Here be the hungry girls.
Meet Sara. She's on the left.
We end up here.
OR Smoothie & Cafe.
This be the food.
I am quite a bad girl for even showing you this photo. This shop is run by Asian ladies... And there are signs all over the inside of the place saying "No cameras" and "No cell phones." I don't quite understand why, but maybe it has something to do with feng shui. Could anyone enlighten me? Anyway, I took a picture even though I was in a no-cameras-allowed zone. It's all for you guys, all for you. :)
Anyway, I got the Vegan Burger with vegan cheese (the nacho flavor of Vegan Gourmet, which actually tastes awesome) and carrot stick fries. They make the veggie burger patties in house, and they are amazing. Exquisite. They are so wonderfully good I constantly crave them. This is saying a lot, because when I go out I never, ever order veggie burgers -- I mistakenly thought they all tasted the same (think frozen Boca burger).
The great thing about this particular deli is that the word "Vegan" is also another thing that is plastered all over the walls, and further even, this deli is really into all things organic and above all, healthy. There may be processed vegan cheese on my burger, but I always feel so healthy and at peace after I gobble this thing up.
And whaddaya know? Another day, the same two girls get hungry again.
Must. stop. the. pain.
So we solved the problem and got some more food, somewhere else this time.
Here be the goods.
I know I said I'm not a veggie burger girl, but ever since my infatuation developed with OR's veggie burger I have this compulsion where I must try every homemade vegan burger patty in this darn city. I'm not a big vegan cheese user either, but hey, it came with the burger. (And the vegan cheese was good after all.)
Above is the Chili Cheddar Burger with wee grapies from VegaDeli, a brand new all-vegan deli in town. 'Tis pretty cool. They have 4-ish entrees a day, and they switch up the offerings and there is something different every day you go in there. They do have a "McVegan" sandwich, with mozzarella Teese and a tofu "egg" and a vegan sausage patty. And...get this: It tastes healthy! And freaking awesome! At the same time. The Chili Cheddar Burger was really good, though I like OR Smoothie & Cafe's patty a tad better. I would still eat this again, though. If they offered it again. But they probably won't, because everything is different every day. If I had to guess, I would say the cheese is cheddar Teese.
Here's me with the food. I had a cornbread muffin too, but it is on Sara's plate. You'll have to check out her post (if she makes one) if you wanna see her goods, so I won't spoil the surprise. Thanks for exploring with me, Sara! I have lots of fun hanging out with you. :)
44 comments:
Yum! I feel so special that you took a picture in a "no camera" zone, just for us:) That burger looks like it was worth the risk though!
I am jealous of all your vegan-friendly restaurants and tasty food!
Yummy! That looks like a very tasty burger!
YUM! My favorite part of this post is the last picture with the Thank You on the garbage can rightnext to your face. So cute.
I know what you mean about all the signs in OR! I was a little confused about them. I hear they are opening a new OR in the Central West End but don't know when. And I really want to try Vegadeli, but it's so far away! Thanks for the burger reviews, they look delish.
I love that last pic of you especially. And look at that big hunk of cheeze! Yumlicious!!!
You are my kind of girl, in re: chocolate. My mom and I buy the Endangered Species in the DARKEST variety in which it comes. That's what I love about the Jocalat bars, too; they don't taste sweet to me at all (especially the plain chocolate flavor or the coffee chocolate one). I feel like sugar just gets in the way of the chocolate taste (which, we know, is the only REAL important flavor that needs to stand out).
I love it when you two meet up for vegan eats!! So fun :-)
I don't like veggies burgers out of a box as well so that freshly made one sounds delicious!!! I can't believe you get to go to so many good vegan restaurants! I'm jealous.
That top burger does look great (you naughty thing for taking that photo!) ;) I'm not much of a burger gal, but I might make an exception for that one! So lucky to have so many choices. . .
im not that big of a fan either when it comes to veggie burgers, but it's great that you were able to have delicious ones!
And thanks for breaking the 'no camera' rule.. we appreciate it! :-)
How fun! I usually don't order a veggie burger either, but if they're as good as you say they are then it's cool :)
Wow, everything looks great. And I do wonder about the no-camera thing.
Mmmm, the first thing I saw on both of those burgers was the cheeeze! I just started my own blog a few days ago and I decided try to go completely raw for a few days, butttt one look at that tantalizing faux cheeze could be what throws me off the wagon!! yumm.
I love hanging out with you too! especially tonight! Yum! Hope you make it through your last final painlessly. lets definitely try to meet up again before christmas. Also, do you have Jess's email address? I want to send her my fudge recipe. I can send it to you too if you want.
Mmmm I'm definitely a veggie burger fan. I wish I had ones like those here! Yum!
I'm from St.louis and I haven't been back since that VegaDeli opened! You really hit the ground running and found the good spots!
bahh!! that looks like so much fun!!!!! :D i wish i had a veggie blog buddy to go out and eat with!!! :)
Mmmm...those veggie burgers at OR really are THE BEST!! I haven't tried one at VegaDeli yet. I'm glad you didn't get caught taking that pic, haha. Hope to see you again before we both leave for vacation :)
You are too cute!! You broke the law for the sake of your readers! That's hard core stuff! :D
The burgers look so super yummy! YAY! Food looks good again!
Cheddar Teese! I didn't even know they made that yet. Awesome! I wish I could get the Nacho FYH here. We have the other 3 flavors, but not nacho.
And so weird about the camera rule. I wonder what they're afraid of. Their food looks delicious. You're such a Rebel, Ruby Red!
wow! I think I need to move to your town!
It all looks SOO delicious!
I've had some really delicious veggie burgers, and then some really disappointing ones. My most recent delicious encounter was with a tofu burger from a surprising source - big chunks of firm tofu, perfectly seasoned! Yummy!
Hooray for blogger friends and yummy vegan restaurants!
I am seriously jealous of all of that great food!
Looks like you and your blogger buddy had an awesome time being hungry vegans together :)
Cool!
Those fresh made burgers really look good. You should definitely keep ordering them. And thanks for sneaking a picture!
I've been to Vegadeli a few times now and haven't been disappointed yet. My omni boyfriend even enjoys it, particularly the blueberry muffins and pine nut burger. They were supposed to have a vegan New Years party with vegan chefs and musicians but poor response caused them to cancel :(
Wow!! That looks like an awesome burger! The only veggie burgers in the area that I like are Ruby Tuesdays, hold the cheese (because I don't think that's vegan). There aren't many vegan restaurants in my area. I am SO envying you!!
Those burgers look absolutely delicious, I'm jealous!
wow, that OR burger looks so delicious! i am glad you got a picture on the sly ;)
i am the same way, skeptical of veggie burgers. i love it when they end up being homemade and not just factory brand burgers out of the freezer. SUCH A DIFFERENCE. we are spoiled in los angeles, a lot of places make their own veggie burgers. when i go somewhere that uses boca burgers, i know right away and am VERY disappointed.
thanks for reading my blog as well, i love your comments! :) adding you to my blogroll.
your pix are amazing.
I'm not much of a fan of veggie burgers either unless they're home made - so many in restaurants are vile. Those look ace.
I had heard that the signs at OR were because the transmissions from cell phones disrupt/damage the enzymes in the products they sell. I'm not so sure about the cameras though...
Hey Ruby Red! Love the post and that veggie burger looks awesome. I am such a wimp since I don't like onions or garlic, but wow that looks pretty awesome. So love your blog, girl! Have a fun day! My new blog is a combo of life, yoga, and food. Email me anytime! :)
What?! You mean you don’t eat green dishware? Gosh girl, you are missing out on so many essential nutrients; it’s a wonder you’re still alive ;o). And RRV, you NEED to come to Dallas! Well, actually, can we plan a meet-up in NYC or California instead? They seem much more vegan-friendly… plus the weather in Cali sounds very appealing right now.
that burger looks so good its makin' me hungry!
MMMMMM
I gave you a blog award! You can check out the details on my blog.
I just saw your banner on flickr and love it!
your foods are making me hungry, like whoa.
wow!!! the new layout looks awesome! I hope tomorrow works out. I could seriously use some whole foods action after tonight. My mom is making a very non-vegetarian feast. Remind me to tell you about it the next time I see you. One word...Sweedish meatballs. ;)
Hey ruby!
As for your question about the thinkFruit bar.. the peanut goji glow was DELICIOUS. Definitely try that flavor, though I'm not really familiar with other flavors.
Yay for Chicago Diner cookies at WF! Yea, I was not able to find Oatmeal Raisin flavor at my store, I had to buy this bad boy from the Chicago Diner itself.
And yes, layering DEFINITELY helps in this type of weather, lol. Have a great week! :-)
OMG I didn't realize you are in st.louis! I just noticed because of your mention of OR and the new deli!! I am in Columbia...we should have a get-together with Show Me Vegan and Veg'n Cooking, who is also in Columbia!
Merry Christmas, my Ruby Red friend!
P.S. I love the new blog title picture thingy :o)
Merry Christmas!
geez, girl. you love your burgers!!!
i take pictures everywhere, too!!! i don't care what anybody says. i remember i was in the grocery store a few months back and an employee said "no pictures allowed in here. this is a 'concept' store." what on earth does that mean??!?! haha i had no clue so i continued to snap ridiculous pictures.
hoep you had a nice christmas!!!
Hey! I'm glad you liked the cookies, they're a favorite of mine as well. Did you have a nice christmas with your family? Get that espresso grinder? I got a kitchen aid stand mixer!!! I'm in bakers heaven! Talk to you after break ;)
hey! when are you going to grace us with a new post?!
but yeah, bianca's recipes are awesome! you'll definitely have to buy her cookbook when it comes out...on sunday i tested her country-fried tempeh steak (i'm gonna blog it soon!) and it was amazing. all my dad's omnivore football friends loved it!
and yes, you do need to make tiramisu cupcakes...you won't regret it i promise!
p.s. did you ever find the moroccan dry olives? i found mine at a middle-eastern market, haji baba..
Post a Comment