It is such an incredible feeling to realize that something you have just experienced is one of those once-in-a-lifetime, I-am-never-going-to-forget kind of occurrences. For me, this happened earlier this April. I was lucky enough to secure a volunteer position at the World Barista Championship in Atlanta, Georgia, and I was lucky that the competition just so happened to be in the United States this year and just so happened to be in the very city to which my parents just relocated. So of course I asked them if I could come home this weekend.
Tasting, making, and talking about espresso is one of my hobbies. Quality coffee creates a community in which people come together to share a common interest and passion, and there's something about espresso that keeps coffee people coming back, for reasons besides the caffeination. Once you taste your first good espresso, it becomes a journey. I feel compelled to continue moving towards improved quality and finding what awaits in the coffee world.
All the magic happened at the Georgia World Congress Center. I had to learn how to ride the Atlanta metro system in order to get there. 'Twas fun. I am a public transportation prodigy.
The first thing I did after getting my volunteer badge was grab up a soy cappuccino from the free espresso bar in the World Barista Championship area. Several baristas were being snobbish about my asking for soy... They need to get over themselves! Sometimes purists can really come off as jerks.
My volunteer duties for day one were simply to be a busser at the judges' table for a few hours... We'll get to that later... But once my busser responsibilites were explained to me, I was free to roam until the competition started. So I took some pictures. Here's a sweeeeet lever espresso machine:
You sure as heck won't find a model like this at Starbucks.
Here are the trophies... Some talented baristas are going to take these home!
The stage... Three espresso stations, timers, video cameras, yee-haw...
The National Barista Champion from Italy:
Italian guy again (he spoke pretty darn great English - I was wondering if he was going to do his presentation in Italian, but if I'm remembering correctly I think almost everything was in English!):
Here's where my job came in: I would come up behind these four chairs while the judges were seated. Italian guy would serve four espressos. The judges sip. The head judge gives me and my buddy the signal. My buddy and I whisk the espressos away into our bus tubs. Wow, we are so important. Okay, not really. But then the cappuccinos would be served, we would bus. Then the competitor would make a signature drink - anything they like, but it must include espresso - and then we would bus that after the presentation would finish. Then we would run into the back room, drop off all the dishes, and bus for the next competitor!
This was so awesome! It's great to see people from other countries that share my passion, and my fellow volunteers were from China and Denmark, also both baristas! We had a blast - and they both spoke English so that was fun! It's cool to see how foreigners behave differently than Americans.
We bussed for 2 and a half hours or so, until the next shift of people came in, and then I scurried back to the free espresso bar. He he he.
Soy cappuccino number two:
So I am a total geek and read about things that are going on in the coffee world all the time. Needless to say, a lot of coffee celebrities were at the event, and these were people I recognized from pictures. After a few more espresso shots and some coffee, I was caffeinated enough to work up the courage to talk to James, the 2007 World Barista Champion, who is from the UK:
He made us a pot of French press with this crazy awesome contraption he helped invent that controls the water temp going into the press pot and weighs the coffee for you and some other cool stuff that I don't know about. The best coffee people are often science whizzes, and he started talking about how density affects brewing temperature and partially lost me... This made me feel quite pathetic, as I'm in my third year of my nutrition program (a bachelor's of science degree) and I don't think I will know as much as he does about science anytime soon.
After I talked to James and got a picture (I asked, I promise!), I felt sufficiently satisfied to end my day at the competition and ride the train back to my parents' apartment.
That night, my parents and I had dinner at this awesome chain in Atlanta (it is in other cities too, as I understand) called Mellow Mushroom. There are tons of vegan options, including tempeh, teriyaki tofu, bbq tofu, and plain tofu for pizzas, calzones, and hoagies! (You have to make sure they don't put butter or cheese on your pizza dough, though - just warning you.) We started off with the hummus and pita appetizer:
This was the best hummus I've had in a long, long time! I was so impressed by how incredible it was! I was expecting lame hummus from a chain, but no no no. That was not the case. The pitas were doughy and so, so good without being overly greasy. Yay, Mellow Mushroom!
My parents' meals came out without mine, and the waitress let me know that the cooks put butter on my calzone (and she told them not to!). Later, she came back and said the cooks burned my calzone (attempt #2!) and that it would be out soon. An enormously long time later, my entree (the cooks' third attempt!!!) arrived - after my parents had completely finished their meals. I didn't care though, because I ate most of the pita and hummus app by myself and that kept me from being too ravenous while waiting for the main course:
My calzone had tofu, mushrooms, spinach, and tomato inside. The tofu part was lame because it was the water-pack kind and they didn't even marinate it. I only ate half, because this baby was waaaay bigger than it looks in the picture! Next time I'm askin' for tempeh in my calzone. (Again, if you go to Mellow Mushroom and want to eat vegan, make sure you ask for no cheese or butter on the dough.)
Day two of the competition began before my scheduled shift, but I was able to catch the performance of the United States Barista Champion, Mike Phillips of Intelligentsia Coffee in Chicago, before I had to start slaving away. Below is a picture of Mike's presentation - he's the head with the beard between the 3rd and 4th judges from the left.
After he went, I got to shake his hand!! I didn't wash it for the next week after that! (Just kidding, that is disgusting and obsessive...haha.) I was too scared to talk to him in the back room when I was doing my volunteer duties, but I finally worked up the nerve to chat with Mike for about 5 seconds! That day, along with a couple of cool coffee people from Seattle and New York, my volunteer assignments involved cleaning each of the 3 espresso machines onstage after the various competitors went. Over the two days, I got to seee performances given by the National Champs from Italy, Nicaragua, the U.S., Finland, Brazil (one of my favorites!), Sweden, Colombia, New Zealand, and many others that I already forgot! Even Iceland sent a barista to the World Barista Championship!!!
After I finished my duties and before finalists were announced, I flashed my VIP pass and got into the exposition room - full of even more free espresso and awesome espresso machines! I got a great soy cappuccino from the Alterra Coffee booth, a great coffee roaster that has a small set of cafes in Milwaukee.
Here's another cool espresso machine, the Slayer:
An Elektra:
I've never heard of a Sibilla, but there ya go:
One of the volunteers I met that day works in espresso equipment sales, so while we were in the exposition room he showed me where we could play on a La Marzocco GS/3, which I dearly desire to have in my kitchen one day. (Maybe if I find a husband who really really likes me, he shall purchase me one. $7,500 later.)
But more importantly...
So I had a totally embarrassing but wonderful little event happen where one of my fellow volunteers told one of the coffee celebs that I really wanted a picture with him (which I totally did!). So here are me and Kyle from Intelligentsia (he won the United States Barista Championship in 2008 and competed at the World Championship last year too):
Kyle was emceeing the competition, standing like 7 feet away from us the whole two hours we were cleaning espresso machines, but I only talked to him for like 1 minute of that. So sad. I am lame.
Here are me and my friend from China:
She knows the National Champ barista from China, who I also got a picture with, but it was super blurry. Oh well.
Overall, I had such a blast at this competition and got to try some incredible coffees. (My favorite of the weekend was a shot of Black Cat single-origin espresso from Rwanda.) As far as cappuccinos go, I am blessed enough to have had many way better cappuccinos in the past year than I was served here at the competition, so that's sayin' something. I also had way, way, way more caffeine in those two days than I normally have in about six days, but it was awwwwesome nonetheless. The guy from the U.S. (Mike) ended up getting third place, out of the whole world - all 52 countries that attended - so yay for him! (See, I told you Intelligentsia is something special!) I will remember it forever! And maybe I'll compete one day, but for now being a volunteer was almost more excitement than I could handle.
Finally, here's the house my family might move into in Georgia if we ever sell our house in Texas:
I like the exterior of the house, but the inside isn't so impressive in my opinion. My sister got first pick of the bedrooms and I got stuck with the ugly one with a mouse-sized window. It's all dark and stuff, which doesn't bother me too much because I would only live here in the summer. Plus, a bedroom with a small window is way better than a lot of people in the world have, so I feel like I shouldn't complain!
Two weeks of school left! YES!!! I'll be back soon with another post. :)
25 comments:
LOL Ruby Red, you are the Espresso Queen (aside from being the breakfast queen, as I've already called you). It's so cute :)
I would have loved to be there! I was a barista in college when the first coffee shops started popping up in places OTHER than Seattle. The machines pictured are a dream. I wish I had a quick 5K to get a great machine, for now I will go with Krupps :) Super fun! Thanks for the post.
wow! that's a lot of coffee!! neat!!!
and sorry the calzone wasn't tastier! at least you had a pretty pita and hummus platter!
How exciting for you! I've never met anyone who likes espresso as much as you (and I'm from Seattle, so that's saying something!).
That sounds like so much fun! Especially for the Espresso Queen! =)
I'm so excited for you! You seemed to have such a blast at that event.
My dad wants to take us to Atlanta sometime soon, so when I do go, I'll have to check out Mellow Mushroom.
wow, that sounds like a really fun time! i am not a coffee lover myself (i know, it's a tragedy) but i can appreciate those who are. that espresso machine is fantastic though. it's like a piece of art.
p.s. that calzone is the hugest thing i've ever seen.
What a great time you had! I LOVE the smell of coffee, but can't drink it - problems with caffeine. :o(
Can you explain to me something I've always wondered about? Why is it called 'bussing'? I'm Scottish, so don't know some of your foreign terminology!!! :o)
I love the hearts they make on top of the coffee - it's so creative and cute!
that sucks about your calzone!
i am not much of an espresso person but i didnt even know about this event...and i live in atlanta :( i would have loved to see the superb espresso machines though :)
and you rode the MARTA? did any of those buses arrive on time??? i'd be surprised if they did ;)
Hahaha you're more obsessed than I realized ;) Sounds like you had a great time!!
We get to try Goshen espresso this week, yay!
COOOOOOOOOOL!!! wow, im so jealous, that must have been a BLAST.
You are so cute, and quite the espresso expert - very impressive! I didn't even know such events existed, but I'm glad they do so you can go and enjoy them.
Those machines are amazing!
What an amazing event! And lucky your parents just HAPPENED to live nearby ;) The machines look awesome, but I LOVE the designs in the espresso!
Yay for having an awesome time and seeing live something you are so passionate about! Love the photos!
And I like the new house :) But I'm a bit of a weirdo and my pic probably would be whichever room had the teeniest window and is darkest :P
That competition looked awesome! Wish I could have attended! Thanks for sharing the pics!
-A
What an amazing experience for you, Ruby Red! Your enthusiasm is enough to make this vegan who doesn't care for coffee want to run out and get an Intelligentsia espresso!
ahh, that is SUCH a talent!! i am jealous of ever single barista there! and whoever won those espresso machines=luckyyy!
i could eat a hummus platter every day of the week :)
Hi dear Ruby!!
Sooo sorry for that delay in sommenting on your blog!! But it's all due to the exam session coming on me now..!! Ehh!! =// I'm finishing high school,ah!! =)
Sounds like a LOAD of FUN!!! Such a great experience you've made, ou EXPRESSO QUEEN!!! (like CCV called you!!! =DDD)
Soooo!!!!!!!!! HOW IS THERE WITH OUR FOOD SWAPPIE!!!! ???? ARE WE GOING TO DO IT???!!! I bet it would be PURE FUN!!! =D
Well,hope you're doing well and enjoying your weekend days !! =D
Hope to hear from you !! And if you have time pls visit my NEWEST POST!! =DDD I awlays loove your comments!! =D
HUGGG!!
Wow! It seems like you really enjoyed yourself! I don't drink coffee, but I can truly appreciate the beautiful latte art in your bevvies!
Hooray for the end of your semester!
Thank you for the response on my blog! I agree that food can't fix everything and shouldn't blame it on veganism. I'm still a pretty dedicated vegan. I was going through a rough time I guess! I've had bloodwork done and everything, and everything has come back normal every time. Plus my body fat or weight are't low at all. I did lose weight when I started running, but it was just the weight I'd lost from late night college snacking and drinking/you know the deal! I'd hate to resort to pills, but it looks like I don't have a choice. I just couldn't give up running or even cut back much :(
That is one mean looking calzone, though. I used to LOVE those and haven't found a vegan one around here.
Hi, My name is Sophia.
That house is gorgeous!!! I've only had espresso once, and I loved it. A whole competition for it is crazy awesome!
I started a new blog at: http://whatyourmommadidntknow.blogspot.com/
I would really love it if visited/commented on my blog.
I would also really like to add you to my blogroll?
Thanks!
Do you know if there have ever been any vegan baristas competing? Do they allow people to pour only nondairy milk? I suppose if you were pouring it for other people, their preference would be the key thing, so have there ever been any rounds with nondairy pours?
Anyhow, sounds like you had fun. :)
Hey Mona,
I do not know if vegan baristas have ever competed at the world level (I'm sure it's possible with all the other countries, that there's at least one who opposes dairy), but I'm sure in the regional and United States level competitions there have been. If I ever compete, you can sure betcha I'll be using soy milk. (Edensoy Original Enriched makes the BEST microfoam!)
Anyway, it's the competitor's decision regarding milk choice. I know I can never judge these comps, though, because I refuse to drink the dairy cappuccinos, and sometimes people put stuff like bacon in their signature drinks.
I'm glad you guys can appreciate this espresso stuff too - I know I'm a nerd! ;)
I'm glad to hear that the competitor gets to choose their own milk (even if it does result in frightening things such as bacon in drinks--why on earth would you do such a thing?). I hope you get to compete and represent vegan awesomeness. I'd be cheering for you. :)
Post a Comment