I have been so bad at posting recently! So I finally decided that the best way to get off my lazy bum and do more than just read your blogs would be to write a post about a few of my favoritest things.
1. Justin's Maple Almond Butter
My absolute favorites are...
Cashew Cookie
Peanut Butter Cookie
(Too bad about the stinky Salmonella scare! Hopefully everything will be cleared up and these lovely morsels of goodness will be back on shelves soon. No Salmonella-related illnesses have been reported as a result of peanut-containing Larabar products.)
I don't have a picture of the Coconut Cream Pie flavor, but that is only because it is so darn delicious that I must eat it as soon as I buy it.
I love having Larabars with a soy latte (see Love #4)! They are a great treat together. Perfect midday snack, oh yes yes yes. 3. Whole Foods MarketI eat meals here ridiculously often. In fact, Whole Foods Market is my favorite place to eat. I am obsessed with the fresh cranberry walnut rolls from their bakery, and I get the raw kale salad from their salad bar a lot. Whenever I see roasted root vegetables or roasted Brussels sprouts in their hot bar selection, of course I can't say no. The awesome part about eating at Whole Foods is that you can pick whatever you like from the hot bar and/or salad bar and make a meal of it. Between the bakery, freezer section, cookie aisle, multitudes of organic chocolate bars, and bulk foods section, I can always find a vegan dessert too.
Here are photos from my last few Whole Foods excursions...
Vegan Chicken Scallopini, cranberry walnut roll, raw kale salad, marinated mushrooms, curry sweet potatoes, and grilled vegetables
Here's a big shout-out to the Nashville Whole Foods location! They have the most intriguing and delicious and indulgent vegan down-home cookin' selections! On my plate are a couple of popcorn tofu cubes, steamed broccoli, fresh kale salad, wheatberry & quinoa salad, maple mashed sweet potatoes (Whole Foods actually made it with vegan margarine, oh my gosh!), and tofu 'n yeast with gravy (made with soy margarine, again, and nooch too -- I love you, Nashville Whole Foods!). OH, and their bakery makes 5 different types of vegan cookies for the cookie case. I picked the vegan peanut butter cookie, and it was excelente!
This meal and the one that follows are from Christmas Eve dinner and Christmas day dinner. I bought two servings of the items I wanted at Whole Foods and reheated them in the oven at my families' houses -- and I got two delicious meals! In both photos are a hazelnut cranberry roast wrapped in puff pastry (by the Field Roast company), roasted Brussels sprouts with pecans, cinnamon-dusted butternut squash, and cranberry walnut dinner rolls. My grandma made some pickled beets and the salad in the top pic, and in the bottom pic, I added some carrot sticks and broccoli florets to my plate (my other g-ma bought a giant raw veggie platter, and I ate like 2/3 of it just by myself on Christmas day!!!). My other aunt made some mushroom sauce and set some aside before she added the non-vegan ingredients, and the sauce was great over my Celebration Roast! I couldn't have asked for a better holiday dinner!4. Espresso
A lovely soy latte. I got this from a local coffee shop that roasts their own beans, so the espresso is fresh all the time. And the baristas know what they're doing. Check out the latte art:
Sadly, my own latte art is not up to snuff quite yet. Here's a recent pour I did:
In order for latte art to occur, you have to have several variables in place. (And of course you need an espresso machine.)
(1). Your espresso beans have to be fresh (not stale!), roasted recently, within the past two weeks at the very most, and they have to be ground right before you put 'em in the portafilter of the espresso machine. I buy my beans from local roasters every week or have beans shipped hot off the presses from my favorite roaster in Chicago.
(2). You need a straight-sided steaming pitcher for heating the soymilk. I got mine from intelligentsiacoffee.com.
(3). You have to microfoam your milk (soymilk, that is -- hehe) so it has a velvety, thick texture and no big bubbles! They must be micro-bubbles! To do this you have to have an espresso machine with a nice steam wand -- none of that auto-frother nonsense!
(4). You can't let the milk sit for too long after steaming. Even one measly minute may be enough to ruin your artistic endeavors. Latte art potential goes down as sitting time goes up! You gotta be fast, and pour that soymilky stuff right in after you microfoam it!
(5). You make latte art by pouring the textured milk into a cup that already has the hot little espresso shots waiting inside. You have to pour from the proper angle, at the right speed, and start rocking your hand at the proper point in the process. As you may be able to tell, that's the part I have trouble with.
(6). The artwork must taste good. Who cares if it's pretty if the espresso isn't exquisite?
Another failed attempt:
But I am getting better! I just made some art on a cappuccino yesterday and haven't uploaded the photo yet! I'll keep postin' my progress. :)
42 comments:
Hooray for more posts from you!!
Okay, so I'm OBSESSED with all your favorites, girl!! So holy yum and spectacular.
Take care, Ruby Red!! :-)
Never heard of Justin's maple almond butter, but I think I must find out if we can get it here (or else make my own!). And I think your latte art is actually prettier than the other one! (And how the heck do you DO that, anyway??!) ;)
Good to see you posting again! =)
Your favorites look a lot like my favorites! I love all the Larabar flavors you picked, and also the delicious Whole Foods meals.
I have yet to try that AB but maybe sometime in the near future.
I love that maple almond butter! I can only find the small packets though! I am to lazy and poor to order a jar. I always end up eating it with apples or carrots or even celery. So good. I am bummed the other flavors mostly have honey (cinnamon pb..). I wasn't a huge fan of almond butter until I tried that stuff though. YUM!
There is entirely too much yumminess in this post! And I want Maple Almond Butter!!!!!!!!!!!
Welcome back, Ruby Red! I've never tried that maple almond butter, but it looks great. Almond butter is so yummy. Keep up the good latte art. You're already far more talented at it than I will ever be! ;)
I so envy your for 1-3 which I don't have over here :(
i must try the almond butter! I've never heard of this brand before.
I think we should get another jar of Justin's MAB soon!! I totally agree about the Larabars, they are soooooo good. And I happen to know that you're eating lunch at Whole Foods today - so enjoy :)
Sorry, I don't know what's going on with my post!!
Glad to finally hear from you.. we've missed you!
Justin's Maple Almond Butter is the shiznit.. so tasty! Have you tried Barney Butter? That almond butter is INSANE!
I LOVE Cashew Cookie.. so rich. I also love your other two larabar picks (so sad about the PB recall). I just ate a Coconut Cream Pie bar.. mmm..
Holy yum, your meals at WF look soooo good! A homemade PB WF cookie that's VEGAN? Every WF I go to has slim pickings on vegan baked goods. Kudos to Nashville WF.
Have a good weekend, Ruby Red.. and keep those posts a-comin'!
I want to try that maple goodness! But I guess I shouldn't omplain, since I at least have access to my amazing pb&co maple. Haha a couple teaspoons, straight-up, for dessert? I often do the same thing (but with tablespoons). In fact, I think I'll go indulge now...
Yum! I love nut butters and Whole Foods!
hey! your espresso art is pretty amazing! You definitely have to make me a cup sometime soon. So, how were classes this week? Mine aren't too bad, but I'm so glad the weekend is here. I had planned on going to soulard today, but I ran in a race this morning and now I'm too cold and tired to even think about driving down there. However...there's an indoor farmers market next saturday at Schlafly bottleworks...I'm not sure what vendors will actually be there, but it looks like it might be pretty good. Interested? heres a link. check it out and let me know what you think. ;)
http://www.schlafly.com/market.shtml
what a super cute post!
I've never seen that almond butter before, but it sounds very good. The maple-almond flavor seems tasty.
I've also never tried the peanut lara bars, and I was so surprised to see them being part of the recall. Too bad.
Also, I just got back from 2 weeks in New Orleans, and I ate a LOT of food from Whole Foods. It really is good, and it was a great option for a city without too many veg friendly spots.
i would LOVE to try that maple almond butter! mm! i am also infinitely jealous that you have a whole foods near you. i've never even been to one.
plus, your latte pictures had me engulfed in google image search regarding latte art for about 1/2 an hour. awesome!
I went to the wholefoods in London last week, and I was quite impressed! It was like some sort of food mecca - I had a very exciting cupcake! I wish I could visit it more often, as I'm sure there were loads of things I could eat in there.
I'm sure you'll perfect your caffeinated art soon enough, but hey, as long as it tastes good eh!
I've always wondered how they do latte art! Awesome Job!
You do take your espressos very seriously! They look great. I'm very impressed by those Whole Foods offerings, I haven't seen that much prepared vegan food out here. And that almond butter sounds amazing.
Whole Foods DEFINITELY makes my world go round too :D
mmmm, larabars and espresso.... happen to be my two favorite things EVER! they definitely make my world go 'round :)
I love Justin's Maple Almond Butter!! Straight out of the jar is the way to go :)
So much Whole Foods goodness, makes me wish I wasn't so obsessed with germs. Oh well, I'll live vicariously through your WF eats!
Latte art sounds so complicated, but it looks so pretty!
Ooooh, I wish I had a Whole Foods near me to go eat such fancy schmancy things!
Latte art! How beautiful!
I have not had Justin's Maple Almond Butter before, but I am OBSESSED with Maranatha's raw almond butter. I have it almost every morning on an English muffin & I so love it. Almond butter is my BFF.
your latte art is so cool! all your picks sound amazing, you have a great blog!
i still have never had a lara bar! i see them everywhere, and everyone talks about them. i guess it's high time i tried one out.
i LOVE eating at whole foods too. it always gets so expensive though...and there's so much good stuff, it's hard to control myself.
I really like your posts! Please keep 'em coming! And I went vegan this year so they're more relevant. :)
I wish we had some good vegan eats in Lubbock, but that's what my kitchen is for.
I think your capp's look beautiful!
Mmmm, all your favorites look yummy enough to be my favorites too! I can't wait to try that almond butter!
I need to hunt down some of that maple almond butter!
And I'm still gonna get to that coffee house you suggested to try one of those fancy espressos sometime soon! They are too pretty to pass up!
Hey, I'm happy to hear that the SweetArt cake was good! They are such nice people, and so convenient for me, that I love supporting them. We've had the Hummingbird Cake, Chocolate cake, chocolate cupcakes, and chocolate chip cookies, which have all been fabulous. And have you been to Local Harvest cafe recently? They've been having vegan chili or soup every day I've been - excellent!
I don't know if it is being pregnant or not, but your pictures of whole foods almost made me cry! I would give anything for some whole foods goodness right now.
I DIDN'T KNOW THEY MADE PEANUT-BUTTER LARABARS! THe cashew cookie and the cinnamon rolls are my favorite.
Also, while in theory I should be against squeeze packs because of the wasteful packaging, I secretly love those almond butter squeeze packs. And the peanut butter ones (I don't know if justin's makes them, too, but they're always displayed next to each other).
You should be getting mail soon ^_^
it's funny that some people scoff at vegan diets because you eat the Best foods. I'm a (semi)meat eater and those are all my favorites!
Latte art! Rosettas are always hard to do. When I first started, I did a heart. They're a little easier than the intricate details of the leaf. But, that is not to say that your artwork doesn't look great! I love how you're posting your progress!
OMG, I love the Nashville Whole Foods too! My boyfriend lives near Nashville and I try to make a couple trips there a month to stock up. It's so much better than the tiny Memphis Whole Foods.
Jeez....Colorado WF's suck compared to Nashville's! I'm jealous!
Maple Almond Butter sounds fantastic. I hope my Whole Foods has it. I heart my WF store too!
That almond butter sounds delicious!
maple almond butter sounds amazing. I wish we had whole foods here as well.
maple almond butter? OMG~!
I totally love,love,love the fresh kale salad at Whole Foods. I get it every time I go. Your posts are really entertaining.
And has anyone ever MET Justin? I have - I work at an organic grocery store, and he came in to pass out samples. He is HOT! Also, he's very nice.
Post a Comment