Sunday, March 1, 2009

Reuben, what is he dippity doin'?

After a recent visit to the veganworld-famous Chicago Diner a coupla weeks ago, of course I had to bust out Vegan with a Vengeance and make Isa's Tempeh Reuben.

2009_0301Image0002

I loved this recipe before I went to the Chicago Diner, and sure, this recipe is great. However, it doesn't even begin to compare to Chicago Diner's Radical Reuben! I took matters into my own hands and made the seitan from the diner's very own recipe, published on the Vegetarian Times website. (Again, scroll down this page for the recipe!) Oh, and the results?

2009_0301Image0008

Muuuch better (taste-wise, at least, I mean; Reubens aren't too attractive appearance-wise).

I would say my sandwich was 90% as delicious as the one they actually serve at the diner! I tried to thinly slice my seitan with my chef's knife, but that didn't get the job done as well as a meat slicer would. I still used the VwaV recipe for all aspects of the sandwich except for the tempeh, which obviously I replaced with the diner's seitan recipe. I used avocado to replace the creaminess of cheese for some of the seitan Reubens I made throughout the week, and on the others I used mozzarella Teese. Either way, you have yourself an awesome sandwich -- actually, my very favorite out of all sandwiches!

(By the way, the title of this post references a song by John Reuben, a Christian hip-hop artist I happened to see in concert in high school. Have any of you heard this song before, or am I the only one?!)

On a totally different tangent, Chocolate-Covered Vegan really knows her food! Every time I make one of her recipes, I get awesome results! Her Five-Minute Chocolate Mousse was no exception, and thus this snack was born:

2009_0301Image0027

I made Katie's chocolate mousse, which I sweetened with a pinch of stevia. I also added a drop of almond extract and some vanilla. Earlier this week I also made the Buckwheat Crispies, simply dehydrated buckwheat groats that had been soaked overnight, from Ani's Raw Food Kitchen, so I swirled some of those into the mousse, along with coconut flakes and banana slices. It was like a raw granola parfait! Kind of. I actually was a cheater according to Raw Foodist standards when I "dehydrated" the groats (I set my oven to a little below 200F and "baked" the water out for an hour, but it worked like a charm). Thanks for the awesome mousse recipe, Miss Katie!

Of course, I have to give you some latte art updates! Here are a few of my pours from this week:

lattetiles

(Never seen latte art before? This is how it is done, in case you are totally confused about the process.)

I seem to be improving. I have been able to pour a rosetta almost every time I have made an espresso beverage for myself this week (which is once or twice a day), yay! The rosettas aren't too great by professional standards, but I guess I have to start somewhere! ;)

Until next time, my friends...

42 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to try that recipe! Especially since I'm getting into seitan experimentation. I thought the VWAV reuben was amazing, can't wait to try this out! :) Love the latte art.

Anonymous said...

drool drool droooool

ive never had a pretty latte like that before!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Eh, cheat all you want! I'm sure the raw enthusiasts would forgive you, considering how good your raw parfait looks!

(Then again, that cooked reuben don't look so bad neither!)

Four entries for you, Ruby Red! I wish I could make it 1000 like you deserve!

Anonymous said...

Ooo I need to try those reubens!

Lovely latte art. :)

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

YUM!!!

Tami said...

I can't believe you found that seitan recipe! How awesome! I am a huge fan of reubens and use all the aspects of Isa's except the tempeh lately. I'm loving it with seitan, too.

Way to go!

nora said...

hey! the reuben looks delicious! good job :)

also, where do you get your stevia from? i used to get it from TJs as a pregan but theirs has milk powder in it i think..can you used stevia in baked goods or does it taste funky?

Anonymous said...

I've never had a reuben sandwich before! I will totally try that recipe out. Oh and thanks for the link to it, the other recipes look great too.

Isn't that mousse just fabulous?! It's so delicious, especially with blended barley and nut butter. Mmm. Love your idea for the buckwheat crispies, I used to live in AZ so it was easier to dehydrate but now I need the oven!

Anonymous said...

Very impressive latte art! I wish I could learn how to do that...

Lisa said...

Thanks for the links! I gotta check out the seitan recipe. Glad you found a version that was delicious.

Anonymous said...

Yum, both Reubens look delicious... but your bread is what's really making it for me :) Now I've got a sudden craving for sauerkraut!

Amy said...

Mmmm I want your sandwich!

PB and Jess said...

Mmm...your Ruben was awesome! I'll come over for another one anytime :) You latte art is looking great too btw.

ChickPea said...

yum! I love the Chicago Diner. I've only been there once, but next time I am definitely ordering the reuben!

Impressive latte art, my friend.

Virginia said...

you are so talented with the latte art!

i love the vwav reuben recipe. it is the only kind i have ever had. i never had a reuben as an omni!!

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

I much prefer seitan Reubens to tempeh ones. Next time you're in the LA area, you must try the Reuben at Follow Your Heart. It's my favorite!

allularpunk said...

i LOVE reubens! i have to hold myself back from making the one from VWAV every week, haha... i've never had one with seitan, but i bet it's totally amazing. your latte art is looking great!

Bianca said...

Veg News ran that recipe a while back in a section of recipes from famous vegan restaurants. I bookmarked it then, but now I have no idea what issue it's in.

I just bought the Ani book last week and I can't wait to try the Buckwheat Crispies. I was gonna borrow my parents' dehydrator, but I could cheat with the oven. :-)

Not Another Omnivore said...

the latte art is fabulous!

NAOmni

Anonymous said...

the reuben sandwich looks so amazing!
same goes for the oats

aTxVegn said...

I can only imagine how good that reuben sandwich tastes. You did an amazing job! And your lattes are very impressive!

Agnesss =) said...

Hey HEYooo Ruby!!!!!

OHH!!! I'm so HAPPY to see your comment on my blog!!!!!! I used to follow your blog all the time in my early vegan times but then somehow I lost the contact...=_( I'm sooo sorry bout it!!!! =_( But NOW I PROMISE I'll follow each of your YUMMY-licious POSTS!!!!!!!! HAh!!! I LOOOOVE your dining/eating experiences..!!
And RUEBEN SANDWICHES are one of my FAVOURITES!!!!! Mmmmmmmm...!!
I love enjoying the AVO/SAUERKRAUT combo!!!!!!!!!! It's DELISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =DDD

I always get jealous of all the wonderful VEGAN restaurants,bars, cafes etc...!!!!!!!!!! Here in Europe we don't have too many of them...=( And where I live here...there's none...=((( Well,I hope I'll be able to go to a restaurant like this in the future!!! =DD

Maybe also with YOU.....?!!! =DD
Would be COOOL,don't you think?! =D

Hope to hear from you soon!!!!!
Well,HAVE A GREAT TIME THERE!!

=))

edible forest said...

thanks for look my blog!
I love tempeh!!!
the last but one
is sarracen corn with chocolate?¿?

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

That is one awesome looking sarnie! I love the latte art too, very cool.

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

Awesome Reubenization! They both look delicious! The second one looks like you bought it from a specialty deli though. Amazing!

I've never heard of John Reuben. What a cool name, I want to have a food name!

CCV's chocolate mousse looks so good, and now I can't have it because of my soy abstinence. BOO!

Your rosettas keep getting prettier and prettier! Especially the second one on the top. Beautiful food art!

Thanks for your birthday and get well wishes, I will pretend that you didn't call me "little old lady"! :P

Hungry Hungry Dancer said...

Im soaking groats as we speak haha..

i wanna try those crispy treats!!!

Anonymous said...

I am so impressed with your latte art skills!!!! The top right photo is incredible! And fancy schmancy tempeh sammies? Open a cafe already and save me a seat please.

A.M. said...

I, too, am completely impressed with your latte art! and your chocolate mousse looks so yummy...

jb said...

Your latte art looks amazing! and yay for katie's chocolate mousse!

Erin said...

Your reubens sound great! I have been known to make a cheater's reuben with tofurkey slices, so good. And your latte art is definitely improving!

Megan said...

aww, your latte art is so pretty!! you are getting quite good.

loooooove the mousse.

Anonymous said...

hi ruby red,
i always LOVE reading your posts.. but can I ask for more breakfast items like you had a lot in the past, please? are you still making those delish waffles?
Thanks!

Unknown said...

yumm your sandwich looks AMAZING!
i've always been nervous about trying reubens..i'm not sure if i'm a fan of sourkraut..haha but i might have to try out that recipe.
enjoy your weekend!!

HEAB said...

Latte art - impressive. I love Katie and all of her recipes! Dehydrated buckwheat is so good and crunchy. I always cheat and do it my oven as well as my dehydrator is awful.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Kristen's Raw said...

Hey girl!
Just stopping by to say hi!

Cheers,
Kristen

jd said...

Very nice work on the latte art - you're almost ready to be in that huge barista competition (the name of it is escaping me right now...) that they have every year!

Also, I love how you said your sandwich was "90% as delicious" as the one they served at that diner - you're so refreshingly honest, I love it :)

Great post, as usual!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! I love your latte artwork! You’re doing quite well. Looking at them makes me want to work as a barista again! It’s so beautiful and I absolutely love the smell of coffee, especially freshly brewed espresso. Haha, I just took in a big breather. Haha.

The sandwich looks great! Remind me of papaya salad inside. It’s nice to experiment with different things and have it come out great.

What’d you mix in with CCV’s (err CC-Katie) pudding? Looks yummy.

Thanks for entering in the contest! Love reading interesting facts about people.

Anonymous said...

What a quick response! You're so good! It takes me forever to get back to ppl, but that's my fault. Anyway, I just visited Katie's site to see how to make the chocolate mousse. It seems very simple. thanks for the add on ideas. I'll add it on to recipe's I'd like to make. I have lot. haha.

You're going to go for professional barista training!? I'MS SO JEALOUS!! That sounds soOo amazing! I hope you have lots of fun and meet lots of people. I'd love to actually go to one of those conventions and championships! 6th place is VERY good. Your trainer must be an expert. Someday I hope to sign up for one and hopefully place (of course after more training). Ahh...that's a great dream....

Anonymous said...

Those lattes look so creamy. Woooah baby! And reubens, be still my heart. Love it all!

Anonymous said...

just fyi to any new yorkers who are jealous of this post as well - 'Snice in Brooklyn offers a similar sandwich on their menu now.

PB and Jess said...

Only about 13 hours til our next Chicago trip!! I'm sooo excited about Karyn's Raw and a repeat trip to the diner :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, delicious!!!!!!