect meal, serve tofu with Trader Joe's sweet potato fries and curry ketchup (5 teaspoons ketchup + 1 teaspoon curry powder) and raw kale salad (1+ cup raw kale, rinsed, torn into bite sized pieces, and massaged; mix with 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, lots of sea salt, and black pepper; let it get all nice and cold in the fridge before eating!).
I also experienced oat bran nirvana this week. Normally I use quick steel-cut oats or thick old fashioned oats, but Jess advised me to try something new when we were on one of our Whole Foods trips. Now I'm obsessed with oat bran! All right, get ready to travel to oat bran mecca:
Carob Chip Cookie Dough Oat Bran
with peanut butter ribbons and walnuts
Serves 1
1 cup water
pinch salt
40 grams oat bran (about 1/3 cup)
1 small-medium banana
2/3 cup unsweetened soymilk
1/2 medjool date, chopped small
1 tablespoon peanut butter (I used organic freshly ground PB from the Whole Foods bulk section)
1/2 tablespoon walnuts, chopped
1 heaping tablespoon non-dairy carob chips
a few dashes cinnamon
Disclaimer: This is an oats recipe for the stovetop, not the microwave! (And thanks for the oatmeal inspiration, Katie!)
In a stove pot, bring water to a boil with some salt. Add oat bran after the water boils and stir with a spatula. After the oats reduce a little, turn the heat down to medium-high and add your banana, sliced very thinly. Whip the banana into the oat bran and turn the heat to medium after a minute or so.
Add the soymilk to the pot, little by little -- think risotto technique. After the oat bran accepts the soymilk and everything reduces, add a splash more of soymilk. Throw the chopped date into the pot and keep stirrin'. Yay, isn't making oats fun?!
After the oat bran achieves a thicker consistency, turn heat to medium-low and plop some cinnamon into the pot and stir, stir, stir. When the oats reach your desired consistency (I like mine on the thicker, slow-pouring end of the spectrum), cover the pot and turn the heat off. Let sit while you "toast" your walnuts: I heat my chopped ones in the microwave for 40 seconds. You'll have to adjust the time based on your microwave, because 40 seconds in different microwaves may burn your precious nuts. Hahaha.
Pour half the oats into your serving bowl. Add about half your carob chips to the pot and stir so that the chips melt. Plop this melty mixture into your bowl, too. Top the oat bran with a few more carob chips (save some of them!) and the walnuts. Swirl a small chunk of your peanut butter into the top layer of the oats. It's like a peanut butter swirl ribbon!
You can garnish the oats with more carob chips and peanut butter after you finish the top layer. Fun! And the best part is, this totally tastes like a Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Milkshake from the Chicago Diner!
Ohh, and here's a breakfast I made the other day!
This is a fourth of the recipe for some Vegan with a Vengeance muffins, and they were all mine! I like to make small batches of things because it's fun, and it's easier to quality-control for me because I'm used to small batches. And I hate having baked goods laying around idle (as in, not in my tummy), so there you go!
I also made an espresso drink -- I tend to do a hybrid of a soy latte and soy cappuccino. I like to rip off pieces of muffin and dip it in the cappuccino. Anyway, I made carrot ginger almond muffins. I just combined two of the VwaV recipes (the carrot raisin muffins and ginger raisin bran muffins) and added some crystallized ginger in addition to the ginger already present in the recipe. 'Twas yummy, especially with little pats of Earth Balance in the middle of the fresh-outta-the-oven muffins! Yay for leisurely breakfasts!
I'll be back soon with another Chicago post! Yay.
30 comments:
Holy (non-factory-farm) cow!
I'm coming to your place next year for spring break, ok? Please?
Oh, and you certainly don't look like a tofu loser to me! More like a tofu wizard! Ruby Red Tofu Wizard!
I'm loving the Carob Chip-Cookie Dough Oat Bran and of course the...
SWEET POTATO FRIES!!!!!! :-D
**As for your question on my blog = I'll include it in the second Q&A session :-)
Can't wait to hear about another trip to Chicago! And if you managed to make oat bran taste like the Chicago Diner's PB Cookie Dough Milkshake, there's no way I can't try that recipe!
I've been eating sweet potatoes like mad lately and gotta try them now with some curry ketchup- YUM
I've been loving atmeal lately, so I'll have to give your recipe a try. It looks totally delish!
I'm glad you're back to posting! The Carob Chip Cookie Dough Oat Bran looks fantastic!
NAOmni
Glad you had a nice Spring Break! I'm still trying to find the perfect tofu recipe too. And I want to try that raw kale salad idea; sounds delicious!
Sounds like you made the most of your week off! Fabulous eats. Too bad about tofu being so temperamental--but this recipe looks great. And I love, love, love the oatbran!
Wait...you toast your nuts in the microwave? You totally just blew my mind, I never would have even thought of doing that!!
I recently discovered oat bran also, its amazing!!
mmm that carob chip cookie dough oat bran sounds amazinng!
glad you had a good spring break!! :)
that cookie bran! wow! I used to be obsessed with oat bran, too, way way way back, even before I was vegan or vegetarian. I couldn't believe it was healthy, it was so good. I have to try it with carob and walnuts I think!
And I like your muffin mash! Look like winners to me. :D
(oh yeah, and "Gliding Calm" has to be the best name for a tofu ever)
Genious idea with the freezing of the tofu. What does the freezing do to make it work better? I sometimes feel like my tofu's a bit unpredicable.
peanut butter & chips oatmeal - that sounds amazing!
wow, i am so craving oat bran right now!
:) I do work at Juilliard. I work in Student Affairs and specifically manage the residence hall. It's a great place and the students are a blast. Too, it's great being constantly surrounded by the arts. If you're ever in NY, let me know. I've always got access to cheap/free tickets.
Here's to Reuben Snobbery!
I've been wanting to try an oat bran concoction, so thanks for the recipe! Although it's a little involved, I know I can handle it. ;)
Must. Make. Carob Chip Cookie Dough Oat Bran. Must!
Isn't oat bran the best? It's like ultra oatmeal, esp. in that cookie dough variety you made!
I didn't know you were having tofu issues. I thought everyone brought home their tofu and immediately threw it in the freezer. I guess this is why we blog. There's so much yet to learn from each other.
I'm glad you had a good spring break. I can't wait to hear about the return trip to Chicago.
I do love the texture of frozen/thawed tofu...but I also don't mind eating it plain and straight from the container. Is that weird?
Also, I love vegans get excited about things like oat bran. I love it too, but when I step back and think about things from omni/traditional American diet perspective, it's funny how health-conscious we are and how healthy foods make us happy. It's a great thing though!
I can't wait to try these recipes!
Especially the oat bran, YUM!
Your tofu and oatmeal both look really tasty! I'm coming to your place for breakfast sometime soon :)
I'm glad you enjoyed spring break!
i just found your blog, and i'm already a fan. love all the photos and scrumptious eats!
glad you enjoyed your spring break :)!
I'm liking the sound of those muffins! I've not tried that recipe yet, so I think I'll have to whip up a batch next baking session - probably a couple dozen should do the job, you can never have too many muffins lying around, even cooking for one, I say!!
hey girl! thanks so much for the shout out! can you take my name off of the post though? I try to keep my identity private in the blog world!! sorry to be a pain!!! always lovin your meals!!!
Take care lovely lady!
~G.C.
Oh my gosh, SUPER SCRUMPTIOUS!
Wow, I have never seen such delicious-looking oat bran in all of my life before!
What a great idea for the Carob Chip-Cookie Dough Oat Bran! Digging you blog!
Mmmmm oatmeal. It looks awesome! And I love the muffin combination! A very big YUM for those!
That oatbrean really looks like a big bowl of cookie dough. I wish I could eat a big bowl of cookie dough for breakfast!
You are so not a loser silly! I'm so glad you had success with the 'fu! I've never frozen and defrosted a slab but I'm so gonna try it now!
NOM..the oats look FAHbulous!
oh. my. goodness.
i love that oatbran recipe!!!
i must try that!
mm sweet potato fries :)
Post a Comment