Saturday, August 30, 2008

Back to school

Like a lot of you, I started school again this past Monday. I met up with another blogger this week, Sara of onlywannacook. This was the first time we had met in person, and it also marks the first time I've gotten to meet another blogger! We had a fun dinner at Whole Foods, which we have been planning for a couple months now.



We both love love love to eat at Whole Foods and deciding what to get was really hard. I immediately knew I wanted the Red Curry Seitan I saw at the hot bar and then paired it with a cranberry-walnut roll from the bakery and a salad with argula, yellow bell pepper, jicama, edamame, beets, marinated mushrooms, and Bragg Liquid Aminos (which is basically my favorite salad combination ever). The texture of the seitan was excellent -- not too dense. I am impressed -- Whole Foods should serve seitan at their hot bar more often, as far as I'm concerned! I had no complaints about this part of my meal. The roll I got is also one of my favorites. I know I was stuffed at the end of this and I'm pretty sure Sara was too but we had to get dessert. It's pretty much required when eating a meal at Whole Foods and there are so many yummy options!

Brownie? Vegan carrot cake? Bakery cookies? In the end we each got a pint of the new Snickerdoodle flavor of the Purely Decadent ice cream line. What a fabulous choice! I normally really don't care for Purely Decadent, but the Snickerdoodle was the die for -- Sara and I especially liked the chunks of snickerdoodle cookie dough, which were interspersed in a perfectly-spiced snickerdoodle flavored ice cream base. Mmmm. The texture of this ice cream is delicious too -- not icy or tofu-y like certain other soy ice cream flavors. This is a must-try!



We certainly enjoyed ourselves -- more Ruby and Sara adventures are ahead! We were trying to find someone to take our picture together but for some reason no one would walk by our little bench! So Sara had to take it.



I have my own apartment now, so I'm basically cooking all my own meals. Thank goodness I don't have to throw money down the drain any more due to unused dining plan meals. Here's a visual. Now you can have a mind's-eye picture whenever I talk about what I have been cooking and eating!



Here's my fabulous table and my itty bitty bed...



My collection of vegan cookbooks and my dressing area...



And my cute little bathroom!



For those of you going back to school this week, good luck! Have a great week, and I'll try to get back to you all soon. Start looking forward to a post on a visit to a vegan restaurant (I won't tell you which one yet...I am evil) and on my new favorite breakfast!
 

49 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new apartment!

Nice to see you met another blogger. :)
The snickerdoodle ice cream sounds amazing!

Good luck with school!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Aww, so fun that you and Sara got to meet!! Hooray for fellow bloggers spending time together - especially at Whole Foods!! Excellent!!

LOVE your new apartment!! Too cute!!

Ahh, I'm starting classes this week, haha :0)

Can't wait to read about that restaurant!!

Sara said...

the apartment is sooo cute! and it looks like a great little kitchen for cooking. I have to ask... what are the vegan cookbooks in your collection?
Also, I see you have gilmore girls season one. Are you a fan too?

Sara said...

p.s. i finished off the rest of my snickerdoodle icecream today...well not all of it, but all the cookie dough pieces for sure!

Mona said...

I just found your blog and I thought I would say hi. Your apartment is so cute!

Anonymous said...

Wowie!! So much to comment about!!

First of all, YAY for Whole Foods!! But I am so jealous that yours has seitan at the hot bar!! My WF only has tempeh which is AMAZING, and I always get loads of!!

And number two...HOW CUTE IS YOUR APARTMENT!? and so neat!! adorable!!!

And yay for meeting another blogger!!

Thanks so much for sharing! this post was so funn!!
Have a great rest of your weekend!

Anonymous said...

I'm amazed that so many people are already back at school (we don't start till Tuesday). Congrats on the *first* meetup and your new apt! It looks very comfy and welcoming :) And I think I must seek out that ice cream!

Katie said...

You two are just so pretty! I'm glad you had a good time.

And by the way, your apartment is lovely!

ChickPea said...

How cool that you got to meet a blogger in person! I have yet to experience that for myself.
Love your apartment! Sounds like we're in similar situations this year. Can't wait to see what dishes you come up with!

aTxVegn said...

Your apartment is lovely! Have a great semester.

Anonymous said...

Yeah for back to school! And Oh my dog, we have the same water bottle, how cool is that? (I bought mine in MI on my recent vacation to the US!)

Anonymous said...

Your apartment is so cute! I wish I could've had my own apartment this year. Definitely next year, though!

I just saw that Snickerdoodle ice cream at WF some time ago.. now you're making me wish I had bought it! Darn.. I'll make sure to try that out sometime, though!

Thanks for sharing and posting another awesome post! Can;t wait to read your next one.

PS: Your pics are IMPECCABLE.. what kind of camera do u use?

Anonymous said...

I love the new apartment...it's so cute!


I love snickdoodles, that ice cream sounds amazing =)

tofufreak said...

OHHHHH I LOVE YOUR APARTMENT!!!!

your meet-up looked like lots of fun too:)

have fun at school! i look forward to seeing this "surprise restaurant" :)

tofufreak said...

haha and i love how you are eating ice cream by the pint. i so love doing that! lol snickerdoodle is the best thing ever!!!

Ruby Red said...

Haha, thank goodness Sara was there... Otherwise I might not have been able to stop myself from eating the whole pint. I think I got every last cookie dough bit though!

VeganCowGirl said...

Good luck back at school this week. Your new apartment looks fantastic. Have fun!

russ said...

Your new place looks great! You have the whole place to yourself? Its such a nice change to have your own space, everything just the way you want! I should be meeting some fellow bloggers this weekend, so I hope I have as much fun as you !!

kibbles said...

Aw, you're apartment is absolutely adorable and teeny! I love it!

Anonymous said...

Good luck back at school! I have to say, I'm totally jealous of your awesome living space. If I had gotten an apartment like that, I might have stuck around for this semester too!

Animal-Friendly said...

Your meeting with a fellow blogger looks like such fun! The meal at Whole Foods sounds great.

I'm in love with your new apartment- it's soooo adorable!

Hm....which restaurant could it possibly be....? I can't wait to find out

Lisa (Show Me Vegan) said...

So funny, I was at Whole Foods today! And thank goodness for it. Where else would I buy seitan and nooch in St. Louis? Your apartment looks like the perfect place for many future vegan meals. Can't wait for your restaurant review.

Anonymous said...

The apartment looks great!

And you Whole Foods meal sounds phenomenal! I've got to get my hands on that Snickerdoodle ice cream.. yum!

Anonymous said...

I love your sea creature shower curtain! I want one. And, thanks for the review on the snickerdoodle ice cream; I've been tempted by it all summer...

Have a fun semester! I look forward to your breakfast post(s)!

A.M. said...

So cool you got to meet another blogger in person!

Your apartment is very cute. And I want snickerdoodle ice cream!

Unknown said...

Lovely pictures. I met Lizzy in Amsterdam recently. It's cool to meet another blogger in person.

Sarah P said...

I love your apartment! I can't wait to see it in the background of all the lovely pictures of food you'll be taking ^_^

Bianca said...

Blogger meetups are such fun! We should have like a vegan bloggers convention or something every year!

And yea for new apartments!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

I woulda taken your picture for sure! (Well, maybe not... maybe I would've distracted you and then run away with your snickerdoodle ice cream. You're not the only one who is evil!)

Your apartment is too cute! I loved this post :o).

tofufreak said...

i actually bought the ABC cookie in my hometown airport, dayton int'l. sorry! it was in one of those sell-everything-from-tabloid-to-hygiene-products sort of store, so you might want to check one of those out perhaps.

i totally understand your frustration in not being able to find them! like, i have to drive 20 MINUTES (!) just to get them. ahhh it's probably for the best though! haha

Sara said...

your vegan cookbook collection is a library! I'm jealous. the only vegan cookbook I own is Veganomicon. I have several other vegetarian/vegan/other cookbooks I would love to buy, but I'm a broke college student ;) oh well. I mostly just browse blogs for cool new stuff to try.
Anyway, I think we need to make plans to go to Gokul some time in the next month...I soooo want to try it!

Anonymous said...

Aww how nice you guys got to meet and what better place than whole foods. Your apartment is great when I got my first school apartment it was so exciting!

Anonymous said...

Aw, your meeting with Sara sounds like so much fun! I really like your technique at Whole Foods - I usually just get the hot bar, but I am totally going to hit up the bakery next time and get a roll - yum!

Snickerdoodle?! I love those cookies, so I can only imagine what it would taste like in ice cream form! I'll be on the lookout for that one :o)

Your apartment looks so cute and I am so jealous of that kitchen! Mine hasn't been updated since oh...the 70s or something. It needs a little work.

Can't wait to hear about the restaurant and your new favorite breakfast!

Anonymous said...

what a cute little apartment! It looks so cozy and welcoming. :-)

Americanos are usually my second choice in coffee. It's like when you walk into a cafe and can just tell that it's going to be bad coffee (old), the americano will always save the day. LOL I never add any milk or sugar to my coffee. I've become too good for the sugar and milk. LOL j/k. The foam that you see on top of my americano is actually from my stovetop espresso maker (it makes a little crema on top) Cool huh?
Yay for Coffee snobs, :-)

Vegan_Noodle said...

Love the new apartment!! It is so much easier cooking for yourself than living off dorm food.

And how cool that you got to meet up with another blogger. I wish our whole foods here had so many vegan options (especially in the bakery dept!).

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Yup, my birthday is Saturday :o)

Still have no idea what kind of cake I'll have, but I'm thinking it'll be something chocolatey.

Katie said...

I really like your crystal-clear photos...what kind of camera do you use?

Anonymous said...

I am addicted to Purely Decadent Ice Cream!! I try to get 3 pints when I go to Whole Foods and that usually lasts 3 days if I'm lucky. I just got finished with the Blueberry Cheesecake (To Die For). Now, I'm onto the Cookie Dough. This could be dangerous!

Danielle said...

Your apartment is adorable, can't wait to see and hear about what kind of veganlicious food you make in that kitchen of yours! Good luck at school :)

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

aw, I love your place! it looks so comfortable and inviting, and sunny even. and good luck with school - so far it's been awesome for me! yay for student life, eh? :D

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Don't worry, I will NEVER be an astronaut! I'm ashamed to admit it, but I'm terrified of flying! I've been flying my whole life, starting when I was 6 weeks old, but it still scares me so much! I know, I am a wimpy chocolate-covered vegan.

Anyways, hope you're enjoying the waning weekend hours.

Vaala ◪ said...

Your apartment is so cute! Is it just you there? Good luck for your new year at school.

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog on Veggie Girl's blogroll and I love it! Your pictures are amazing! What a cute place to live. :)

Katie said...

You know, every time I visit your blog I am tempted by that cranberry-walnut roll. So perfectly round...I will have to look for them next time I'm at Whole Foods.

Anonymous said...

That's an absolutely adorable apartment! And I love how you decorated it.

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Actually, I think YOU are the queen of sweetness and niceness.

Breakfast is my favorite meal, too... well, actually I think all my meals are my favorite meals, since I often have breakfast foods at lunch, dinner, and snacks :o)

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

You are DEFINITELY going to love the cookbook :o) :o)

Sarah said...

Its so much fun to see bloggers meeting!

Good luck with school. Im betting it is picking up, its that time again, first exams of the semester. Just be glad you are all done with ochem, I know I am!

Sarah said...

Its so much fun to see bloggers meeting!

Good luck with school. Im betting it is picking up, its that time again, first exams of the semester. Just be glad you are all done with ochem, I know I am!