Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Vegan Pre-Thanksgiving Feast!

I am so lucky to have a good friend who is also a vegan. She was the mastermind behind the idea of a vegan pre-Thanksgiving dinner. We wanted to be able to have a decent feast before we both left town to pursue family holiday events... So we invited an adventurous crowd over to her place of residence and made a bunch of awesome vegan food.

Wanna know what we made? Okay, here goes!

(1). Apple Ginger Seitan from
The Post Punk Kitchen



Words from me to you: You. Must. Make this recipe.



(2). The Best Vegan Mac and Cheese in the Entire World from
VegWeb

My friend actually adds her own secret touches to this, so it's even yummier. This is actually a picture of leftovers, because it was hard to take good photos at the real feast. On the plate, you can also see the (3) maple-roasted Brussels sprouts and (4) roasted butternut squash from the dinner.



Visible here are some traditional (5) mashed potatoes (and the pot o' butternut squash), but it is pretty hard to see the rest of the spread.



Here's my plate (and bowl) from the actual dinner. (Oh, yes, there were seconds.) In the bowl is the (6) Sweet Potato Chili from Eat, Drink & Be Vegan minus the lentils. Going clockwise, at 1 o'clock are the roasted Brussels sprouts; the mac and cheese is at 5 o'clock; at 6 o'clock we have apple ginger seitan; roasted butternut squash is from 8 to 9 o'clock; and the mashed taters are at 11.



One of my favorite sides of the night was my friend's (7) Sweet Potato Biscuits. It's one of her grandma's recipes, but her family all agrees that the biscuits are better veganized. Score!



We didn't forget dessert, don't worry!



(My friend is on the left, and I'm on the right, for your curious minds' information.)

(8). Pumpkin Pie Brownies from
The Post Punk Kitchen





We also made the (9) Sparkled Ginger Cookies from Vegan with a Vengeance and had 'em with glasses of ricemilk. Secret Tip: these cookies come out even better if you refrigerate the dough overnight! These little sparkly guys were yum, yum, yummy.

The entirely vegan dinner was a hit, even though my friend and I were the only vegans there. So, by popular request, we are in the planning stages of a pre-Christmas feast. Yay!


 

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a feast! Hooray for vegan friends.

Anonymous said...

I don't even know where to start!!! It all looks amazing. I already have the seitan and mac bookmarked for later yummy-ness. Plus the brownies and the cookies sound delectable. Why wasn't I invited?!? haha

Lisa (Show Me Vegan) said...

That's so awesome that your feast was a hit! Have a great holiday.

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

Fabulous idea! I've been thinking of doing the same next year. :) You're way ahead of me!

Anonymous said...

That's so awesome that you did a vegan feast for your no nvegan friends! Everything looks amazinG! Especially those pumpkin brownies- yummy!

Sara said...

soooooooo tasty! now i REALLY wish I could have come! Maybe I could snag an invite to the pre-christmas feast...hint...hint? I promise to bring a dish...or two...or three ;) Hope you're having a wonderful time with your family and get some decent eats for Turkey day.

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

Holy vegan feast! Everything looks so delicious and festive! The sweet potato biscuits sound so good, I must have them!

PS: You are such a cutie pie! :)

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

AMAZING FEEEEEEEAST!!! Ruby Red, I wish we could have a Thanksgiving meal together - you can do the cooking, I can baking :-D

allularpunk said...

simply fabulous. i would love to have a giant vegan get together... alas, only my boyfriend is vegan with me. you guys did a wonderful job of spreading the vegan love!

Unknown said...

wow it all looks SOO delicious! i'm jealous haha wish i were going to have that much vegan food to choose from for thanksgiving! so cool you have such a nice vegan friend with ya though :)

Anonymous said...

I wish I had a vegan friend over here too! That feast has my mouth WATERING, girl! I can't even pick my favorite...those brownies look especially amazing...of course I would pick the sweet food ;0) Have a wooonderful Thanksgiving!!

tofufreak said...

that sounds like so much fun! and everything looks amazing :D you're lucky you have a veg friend like her :D

can't wait to see the pre-Christmas dinner ;)

aTxVegn said...

That is one amazing vegan feast! Thanks for the tip about the ginger cookies. Those are one of my alltime faves.

Rose said...

Sounds divine! You're so lucky to have a vegan friend :)

ChickPea said...

I am so jealous of all that delicious looking food! It makes me wish one of my friends were vegan too:)

Anonymous said...

I'm not surprised it was a hit, what a beautiful spread.

Anonymous said...

That really does look like an amazing spread! The seitan sounds fantastic, and I've heard so many good things about those brownies! Glad it was a hit--can't wait to see what you cook up for Christmas!

Alicia said...

WOW, you left me without words. All food looks amazing! you and your friend organized a great feast!

Bianca said...

Oh damn, why wasn't I invited? Just kidding. I would have loved a big plate of seitan and brussels though...oh and few pieces of pumpkin brownie.

Anonymous said...

All the food seems amazing, what a great party!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Can your next get-together be in Dallas? Pretty please?

Anonymous said...

come cook for me? please?

Hungry Hungry Dancer said...

what a cute idea! and your feast looks to die for!!! hope your dinner was wonderful!

Unknown said...

A lovely vegan feast! Your photos are always so amazing. You have a god eye.
Hope you had a great holiday!

Unknown said...

I meant good eye, LOL!

Nicole said...

Wow! This is one IMPRESSIVE spread!

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving! That sounds like it must have been one incredible feast.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, those all look gorgeous! You guys are so cute in that pic. :)

Emma said...

That all looks soooo good! I love the look of those pumpkin pie browinies! It is really hard to find canned pumpkin here in the Uk but next time I see some I am gonna buy lods of cans because I keep seeing great recipes using it!

Vic Robinson said...

those brussel sprouts look really good.