I meant: All the vegan food you can eat. Indian style.
Sara some non-bloggers but Very Important People friends, and I met up at a local Indian restaurant for a vegan buffet. In her post about it, Sara summed up the event's cause: "some weird vegetarian/Ghandi/peace-love-animals thing...yes I went to an event for a cause I can't even explain just to eat the vegan food...don't think less of me!" Those are her words, but I felt the same way about it!
I have eaten at Indian restaurants my fair share of times before, but this place was the best Indian I have had, ever. Normally this place's menu is not completely vegan (it is a totally vegetarian restaurant, but they really love to cheese/dairy up their food), so we'll just have to wait until they have another vegan night to return. Now on to the eats:
Plate 1:

Clockwise, starting at the bowl: Spicy tomato soup, mattar tofu, yellow daal, a fried puffy thing (pani puri?), icky roti
Plate 2:

Clockwise, starting at the long tortilla thing (which I started to demolish before I took the picture): Masala dosa, channa saag, more mattar tofu, something yellow and unidentified
Plate 3:

Clockwise, starting at the small bowl: Sheera (also called halwa), canteloupe, honeydew melon, a different fried puffy thing, vegetable biryani, some green bean things
Some of the stuff was exceptionally good, and several things were bland and not-so-great at all. The yummies of my selection were:
- Mattar tofu (as you can see, it was so good I got seconds; consisted of tomato gravy, garlic, ginger, peas, coconut milk, and very firm tofu. This was my favorite of the bunch)
- Masala dosa (the long tortilla thing, it was nice and greasy and rich and fatty, similar to a crepe and stuffed with potatoes, onions, curry, and spices)
- Spicy tomato soup (So good! I could eat this every day. It was really simple, thin and light without being watery, and had a nice little kick of spice.)
- Sheera (a.k.a. halwa)
- The juicy melons!
The sheera was the dessert and was exceptional! It is a sweet, slightly creamy semolina pudding studded with cashews. Yum! Normally it is made with ghee, so you probably won't find many Indian restaurants with a vegan version. But fortunately, the online world is here to help out should you have any cravings for vegan sheera: recipes here and here. I kind of wanted a second bowl of it...
41 comments:
vegan buffet? What fun!
Your descriptions are hilarious!
I'm very relieved to know, however, that you didn't really eat any vegans!
Best Indian food ever? As an Indian-food lover, I reeeaally wish I could've gone (not only would I have gotten some great food, but I would've been able to meet my little-red friend in person!)
Yum, this all looks so delicious... I am craving a taste of everything on your plate(s) right now!
I just love Indian food! I wish they wouldn't put ghee in everything though. Its so annoying having to ask...
HAHA!!! Soooo glad to know that youhaven't turned to cannibalism - your title had me worried for second ;0)
Fabulous food!! Wowza!!
Glad to see you posting, Ruby Red!! I miss you!!
wow, that all looks so good!!
Glad to see you're back in the bloggy world ;) All that food looks so tasty, how fun a vegan buffet would be!
I'm glad you didn't turn into a cannibal overnight. :-)
Tthe food llooks delicious ~ but I'm biased, i love Indian!
Hey hey :)
Nice food!! I'd love to visit a vegan restaurant...since here where I live is none...:_(
Looking forward to your posts...:)
I've just started my own blog... I'd be so happy to see a coment from you!! =D
Pls visit me on
www.agnesworldofveganpleasures.blogspot.com
Hope for your visit..
enjoy the day...
that looks heavenly... i wish our indian restaurant would have more vegan options like that!
Indian food is one of my all time favorites! I even requested it to replace our thanksgiving dinner a couple years... and boy, still the best turkey day meal (minus the turkey) that I've ever had!!
That tofu dish sounds awesome....but really it all looks delicious!!
I made tempeh again today, but not with the recipe you gave me.....though I did look at it and am STILL so grateful for it and am STILL waiting to some day make it! And I STILL think of you every time I have tempeh! yahoo!
happy Wednesday Ruby Red!
Ooh, that all looks/sounds delish - esp. the masala dosa.
all you can eat vegan buffet? i'm so jealous!
matar tofu is the best thing ever! and I've never tried sheera/halwa, but now I really really want to, it sounds delicious!
The food there was so amazing! I hope they have another vegan buffet sometime soon. We should make it out mission to seek out vegan food in St. Louis and review it. Am I greedy or what?!? Hehe
A vegan Indian buffet sounds awesome (even if you don't know what cause it's for)! All of the food looks great and now I'm seriously craving some curry!
Hi, Ruby Red!! Saw your fabulous comments on my blog :0)
I drink the unsweetened hempmilk "straight up," as is; but I do NOT recommend using it in smoothies (since it has a thinner consistency than the regular hempmilk) - I now save the regular hempmilk for baking and for smoothies, and then use the unsweetened for when I drink it alone.
I am so full, but my mouth is watering from those pictures... It has been waaaaay too long since I've had Indian food!
Ruby Red, thank you so much for the restaurant tips! I tried OR Cafe this week, thanks to you, and think it's just great. I'm really excited about a place in town with so many vegan options.
Wow, that's like a total banquet! I love Masala dosa and that tofu looks delicious.
Looks yummy to me!
I agree with the chocolate covered vegan, what a funny post and delicious looking. I'm craving Indian food now. Too bad I have too many other recipes on my "too make" to throw an indian dish in now.
I asked my mom for Photoshop one year fro Christmas, but I had NO earthly idea how expensive it was! When I found out, I felt terrible... but I've definitely gotten my money's worth for how much I use it (and I don't feel badly that my mom spent so much money, because SHE loves the benefits of it too-- I can get rid of her wrinkles in photos and whiten her teeth!)
I just heard that they've come out with some free Photoshop software; I don't really know what it's all about, but here's the link:
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopalbum/starter.html
Good Indian food is such a treat... and yours looks like the best possible Indian food!
How fun! You are too cute and funny. Love Indian food.
I'm totally craving indian food now!! I love all the spices they put into their dishes
I haven't had much exposure to Indian food, but everything I've had I've loved. That all looks delish!
hiya
there is a new vegan sweets place opening asap in south austin.. hopefully it'll be open by the time you come out...
also those two girls (the now unemployed vegan bakers) are taking orders... i PROMISE they'll make you some poptarts if you order them ;)
i love halwa!! how did you like it? i've only made raw halwa, so cooked would probably be better haha
What a feast! I'm not a big Indian food lover but these dishes look amazing, plus I loved your reviews! :)
Thank you for your super sweet comments! In case you didn't see my reply on my whippy cream post, here it goes...
It's basically a soft buttercream, so it will most likely melt rapidly on hot chocolate and taste like oily goo!
I'll be posting a coconut milk version soon, and I'll be sure to try it on hot cocoa and post my experience.
having vegan and buffet in the same sentence, right next to each other too, is something I can't even fathom.
hey i had a great time at OR the other day (grocery shopping was fun too!) Anyway, hope we can meet up again soon. I really really want to go to vega deli. When's a good time? I'll drive.
I'm sorry it took me 15 days to read this post; VeganMoFo took over! Looks like you had a wonderful Indian feast. Yum!
I love Indian food and all of that looked and sounded so delicious!
Mike's birthday is this saturday and I'm pretty sure Vegadeli is closed on Sundays. How about next weekend? We could grab lunch saturday afternoon. Let me know what you think ;)
OK, I made the coconut milk whippy cream and tried it on hot chocolate. It's the best thing EVER and I am never drinking hot cocoa without coconut cream again! And it's all thanks to you! YAY!
Sometimes in my posts, I go back and count how many times I've said "I" and then delete some and try to say it a different way!
saturday it is! lets talk later this week to pick a time. I can drive, but I may want to hit soulard first in the morning, it depends. Interested? Also, when do you head home for thanksgiving? We're having a thanksgiving dinner for Central Pres on the saturday before thanksgiving. Its at the hunsaker's house where we carved pumpkins. I'm helping megan a bit with the menu. I'm in charge of the vegetarian options. I figured I might as well make them vegan ;) Anyway, if you're here you should come, there will atleast be SOMETHING we can eat. Any input is welcome!
licking my computer. licking my computer.
I love Indian Food! Just thinking about all the flavor makes my mouth water......
That all looks wonderful!
Post a Comment