
I used a recipe swell vegan gave me, but of course I didn't have all the ingredients and kicked myself a little for still making peanut sauce without them. But I could tell from what I made that the recipe is worth it, so I'm going to Whole Foods in a few minutes to stock up so I can have the real thing for dinner. Yay!
Right now in lifecycle nutrition we're doing group presentations, and I won a prize for answering one of the presenter's quiz questions. The prize was my favorite Luna bar (Blueberry Yogurt - it's one of the Luna Sunrise ones), and it didn't take me long to figure out what to do with it.
And thus I present: Luna Oatmeal!

For this I only used half of the bar. I broke the half into little cubes with the help of my knife and just stirred it into my oatmeal. This is such a great little idea of mine, in my own humble opinion, because you can enhance the flavor of your oatmeal by adding (half of) any Luna or Clif bar of your choice. For oatmeal this week I have been preparing quick oats in water, mashing in sliced banana pieces after cooking, stirring in some ground flaxseed, and eating it all up with some fresh ground unsalted peanut butter! I'm in love with Whole Foods' grind-it-yourself right now, and because I've gotten so used to almond butter, going back to peanut butter for a few days has been especially refreshing and fun because it has distinct, strong flavor when it's fresh ground!
And cinnamon coffee cake muffins, inspired by my childhood love for coffee cake.

They'd serve it at day care all the time, so just the smell of it is a comfort food in my book. I used a recipe from Adventures in (Vegan) Cooking and reduced the sugar by half with no ill effects. In fact, they were amazing! The recipe for the streusel topping makes a ton, and I only made half of that, too. If you're a coffee cake lover, I'd say make 'em muffin style. (They cook so much quicker.)
And for good measure, Dreena's Homestyle Chocolate Chip Cookies with cashews!

I make this recipe all the time, and this is the first time I used whole grain spelt. They still taste great - I didn't even notice a difference and I usually use "refined" spelt. A friend who tasted them told me the added cashews make for a great salty/sweet combo (there is no salt on the cashews, but there is sea salt in the recipe). Mmm!
27 comments:
Yay! I'm first!
Your oatmeal recipe for this week sounds amazing! I don't know if you read loveofoats's blog, but she broke up one of the new mini LUNAs in her oatmeal this week too. Great minds think alike, I guess. Anyway, I will def have to try that!
I wanna go to your daycare--coffee cake?!
nothing better than HOMEMADE peanut sauce - it has a richer flavor!
Luna Oatmeal?? How innovative!!
those muffins and cookies look delicious as well!!
Oooh. Those muffins look delicious!
Oh you eat so many delicious things, I wish I could try some of it...
I love peanut sauce too! I tried making it myself one time, but the result wasn't very good. I didn't really know how to do it, anyway... I'm going to look up a recipe and try again soon!
The oatmeal looks delicious, as your breakfasts always do!
I've never tried them with nuts or spelt flour, but I think Dreena's chocolate chip cookies are always good!
What a BRILLIANT idea to crumble up a luna bar into oatmeal! I love luna bars and oatmeal, so I'll be trying this for sure!
And cashews in chocolate chip cookies must be a great addition. Once again, I'll be keeping that in mind....
you make the most tasty stuff to eat! those self-grinding nut machines are so fun! mmmm...almond butter...!
That is my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe ever. They are so awesome, they brought back my love for chocolate chip cookies. (Which I found terribly boring for years.)
I need oatmeal. There are just too many yummy-looking things to do with it to resist any longer.
What a great idea on using Luna bar pieces as an oatmeal topper! Sounds not only amazingly tasty, but nice and filling/healthy, too.
And wow, everything else looks so good, now I just want to start up a batch of cookies for myself!
Homemade peanut sauce? How yummy! And your cookies look soooo tasty. Great idea adding cashews. Thanks for the inspiration!
Those muffins look amazing! I love love love cinnamon... warmed up w/ a little Earth Balance, I bet they'd be the perfect Sunday breakfast.
Kimberly:
They were the perfect little breakfast! Since it is coffee cake, I had to make a latte to savor them with and dunk them in. :)
I love peanut sauce, too! Actually, I think most folks who can eat a peanut do, too! And here are those muffins again! they are taking over the blogosphere!! I am going to have to give in and make them!
I LOVE spelt flour. It's my absolute favorite! Funny that you should post about this cookie recipe, too, because I just Googled it today. I have been meaning to try it, but I just haven't yet. Yours look great!
Hmm. It looks tempting. I've always had trouble with the concept of peanuts in cooked food, but it is a challenge I shall have to overcome. Perhaps I'll give this a try when I'm feeling adventurous.
Very nice blog, BTW. Going back now to read more about your Disney World trip.
my goodness, you've been busy!
What a lovely selection of goodies. I didn't know that those Luna Sunrise bars were vegan. That's good to know! I found out that their Z Bars weren't totally vegan and I was so bummed, because up until that point, I thought all Clif Bars were vegan. So, then when I saw the "yogurt" flavors, I just ignored them. Now I will try one. I am a big bar fan. Anyhow, it's a great idea to use in oatmeal. Clever!
Also, I must say, I love that beautiful blue plate!
:)
Hey! Thanks for dropping by and checking in. =) I HAVE been insanely busy. We're in the midst of recording and it takes up all of my free time! I used to be able to blog at work, but since I switched departments, there has been very little time for that. I do plan on coming back into the veggie blogging world just as soon as recording is wrapped up. I miss you guys!
As usual, everything here looks so yummy. I would love me some peanut sauce right about now. Luna oatmeal is a great idea too. Who woulda thunk? I love Luna bars. Lime is my favourite. :)
The muffins and cookies look extremely good. I am completely enamored with cashews. Though, I must say, they come in second place to walnuts.
I can't wait to look through all your previous posts (I have a lot of catch-up to do). But I'll be back soon! I promise!
What a great idea to add a luna bar to oatmeal! I'm gonna be traveling in a few weeks and this is the perfect thing to make breakfast more interesting.
Isn't peanut sauce the greatest... I could drown just about anything in peanut sauce and lvoe it.
Luna oatmeal?! Woah girl, you are sooooo creative!
And your peanut stir fry looks divine as well.
Oh, and thanks so much for the muffin recomemndation. I ended up using the recipe to make banana bread... it was sooooooo scrumptious!!!! 1000 thanks.
Wow those cookies look great! Very creative with the oatmeal too.
aww you made my muffins! that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy :)
Those cookies look damn good, btw!
I'm glad you liked the dal & saag! I had Dal for lunch today!
Also, I'm baking something chocolately for YOU KNOW WHO! ;)
I am such a peanut lover too! I don't think I've ever had bad peanut sauce. Your treats look really yummy too.
Hope you’re having a nice, relaxing night, filled with yummy vegan foods :o). I can’t say I’m relaxing, as I have an exam tomorrow… but sooooon enough it’ll be summer!
I have only tried the smores Luna bar flavour, it tasted like a chocolate bar... Much healthier though Lol
I'm starting my own blog and was wondering if I could add you to my blog roll?
Mine is: http://veganbandwagon.blogspot.com/
I will make my first post tonight
Ooo, spelt flour in cookies! I love the taste that comes from baking with spelt flour.
Jamba Juice sells vegan pretzels?! How did I not know this??? Now I want to run to Jamba Juice... but the closest one is 30minutes away. Boo hoo.
the problem with knowing how to make your own peanut sauce is that you will now make it ALL THE TIME. That's what I do.
Post a Comment