All right, I must must must tell you about a new product find of mine and Jess's -- by the way, my friend Jess made a blog -- check it out! It's all vegan and all awesome! -- anyway, back to the product: Hemp Bagels from French Meadows Bakery. They are divine! The actual French Meadows Bakery is in Minneapolis, and I never got to go when I lived there, but now they are selling their products across the country in grocery stores' freezer sections. We found ours at our local Whole Foods! Tip: Sooo good with Justin's Maple Almond Butter...
Jess also hosted a potluck to celebrate her birthday and asked everyone to bring something vegan. I have a lot of photos from that, but they will have to wait for a future post! I know what you're most interested in, anyway: Cake! My gorgeous slice (don't worry, it was so good I had more): The whole honkin' cake:
The "small" cake was so big and tall I don't even want to know what a large looks like! Jess's hubby got it from a local bakery that does vegan options. It was German Chocolate (that means coconut, chocolate, and pecan).
Here's a lovely dinner I had the other night:
I got an amazing cast iron grill pan for Christmas and have been loving it! I used half of a House Foods Tofu Cutlet (look for the "Atsu Age" part on the label). These cutlets are freaking amazing! I don't know what "Atsu Age" means, but this is unlike any tofu you have ever experienced. It is so good you don't have to do anything to it. I just grilled it with salt, pepper, and olive oil. So, in even more words, these cutlets rock my socks and everyone should go out and buy some. You will be hooked and then super sad when they sell out at the grocery store every week (true story).
On to espresso updates. Here's a soy latte I got from a local coffee roastery:
It was pretty and it tasted good. I am aspiring to get my art to this point!
As you may know, I have a home espresso machine and fancy Italian grinder and have been practicing my own latte art. Here's the little section of my post where I update you on my progress, the good & bad & ugly (these are in the last two weeks or so):
Not too good.This looks weird/cool, but it definitely isn't latte art.
But...
Finally! Some progress! This is the first kind-of rosetta I have ever poured. It's a baby. Let's see that again:This is what I have been working towards:
I am so proud! This is actually a rosetta, and I made it the day I sifted and whisked some unsweetened cocoa powder into the espresso shots before I did the soymilk free pour. Yay!
And announcement time! I'm going to Chicago this weekend. !!!! In approximately 13 hours, Jess and I will be on the road! Stay tuned to hear about our adventure...because it's going to involve some crazy good vegan eats!
32 comments:
nice work on your fancy little coffee designs. Back in college I worked in a coffee shop, and it was fun trying to make pretty little shapes.
Love those bagels! And justin's almond butter!
The cake looks divine, as does your tofu!
The latte art looks really pretty.:)
Wow, I love that cake! And that tofu looks SO good.
Congratulations on your first rosetta! It's beautiful :)
I've never had those bagels but I LOVE that company.
You have serious skills when it comes to latte art!
Aww, Chicago...bring me with you to the delicious eats! I'm ashamed to admit I've never been to the Chicago Diner and I've lived here for more than 5 years!
What a yummy looking cake! And love the espresso art--how could you bring yourself to drink it? ;)
So if the small cake was really big, it means you saved some for me, right????
When I was a freshman in college, my dorm building had a party and there were four vegans in the dorm (it was a super-liberal college; can you imagine FOUR vegans in one dorm?!). Well, they got a regular cake for eveyrone else... and a whole entire vegan cake just for the four of us! My piece was HUGE! A whole 1/4 of a cake!!! It was soooooo yummy too (and I'm not ashamed to admit I ate most of it in one sitting! Ha!)
I used to eat those bagels DAILY - damn my wheat/gluten allergy :-(
GORGEOUS CAKE AND LATTE!!!
Now all I want is such a a bagel and one of your beutiful lattes.
you are the queen of lates... wow... thats beautiful!!!
Have loads of fun in Chicago! There are so many good vegan eats to try. Can't wait to see where you go. Try Yummy Yummy, if you have time to add more to your itinerary. :)
I'm really excited for Chicago, only 2 hours left til we hit the road!!! I'm so glad we tried those bagels, they are so awesome. Maybe we can find some cool new stuff to try this weekend! And yay for our new jars of Justin's :)
I'm super jealous of your espresso-making abilities!
Wow, I'd love to try hemp bagels! Have a safe trip to Chicago and keep up the great latte art!
Hey, you're getting pretty good with the lattes! Thanks for the hemp bagel alert. They look really great.
Have a blast in Chicago!
Congrats on your latte art progress! Very cool. Can't wait to hear about your Chicago vegan finds too!
I'll have to look for those bagels. And the maple almond butter! I've just discovered Mighty Maple peanut butter by Peanut Butter and Company, and it's my favorite thing in the whole world (I had some in my oats this morning with a little ricemellow cream!).
I read about those House Tofu cutlets in Skinny Bitch, but I can't find them here. :-(
Your coffee designs look great! I don't even have the patience to try!
The hemp bagel looks so yummy! I love it when they are loaded with seeds like that one!
That is a gorgeous birthday cake! I could just dive in right there in the middle and eat my way out!
Your tofu looks SO tasty! Cast iron pans make everything so much better!
Your rosettas are beautiful, both baby and mommy rosetta! The weird/cool latte art picture is awesome! I can see the profile of a duck on there! :P
I hope you have a fabulous time in Chicago!!
Your latte art is beautiful! I'm always amazed by how beautiful a cup of espresso can turn out.
YOU'RE COMING TO CHICAGO!!! You're coming just in time for the temperature to raise from the usual 10-20 degrees, to 50! I can't wait to see your post when you return and to see what you thought of Chicago.
Ruby! How lovely to hear from you! Looks like you've been enjoying some fine food! Have fun in Chicago--I expect full foodie details:)
Wow that is sooo cool with the latte art! I think that is amazing! Does it taste super sweet though? I have never tried anything like that. In fact, I actually only had a cup of coffee a handful of times thus far!
Here's what Cook's Thesaurus says about atsu age tofu: atsu-age = atsuage = nama-age Notes: This is a cake of pressed tofu that has been deep-fat fried, giving it a crisp and meaty exterior and a soft interior. The Japanese like to cut it into cubes and use it in stir-fries and soups. Before using, you should blanch and drain it, then prick it with a toothpick so that it will better absorb other flavors. Atsu-age is widely available in Asian markets. Substitutes: abura-age OR deep-fried tofu OR pressed tofu
wonderful what you can find out on the internet¡ Looks real tasty
Chicago, woo-hoo!!
I hope you guys have a great time and enjoy all that the city has to offer!
I'm sure you will have a blast. :)
I remember I used to eat those bagels all the time last year.. I don't remember why I stopped eating them. Thanks for the reminder!
Oh, and I tried a Cinnamon Roll Larabar and enjoyed it with a soy latte (Starbucks) and I remembered you. Such a delicious treat!
Can't wait for your next post.. don't keep us in suspense too long!
I forgot how tasty those hemp bagels are...a whole foods trip is in order. anyway, I'm really jazzed about the 21st. I'm also pretty excited to see your photos from chi-town. sorry, I had to say it. ;) Talk to you soon!
wow i just found your blog and I couldn't stop myself from wanting to tell you how AMAZING your dishes look. I am always on the look out for fabulous looking recipes and meal ideas and I must say you are a great source of inspiration! Thanks so much for your fabulous blog!
that cake looks sooooo good. i want to have a vegan potluck for my birthday! you guys are having a lot of fun, sounds like.
ok, i'm gonna go check out jess' blog.
pretty new to your blog but I love it! I am a student vegetarian but edging towards vegan (I dont eat dairy) and I love to read your posts. So interesting!! I think it would be cool if you did a day in the life and posted your meals for a day or two like Katheats. It would be fun to read. Thanks.
your latte is so pretty:)! and those bagels sound heavenly good
that cake looks so good!
I tried the French Meadows hemp rolls today and they're just as good as the bagels...mmm!! Chicago was a lot of fun, can't wait to see your pics :)
your latte art is loooooovely. i'm elle and i've been reading your blog for the past few weeks (the vegan blogging world is vast and such an eye-opener!) i'm from LA, home of the fabulous soy latte artwork from urth caffe (a must-go when you're in LA!) and i currently go to school... in CHICAGO! have fun-- maybe i'll even spot you at the chicago diner this saturday? have a lovely time!
hemp bagels + peanut butter + a mug of coffee is heavenly!
my first experience with latte art was pretty funny:
After a dinner in Rome I asked for a cappucino. Our extra-quirky waiter with thick-rimmed glasses headed over with the cup in his hand. He threw it in my face.
But nothing was in the cup yet, and he threw it the cup was held back by a spoon placed through the handle. Crazy. Absolutely crazy. Waiters should always be nutty magicians.
Then he brought me my real cappucino. He wrote "Ciao" in the foam.
I'm so jealous of all the good coffee you're drinking! There's only one cafe that I know nearby my place that does latte art, but it's not that good. Hit or miss.
Nice coffee designs :) verk ink-blotty some of them! I've started enjoying mochas in the coffee shop - i always thought i was a plain-black-coffee kind of a guy, but damn, those fancy coffees are tasty!
Keep us updated!!
Post a Comment