Monday, June 14, 2010

Chocolate, Chocolate, Chocolate



Photo used with permission from amanochocolate.com

Head on over to Amano to enter a contest to win free chocolate for a year! That's ten bars of bean-to-bar chocolate every month for 12 months straight!! Um, yes?!? The direct url to enter the contest: click here.

I would also like to use this as opportunity for a little education about fair trade, chocolate, and coffee. Many people think they're doing a great thing by passing up certain coffees and chocolates in favor of fair trade choices; however, some of us are uninformed or under-informed about very real issues. There are some great small-batch chocolate companies that work with and/or source their cacao beans directly from farmers in other countries that are not fair-trade certified: flavor and quality are the prime factors in deciding which beans to buy, not price. And for premium cacao, a premium price is paid - these small companies are dedicated to their craft and pay farmers significantly more than, often many times over, the established fair trade price for cacao. Both organic and fair trade certification are costly and lengthy in duration, and many small-time farmers cannot afford these formalities if they are not a part of a larger co-op.

So the labels we, as responsible consumers, are told to look for can be misleading. Organic and fair trade are noble programs and ideas, but they are not the be-all and end-all of responsibility. There are unlabeled and differently-labeled programs and efforts that strive for the same (and further) goals: we see this in the farmers who do not use pesticides but aren't financially positioned to afford organic certification yet (or ever), and we see this in companies that opt for direct farmer relationships rather than going through a fair trade middle-man of sorts. The point of saying all this is that we can feel okay with ourselves if we look beyond fair trade in the world of chocolate. (Many companies are calling their farmer relationships "direct trade.") Examples of such chocolate makers include Taza Chocolate, Askinosie Chocolate, Patric Chocolate, and as mentioned at the beginning of this post, Amano Chocolate. I also just read a cool blog article about a company whose chocolate I've not yet tried - which fits into the "bean-to-bar" category: Rogue Chocolatier...two years ago, the owner started his own dark chocolate laboratory...at 22 years old (my age!!!). That's so inspiring! For any inquiring minds that wish to know a little more about chocolatey indulgences, Amano has some great chocolate articles and FAQ's about chocolate. If you do not know and would like to know such things as the different between a chocolatier and a chocolate maker, I suggest the latter link.

(And examples of coffee companies with direct trade programs include Counter Culture Coffee, Intelligentsia Coffee, and Stumptown Coffee.)

Oh, yay! Yay for coffee and chocolate! Haha, somehow I managed to work coffee into this post! Kinda like eatliverun's Jenna squeezes wine into every post...

8 comments:

PB and Jess said...

Yummmmmm, chocolate!! My reigning favorite is still Scharffen Berger, but I'm ashamed to admit that I have no idea where it comes from.

Ruby Red said...

I do think Scharffen Berger is very good. I came across an interesting article, though, that describes the change in quality that has occurred since Hershey's took over the company: http://chocolatenote.blogspot.com/2009/02/scharffen-berger.html

Scharff doesn't produce the chocolate in small batches anymore, but rather in a more industrial manner - and the quality difference is similar in small handmade cupcake batches vs. commercially mixed cupcakes. Haha, I think that's an analogy you can connect with, Jess!

Ruby Red said...

Hershey's = BARF!

Anonymous said...

that's interesting! Thanks for the info on fair trade. I never really thought about small companies working directly with and possibly paying the farmers more for good coffee/beans.

gosh coming here makes me want a latte with chocolate right now.....

Miss you!!

Christina said...

Hi
Red Ruby,
first of all I would like to thank you for your blog,reading it is very
inspiring!I am from Germany(so please forgive me my grammar
mistakes;))and thanks to the internet I am able to follow your
posts,what I do quite regularly.
But I digress:).The reason I am writing is quite simple.I am a vegan
for two months now after having been vegetarian for 8 years.The point
is that I have always cared about eating healthy and stuff but now I am
not quite sure about what to eat all day to stay healthy and get all
vitamins and so on.I have realized that eating vegan makes me wanna eat
a lot more than usual which made me gain a few pounds.That is not too
bad since I am still of a"normal" size,but still...Could you maybe help
me to balance my eating habbit by giving me a few exaples of what you
normally eat during a day?I have realized that you start your day with
oatmeal,pancakes etc.?I know that you cannot transfere ones eating
habits to another person because of physical differences(I am 5.5ft
talland weigh %8 kg)and so on-I think my problem is my addiction to
baking and I just love eating cookies, muffins...and that I do not work
out regularly(Studing keeps me away from it somehow...:().I know that
you are probably bussy as well, or think "what kind of stupid post is
that?" but maybe you want to answer some time.
Love C.

Ruby Red said...

Hello C.N.,

Your sweet comment means so much to me, so thank you for taking the time to share what is on your mind. Blogging a day's worth of food is not my style, but I will see what I can do. I think it would be fun to do this every once in a while.

I had a baking addiction early on, too, but now I rarely bake. The novelty should wear off after a while, but for now, I can recommend some healthy replacement treats:

1. Fruit sorbet topped with fresh berries, nuts, banana slices, and a few chocolate cookie crumbles (e.g., an organic/natural replacement for Oreos)

2. A few squares of dark chocolate, 70% or higher, and a glass of almond milk

The above are my two favorite summer snacks! I hope that helps for now!

Ruby Red said...

Oh, and C.N.:

Definitely work a little activity into your day, even if it is only a 20-40 minute walk! It is so good for your heart and overall health - mental, emotional, spiritual, and physical!

Christina said...

Thank you Ruby,I really appreciate your advice!
I hope you are right about the point that the novelty wears off after a while;)
Fruit sorbet is a great idea.I think I`ll make some off frozen bananas later;)I have started running some days ago and it really makes me feel better,although I have to get up at 6.am to avoid the heat.Oh well,the early bird...whatever:)