It's almost embarrassing how many meals I have eaten at the Whole Foods salad bar this summer.
It is just so easy to get a quick, pretty, colorful, healthy meal there that I cannot get enough. I have also managed to get myself addicted to sparkling mineral water. I must continue to chant to myself that carbonated water is a privilege and not a daily entitlement. My Whole Foods meals are almost always a small scoop of grain salad, tons of veggies (especially kale salad!), a couple pieces of fresh fruit, a little scoop of beans, a slice of grilled tofu, a sprinkle of granola and dried cranberries, and a Larabar or other raw nut/fruit bar (I also like thinkFruit, Pure Bar, and the coconut & agave flavor of Raw Revolution live food bars). I just love getting a bite of each goodie in an enormous salad! To keep my energy up, I have also been having green smoothies as snacks instead of "healthy" vegan cookies, which I had started to treat as an obligation instead of something special.
Nope, that's not Shiner Bock. (Definitely not - even a couple sips of alcohol make me feel dehydrated and horrible!) Enter my Green Monster recipe, stage right:
- 2/3 cup Living Harvest Original Hempmilk
- 1 pinch sea salt
- a liberal splash of pure maple syrup
- 1 scoop raw almond butter (I use MaraNatha natural)
- a few banana chunks
- 1/2 cup frozen fruit (my favorites are raspberries, blueberries, and mango, but I choose just one - I don't combine them)
- a couple large handfuls of spinach
I know I talk a lot about the latest vegan ice cream that has entered my tummy, but I really do think this smoothie is just as good as ice cream - better actually, especially if you don't want to have your energy zapped later on.
One of my favorite meals I have made lately was a fun little platter. It reminded me of eating at Whole Foods because I just put a bunch of my favorite foods on one plate:
Marjon grilled tofu, cinnamon-lime pearled barley, roasted butternut squash, rutabaga fries (which I heard about from Shelby), sliced mango...
and curry ketchup (curry powder + ketchup), for rutabaga fry dippin'! I felt so fantastic after eating this. I loved every single morsel on my (rather huge) plate.
And finally, I hinted in my last post that I would tell you about my summer job(s). Oh, the suspense! Are you ready for this?!
Okay, here goes...
Bam:
I work at two (!!) coffee shops, and I have been working on my artistic side.
Here's my latest latte art:
Ze heart.
Ze rosetta:
Ze heart, again:
These days I have been trying to balance health and my love for quality (as in good-tasting!) espresso by limiting my coffee intake. I will tell you I had between 10 and 12 espresso shots last Friday (oops)(and it wasn't all my fault, seriously), but beyond that I have been trying to limit myself to 2 to 4 shots a day. I have found that after my initial double shot of the day, any kind of coffee makes me sleepy and un-energetic... But I drink espresso because I have access to the good stuff (some of the best stuff in the whole wide coffee-growin' world, actually), otherwise I would cut coffee out of my diet completely. Bad coffee isn't worth drinking, and if I had to drink that or nothing, I would just wean myself off of caffeine. Appreciating espresso and coffee is like a person's love for fine wine - coffee done right can have a multitude of tastes and nuances, floral tones, hints of fruit, chocolate, or nuts. But this pretty much won't happen if one is buying their coffee stale or at Starbucks. Anyway.
I just love espresso so much. Coming up, I'll be doing a review of Amy Ferraris's new movie, The Perfect Cappuccino. Thanks for letting me take a peek, Amy! Stay tuned for the review on this very blog. The Perfect Cappuccino is such a great film - it is so satisfying to encounter the thoughts someone who is as passionate as I am about cappuccinos. If you watch this movie, you'll know I am not crazy!!! I am not the only one who is obsessed with the perfect balance of microfoamed [soy]milk and espresso. :)
RRV out!
20 comments:
Wow, I can't believe you work at TWO coffee shops! That's crazy, you must be so busy.
I'm not a coffee snob like you, and just the thought of 10 shots makes my head spin (I always have to get 1 shot in my soy latte b/c 2 makes me restless and shaky), but I still know what you mean about the perfect foam. I sent a latte back at Sacred Chow in NYC b/c it was giant foam bubbles just like slopped on top of the liquid coffee part. no gradual transition, and the farthest thing from microfoam you could imagine! Blech. Anyways, your latte art looks great! Keep it up!
I love that your plate is all orange foods, and that's a good idea to make curry ketchup! maybe i'll make cinnamon ketchup next time i make sweet potato fries!
Wow, can I take you to Whole Foods with me? I'd love to have you assemble some meals like that for me!
I LOVE smoothies so much--they are my sweet treat at night so that I don't need vegan ice cream either.
Marjon grilled tofu is great--have you tried any of the flavored ones?
You are such a coffee artist!
Your latte art looks so amazing! I would be so ecstatic if I got a latte that looked like that.
jaysus - 10-12 expresso shots?? I pretty much gave up caffeine a while ago so I think that many would have me vibrating for a month!!
I love your latte art, it's so pretty.
All those plates look so tasty and good.
Ha ha, and I was worried about three shots a day!
Your fun little platter looks really delicious. I aslo like these kind of meals, it's like your own little buffet, isn't it?
I love the Whole Foods salad bar. I'm kind of glad the nearest WF is two hours away, or I'd be there every day, too. I'm with you on the sparkling water. I got addicted to Pellegrino. I'm thinking about buying a home seltzer maker--you can carbonate your own water. It's pricey, but I think it would pay for itself in a year with all the sparking water I drink, and I'd be using much less packaging.
Love your site!
Congratulations on the coffee shop job! That is wonderful =) You are such an amazing Latte Artist too!
I love how you added Maple Syrup to your GM...I've never seen anyone do that before. How creative!
I was just thinking of going to Whole Foods for some salad bar goodness today! Mmmmm..
there is NO SUCH THING as too many WF meals...they are building a new one in NYC SOOOO close to my apt, and i may as well just hand them over my credit card now...can you start a tab at a grocery store??
I haven't eaten at WF since you left for the summer...how sad! I need to get my butt over there :)
Wow - you're really drinking a lot of espresso, lol! 12 shots blows my mind!! Beautiful latte art, btw.
Your smoothie does sound good, but I dunno if it can replace ice cream...especially the Temptation kind! ;)
your latte art is lovely! The place I work gets from a local coffee place and some of it I even like... and now I feel right in the corporate world, since I have coffee with everyone else. and I owe my new appreciation for coffee to youuuuu!
All those plates with grilled tofu look so delish! I wish my Whole Foods hot bar had food that looked that tasty.
And I love the smoothie recipe. I'm gonna have to try adding raw almond butter to hempmilk, banana, and maple. Yummmm!
wow, i totally respect your ability to make cappucino/latte art. gorgeous! i love the whole foods salad bar and wish it was in my fridge at all times. besides the fac that it's SO expensive.
Hey pretty! Just posted on my love of coffee -- no amount of raw livin, it seems, will change this!
Hope you have an awesome weekend.
xo
Nothing wrong with the WF salad bar. Speaking of which, I think we need to do a little meet up at the Brentwood WF in August...for old time's sake.
Guess what...I ate a salad today of spinach, cherry tomatoes, and KALE straight from my garden. I hope its still coming in when you get back so you can enjoy it with me!
MMMM figs are my fav dried fruit! I wish I could pick you to win right now just for saying that, but that wouldn't be fair! haha. Next time I make the acaĆ smoothie, I'll be more aware of the exact measurements so I can post the recipe...you really will LOVE it. tastes like cocoa-berries.
Wow! Your coffee art is incredibly impressive!!!! I would be spilling more coffee on the floor than pouring into pretty designs if I worked as a barista...
I will make you a dessert pizza! What an awesome idea. Dessert pizza for dish washing - sounds fair, right?!
ummm i am kind of so in love with yr passions for good coffee and how you poured those lattes.damn.
i went on a cafe crawl(by bike!)2 weeks ago and had 8 shots of espresso and 1.5 clovers,and felt fine..until the next day when my stomach decided to 'explode' and basically fall out my other end non stop for the next 48 hours.
Awe.... I heart espresso! I lived in Italy for 2 years. That's where my love affair started.
"Un cafe per favore!"
-A
Ok so curry ketchup is genius. And I spent a good year eating the salad bar at Whole Foods every. day. Sometimes twice. I lived a block away and I think they installed magnets in the salad bar.
Did you feel completely insane after all that espresso!? I'm a coffee junkie too, but I get a little wobbly after 3!!
Post a Comment