Friday, September 19, 2008

Huge Relief!

Maybe I'm just a big baby, but I am exhausted from studying this week! I only had two exams, one bright and early at 7:30 this morning and one yesterday, but I am drained, for sure. It is a huge relief to have them over with, without another test anytime in the near future! The silly part of being so "busy" is that I "banned" myself from the internet in order to devote more time to studying, but somehow I found myself sneaking online to read your blogs anyway.

And somehow I convinced myself I didn't have enough time to write a blog entry myself.

Sometimes I feel so greedy, relaxing and reading blogs but going so long without returning my own written contribution. But, after a rather long break, I am finally back!



I am a Texan girl, it is true. On my way southbound, coming home from university at the end of last semester, I was ecstatic to stop at Spiral Diner, a one-hundred-percent vegan eatery. While my dad is a good sport, my other immediate family members aren't the most adventurous people when it comes to food, so I decided to omit the small detail that there would be no meat at our food stop. (As if any one of them would die without meat, anyway.) I merely told my dad and sister, "My friend Katie told me that there is something for me to eat at this diner place in Fort Worth!" So we stopped and my sister practically had a heart attack when she saw the huge letters spelling V-E-G-A-N on the window of Spiral Diner. Teehee. I am so sneaky.

You can read up my last post on Spiral Diner to learn more about that particular experience, but as for this visit? This time we stopped at Spiral on our northern trek back up to college, and this time I got my food to go.



I never eat meals on-the-go and make a point of it to have a sit-down meal, every meal in order to be conscious about what I am eating and truly appreciate the food I have. However, I was more than happy to agree to eat my Spiral fare in the car as we adhered to our strict driving schedule! I started off my meal with Ramsey's Perfect Protein Platter, a generously sized portion perfectly spiced quinoa and black beans mixed with the diner's homemade salsa. It came topped with avocado and with a side of tahini dressing.

Let me tell you, while a simple meal like this can go wrong quite easily, these plant-based proteins were not bland in the least bit! I was so incredibly satisfied after this meal and I could have skipped five miles from all the feel-good energy it gave me. But I had to sit on my butt in the car instead.

I entertained myself further with this bebe:



That's right, folks, one heck of an incredible brownie, period. This is only the second vegan brownie I've had in my lifetime, but it was perfection. It was nice and big and walnutty. You can only imagine how happy I was for the duration of the car ride! All in all, this trip to Spiral was much better than the last, and two for two at that -- my entree and my dessert were both winners over last time!

I will leave you with a recipe for my new favorite breakfast these days. Over the summer I was not craving oatmeal the slightest bit, but my hunger for it has come back full-force. This new concoction is a conglomeration of my old carob-oatmeal pudding (recipe here), Kath's oatmeal template, and the oatmeal-raisin pudding recipe posted by Miss ChocolateCovered Vegan. I have made this lots of ways now and have probably had a version of this 20 out of the past 30 days of my life...

Just to warn you, the recipe's kind of long and particular. Even if you don't make this, you can at least be amused at how silly I am about my oatmeal.

My Favorite Breakfast



Serves one

1/2 cup quick oats
pinch sea salt
1/2 cup bananas, sliced thinly
3/4 cup unsweetened soymilk (we add our maple or agave later for some sweet)
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 tablespoon ground flax
2 teaspoons toasted walnuts
1 tablespoon almond butter or peanut butter (to tell the truth, I use a heaping tablespoon, but do what you want)
2 teaspoons maple syrup or 1/2 tablespoon agave nectar
2 tablespoons crunchy toppings (optional) – could be granola, crumbled grahams, or dry cereal like Annie’s Cinna-Bunnies; if you want chewy you could even add wheatberries


Cook quick oats with 1 cup water and a pinch of salt in the microwave for a minute and a half to two minutes. Transfer to a pot with soymilk and 1/2 cup banana slices and heat over medium-high on the stovetop. Stir. Once soymilk begins to bubble, turn heat down to medium. Stir occasionally, whipping the bananas so they break down and are evenly suspended throughout the oats.

Sift cocoa and cinnamon directly into the pot and stir. Reduce heat to medium-low and stir more to prevent cocoa powder from burning. Remove from heat once mixture reduces to a thick consistency, which can take 10 or up to 20 minutes. Stir in flax and walnuts and pour into serving bowl. Drizzle maple syrup or agave over the top of the oatmeal and gently stir into the top layer (not too deep or you won’t be able to taste the sweetness – by just leaving it on top we can get away with less sugar grams – yes!). Sprinkle crunchy toppings on, if using.

Serve with a spoonful of nut butter. I portion out all of my nut butter first, set it to the side, and scoop out a teaspoon or so of the nut butter into my spoon and keep refilling from the original portion with another teaspoon until I run out. The trick to this is spreading the nut butter evenly over the spoon and taking a small bite of it with each bite of oatmeal, which is collected in small amounts just on the tip of the spoon. This is my very favorite way to have oatmeal, and it is so delicious and filling.

Once you reach the bottom of the bowl, the chocolate taste starts to become more bitter because the liquid sweetener only permeates a little past the top layer. I don’t mind this at all – I have this method down to a science and this is just the way I like it – but if you’d prefer a sweeter end to your breakfast rather than the bitter/dark chocolate taste, add another teaspoon or so of agave or maple once you get to the halfway point. The sweetest bites definitely happen at the top layer of the bowl.

Also, Kath from Katheats.com mentioned that she eats her oatmeal from one side to the other, which is what I do now. It is so fun! That way, I work my way all the way to the bottom on one half, pick at the (less sweet) bottom of the newly revealed half, and then pick at the sweet top again as I go. I like eating my oatmeal methodically -- it helps keep me awake and alert and entertained early in the morning! It definitely prevents mindlessness, that's for sure.

Here are some other ways I have enjoyed this recipe:

  • Eat the oats with dry roasted unsalted peanuts instead of nut butter. Just stir those nuts in after cooking the oats – it is a really yummy variation! When my uncle saw me eating it one morning, he gave me a weird look and said, "What is that? A Peanut Buster Parfait?!"
  • This is sooo good with Justin’s Maple Almond Butter. It's my favorite nutty butter on the planet -- I can't wait until they start making it in jars instead of squeezy packets!
  • Adding Annie’s Cinna-Bunnies cereal as a crunchy topping is so satisfying, because the bunnies melt after you stir a little, and they get a little soggy the longer they hang out underneath the oats – they taste so good that way!
  • You can make this with roasted leftover butternut squash or canned pumpkin or even baked leftover sweet potato. Add it to the pot along with the banana. For this, I omitted the cocoa powder and decreased the sugar, but I bet it would be good in a chocolate-y form, too.
Enjoy!


 

47 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

WELCOME BACK!!!! Hooray for making it through your tough week of studying!!!

Oooh, love that Protein Platter from Spiral Diner; and OH MY GOODNESS GRACIOUS YOUR "FAVORITE BREAKFAST" RECIPE IS PHENOMENAL!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

hey ruby! glad to finally see a post..

i had guessed you had went to the spiral diner! that meal looks really good! i am now a HUGE fan of quinoa and black bean combo.. so good!

Your favorite breakfast recipe is so intriguing! Lately, I've been eating way too much cereal, but I'm starting to get oatmeal cravings now! Your recipe is on my to-do list!

Anonymous said...

YAY for Spiral!! My mom LOVED the Protein Platter as well! I'm glad you gave the brownie a good review...I always get a dessert to-go and just get the cookies everytime (which are phenomenal!).

I'm SO trying your oatmeal recipe...I just bought Annie's Honey Bunnies!!~Perfect toppings!!

Yay for your tests being over...I just had a CRAZY test-filled week...The weekend is finally here :0)

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy to see you posting! You are the breakfast queen =)

Speaking of breakfast...this one is a winner, I have to make this soon!!!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Oh I am so glad you got to taste one of Spiral’s amazing brownies! They’re seriously some of the best brownies I’ve ever had, vegan or not!

And I LOVE your oatmeal recipe; I’m not so much amused at how particular you are as I am amused at your bunny cereal oatmeal topping—too cute!

I like how you have it down to a science; I’m the same way with my oatmeal. I’ve written down the recipes of my favorite ways to eat it, right down to directions like “microwave for 23 seconds”.

Aw, I used to lov Justin’s nut butters too, but my dumb old Whole Foods discontinued selling them! Boo!

Anyway, another terrific Ruby-Red post!

Anonymous said...

I've missed you! You know, you really ought to teach an oatmeal making/eating class. I am completely fascinated by both your recipe and method for eating it. This recipe is on my brekkie list for the weekend! Thanks for sharing.

VeganView said...

So glad to have u back! You were missed babes!

Anonymous said...

Ah! Spiral Diner sounds like delicious! Is it in Texas?Or do they have other locations?
hehe , eating oatmeal that way sounds fun- I'll have to try it!! I always eat mine in a circle, scraping the edges and then the middle and everything haha
Good Luck studying!

Anonymous said...

I'm in Texas too! Where do you go to school? I'm a grad student at Tech.
I have to say, after reading that oatmeal recipe I'm looking forward to slowing down and paying attention to each bite. It's inspiring to see how much you really NOTICE you eating experience.
Have a great wknd!

Anonymous said...

We've missed you!!:)
Glad to see more Spiral eats!

Your oatmeal sounds great, I haven't made chocolate oats in forever, definitely a must eat of this week. :)

Anonymous said...

Yum Yum!!!

Anonymous said...

you're baaaaaaaaaack! it's good to read from you again.

Anonymous said...

Glad to see your comments/posts again!

That is one serious looking brownie there... A staple in any balanced diet, if you ask me.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back - and you brought brownies & oatmeal - how sweet of you!!

Emma said...

Your meal looks absolutely scrummy- I would love to eat at the Spiral Diner one day, the menu looks amazing!

Amy said...

Hi! Don't worry, we all go through patches where we're reading blogs but not blogging ourselves (I do it A LOT!)

Mmm your oatmeal always looks so delicious (and that quinoa and brownie look pretty good too).

Anonymous said...

Don't feel bad, the beginning of September is mega-busy for a lot of people! Good luck balancing studying a blogging. That's an awesome oatmeal recipe. Oatmeal = brain food!

Lisa (Show Me Vegan) said...

Thanks for the review on Spiral Diner! I love hearing about vegan restaurants and what they serve. Hope you have a little fun time this weekend now that those exams are behind you!

Sara said...

okay, I'm jealous of your delicious meal from the spiral diner. I want to go!
We definitely need to get together...things are a little crazy for me this coming week, but if we plan a bit in advance I should be good to go.
I don't have any good ideas for cooking adventures at the moment, but I will think about it and get back to you. I haven't done anything out of Veganomicon for a while so maybe something from there?
I also really want to go to the Shangrila Diner...have you gone for brunch yet?

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

I KNEW you would like the chocolate coffee Jocolats! I love them too... I think a lot of vegans stay away from the Jocolats because they have caffeine, and that's why the larabars get more attention. Why are people so anti-caffeine? I mean, I know that too much caffeine is bad for ya, but too much of anything is bad for you! (Did you know that if you eat too much broccoli, you can die of acid poisoning? LOL it's true!)

I think you'd like the mocha nectars too. You're right; they're expensive... but my Whole Foods always seems to have coupons for them. If your Whole Foods doesn't have Mambo Sprout coupons, you can print some off from their website: http://www.mambosprouts.com/

Happy Saturday!

allularpunk said...

glad you're back! your blog is so great :) i wish i lived in an area with a vegan diner, that quinoa and brownie look amazing.

ChickPea said...

Once again, I say that I am so jealous of your visits to the Spiral Diner. Everything looks so delicious!!
Those oats look phenomenal. I am taking a hint from you and adding the recipe to my computer "Recipes" file:)

Anonymous said...

Welcome back!

I wish I could visit Spiral Diner myself oneday, I have heard so may good things. And I love quinoa.

Your favourite breakfast sounds really yummy.

aTxVegn said...

Hey, good to hear from you! I don't blame you for being exhausted. I get exhausted watching Chase study!

I'm amazed the protein platter at Spiral Diner has no tofu in it! That would definitely be my order. And I love your oatmeals. I could eat oats, bananas, and chocolate forever....

tofufreak said...

good to see you post again!

you are sooo lucky to be able to go to the spiral diner!!!! the protein platter and brownie look awesome :)

yay for ruby red oatmeal ideas too! keep 'em coming ^_^

Sheree' said...

Your protein platter looks incrediable and the brownie is just the ticket to a smooth car ride.

Anonymous said...

I have never seen such a complicated oatmeal recipe/set of instructions. Yet I loved reading every bit of it, that's hilarious! You have your oatmeal down to a science. Or an art. Or a very arty science. Either way I like it a lot.

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

I tricked my family on Mother's Day & took them to Millennium for brunch. Thankfully they enjoyed it! Mmm, brownies!

Bianca said...

Welcome back! Glad your tests are over! I'm so jealous of all you Texans and your Spiral Diner! The quinoa dish sounds terrific.

Anonymous said...

Ill have to try quinoa again that looked really really good and not at all bland like the quinoa I tried! the brownie look great too

Anonymous said...

I made the oatmeal: it's like a deliciously rich indulgent chocolate pudding! Thank you for the recipe!

Ruby Red said...

Dear Anonymous,

Thank you so much for letting me know that you made the oatmeal! It makes me really happy to see comments like that -- glad you liked it! And if you can possibly believe it, I made an even more deliciously rich and indulgent new pumpkin oatmeal this morning...

Vaala ◪ said...

No wonder you're tired! I remember my uni days...studying and exams are exhausting.

I love your oatmeal recipe. Despite the slowly warming weather here I think I will be tempted to try it. Sounds perfect for a busy day.

Andrea of Care to Eat said...

Did hell freeze over? Are pigs flying now? You're telling me that there is a Vegan restaurant in my barbeque lovin' hometown of Ft. Worth, TX?! You better believe that the next time I visit home I'll be stopping by!

Vegan_Noodle said...

Glad you made it through a round of testing!! I know it can be tough to post when things are so busy.
Can't believe you've been to Spiral twice now and I haven't gone at all! I really need to plan my trip up to cowtown...

Anonymous said...

Oh! This evening I saw a few pumpkin oatmeal recipes in blogland and I was thinking about making some one of these days;
I believe you when you are saying you've invented an even more rich and more indulgent pumpkin oatmeal - because I was the one who commented that I loved the indulgent richness of the chocolate (oatmeal)pudding!
Hope you are going to post this new pumpkin (oatmeal)pudding...(please)

Sara said...

Hey!
I think next weekend would work pretty well for me too. I heard that Gokul (a vegetarian restaurant at paige and lindberg...ever heard of it?) is doing some sort of vegan special on Oct. 4th. Supposedly they're adding a few more vegan friendly dishes on that day? I don't know for sure, but this is what I hear. Anyway, I think the 4th is a saturday. Maybe we could do lunch or dinner there. Even if there aren't any new dishes I think there's a pretty good vegan selection on their regular menu. Google the website to make sure though. I could pick you up if you want...and invite jess if she's free...my roommate may want to tag along as well.
Hope classes aren't killing you. Enjoy parent's weekend!

russ said...

hehehe I love your fanatical approach to preparing and eating your breakfast! I can you imagine you in the morning, surrounded by testtubes full of oatmeal, armed with a bunsen burner, and pipettes filled with syrup.
That quinoa dish sounds amazing! There's a café called Spiral in Camdon, I think, who also do a really nice quinoa dish - I wonder if there's any connection?

Animal-Friendly said...

Your meal from Spiral Diner sounds super healthy and not to mention delicious! And a brownie is always a great way to end a meal :)

Chocolate oatmeal- yum!! You recipe sounds great and I love the addition of the crunch on top. Can't wait to try it!

Kristen's Raw said...

Congrats on making it through your exams! Funny, but reading your post made me actually kind of miss school!

Have a great week,
Kristen

Unknown said...

studying sure takes up a lot of time, huh? i feel like that's all i do now a days! haha
your brownie looks so good, haha i need to make some of my own soon..

Anonymous said...

Glad your week of studying has passed! It'll definitely pay off in the end.

The oatmeal looks so good!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you posted about Spiral Diner! I have to go to a conference in Dallas later in October and I am THRILLED to have some choices! Thank you!!!

Kathy in MD

Jess said...

Welcome back! :) I just returned from being MIA, too. I am dying to go to Spiral Diner! YUM!!!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

I am totally right there with you in being too lazy to make bread (haha, you know me-- I'm even too lazy to make my own waffles!).

Do you happen to know any single vegan twin boys who also happen to be good cooks? Ooh, and then we can live next door to each other and have vegan pj parties and cupcake parties. I have it all figured out. We just need to find the boys. I know, it's asking a lot... but *maybe* they are out there somewhere!!!

(Single vegan twin boys who like to cook-- If you happen to read this post, come find me!)

A.M. said...

I'll have one of those brownies and a huge bowl of that oatmeal please! Although I am completely addicted to pumpkin oatmeal right now, so I am curious to see your recipe for that!

Leslie Richman said...

I love the Spiral Diner!