I do not have a stove.
Yes, it's true: while I'm here at college, I do not have access to a stovetop. This explains why I have not yet had any cooking pictures on my blog. I can only bake and microwave my food because my dorm doesn't have stoves because "they're a fire hazard." Being a vegan at my school really sucks sometimes, because I have no way to cook real meals for myself. I have to choose to either brave the school cafeteria or spend my hard-earned savings and eat off-campus. If I choose the school cafeteria, my meal will end up being an apple, a pathetic salad or vegetables "sauteed" (ahem, drowning) in oil and nothing else, and on a good day, cold chickpeas. To my school, "vegetarian" means someone who eats vegetables, not meat. Now, I love vegetables much more than the average person, but vegetables alone is not a meal! Give me some protein, give me some whole grains, gosh darn it! My cafeteria never has whole grain anything except for non-vegan cereal. So I am forced to spend more money on off-campus food than I want to, thus neglecting the meal plan I was required to purchase.
I didn't mean this post to turn into a rant; I really just wanted to give you a nice innocent post full of cookies. So, here they are, Double Carob Peppermint Cookies with Almond Butter:

VeggieGirl posted about these cookies a little while back. They are based on the "You Got Peanut Butter in My Chocolate" Cookies from Eat, Drink, & Be Vegan.

Like VeggieGirl, I substituted carob chips for chocolate chips and carob powder for cocoa powder and almond butter for peanut butter just because those were the ingredients I happened to have in my lovely (not) dorm room. I also substituted a tiny bit of peppermint oil for some of the vanilla extract, but I used mostly vanilla because too much peppermint oil can ruin a good thing. I made a 1/4 batch and was very pleased with my end result, especially because afterward I realized that I had made a cookie version of my favorite "ice cream," It's Soy Delicious Carob Peppermint!

Photo by PurelyDecadent.com
So I hope you guys will bear with me and my incessant baking and lack of cooking for the time being. I am working on a new living situation for next semester (as in, a place with a stove), and you can bet I'll be cooking up a storm when I go home for winter break! So yay for cookies, yay for veganism, and yay for delicioso vegan cookies!
8 comments:
I understand; I was in the same situation my freshman year of college, with no stove... the floor's microwave became my best friend! Oh, and I bought lots of pre-made vegan cookies :o)
You're close-- my dog, whom we rescued from an abusive home, is a Toy Fox Terrier, which is a mix between a Chihuahua and a Jack Russell :o)
At least you guys have an oven! When I lived in dorms last year and the year before, we only had a microwave -- and a really crappy on at that. There was one time when someone on our floor thought it would be funny to defecate in a bowl and then cook it -- on our floor's microwave. The smell didn't leave for weeks.
Your cookies look awesome, though! I LOVE peppermint in anything sweet. :)
yep, this is one of the main reasons why I transferred from an out-of-state university to an in-state one - no kitchen facilities on campus, at my previous college!! I wish I could send you a stove!!
in any event, I LOVE how you substitute carob in cookies and such - you're too cool for words!! :0D
Thanks for the info about sodium and calcium loss. I never knew actual numbers, only that it happened, so that makes me feel a little better. :)
Also, your quinoa post below has inspired me to buy some -- I've never had any, and I'm all about trying new foods lately.
awww, i'm sorry you don't have a stove. might be a good time to experiment with some raw foods ;-)
your cookies look yum.
How yummy! Bummer without an oven...but these cookies look like they might make everything kind of nicer.
Haha I always think it's funny when people get mixed up between my sister and me because I think we look nothing alike! But I love my little sister; I wouldn't mind being mistaken for her ;o)
Not having a stovetop sounds like torture.... and that sucks that your school doesn't have more vegan options that are substantial. Maybe submitting some suggestions is in order?
And definitely thank goodness for cookies!
Post a Comment