Tuesday, September 30, 2008

There must be five spices in heaven.



Does anyone else out there have major problems making tofu?

I am sure I have made tofu a hundred different ways since I became a vegetarian, but only a handful of my attempts have come out just right. Among the few winners are the tofu in the famous General Tao's Tofu recipe on vegweb.com, Em's tofu from the Gliding Calm blog (which I still mess up 66% of the time), and Veganomicon's Broiled Tofu, and any kind of scrambled tofu is an easy way out of the whole press-marinate-and-bake mess. I have gone through many, many tofu losers -- they just usually don't make their way to the blog. But that's not what this post is about!!!

I am here to tell you that you don't have to go through the trouble anymore. You don't have to kick yourself for trying a new recipe that yields mediocre tofu. Here's your new best friend:



Meet Mr. Five-Spice Tofu. This is the same stuff served at Pei Wei Asian Diner (where I worked this summer!) and P.F. Chang's China Bistro (in their heavenly vegetarian lettuce wraps).

Five-spice tofu is amazing -- if you have an international food store nearby, this tofu is worth seeking out! You're not going to find it at any normal grocery store; not even Whole Foods carries it. Also look for the words "dry tofu" or "dry spiced tofu" or just "five-spice" on the package, as I believe there are multiple brands of this tofu.

It is already pressed and baked, and it is absolutely delicious. Instantly delicious. The texture is just fabulous, and its appearance rocks too: The outsides of the tofu are browned, so that when you cut it into slices, the edges are darker and the insides are light. So cool!




I used up this block pretty quickly. First, I made General Tao's Tofu, from vegweb.com. I made double of what you see on the plate and I took half to bring for lunch at school the next day!



Next, I finally made a recipe from the Native Foods Restaurant Cookbook, the Gandhi Bowl. I have eaten this for two nights in a row, it's so good! Now I'm sad all my five-spice tofu is gone.



I made it yesterday with buckwheat soba noodles and tonight with brown rice. I also included baked sweet potatoes, steamed broccoli, wild curry sauce, and pan-fried five-spice tofu, garnished with raisins and scallions.


I ordered the Gandhi Bowl at the actual Native Foods restaurant, but I have to say, the sauce I made myself was even more incredible than I remember having in California! Here's a picture of how the restaurant did it (they served it with tempeh):



According to the menu, Native Foods' Gandhi Bowl consists of jasmine and brown rice, steamed veggies and blackened tempeh topped with cranberries and wild curry sauce. The ingredients that really make the sauce pop are coconut milk, maple syrup, and curry powder -- there are definitely a lot more ingredients to it, but I am purposefully leaving their names out. Buy the cookbook!!! It's worth it. Or just visit Native Foods in California, like I did this summer (twice). I love that place.




Just for kicks, here's another tofu photo (although not the five-spice kind).



There's a brand new Whole Foods in town, and it is incredible. The Asian station serves Szechuan tofu (I will try this soon) and Kung Pao tofu (my choice). I took it to go, and enjoyed it with some kale salad as my family chomped on steak and French fries at a local diner. I think my food was better! The smell of the sauce reminded me of something I've had before, a long time ago, but I can't put a finger to it. Here are the ingredients, if you're curious:




And I should mention that the whole reason I ordered this entree was because it came with peanuts (Kung Pao entrees are usually known for this). Guess what they forgot to put with my tofu? Peanuts. Ughhh. Oh well. I still love you, Whole Foods.

Let me know if you find and buy the five-spice tofu. I would love to hear what you think of it!
 

48 comments:

Anonymous said...

Send me some of that 5 spice tofu! It sounds so amazingly delicious...I love all different types of marinades for my tofu, and it would be so much easier if it just came that way =p

Anonymous said...

That looks INSAANNNNEEEE! There is no chance i would find that to fu (heehee) here, so I guess dreaming about it will have to suffice.

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

OMG they SELL the Pei Wei tofu??? In STORES?! (Or did you buy it online? PLEASE say you bought it online!!!)

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

GORGEOUS FOOD PHOTOS!!!

Animal-Friendly said...

I've gotta find some of that five-spice tofu! It looks and sounds amazing and I love the flavor of five spice powder. Both of the dishes you made with it look great and the Kung Pao Tofu from Whole Foods has my mouth watering!

Anonymous said...

geez, all these pictures make me wanna cook tofu now! that one tempeh plate looked so good- i just love those crazy chopsticks shoved through it! and even though you have a tough time with tofu, this recipe is the BEST tofu recipe I have ever had. It's Dreena Burton's and it never lasts longer than a day in my house because I eat the whole thing.

http://acupofjoanna.blogspot.com/2008/08/wah-wah-wah.html

Anonymous said...

Hm, that sounds like such a time-saver! Tofu can be a pain in the butt to cook sometimes... I find that it really makes a difference if you take the time to squeeze out the excess water though. That's what usually prevents me from getting a good sear on it.

Lisa (Show Me Vegan) said...

Thanks for the tofu review! And making more recipes from the Native Foods cookbook is on my to do list. I haven't made the Ghandi Bowl but you inspired me to move it to the top of the list!

Anonymous said...

I love five-spice anything, so I'm sure I'd enjoy this. And it does look so pretty with the darker edge and lighter interior!

Anonymous said...

As a tofu FREAK, I am in love with this post.
Must. Find. Tofu.... :)

~Erin @ "Vegan & the City"

Vaala ◪ said...

That five-spice tofu looks and sounds delicious. Actually, all your tofu dishes look amazing...but then again I adore tofu and never really have too much trouble cooking it.

tofufreak said...

I love 5 spice tofu! i've been eating it since like birth!

the way we usually fix it up goes something like this:

1 pkg 5 spice tofu
drizzle sesame oil
drizzle chili soy paste (sort of like a thickened soy sauce by kikkoman i think; asian grocery stores carry it)
chopped green onions
sriracha to taste

mix together, serve and enjoy!! ehehe super easy and yummy :)

i didn't know pf changs used this kind! hahaha this opens up all sorts of horizons now!

your dishes look super yummy =D

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I've got to find that tofu immediately.. every single one of your dishes look incredible! Too bad you can't send some my way!!

ChickPea said...

Oooh everything looks soo yummy. I am quite the tofu fan, so I am excited about this new kind you mentioned. I might have to make a trip to the Asian grocery store when I am at home...

Emma said...

mmm I love tofu!

Your meals all look really yummy! It is nice to make extra so you know you have a delicious lunch the next day- I bet the flavours all marinate really nicely together overnight!

It is brilliant that you wer able to recreate (and even improve) the dish you ate in a restaurant, I would love to be able to do that!

Anonymous said...

Your dishes look quite impressive!

Anonymous said...

to fu or not to fu?
who forgets peanuts, by the way? bad WF, bad.

Alicia said...

It sounds amazing! I have problems cooking tofu myself. Last weekend I baked it for a long time and it came out quite good. One of the best ones I've made. Of course, if I could just buy that one, my life would be a little easier ;-)

A.M. said...

I can eat oatmeal straight out of the container and like it...

Your gandhi bowl looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one whose had a hell of a lot of tofu failures!

So thats what they use at Pei Wei? No wonder its always so good! I need to find that tofu! :)

Anonymous said...

Mm, sounds yummy!! I've definitely had trouble making tofu in the past...but I absolutely LOVE Pei Wei and P.F. Chang's, so I'm sure I could finally make something satisfactory if I find these five spices!!

donesmoking said...

looks so yum! :)
i'm gonna try and find it at my local asian market.

russ said...

yep, definitely had my fair share of disappointing tofu! That looks like a great alternative - although I always feel like I'm "cheating" somehow, by not doing it myself! Stupid i know!

Vegan_Noodle said...

That tofu is worth a trip out to Chinatown!

aTxVegn said...

My Asian market sells what sounds like the same type of tofu, only it's called DRIED tofu. It's great - no freezing, thawing, pressing, etc.

Anonymous said...

OMG - I have to find that stuff! I'm always too afraid to cook tofu myself, but that bag makes it soooo easy!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

You are a genius! Why didn't I ever think to just go into Pei Wei and ask for a side of tofu?!

Hungry Hungry Dancer said...

all of your tofu dishes look beautiful!!!!
i know hemp milk is crazy expensive... what do you use it in.. im not sure i like it over my cereal!

Anonymous said...

that tofu looks frickin' awesome. and your pix really do it justice. i am beyond jealous.

Anonymous said...

5 spice rules!! All your tofu dishes are making me so hungry. I don't actually make tofu dishes very often, but I do find that frying it (unfortunately) always turns out well, but baking it & stuff is sometimes a disappointment.

Bianca said...

I love how it's called "To Fu." Asian products are so cute! And I do love the tofu at Pei Wei and PF Chang's! Good stuff!

Paula said...

oh wow! this all looks so good! that tofu looks awesome and now I miss native foods a lot!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Actually, I think it’s awesome you haven’t made up your mind yet about who you’ll vote for. So many of my friends and aquaintances just vote for the Democratic or Republican, even though they wouldn’t be able to tell you a single thing about their “beloved” candidate! They’re simply a Democrat or Republican because that’s the way they grew up. I’m definitely with you—I think it’s best to learn about the candidates and then vote for the best man (or woman!!!) for the job!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I'm pretty tofu-phobic, but that all looks tasty.

Sheree' said...

Nope, not here. I have not seen it before, but with 5 spice it has to be good.

I have learned to keep frozen tofu on hand. I bring firm tofu home from the store, drain it, press it, and wrap it in the serving sizes I want. Then when I defrost it I press it again. This gives it a wonderful texture and it soaks up the marinade wonderfully.

When I fry it I always coat it in corn starch. It seems to work perfect for me. Always a great sear.

Keep bringing us thes amazing dishes.

Anonymous said...

Wow Ruby Red! You have me DROOLING. That looks amazing. (And, hey, thanks for the shout out too lady!!) I seriously want to visit Native Foods. I'm going to look out for some of those new brands of tofu...(I miss having an asian foods store nearby that sells so many varieties!)... I really only know and make mine one way- the Gliding Calm style, because it ALWAYS comes out delicious for me (sorry your having troule with it! :( ), and I am nervous to try something new!!

By the way, I meant to thank you SO SO SO SO SO SO SO much for your tempeh recipe!!!! Actually since you commented with it, I have been looking for tempeh in the stores, but can't find it anymore (the TJ's didn't restock to a molding/rotting problem!?)...so originally I was just going to try it your way and give you a shout out...and say THANK YOU THANK YOU....hence my delay. I am still looking for tempeh though, still craving tempeh, and still waiting to try your recipe! So thank you again!!!

Have a great weekend!!!!! :)

Sara said...

hey! tonight was a blast. I'm so glad we got to meet up again, especially for such delicious vegan food. Your friends were awesome too. Hope we can do it again soon.
p.s. I think the tofu with peas in the reddish sauce was my favorite. How about you?

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

LOLOLOL you are TOO funny! I'd definitely rather be chocolate-covered vegan than mud-covered vegan. Chocolate is much yummier... although I can't say I've actually ever tasted mud.

VeganCowGirl said...

Aren't five spices amazing!!!!??? I have never tried the pre-made tofu, but it looks like something to check out for sure!

Great photos, great post! Thanks for the inspiration.

Who doesn't love chinese food????

Kary said...

wow I think I've seen this 5 spice tofu on a health food store here in Puerto Rico, They sell lots of foods with that kind of chinnese or whatever letters on it and re vegan =D

thanks, if i foind them i'll try it...it seems so tasty ^_^

the same happens to me with tofu..i can only try them on stir fry and scrambled...the more experienced and familiarized i got with tofu will take me to do a better baked marinated tofu i guess =D

Anonymous said...

Everything looks amazing! I want to find that tofu!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Haha if you say it fast, it sounds like "Peter Pan" cakes ;o)

Unknown said...

omg that looks AMAZINGG! whole foods is wonderous haha.

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

I have had some tofu success & failure as well! We've started eating fresh tofu & it tastes good no matter what! The 5 spice sounds lovely though.

PB and Jess said...

Seems like I need to borrow that cookbook from you...the Gandhi Bowl looks amazing! And we need to make another trip out to Global Foods to get more 5-spice tofu! Did you ever try the tofu cutlet?

Sara said...

Hey! It was so good (and random) running into you this weekend. Hope you and Jess had a nice time. Anyway, this weekend has ended up being much fuller than I expected. sorry about that. How about if we talk/email over the weekend and set up a night next week to meet at OR? Hope that works. By the way, I posted about the vegan buffet and I realized we never got a photo of us together! We have to remember next time. ;)

Lindsay (Happy Herbivore) said...

I love five spice!
I love Native Foods!
I love RRV!

xox

lauren ikon said...

where'd you get that tofu, dude?