Sunday, November 30, 2008

Two Winter Celebrations

It just so happens that there are two holidays I celebrate every November.

The first is Thanksgiving. As for the second? Ees my birthday!

cuppie01

My lovely friend made me special cupcakes for my birthday. Isn't she awesome? She has great decorating and baking skills, and she surprised me by combining all sorts of things I love into one cupcake: chocolate, coffee, and almonds. Here we have mocha cupcakes topped with almond butter buttercream, cocoa dusted almonds, chocolate ganache, and toasted almonds. Oh my goodness! These are the best cupcakes I have ever tasted. They tasted even better than my words can describe, and if you can believe it, even more delicious than they look in the pictures. I devoured most of them myself; was nice and shared three of them with others; and have one final cuppie waiting for me in my apartment freezer. I flew home to Texas for my birthday and Thanksgiving, but I am super excited to return to my apartment at school just so I can defrost my last birthday cupcake. Teehee.

I left school a little before Thanksgiving break really started so I could be home in time for my birthday. I went out with my sister and parents for lunch in Austin, Texas at Bouldin Creek Coffeehouse to celebrate. It's a funky vegan and vegetarian cafe downtown, pretty close to the University of Texas campus. I think the fam was a little bit scared off by the menu and the types of people at the cafe, but I loved my food and the alternative atmosphere!

2008_1127Image0002

I ordered the Oven Cakes Breakfast, vegan-style -- complete with black beans, vegan blueberry cornbread (with a ramekin of agave for drizzling), and an amazing tofu scramble! Check out this scramble, closer now:

2008_1127Image0003

It was noochy and delicious. I loved it a lot! Normally restaurant tofu scrambles don't impress me, but Bouldin Creek does a great job! The cornbread was absolutely lip-smacking too; despite what you'd think with the blueberries and all, this cornbread wasn't sweet in the slightest. The agave tasted perfect on it!

2008_1127Image0007

A few days later and it was Thanksgiving time! My immediate family eats out for Thanksgiving because I am the only cook, and no one else wants "my" food. This year they chose a local diner for the feasting spot, a place kinda like Denny's but for cowboys. I equipped myself beforehand with goodies from Whole Foods. I heated everything in the oven before we left for the diner and wrapped it up real good in foil and ceramic, and I whipped it out when everyone else received their meaty Thanksgiving meals at cowboy Denny's.

tg02

When it was time to order the food at the diner, I told the waitress I was a vegetarian and had brought my own meal. Once she saw my food, she was like, "That looks really good, actually." Actually?! Haha, it was kind of an insult and kind of a compliment. I guess she expected that something meat-free on Thanksgiving would be boring or gross. Nope, not on my watch.

I noshed on Celebration Field Roast, wild mushroom sage gravy, roasted butternut squash with spinach and cranberries, a rosemary sourdough roll (with a little container of Earth Balance!), and herb roasted beets. Oh wow, this was incredible!

On a day like Thanksgiving, I certainly couldn't forget about dessert! I planned ahead and got some Purely Decadent Snickerdoodle vegan ice cream to enjoy later that night (after seeing a movie with the family), and I whipped up the "You Got Peanut Butter in My Chocolate" Cookies from Eat, Drink & Be Vegan on a whim. I was nice enough to share the cookies with the others, but as for the ice cream? Well, it's deliciousness was something I decided to keep a vegan secret for now. The omnis don't know what they are missing (even though my sis was intrigued -- she loves Snickeroodles, even vegan ones!).

2008_1127Image0021

2008_1127Image0027

I hope everyone else had a happy Thanksgiving! I am upset that I have to go back and start studying for finals now. Ick, double and triple ick.


54 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!!!! That's awesome that your friend made you cupcakes; even if you hadn't shared the photo, I'd be jealous from the description alone...

You've been eating yummy food I see! The snickerdoodle ice cream and cookie combo sounds like a great weekend treat. How was the Field Roast?

Best of luck with your finals.

Anonymous said...

Happy BIrthday!!!
The cupcakes are so cute, that was so sweet of your friend!
WOah, I"m very jealous of that Snickerdoodle Ice Cream!!! Actually, I'm pretty much jealous of all the food I just saw in this post, especially the one from the vegan restaurant!!!
Good luck on your finals!

Virginia said...

everything looks awesome! yay for you bringing your own food to the restaurant...i wouldn't have the confidence to do that and probably would have just stayed home. =(

Anonymous said...

happy, happy birthday!!!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DEAR RUBY RED!!!

Daaaaamn, such sensational celebrations!! Fabulous.

BEST of luck on the studying and on the finals - rock 'em out, girl!!

**about your comment on my blog:

Not to sound pompous, but that'll teach you to consult me (the girl who drinks hempmilk 3 times per day) BEFORE making a purchase - I could have told you that ONLY Living Harvest is the worthy brand :-D

Lisa (Show Me Vegan) said...

Happy Birthday! Bouldin Creek is my favorite restaurant when I visit Austin. How do they make that scramble? Amazing. And I love that you took a wonderful Whole Foods meal out to eat with your family. Very impressive. I'm going to keep this strategy in mind. Good luck with finals!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I am so jealous of the cupcakes! =P

All of your food looks amazing! I love cornbread, so that huge chunk is calling my name...Ooo and that snickerdoodle ice cream is too! YUM!

Glad to know you had a good Thanksgiving and Good Luck on Finals!

Alicia said...

happy belated birthday! your friend was too sweet to make you perfect cupcakes. And I'm glad your thanksgiving food looked actually so good :-)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! Those cupcakes sound like heaven! And the resto meals are all fabulous-looking. Glad you and your family enjoyed!

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

Happy belated birthday!! Your friend ROCKS! Your birthday cupcakes look delicious and they are gorgeous! YAY!

Mashed tater rebellion! Your Thanksgiving dinner looks amazing, I bet it was the best looking plate in the whole diner! Take that, meat-eating, cowboy-Denny's lovers!

Good luck with your icky finals!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, girl! And if you're family doesn't want you to cook for them, I will GLADLY allow you to cook for me. ;)

VeganView said...

Happy Birthday! This was such a fun post to read. Sounds like a couple of great holidays and awesome job on that Thanksgiving"takeout" meal, looks amazing! And how cool about those cupcakes? Scrumptious!

Sarah P said...

happy (belated) birthday! what an awesome friend you have!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Happy Birthday!

Holy amazingness, there's so much good food to comment on (as is usually the case with your posts). I bet you were the envy of the entire restaurant. Why are people always amazed when vegan food looks/tastes good?

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Haha we were posting on each others' blogs at the exact same time!

Bianca said...

How cool of cowboy Denny's to let your bring your own food in. I love it when omni restaurants are nice like that. Maybe they'll realize if they offered a vegan selection, they'd get a bit more business. Glad you had a happy Thanksgiving!

Oh, and happy belated birthday! The cuppies are GORGEOUS!

allularpunk said...

happy happy birthday! those cuppies looks amazing! and so does your thanksgiving dinner. that's awesome that the restaurant didn't mind that you brought your own food :) it's true though...omnis really don't know what they're missing out on with our vegan eats and treats. good luck on your finals!

Emily said...

I really want to try that snickerdoodle ice cream! I haven't seen it at my grocery store yet. I'm glad the restaurant let you eat your food there; I know a lot of places won't let outside food in because of "health code violations." Which may or may not be BS, I don't really know....

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday sweetie! Your eats look amazing! I'm sort of surprised they let you bring your own food into the restaurant - that's very cool.

Unknown said...

happy happy birthday! your cupcakes look so delicious and pretty! :)
snickerdoodle soy ice cream!?! i didnt know they had that flavor..i must find itttt! haha

n/a said...

Happy birthday! You and I sound a lot alike, with bringing your own food and eating being the first thing on your mind when you get home! :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! Those cupcakes look delicious :)

Rose said...

I've never been to Boulder Creek Cafe yet, but it looks awesome! I had no idea they had vegan food.

Happy belated birthday!

Anonymous said...

hey Ruby Red!
You have a super cool blog and I love learning more about vegan eats! Love your outlook and happy birthday! Yay cupcakes!! I used to eat the hostess ones with the chocloate smoothe icing and the little white loopy swirls. Oh my they were good, but as I think back I'm like oooh dear. :) hehe

Anonymous said...

happy bday and thanksgiving!! the food and the restaurant seem so good!

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

the cupcakes look gorgeous. I really want one of those pb/choc cookies as well now, yum.

Vegan_Noodle said...

First of all.. happy belated birthday!! Those cupcakes do look really awesome. I love the thought of adding almond butter to buttercream!

And way to go you for bringing your own Thanksgiving meal to the restaurant.

I need to try Bouldin Creek next time I'm in Austin!

jd said...

Happy, HAPPY birthday!!

I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving, as well :)

aTxVegn said...

Happy Birthday! You could have run into my son at Bouldin - he loves to eat there a lot!

Jemima said...

happy birthday!! i'm new to the world of veggie blogging and just came across yours - tis going straight on my favourites list on my blog XD
yummy food all round - i wish we got half the stuff in britain that you guys do in america xxxx

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday! Hope it was a good one. :)

tofufreak said...

ooh wow. those cupcakes sound and look so amazing.

Bouldin Creek Coffeehouse food looks superyum! methinks the tofu scramble is calling to me :)

i love your thanksgiving meal! it all looks great!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

I'm with you, Miss Red. I will savor the Attune bars I've already bought, but after that, I'm not buying any more. The company saw my blog review and asked if I'd like some free dark chocolate bars (the ones that'll remain vegan) if I did another review, but I declined. Sell-out company!

Oh well, luckily there are lotsa other, GOOD companies out there :o)

Halie said...

Those cupcakes look incredible! Oh and your Oven Cakes Breakfast looks too delicious for words!

Good for you for bringing your own food to a restaurant! I've never done that before - I just don't eat out!

Thanks for sharing!

Bex said...

Happy Belated Birthday! everything looks delicious. Especially those cuppers!

PB and Jess said...

I'm really glad you liked the cupcakes :) I'll make em for you again anytime! I'm glad we got to celebrate your bday in St. Louis.

Can't wait for our Whole Foods trip tonight!

Anonymous said...

Wow, your Thanksgiving meal looks delicious! I especially like your choice of dessert - simple yet decadent cookies and ice cream. We recently tried So Delicious Snickerdoodle ice cream, and it was to die for!

Praying for you on your finals, LK

Anonymous said...

Sorry for the much-delayed response, but Happy Birthday! Everything in this post looks fantastic, and that ice cream... WOW!!

Becka Robinson said...

WHAT? Snickerdoodle ice cream? Holy crap!

Ps...Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

i love everything about this post- the cupcakes, the breakfast, the ice cream, and those cookie!!! i am jealous of what you've been eating. haha i love purely decadent ice cream. the blueberry cheesecake is my favorite.

Erin said...

Happy belated birthday! Your birthday treats and Thanksgiving meal look delicious.

Anonymous said...

looks like some fabulous birthday food! especially the cupcakes!

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

happy birthday! everything looks perfect, I'm especially into that blueberry cornbread, yum! and don't worry, I know what you're talking about with cupcakes that defy description, I think it's a cupcake thing and I'm glad you enjoyed so many of them yourself. ;)

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Ruby Red!!! Your meals "actually" always look delish to me! Lovin the squash!!

emma said...

those are probably the most delicious cupcakes i have ever seen

Sarah said...

really belated Happy Birthday!! Those cupcakes look decadent, so amazing.

I was thinking of making those peanut butter cookies a few weeks ago, but I settled for Isa's thumbprint jam cookies as it looked like less time to make em. haha. But yours look scrumptious, maybe this will be tonights study break.

Good luck with finals!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday!

That's awesome that your friend whipped up those AMAZING cupcakes!!

And how yummy have your eats been! That snickerdoodle ice cream is my FAVE! And I'm totally with you on not sharing this piece of heaven with family members.. lol.

Good luck with finals!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Oh yes, please can we be twins! (Then maybe we’d have a better chance of attracting those hot, rich, vegan twin boys!)

Yay I’m so glad you liked the raspberry Nectar! I’ve actually been neglecting them lately in favor of those jocalat bars (the plain chocolate ones are my fave), heated in the microwave for like 15 seconds. Ay de mi, it tastes like a brownie (but better, because I didn’t have to slave in front of a hot oven to make it!).

urban vegan said...

Looks like you had a decadent holiday. Happy belated b'day. As a Pisces, I'm supposed to get along great with Scorpios like you.

Anonymous said...

WOO Happy Birthday, girl!! How SWEET of your friend to make you those cupcakes...DElish. Okay, I've decided that the next time I take a little trip up to Whole Foods, I'm caving in and buying that Snickerdoodle ice cream! Everytime you mention it, my mouth waters!! Those are my FAVORITE type of Christmas cookie, so I know I'll love it...The only problem is trying to make it last more than a day, haha. Thanks for the sweet comment you left me, girl...I hate being a "debbie downer" in posts, but you're right...it DOES help to just type it all out and get it off my chest! Next week my finals will be over and a HAPPY post will come :) GOOD LUCK on all of your finals...you'll do GREAT!!

Sheree' said...

Happy Birthday! I know you will do fine on your finals!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!! dude, those pix are stunning.

i hope finals are going/went well.

russ said...

those cupcakes look amazing! your friend must've been one very proud chef after finishing up on them!! Hope you had a great birthday!

Anonymous said...

Snickerdoodle! I have never heard of this one my husband would love this so much!