This will just be a quick post of a few yummy things I've been eating lately:

A seitan wrap with mango salsa and kale.

Raw Coconut Pancakes from Ani's Raw Food Kitchen, topped with raw cranberry syrup.

Some scones from Vegan with a Vengeance with frozen cranberries thrown in and cinnamon sugar on top. They were really crumbly. I'm not sure how scones are supposed to turn out, but they tasted good.

Dreena's Easy Pleasin' Oat Bars. They were simple but oddly satisfying. I'm looking for a recipe that approximates Heart Thrives, though. Has anyone had them? They're these delicious vegan oat cakes/bars, but they're really hard for me to find anywhere but Minneapolis.


Jenna from Eat Live Run has a great recipe for Chocolate Chip Whole Wheat Waffles on her blog. They're 100 percent whole wheat, and I never would have though the waffles would turn out so crisp! But they did and now this is one of my favorite waffle recipes. They were just perfect with a dab of Earth Balance, a tiny drizzle of maple syrup, and some powdered sugar.

Over at Veg Web, they call this sandwich the EEE-ZEE CHEE-ZEE Grilled Cheese. The title is laughable, and the ingredients are a bit laughable too, but I ended up liking the sandwich. If you decide to make it, read the comments by the other Veg Webbers for tips on making it as yummy as possible.


I've made a few batches of ice cream since the last time I posted ice cream, but I was in the mood for some commercial vegan non-dairy frozen dessert and my mom was in a generous mood at the grocery store (a sign of a recent payday, haha). And that is the way Cherry Nirvana made it into my freezer. I actually made it last seven whole days - I'm so proud of myself! The Purely Decadent line isn't nearly as good as Soy Delicious or Tofutti, but it's nice to have something cold in the summer heat.

Dreena's Cashew Banana Ice Cream is fabulous, though, by the way! It only requires a food processor, too -- no need to dirty up the ice cream machine. I highly recommend it. Oh, and I made it with peanut butter.
I'll try to keep up with posting as best as possible over the next four weeks. You can only study for organic chem so much, right? (Well, not according to my teacher... In his case, if you have a free second to breathe and be by yourself, you're not studying enough.)
40 comments:
Hang in there with your organic chemistry class, and keep eating deliciously!!!! :0)
UGH, Orgo is the #1 reason I decided against majoring in nutrition. I am so sorry you have to go through it in the summer!!!
But at least you have delicious food to help you combat all te stress... and I just saw that Purely Decadent has come out with new flavors that they don't even have listed online yet-- some of the ones I can remember off the top of my head-- snickerdoodle, ky lime pie, and a line of coconut-milk-based ice creams. Mmmmmm.
Yup, Jamba Juice uses Vitamixes. All the big chains do, I think. They just work so well (ah, I love my new boyfriend a little too much, maybe...)
I wish I had your courage to take organic chem in order to major in nutrition! (I don't understand why a nutritionist needs organic chem but to become a doctor, one doesn't need to take a SINGLE nutrition course!!!)
Wow, your class sounds like a lot of work, but I'm sure it will be so worth it once you're finished- just hang in there!
That EEE-ZEE CHEE-ZEE sandwich actually sounds really good! I'm eager to try it just to see how it turns out.
I just bought some Purely Decadent too! Mocha Almond Fudge for me, and Turtle Trails (or something like that) for my hubby. So good in this heat!
Good luck in chemistry!
That's cool you want to be a registered dietitian. We were on the dietitian track for nutrition majors, but we switched to just the molecular track because we want to work for food companies and not do a dietetic internship.
Organic chemistry was very hard when we took it - we actually are taking the organic chem 2 lab next summer session, starting in two weeks! Not looking foward to it! Hang in there - biochemistry is MUCH more challenging, unfortunately!
Wow, for someone so busy, you still manage to make incredible meals! I'm usually lucky if I can scrape together some hummus and veggies when things get that hectic. It all looks so good...!
It's so nice to hear from you! Your tales of chemistry are making me not look forward to next summer...oh, well. It's all for the love of food!
So many yummy things you've been eating. I am intrigued by those raw coconut pancakes--I LOVE coconut.
Good luck with chem--I'll be busy memorizing every single muscle and bone in the body for my anatomy class...
fingers crossed for you! at least you're eating super delicious meals, that's for sure.
Oh, I remember taking O-chem in the summer semester. It was hell, but I liked getting it over faster than spreading it over a fall/winter course. But, damn it was HARD!!!
Good luck :)
And, drink green smoothies if you're not already. I SO wish I had been vegan in college.
I LOATHED org chem when I did it last year and was sure I failed- yet I didn't, so I believe that good things will happen to good people- you'll be fine!
Organic chemistry sounds fun to me! I'm a chem nerd.The EEE-ZEE CHEE-ZEE sounds good. How did you clamp the edges together like that?
I didn't have to take organic chem, and after reading your post I am SOOOOOOO thankful! As always, beautiful food & pictures :) Soon it will be all over, you can totally do it!
Good luck with your class! All of that food looks great =]
That wrap looks amazing!!!
funny I bought purely Decadent today too! I thought it was GREAT (im allergic to soy so its the only non dairy ice cream I've had)
Phoenix and disney!!! Thats where I did my show last year! My and the BF went to disney land on Christmas! It was sosoos much fun... In phoenix.. you NEED to go to Sedona and see the Red rocks...They have a really spiritual community over there ( Lots of psychics and healers) ITs really cool and totally fun... (not to mention breathtakingly beautifuL!)
In disney land.. GO ON GLIDING! Whatever the wait is... its absolutely amazing
god im getting all excited thinking about it... your going to have a blast!
congrats for taking organic chem! I hate science labs; love science, just not the labs...in fact, I'm currently trying to convince myself to minor in Environmental Studies, but the required labs are making me shake in my boots!
good luck with the class! I'm sure you'll succeed with the amount of time you are putting in!
OH dear, gotta love the ochem. I just finished my year of it, and it was hell. But somehow I ended up adoring chemistry, just really is fascinating. If you need any help or advice or what not, Im still fresh on the subject.
Good luck!
oh and btw. I had purely decandent's turtle trails or something. It tasted like cookie dough vanilla ice cream, with delectable chocolate covered caramelized walnut pieces. It was to die for. Id definitely recommend that one over any other flavour.
Good luck with the chemistry class! How cool that you're studying to be a dietician. I kinda wish I'd have done that.
All the food looks amazing, especially that seitan wrap. I should really start using more mangoes.
Oh I feel for you.. o-chem was torture for me back in school, I absolutely hated my prof. But you'll get through it! At least you have an awesome vacation to look forward to once it's done.
It has been way too long since I've had a waffle.... and your seitan wrap looks so delicious!!
everything looks so awesome! and organic chemistry? eek! you're awesome to be taking that class though - i know i couldn't do it! :)
looks like you've got lots of yummy foods to feed your brain! yay!
Fear of organic chem kept me from pursuing a nutrition degree, so I do commend you.
I remember you said you made the raw pancakes - they look really great. I can't wait to try them. I also can't wait for another batch of Dreena's banana ice cream (which I make with peanut butter too)!
Good to see you're still eating well even with all the studying. The baked goods and ice creams in particular look delicious. I remember when friends in college took organic chem and I just didn't see them for extended periods of time.
Your posts are always so amazing and drool-worthy! That food looks SO good! That wrap, those scones, that grilled cheese sandwich! Unfortunately, your organic chemistry class doesn't sound quite as appealing...
Mmmm it all looks really yummy- especially the raw pancakes, the raw waffles and the ice cream!
I am so impressed that you made your own ice cream! I tried once but it was not very good so I haven't tried since!
I think tofutti is probably my favourite ice cream, although I recenty tried Swedish Glace which was really tasty. Can you get that over in the US?
Hey RRV, sorry to hear school is taking up such a big part of your life right now! The chem class sounds very tough. good luck with all the hard studying - it will pay off!
But your food still looks delicious, this post is just packed with yummy pictures. That seitan wrap makes me hungry, I have to try something like that sometime!
I think I tried a recipe from VwaV once and it turned out much more cake-like instead of crumbly. There are a few different recipes in there, maybe we didn't make the same one? I thought maybe I'd made a mistake with mine, because the batter was rather thin... Anyway, the cranberries and cinnamon sugar sound so good!
And your waffles! I always love your waffles. Looks like I should give that recipe a try, too!
Thanks for your comment about my 'pastries with weird name spellings', by the way - made me laugh :D
You've been tagged, see my blog for details!
You've been tagged by me!
Go to my blog for more details =]
Ooh, come visit me when you're in L.A.!!
P.S. When you go to Disneyland, the vegetarian gumbo in a bread bowl that's sold at the stand outside the Pirates of the Caribbean is vegan and incredibly delicious. I hope you try it! My blog has many of my vegan/vegetarian L.A. restaurant adventures, so that might help in your planning, too. If you have questions, feel free to ask!
Where to begin? Everything looks great! And your class will be over soon enough & then you can get on with your life. :)
MMmm that first seitan/mango wrap looks so colourful! Which means it must've been delicious!
I haven't made anything exciting in the oven for ages... i think its time to whip up another batch of quinoa muffins!
Girl, you NEVER have to apologize for being absent on commenting! As I've said before, I can't imagine how much of your life organic chem is gobbling up right now!
I watched Ratatouille last night and I thought of you :o)
Hey! First time commenting...just wanted to let you know how much I like your blog and especially your food photography! I love how you always seem to get the natural light...something I am still working on :)
Wow, that food looks so amazing!!! Yum! :)
Okay, I loved organic chem so I can't feel your pain, but I wish you the best of luck and if you need any help with problems, let me know! Those pics are lovely--great brain fuel!
im new to your blog, but absoutly LOVE IT! :o) your pictures look amazing as well as whats in them. i am working on veganism too (i amworking on switching from a lacto-vegetarian to a vegan) i think your blog looks amazing and keep up the great work! :oD
well, this is a compliment - I have to stop looking at food blogs now! I tried, I did (I'm fasting), and I was doing okay, but then I got to all your food and it was pretty much game over! sooooooo yummy looking.... :OOO
Post a Comment