Sunday, December 16, 2007

A Smattering (sure, that's a word)

If any of you were worrying, finals have not eaten me alive. They have just rendered me unable to make a decent blog post. So I'm trying to make up for it with a smattering of food photos I've taken over the last week or so. My camera's out of batteries again, so I don't know how long it will be until my next post. Seriously, I got the camera batteries just after Thanksgiving, and they've died again already! But then again, I am just using normal double-A's.



I got this meal from the hot bar at my local Whole Foods Market. Pictured are a Mushroom Curry, Sauteed Kale, and a Cranberry Walnut Roll. I love eating at Whole Foods on the weekend, but sometimes their food seems like it's missing something - this was the case with the curry. Kale makes me feel virtuous and whole no matter what, so I always go for kale in any form when I see it on the hot bar at Whole Foods. I also love, love, love their cranberry rolls. I need to learn to make them myself. I asked for a bread machine for Christmas from my grandparents, so we'll see.



This post by Celine inspired me to try adding a little carob powder to the batter for the Homestyle Carob Cookies I always make. After I made them, I saw that Celine commented on her blog that she preferred the cookies without carob powder after she tried her cookies. Oh well. Since I am absolutely ridiculous and was only in the mood to eat one cookie, I only made 1/8 of the cookie recipe. This yielded one semi-huge cookie. If anyone else wants to attempt to try a ridiculous feat such as this, I suggest you use a very small mixing bowl for the dry ingredients to make sure they get fully incorporated. I also added two drops of peppermint oil into the wet ingredients for a special carob-peppermint taste. This cookie was yummy but still not as good as my Double Carob Peppermint Cookies with Almond Butter.



I had some cooked quinoa sitting in the fridge, just asking to go bad, so I decided to whip up some more Almond-Quinoa Muffins from Veganomicon. I really want to reemphasize that they make a great breakfast - the recipe uses whole wheat pastry flour and quinoa, so the 100% whole grain-ness of these muffins will keep you staying full. This is great news for people like me who don't like a lot of sugar at breakfast time.



Ever since I saw Katie's recipe for a grilled peanut butter banana sandwich, I could not stop thinking about it. So I finally got my butt to the store and bought some Ezekiel Sprouted 100% Whole Grain Bread (that's a mouthful...) and whipped up Katie's "sandwich of dreams," as she calls it. Well, after ingesting this lovely sandwich, I heartily agree. This concotion sure is a sandwich of dreams. I didn't have raisins, so I skipped that part; I used almond butter instead of peanut butter because almonds are just a better source of calcium; and I don't have a grill or stove so I sprayed my sandwich with cooking spray and broiled it in the oven for a few minutes, and then baked it for a few more minutes, and it came out great. See? Even if you don't have the perfect setup or equipment, you can still satisfy your cravings. And seriously, before I made the sandwich I was having intense cravings.



This one night I was hungry for something sweet so I whipped up a bowl of sliced bananas, soaked goji berries, carob chips, and crushed walnuts topped with a little agave, a little organic chocolate syrup, and a little pumpkin pie spice. It didn't taste too great but it satisfed the sweet tooth. Maybe some granola would have made it better. But it looks cute, don't you think? I know, I know, my ice cream bowl + spoon rocks.



I was also having some cravings for comfort food, and I definitely think French toast is a comfort food. I halved this recipe and made a hearty vegan breakfast for one (plus I added vanilla extract, cinnamon, and a teaspoon of almond flour to the batter). Oh, cooking for one! This quartering and halving is so silly! I can't wait until I can go home and use my own kitchen and feed other people too. It's so much more fun that way. And yes, earlier I said "cooking." I know I don't have a stove, so I packed up all the French toast ingredients in my picnic basket and trekked over to the dorm that does have a stove. The dorm also provides frying pans and other cookware, so I was set in that department. I don't know if I'll be making many more trips like this, because it's time consuming to transport cooking goodies to and from. Also, it's been snowing and I refuse to walk through the snow with my picnic basket. Sigh. I'll leave it at that.

14 comments:

Anardana said...

Hey, thanks for the comment. Do people comment back on their own blogs, or on the commenter's blog? I haven't figured it out yet..

anyway, definitely try the recipe for apple-tofu salad rolls (not the official title) in Vegan lunchbox! They are awesome.

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Yay, I'm so excited that you tried the sandwich!!! (Yes, I know I get excited by strange things.)

I'm very glad to know that your finals didn't eat you alive... that wouldn't be very vegan, now would it? Hopefully you can now enjoy a nice, long break with a stove, and NO tests!

Haha and what a great idea to make 1 cookie :o)... you're so creative!

Cutest spoon ever!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

great spread of food you've got here!! everything from the cookies, muffins, and French toast, to the sandwich and your meal from Whole Foods, looks spectacular!! I too love almond-butter and Ezekiel bread (and carob, and hempmilk, and... ;0)

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

woah! 1/8thing a recipe, colour me impressed. I'm constantly halving and quartering mine, too, I feel your pain... but 1/8thing... that just sounds like too much of a fun challenge to pass up. :p

your food looks seriously, seriously good, stove or not. I gotta try that sandwich at some point. good luck with dorm-cooking!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

hey girl, I read your lovely comment - of COURSE I would have preferred making those decadent brownies with carob, but I bake for my family, and I wanted to make the brownies all for them - so chocolate it is (err, was) :0)

I'll never give up my carob - oh and I agree with you completely, there SHOULD be carob bars, just like chocolate bars!!

Vegan_Noodle said...

Wow, that is love for french toast (I think I would do the same thing), trekking with all the ingredients!!

I think it is so funny that you 1/8 recipes, but it's smart. I should do that instead of making a whole batch of cookies when I'm the only one in the house that will eat them.

Hope your finals went well and you can relax and enjoy the holidays now!

Teresa said...

Oh I'm glad finals didn't eat you alive (they almost got me but I somehow escaped).

I haven't ever had food from the bar at whole foods, but it sure does look good. I agree that kale is a winner no matter what. Too bad about the curry, I do love a good curry.

I seriously must get VCON just for those quinoa muffins. They are so intriguing.

Wow, 1/8thing a recipe? I only cook for one too so I'm used to cutting recipes, but 1/8th I've never done. What a challenge!

And what a trek for that french toast! Oh how I hate dorm life just because of the food. Trust me- I know what you are going through!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Hey Ruby Red :o)

I don't even remember where I found that cartoon originally-- I've had it in my "saved pictures" file forever.

*Sending lots of warm wishes your way, since I don't need them in the 70-degree weather here!*

aTxVegn said...

I'm impressed you went to so much trouble to have your french toast! I'm also impressed you can do the math to make 1/8th of a recipe. I'm lucky that when I cook for me and my son, I make enough for six people so he can take home leftovers.

I'll have to seek out the cranberry roll at WF!

Anonymous said...

wow, you eat way better than i did when i lived in college! well, i also was vegetarian and trying to figure out this whole snow thing.

about your batteries-- ever consider rechargeable? we have a charger and it does up to 4 batteries at a time so there's always an extra set if you need it. you could ask for one for a present or something, maybe.

thanks for all your lovely comments on my blog, it's nice to know i'm not posting to a void!

Ashasarala said...

Hello, thanks for stopping by my blog! You seem to get a lot of food-making done, even without a stove. I commend you. I'd be utterly depressed if I was stoveless.

You're lucky. The Whole Foods around these parts rarely has anything vegan at the hot bar. The cold bar usually has one or two meals. It's upsetting. To think that the founder was vegan!

I never heard of anyone baking just one cookie. That's pretty impressive, actually. I think I'd get all the measurments messed up.

And yes, your bowl and spoon are adorable! :-D

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

the weather never knows what it wants to do here! One day it'll be 70 and the next it's 30... oddness :o/

eatme_delicious said...

Good luck with your finals! I can't believe you 1/8 a cookie recipe haha. I would be so scared it wouldn't turn out properly, so good for you for trying it! Though I imagine it's easier to 1/8 a vegan cookie recipe than a non-vegan one because 1/8 of an egg... a little difficult.

russ said...

I usually double my recipes, just so that I make enough for a couple of meals. Some curries have made it to the 5 day anniversary, and have evolved into an entirely different curry. That's my lazy-cooking-for-one =)