Sunday, August 17, 2008

My First Cuppies Say Hi



My little sister's birthday was this past week, which gave me an opportunity to do something that I've been wanting to do all summer: Make cupcakes!

I've had the Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World cookbook for quite a few months and hadn't done anything with it until now. If you have read my blog before, you may have heard me speak of my incredibly picky sister, who will not eat anything vegan unless it contains lots and lots of sugar. It bugs me to no end, though I do realize she's entitled to her food choices...but closed-mindedness gets to me. She was open to the idea of me making her cupcakes, but she gave me many "requirements": The cupcakes can't have warm fruit, the cupcakes can't be chocolate, I don't know what ganache is but it sounds icky and I don't want that, I want "real" icing (because we all know vegan icing is fake). In the end, I kept what I decided a secret from her. I knew she would like the cupcake once she tasted it, but she might have rejected the idea if she heard it beforehand.

And this month is my one-year anniversary of being a vegan. So I guess they were kinda a little sorta a treat for me too.

So Teddy Graham cupcakes it was! While the cinnamon Teddy Grahams are indeed vegan, I would use Annie's Chocolate Bunny Grahams if I were making them for myself... and maybe do a chocolate cupcake base (the non-chocolate Annie's grahams contain honey). Annie's graham crackers are organic and don't have partially hydrogenated oils, like the wee Teddies. But I caved for my sister, since I know she loves Teddy Grahams.



I made a subtle cinnamon frosting for the VCTOTW Golden Vanilla Cupcakes. I've never been a straight vanilla girl, but Isa and Terry's vanilla cupcakes are incredible. My sister claims to hate cinnamon, so I told her the frosting was a brown sugar frosting and she never guessed the diff. She ended up loving the cuppies, though, so thank goodness! We had a pretty good time on her birthday, too.

We went to the movies and saw Mamma Mia. The beginning was cute, and I was into it for a while... But then it started dragging and the downright awful singing really started to get to me. I used to be a theatre major and am really critical of plays and musicals. The girl who played Sophie was a great actress, though. Too bad Meryl Streep annoys me... I used to love her and I did like her in The Devil Wears Prada, though, but the more movies I see her in, the more I realize everything she does is the same! I don't know about you, but I like for actors to surprise me.

For dinner that night, we went to Chili's, which I groaned about. I've hated that restaurant all my life, even before I was vegan. Normally I will sit and whine and not eat when I am forced to go there, but I decided to make an effort this time and came away with a surprisingly delicious vegan meal. I would even go as far to say it was a small feast. Here's what I ordered:
  • Corn tortillas (request plain and dry - I think they're supposed to make them in the microwave when you order this way)
  • Steamed vegetables (request steamed, plain and dry) - they gave me broccoli, carrots, and bell peppers
  • Black beans
  • Pico de gallo
  • Guacamole

So there are actually some edible and rather tasty goods at Chili's for vegans, and our server was really nice and accomodating. I made my own cute little corn tortilla fajitas at the table by spooning some of everything into the tortillas. I was satisfied, and I busted out the cupcakes for our family after!



We ate them at the table at Chili's, and I think our server was kind of amused, haha. Yum! They were really delicious. But not as delicious two days later when eaten from the fridge. The teddy's head got soggy and I had to replace him with a new teddy from the box. And I may have snuck a few extra teddies onto my plate, too. I really hope my family eats the rest of the box before I do... I'm going to get cancer from those evil addicting bears.
 

55 comments:

The Voracious Vegan said...

What cute cupcakes! I love your birthday cupcake treachery and I'm glad your sister liked them.

It bugs me too when people say they want 'real' food, not vegan food. As if dead animals and bodily fluids are more real than fruits and veg.

VeganCowGirl said...

You are a super sweet sister!
I didn't know that teddy grams were Vegan....I remember eating those when I was a young kid - my little sister loved them!

Have fun with VCTOTW - I just ordered mine from Amazon...can't wait!

Anonymous said...

first cuppies? they're so perfect they could kick the butt of the ones you can buy at the supermarket!

Anonymous said...

Those bears are just to cute to be evil! Lol. I don't think I've had them since snack time in elementary school.

It's so sweet of you to make these for your sister. They look great!

Glad you found something substantial toeat at Chili's. I've never been a fan of those chain restaurants either.

O and I know what you mean about Mama Mia. I loved the first half then a lot of the song were just really random. And some of Meryl Streep's songs/scences were kind of awkward. Sophie was great though.

jd said...

These cupcakes are completely adorable!

My little bro' & I actually used to eat Teddy Grahams as cereal when we were kids... until our idea was "stolen" & they started marketing them that way - LOL!

Anyway, I hope your little sister had a wonderful b-day. She's lucky to have a big sister like you :)

PS Way to make the best of a bad situation at Chili's - you definitely get a vegan gold star for effort!

Anonymous said...

Those cupcakes are entirely adorable! Love the little bears peeking out. I think you have one lucky sister!

Anonymous said...

My 1-year "veganniversary" (as I have dubbed it) is coming up as well! Congrats!! :D
Those cupcakes are just too cute for words! They sound delish!
Meryl Streep is my hero...watch "Kramer vs. Kramer," "Sophie's Choice," or "Out of Africa," and you'll change your mind. ;)
Interesting to know that you were once a theatre major, like I currently am! Sounds like we have a lot in common! (Other than picky sisters, haha!)

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

CUTEST. CUPCAKES. EVER. But they're definitely not vegan, since they have little bears on them ;0) Haha, sorry, bad joke (just like the whole "animal crackers not being vegetarian/vegan" joke, haha). So lovely of you to make those for your sister!! Her list of qualifications for the treats made me laugh out loud :0D

Ahh, sorry about 'Mamma Mia' - musicals can definitely get a bit annoying.

Nice to know that Chili's can be vegan-friendly!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

First of all, your sister's requirement "I don't know what ganache is but it sounds icky and I don't want that" made me laugh sooo hard.

And secondly, those cupcakes are so super cute I can't stand it! And I love that you brought them to Chilis to eat. I bet yours was the envy of all the other tables!

Trying To Heal said...

ohhh...i feel you on the chili's dilemma...my x-country friends used to go there all the time when we would get together over the summer...i could seriously never eat anything...and if i did, surprise surprise, meat was always "accidentally" stuck in it. "just pick it off" the waitress said. lets just say i didn't leave a very good tip.

but your cupcakes look divine!!!! so nice of you to make them for your sister!

jessy said...

your cuppies are ADORABLE! so sweet of you to make them for your sister - and to consider all of her requests/preferences! ;)

good to know on the Chili's, too! thanks so much for scoping that out and letting us know what to ask for! i really appreciate it!

glad her b-day was such a super fun success! yay!

Sara said...

Thanks for the coffee recommendation. I'm leaving for Seattle on thursday and I'm getting really excited. I found two other places I hope to visit. The Flying Apron Bakery and Pizza Pi. But, I don't know how much I'll get to try because the friends I'm staying with aren't vegetarians, so I don't want to force a bunch of things on them. Either way I'm getting some amazing coffee and seeing Pike's Place, so I'm a happy camper.

I can't wait for our saturday meet up either! See you then!
ps. those teddy graham cupcakes are such a cute idea.

Sara said...

pps. OR Smoothies is my new favorite place to eat. Have you tried any of their sandwiches etc? I'm slowly working my way through the menu. They have homemade veggie burger that will knock your socks off. Also good is the vegan tempeh wrap, raw vegan pizza, veggie sandwich, and squash lentil soup (with ginger!)
We MUST go!

Rage And Love said...

I haven't seen this blog for such a long time! I see that life's treating you well. Love the cupcakes!

Anonymous said...

Vanilla and cinnamon in a cupcake? MMMMMMMMM! I love the addition of the teddy graham on top. I think it is awesome that you brought them to the restaurant, I wouldn't be brave enough.

And happy 1 year of being vegan! Hooray! My two year is this month. You should send me a cupcake.

Anonymous said...

So cute!! I love using teddy/bunny grahams to make baked goods extra "sweet" - so nice of you to do that for your sister! I'm glad you had fun :o)

Lisa (Show Me Vegan) said...

Your cupcakes definitely look like a success! And congrats on your vegan anniversary.

Vegan_Noodle said...

Such cute cupcakes!! Had to laugh at your sister's rules :-)

Thanks for the tip about mama mia, I was considering seeing it but now I think I'll just wait for it on netflix...

KP said...

Those cupcakes are super cute, and that's so nice of you to make them for her on her birthday!

Anonymous said...

I hope you saved one for me =) They are adorable and I love the cinnamon vanilla idea. I myself am not a big fan of vanilla but I loooved those cupcakes...I could just eat them by themselves.

Anonymous said...

those cupcakes are adorable!

glad you posted about your Chilli's meal... I would order something similar if I ever went!

Animal-Friendly said...

Happy one year veg-anniversary and happy birthday to your sister!

Those cupcakes sound delicious and I'm glad to hear that you sister liked them (despite their vegan-ness. haha)! I try to avoid Teddy Grahams for the same reasons you do (hydrogenated oils)) but your pictures of them on top of those cupcakes have me seriously craving those little bears!

aTxVegn said...

The celebration cupcakes are adorable! My omni mom's all time favorite lemon treat is the Lemon Gems from VCTOTW.

Congratulations on your veganniversary!

ChickPea said...

Those are the cutest cupcakes ever! I am so glad to hear that cinnamon Teddy Grahams are vegan--I used them to serve with a dip at a party a few weeks ago. I figured I should use a "normal" dipper (as opposed to Annie's brand) since I was serving it to other people. What a nice surprise that I wasn't nibbling on animal product-laden snacks.
Anyway, I agree about Mamma Mia...I liked the daughter, but Meryl was a bit over the top.
Sounds like you managed to have a pretty good meal at Chili's--good detective work!

Anonymous said...

Haha! Your sister and my brother would get along sooo well! I made his birthday cake, and he absolutely loved it. But as soon as he heard that it was vegan.. oh no! "You owe me. I want a 'real' cake." Haha
you're so sweet to make her those though :)
Adorable teddy bears on top!

J said...

Your cupcakes were so cute! That was sweet of you to make them for your sister. With your good influence, maybe she will grow out of some of her food picky-ness!

I've had some good luck at Chili's too. They have a few big dinner salads that they can easily omit the meat and cheese (usually the only offending ingredients) and then sub in a grilled portobello mushroom (which they have somewhere else on the menu). It's not a vegan restaurant, but at least we don't go hungry!

Unknown said...

aww haha i actually LIKE eating at chili's..thats funny you dont like is so much. i find that the chips and salsa is really good to start with.. and they have a black bean burger that i get bunless with no cheese and dressing, which, if cooked right, is vegan. hmm also i get a house salad and then ask for a million toppings (like pico, tortilla strips, corn relish, and salsa as dressing) which actually is really good! okay this was too much about chili's haha
but your cupcakes are absolutely ADORABLE! :)

em said...

Those cupcakes look amazing! Too bad you can't send some my way. ;)

Ruby Red said...

About Chili's -- don't get too comfortable there! The black bean burger is NOT vegan. The patty actually contains egg and/or dairy, and there's also an allergen guide to help you further (http://www.brinker.com/gr/allergens/Chilis%20Allergen.PDF). Sorry to spoil the black bean fun, but we should watch out for each other. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, you are such a good sister... I would get fed up with that attitude in no time. Seriously, I have no patience for close-mindedness, and I would rather spend my time baking for someone who appreciates the end results!

Hope you enjoy the other recipes in VCTOtW regardless- it really is an awesome book, through and through.

Anonymous said...

Hello RubyRedVegan!
My name is Claire, and I have enjoyed checking out your blog! Would it be Ok for me to post a link to it from my page.... ?

My blog, http://clairebearspicnic.blogspot.com, is just getting started, and I am eager to feature other healthy living, vegan, food pages on there. Yours would be a great addition. : )

'The Bears Picnic' is a book project that I have just started. I would be delighted if you wanted to contribute any recipes or healthy living tips.... the official invite is posted as a jpeg on the blog, or i can e-mail you a pdf if you prefer.

Thanks for your time,

have fun!

from Claire

Anonymous said...

Haha, Ruby, your cupcakes are adorable! I can't believe these are your first ones.. you're a natural!

Glad to know your sister enjoyed them and the her bday was a success.

Anonymous said...

Hey, girl! You had asked me a while back what type of espresso machine I use at work, and I never got back to you! Sorry! :(
Anyway, we use a $6,000 (!!!) Brasilia brand; the model is the "Rosito Bisani."
Needless to say, it's reeeaaallllyy nice! :)

Sarah said...

Those are really cute cupcakes! Ill have to try that cinnamon frosting.

And too funny about your fibs to your sister. I bet my sister did the same for me. I was beyond picky as a child. Still a bit, but the more restricted my diet, the more I adventure, lol.

Bianca said...

Cute cuppies!!! I love teddy grahams! And it's awesome that you were able to sneak some things past your sister. Does she read your blog?

Also, I went to Chili's this weekend too! I ordered Veggie Fajitas...not on the menu, but similar to what you had. It had rice, black beans, steamed broccoli and mushroom, sauteed pepper and onions, and guac and pico. They also have a great black bean burger! And some awesome drink specials, like two for one margaritas.

Bianca said...

Damn, I just read your comment about the black bean burger...well, at least they have the margaritas. And those yummy fajitas.

Anonymous said...

You are so cute! I have a ridiculously picky little sister (I have 4 younger sisters, but one is really picky), and she also makes me crazy, but I love her. There was a time, for like 5 years, that all she would eat was chicken fingers!! Gross!!
Your cupcakes are super cute, though.

The Vegan Snorkeler said...

Your teddy graham cupcakes are SO cute!!!

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

I'm happy your sister liked those adorable cupcakes!

Kristen's Raw said...

OOOHHHHH! Those look scrumptious!!!!!

Amy said...

Awwww your cupcakes are adorable! (sorry to hear about those pesky teddies demanding you eat them all though!)

tofufreak said...

yum! those cupcakes are so super cute! nice idea ;)

i'm glad to know that even chili's can be so accommodating to vegans!

Lindsay (Happy Herbivore) said...

licking my lips like a wild crazy animal ready to EAT

kibbles said...

Aw, those poor soggy bears. Oh my, not you've got me craving teddy grahams! Daammnn!


PS. you said you'd email me!

:) No hard feelings. I'm freaking out over moving into my dorm tomorrow! I need support!

Hungry Hungry Dancer said...

your cupcakes are so cute!!! im sure they tasted as good as they looked!!
I had no idea teddy grams were vegan! Thats RIDICULOUSLY exciting! haha they were def a favorite treat of mine growing up!

A.M. said...

That frosting looks so luscious and delicious... Glad your sister liked them. Score for vegan cupcakes!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Hey Ruby Red! I just thought I'd drop by to say hello and thank you for all the nice comments you've left on my blog. Your comments always make my day brighter :o).

Vaala ◪ said...

Those cupcakes are adorable! Very impressive for a first batch but then again you create some pretty amazing stuff so not that surprising. I just got that cupcake book for my birthday from my darling cousin who very helpfully put coloured markers on the pages of all the recipes that she likes...very subtle!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Yes, do try pb bites! I'm having more today... unless I have grilled cheeze bites. Gosh, we vegans have too many choices of what to eat!!!

Erin said...

Good job 'fooling' you sister! They're so cute, making me drool!

Sarah P said...

THEY ARE ADORABLE!!!

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

I can't believe those are your first cupcakes, they look absolutely scrumptious! and adorable... like the teddies are drowning in cinnamon frosting, hee hee. and happy veganversary!

Anonymous said...

Those are so adorable and beautiful - I love them!

RhodeyGirl/Sabrina said...

THESE CUPCAKES ARE SO ADORABLE!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Aww, that's so sweet of you! I have the same issue with my family wanting things I wouldn't normally make, but it always seems to work out in the end.