I hate receiving flowers. You have to be one freakishly special guy if you want me to smile when you hand over the floral bouquet. Not too long ago, a guy who knew, whom I had expressly and emphatically told, that I did not like getting flowers, gave me a vase of tulips. WHY?! Sigh. Are boys stupid?*
When I told Gena this story, she responded that I am unconventional. Boys don't know what to do with me because they cannot get away with treating me like any other girl. Just like Gena doesn't like a boyfriend to call her "cute," I similarly have preferences that are not the usual and live life along a different beat. Unfortunately, vegan goodies and whole foods aren't very conventional. The following items are the things that have recently invaded my unconventional tummy.
Roasted almonds. Dark chocolate. Gooey vegan marshmallows. What more could a girl ask for? Sweet & Sara's Rocky Road Bark tasted just as glorious as it looks. WOW. You can get these from Cosmo's Vegan Shoppe. This was so good I actually had to buy another one the next week.
[Pizza made with mozzarella Teese, Trader Joe's Whole Wheat Pizza Dough, balsamic-and-olive-oil-marinated tempeh, red onion, olives, and sun-dried tomatoes]
I have never made myself pizza before! What a fun culinary adventure! I guess it helps to have a pizza stone, which I don't, but my crust got really soggy and thin in the middle. Whilst I was chowing down, I got messy but it was super tasty! Now I really, really want to make a calzone with Teese!
I would eat another one of these in a heartbeat...
[CINNAMON BLISS premium organic ingredients: Almonds, cashews, pecans, agave nectar, orange juice and rind, spice.]
Titled Cinnamon Bliss, this raw vegan cinnamon roll by Journey to Bliss Raw Foods is heaven on earth. It's a big ole 6-ouncer though (not to mention its big ole price tag of $7.99), so portion control is a must. For perspective, a Larabar is 1.6 to 1.7 ounces. Yeah, this baby is big. It doesn't taste like a Larabar, though - it is a touch fancier! So wonderful! It comes with a warning, though: Tastes best refrigerated - and don't take that lightly!
Nora from Pride & Vegudice did a Weil Bar giveaway on her blog, and my winnings arrived in the mail earlier this week - check it out:
An entire box - 16 bars! - of Goji Moji Weil Bars, as well as three other flavors and two cookies baked by Nora herself (the chocolate PB fudge ones from the Simple Treats cookbook, which remind me of my favorite vegan packaged cookies). Woo - it feels good to be a winner! It has been five days since I received the package, so naturally I have devoured the cookies and have sampled all four bar flavors. My favorite bar? Glad you asked:
Deeelish! I shall be buying the Pistachi-Oh! flavor again! As for the Chia Razz...'twas too much on the fruity end of the spectrum (as opposed to nutty), so I wouldn't eat that one again, even if it was free. On the other hand, what I love about the Goji Mojis are the dates, figs, cashews, and goji berries, but these are among several other ingredients. These bars are fruitier more than nutty as well. I like them a lot but I think Dr. Weil should increase the cashew-ness; if he were remaking the bar just for me, it would still contain the dates, cashews, figs, and gojis, but omit the other extraneous ingredients (e.g., cranberries and possibly the citrus too). I love figs, Dr. Weil! The Banana Manna was great but tasted just like the banana-flavored Larabar.
Once upon a time, I was proclaimed the Breakfast Queen by my wonderful friend Chocolate Covered Katie, and I have been churning out new oatmeal combinations like mad. I had this bowl bright and not-too-early this morning:
[Rolled oats, quick-cooking steel-cut oats, sea salt, whipped bananas, Tempt Original Hempmilk, chia seeds, cinnamon, raw almonds, and a chunk of an Honest Foods Maple Almond Crunch Granola Plank]
For the preparation of these granola-crumble oats, I used my Oatmeal Risotto technique (which I explain in this post). I stirred in the chia seeds before heating up the last bit of hempmilk (which I cooked over low-medium heat because I feel like hemp is more delicate than soy), and I was so surprised at how fast the chias plumped up and gelled in the presence of heat! I let the oats cool and thicken longer than normal so I could taste the flavor of the chia better, and then I added the almond and granola toppings.
I am madly in love with these granola planks. They are so fresh, almond-buttery, and maple-y. I reserve them solely for oatmeal toppers. They are that special. Oatmeal is a sacred meal in my kitchen. I don't mess around with the oats.
Another winner, my first foray into oats-eaten-chilly-from-the-fridge:
[Rolled oats, vanilla soymilk (though I prefer hempmilk), sea salt, chia seeds, whipped bananas, shredded unsweetened coconut, raw cacao nibs, and hazelnuts]
[Rolled oats, vanilla soymilk (though I prefer hempmilk), sea salt, chia seeds, whipped bananas, agave-ginger cashews, shredded unsweetened coconut, and raw cacao nibs]
With the last two bowls pictured, I cooked the oats and a pinch sea salt in water, removed from the stove, whipped in some thinly sliced bananas, and then stirred in the chias and soymilk. After a few initial stirs and a 15-minute fling in the fridge, they were ready for adding fun toppings and eatin'! This differs from the method used for the granola-crumble oats because for these, the chia seeds gelled up in the chilly atmosphere of the fridge rather than directly in the stove pot.
In summary, the moral of my breakfast story is I love chia seeds in my oats! They have replaced flaxseed in my breakfast routine for now - at least, while my wallet can keep up. I wish ChiaSeedsDirect.com would ship their chias in smaller amounts than 4.5 pounds! I got mine from a natural foods co-op grocery - the brand is Love Raw Foods, and I got a half-pound for $6.50. Not bad!
I love sharing my new foodie loves with you - thanks for taking a peek! I start classes on Monday - this is my senior year of college! Woo.
*[Note: Just for clarification, I would rather have nothing than get flowers. I would prefer a lot of unpleasant things happen to me over getting flowers. I don't want to take care of them. I don't want to have to change the water. I don't want to have to watch them wilt and get ugly. I don't want to have to clean my counter every day because the petals etc. shed all over. I don't want to see them snatched out of the ground, from where those pretty flowers belong and are very happy and perky, and thrust into my ungrateful hands. And most of all, flowers from an anything-but-perfectly-ideal male source are just creepy and give me an icky feeling. Anyway, I told him I was a dark-chocolate-kinda girl. I don't even care if I don't get a gift at all - just. NO. flowers! Whew.]
23 comments:
HAHA!! Well even though I DO like receiving flowers from guys, I'd prefer the chocolate as well ;)
Katie ALWAYS has great breakfast recipes and ideas - looks delish!!
"Are boys stupid?"
Of COURSE they are! Do you really not know that by now? ;)
And we are two peas in a pod because I don't like getting flowers either. I hate thinking how they were picked, and I hate even more how they die so quickly!
You will always be the breakfast queen to me. I just hope someday I can be the recipient of one of your lovely brekkies :)
those planks are yummy!! and that rocky road thing looks awesome, as well as the raw cinnamon roll thing. mmmm.
Your unconventional eats look far more interesting than flowers! Seriously, your oatmeal combinations sound so good. I make oatmeal constantly, although I've never tried it with chia before.
I don't mind getting flowers,but I agree that it's nice to get something unconventional every once in a while too. Whenever my boyfriend buys me something, no matter what it is, I am happy just because he thought of me.
Yes boys are stupid. Everyone knows that! I would prefer the chocolate too. Flowers mean I'm sorry, chocolates mean I love you =) Ooo and I HATE being called cute too! Makes me feel like I'm five.
The pizza, bark, raw cinnamon roll, and oatmeal creations are just too much good food! I'll be trying that oatmeal risotto recipe ASAP! Mmm and cold oats are the best! What was the measurements for the oats? I'm intrigued by using both rolled and steel cut!
I don't particularly like flowers - I mean, I think they're pretty and can brighten up a room, but most of the time I think they're a waste of money. Once my boyfriend sent me some on Valentine's Day and I found out how much they cost that I yelled at him, exclaiming I'd rather have a kitchen appliance. Ha!
Chocolate, however, is definitely the way to any foodie girl's heart. Holy Sweet & Sara, that looks AMAZING!
I just got my first sample of chia seeds in the mail and I am so excited to try them!!!
Your pizza looks heavenly! I love the idea of balsamic tempeh with tomato sauce.
And of course I love breakfast. Oat risotto with all of those goodies...mmmm. It looks very delicious and filling!
Have fun back at school!
I'm not a big flower person, unless they come in a pot...with dirt....so I can keep them forever!
I love the new and interesting foods! And your oatmeals are making me hungry!
Yet another mouthwatering post! I've never tried that flavor of Dr. Weil bars, but I love pistachios, so I have high hopes...
I start classes Monday too...keep in touch, my dear:)
Rocky road bark!?!? Cinnamon bliss??? I think I'm going to faint - they look beautiful. And don't even get me started on that pizza.
I don't like receiving flowers either, they just die after a few days. I would much rather be gifted with a huge hunk of vegan chocolate, that is my kind of present!
You can send those tulips over here anyday--they are my favorite!
I am definitely going to try those cold oats. Just to check, when you say that you "whip" in banana slices, you just mean you fold them in or do you literally mean you use a hand mixer or something?
love those weil bars, the banana one is amazing, i like it better than the banana lara, it has like date chunks :) so good...well love your blog, and your oats look amazing.
xo
Eliza
everything looks amazing! love the oats, and love the weil bars so good!
xo
maya
whoa, that rocky road bar looks too good to be true. Good luck with the start of classes!
Yeah, boys are stupid...it's common knowledge! And you can't really train them either :(
I find that if I heat the tray that I'm going to be cooking the pizza on while the oven is warming up then put the pizza on it (it's easier to roll out the dough then put it on the tray and load all the toppings on then...just make sure they're all ready to go) I get a lovely crisp crust. Just make sure the oven is super hot...
I always tell Lucas that I don't like getting flowers, but I secretly do -- as long as they aren't expensive ones! Chocolate is always a great gift, IMHO.
One of these days I'm coming over to your place for breakfast! You're so inventive with your morning meal, whereas I tend to let myself get into a rut. Those maple almond planks are amazing!
I have yet to try the Sweet and Sara rocky road, but I don't think they could make a bad product if they tried!
And seriously, I take being unconventional as a positive personality trait!
you really are an artist with oats!! and I totally get reserving special things just for the porridge - I swear about 1/6 of my cupboard and freezer space is devoted entirely to oatmeal extras. Mmmmm wish I could try some of those planks on top, and I'll have to give chia a go sometime, too! I've been relying on flax seeds a lot lately since I'm doing the ground up raw groats these days, and chia might just do the thickening trick for a nice change of pace.
and yeah, boys are pretty stupid. :D
I'm so glad you liked the bars! :)
That raw cinnamon roll looks to die for too. I can't believe it's so big!
And I've said it before, and I'll say it again, You are the oatmeal MASTER. I mean, mistress!
I won Nora's box of Weil bars too and they were so good.
That raw cinnamon roll is the most unconventional food I've ever seen. I would love try one of those.
ooh, everything looks so good!
It all looks so good. So is the teese better than follow your heart cheese? We miss pizza!
Hi@@
I'm loving your blog!! Another new blog addiction for me, just what I need.. haha..
I just started my blog, and would love for you to check it out too!!! Follow me!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
http://dairyfreebetty.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment