Of course, before I returned to school I had to make some quick good-bye meals in my family kitchen. I will dearly miss that kitchen this semester.

I think I drank my body weight in maple syrup this winter break. Just kidding! But I do think I had maple syrup a lot with my breakfasts, if you add up all the times I made vegan pancakes and French toast this break. Thank goodness I am physically active every day, and that I have an ongoing love affair with steamed vegetables to balance it out.

I don't have breakfast for dinner very often, but it's nice and nostalgic (think: the old days at IHOP) when I do. I had French toast again, but this time I used a recipe containing tahini from Veg Web (recommended by the lovely Vegan Noodle). I scaled back the recipe and only used one tablespoon of tahini in the dipping batter, but I should have used more because I could barely taste it. Too bad. It's my own fault that I just can't make myself follow directions sometimes.

Here's a kick-butt, super-filling, super-healthy breakfast I made one morning. Add a glass of unsweetened soymilk (my favorite), and it has all the food groups! This was definitely a great start to the day.


The breakfast consisted of steamed mustard greens, orange wedges, fat-free 100% whole wheat pumpkin spice muffins (pcrm.org), and a Chicago Diner tofu scramble containing tahini, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, and soy sauce.


I've only made one thing since I've come back to college: a Ruby Red Vegan twist on Ashasarala's unbeatable hot cocoa recipe. What's better than dairy-free hot chocolate? A dairy-free, vegan mocha! Since I don't have soy whipped cream on hand (I've actually never tried it), a dollop foamed soymilk does the trick. I am so blessed to own an espresso machine. I made the mocha with steamed soymilk, a shot of decaf organic & fair trade espresso, cocoa powder, unrefined sugar, pure vanilla extract, and the tiniest little pinch of sea salt. You can made Ashasarala's hot cocoa on the stove top if you don't have an espresso machine. I just put the cocoa, sugar, vanilla, salt, and water mixture in a small bowl in the microwave, stirring to dissolve the clumps. I got the cute new mug for Christmas!


I'm so sorry to have neglected the blogging community for the past week and a half! I still love you all. I have just had barely any leisure time for the computer; I have not fallen off the planet. But I'm back and settled in, so hello again, everyone!
23 comments:
Yikes that is a busy week! Nice to see you managed to fit in that wholesome looking tofu/muffin breakfast - looks fantastic!
Sounds like you'll be needing to squeeze in another vacation soon to make up for this past week! (come to England!! see it properly this time :p)
Yay, it's great that you're back and blogging again :o). And, your breakfasts look so good as usual. How do you have the energy to cook all that first thing in the morning?!
Just curious, what sport do you play? (for the out-of-state school tournament)
Tahini with toast is always great. I usually tend to put too much rather than too little. That is a nice breakfast! I tend to go with coffee and a croissant.
welcome back!! I understand the busy-ness that you've been enduring; but at least you're still managing to eat well!! ahh, vegetables - I always have a love affair with them ;0)
don't get too stressed!!
I've never tried tahini with toast! Sounds delicious!
Wowowow!! Breakfast is my favorite meal, and these all look so delicious. It's unfortunate that you can't cook like you do at home. I don't know how you survive!
Oh, the joys of college, eh? I graduated last May, and still every once in a while, wake up in a cold sweat with thoughts of "did I get that assignment in" or "am I going to pass my final?" Ha! OK, well maybe a big of exaggeration, but I know how you feel!
What they don't tell you in college though, is that once you graduate, you have to enter the real world, which means going to work Monday thru Friday from 8-5 (or in my case 7:50-4:20 'cause I'm lucky and my boss rocks and let me pick the schedule that works best for me. I was lucky to get a job I enjoy, and I hope the same for you.
That French Toast looks wonderful!
And your fruit, muffin and greens breakfast, not only does it look super tasty, it looks nice and healthy as well. This would be a wonderful way to start your day as well.
That vegan mocha, oh that vegan mocha, what a beautiful sight it is. This might be one of the residual effects from college, but I am addicted to coffee. Oh, yeah, seriously. This is making me want to go home to my sad espresso machine and try this out myself. Too bad I have to work today!
Wow, your breakfasts look teriffic. Makes me wonder why I never take the time to prepare something healthy and yummy looking like that... at least I always drink an espresso with foamy soy milk on top. Foamed soy milk is something I could eat plain. Or dip my cookies in <3 Awesome!
Hey there Ruby Red! Glad you're getting settled in. I must say all of your breakfasts are just amazing. Your family will certainly be missing you be around!
So glad you have better access now to a stove and oven... does that mean we will be seeing lots more of your cooking? I hope so :-)
Your breakfasts all look so good! Maybe it will help get me out of my oatmeal rut!
A mock trial tournament sounds like so much fun! We did a mock trial once in my high school history class... I got to be a lawyer, and I loved it! (Doesn't mean I want to go to law school though!)
And wow, you are really disciplined to go to the gym 6 days a week!
I'm so, so happy you love the cocoa! We must spread the warm chocolate love around! :) I haven't had any in a while. I'm trying to be good. But your version looks oh-so-tempting. I would love an espresso machine! No fair! Ah, maybe someday.
Never was a fan of french toast, myself, but your toast looks quite scrumptious, nevertheless. I'd come over for breakfast any day!
Good luck with staying sane in your journey back into college life. ;) I swear, it scares me to just think of stepping foot back into a classroom. I do admire your energy!
Come visit any time, RRV!
I should really start cutting the recipe into eigths. I really don't like throwing something away simply because I made too much of it.
Lol, yes the boy is new. He's an omni... for now ;o)
(I see tofu in his near future!)
Welcome back! I am so excited that you have a stove and an oven. Way to go! Your French toast looks wonderful and I love tofu scramble. By the way, I love my Magic Bullet and my daughter, Brandie does too. So far I have only chopped nuts, ground millet, made tarter sauce and chopped garlic in it. I think it works great for small versions of what you would use your food processor for. Brandie make smoothies every morning with hers. Great investment especially in a dorm. They are small and compact too!
I think your breakfasts beat my breakfasts any day of the week :o) and maple syrup is so good! I love having it with breakfast (or pretty much anything else!), pity it's kind of expensive.
Also, that hot cooca... heaven!
anyway, glad you're all settled now, I hope you'll enjoy that new dorm. A stove an oven sound pretty promising :D
I'm bad and never eat breakfast, but yours sure look fantastic. I'm glad you eat it, cuz it sounds like you need it! Study hard this semester!
Oh my goodness, I am laughing so hard right now because of your flour-covered vegan comment!
Maybe I should change my name...
your breakfasts look dreamy! i wish i had time to make breakfast more often (working at 630 am three days a week isn't very inspiring).
in response to your questions, i worked at cafe latte dec 2003-feb 2006 (off and on at the end, and for a while, 6 days a week and i still wasn't getting full-time hours. don't ever work there, it's horrible). and now i work at the wedge coop (while it has its problems, it is SO much better than latte).
what a gorgeous balanced breakfast you are sporting here--the oranges with those greens look so lovely and bright. love them!
good luck with your back to schoolness.
Nice foam.
Your breakfast makes me happy, because often when I see photos of other vegans plates of food I feel like SUCH a pig. Yours makes me feel human. ^__^
Post a Comment