Friday, November 30, 2007

Ruby's Post-Thanksgiving Adventures

It seems like a year since my last post, and I don't want to start off being a flaky blogger. So here's a little recap of what I've been up to this week: I've got a breakfast and a dessert for you, both featuring special guest carob.




Oatmeal is definitely my favorite breakfast item. Sure, pancakes taste good, but nothing keeps me satiated all morning like a nice bowl of oatmeal. This was the first time I used carob chips in my oatmeal, and I quite liked the combination. I also threw some walnuts in (they're hiding in the photo, but you can see them if you look closely), and they really complemented the carob. To the right of my bowl of morning goodness, you'll see an orange. I have been very into oranges the past couple of weeks: I keep encountering huge ones, and seriously, no fruit has been more satisfying lately than a plump, juicy orange.





Let's take a closer look. What's this? Oh yes, sexay carob chip nut oatmeal.





If you read my last post, you might have seen that I had a disappointing go-round the last time I made cookies. This time, I made the same recipe, Dreena's Homestyle Chocolate Chip Cookies, but I substituted carob chips because I that's all I have in my dorm room. (A giant bag of chocolate chips is not safe in my room - it would quickly disappear before making its way into baked goods. Carob chips are safe, though, because they taste nasty when eaten cold.) Anyway, the Homestyle Carob Chip Cookies were not a bit mushy; in fact, they were deliciously just right. Of course, this time I made a 1/4 batch, just enough so that I don't have to share with anyone else! And of course, the time no one else is around to taste my cookies is when they turn out great.




Who can resist a luscious stack of cookies? Not me! That's why this picture is fuzzy. I was ready to eat the cookies at this point in the photo shoot, so I just wanted to get the photography over with and enjoy them!


I hope you enjoyed my adventures in carob-land this week. Stay tuned for a post in the very near future on Almond Quinoa Muffins from Veganomicon. I cannot wait to try my first recipe from this cookbook!

8 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Okay, you KNOW that I'm loving this post - between the carob-chip-nut oatmeal (I'm obsessed with carob AND oatmeal; and I'm quite keen on nuts as well), and the Homestyle Carob Chip Cookies (brilliant variation on this popular cookie recipe!), my mouth is watering! Yay for carob! :0D

Can't wait to see how those muffins from Veganomicon turn out!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

I looove oatmeal for breakfast too! (and as a yummy snack!) And nothing pairs better with oatmeal than a nice cold gladd of oj :o).

Thanks for all the snack ideas! I've seen Nana's cookies, so I guess I should give 'em a try!

Rose said...

Carob in oatmeal? That sounds like a great idea! I haven't ever had carob before but I think I'm gonna need to add that to my grocery list now :)

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

No bread? No problem! You can make this pudding and dip anything into it-- crackers, waffles, pita chips, or just eat it with a spoon:
http://veggiegirlvegan.blogspot.com/2007/09/new-favorite-go-to-meal-mixed-reviews.html

It's veggiegirl's blog, but my recipe :o)

Ironically, I'm out of bread too! I threw the leftovers out this morning because they were GREEN!

Anardana said...

Hey, thanks for the comment- yup, those are the three stews on top of the bread!

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

I am SO in agreement about oatmeal! (actually I'm pretty fanatic about it, haha). I eat it every day, and it keeps me happy well to lunch. And with carob chips, yours is veritably sexAY! Plus, Dreena's cookies have never looked so good. :O They look almost like crinkly ginger cookies!

Teresa said...

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my blog. It's great to *meet* other vegan college students.

Oatmeal is a standard in my breakfast repertoire so this sounds just perfect for me. I do love carob chips- even cold- but I've never thought to put them in oatmeal. Thanks for the idea!

I'm looking forward to the almond quinoa muffins!

russ said...

hehe, so true about carob drops - they are so horrible on their own, but somehow transform into something quite different if hidden away in a biscuit. Odd! Shame my local health food place stopped selling them - the real chocolate ones never make it long enough to see the inside of a mixing bole...