Thanks for enrolling in Summer 101.
Hi, my name is RRV, and I will be your instructor for this course.
Let's get started right away now, shall we?
Lesson 1: Eat some yummy vegan cupcakes.
This Mint Chocolate Cookie cupcake was made for me by Jess, who just so happens to be an incredible baker! Thank you sooo much, Jess! She really went all out on these cuppies and made them with me in mind. Awww! Here you see a chocolate cupcake base filled with crushed Joe-Joes (Trader Joe's sandwich cookies - so good!), some buttercream with more crushed Joe-Joes, a Joe-Joe on top of the buttercream that was dipped in a mint dark chocolate bar, and mint dark chocolate shavings on top. Incredible!
Lesson 2: Find some local eats and go eat 'em.
I found these locally-made energy bars at one of my (seven) local Whole Foods stores. (Seriously, seven Whole Foods within 30 minutes of my family's dwelling-place? Yes!!) Pretty good (and large, which I appreciated).
Lesson 3: Eat a wonderful lunch for some lovely mid-day energy.
This lunch consists of Whole Foods Whole Wheat Rustic Bread, Cedar's Artichoke & Kalamata Olive Hummus, fresh avocado slices, (sad-looking) sliced tomato, fresh ground pepper, and some peeled carrots. Yum! I think I am going to turn into a hummus this summer. I have eaten it almost every day so far. And then, two days in a row I ate a hummus and pitas and veggies for lunch and for dinner.
Lesson 4: Find your creative outlet.
If it happens to be pouring pictures on top of your soy cappuccino, then so be it.
(Cappuccino #1)
(Cappuccino #2 - view one)
(Cappuccino #2 - view two)
Here's my summer espresso setup in our family's temporary tiny kitchen (we're in the process of moving into a house, out of the apartment).
Counter Culture Coffee's Espresso Aficionado is amazing! Dare I say I like it better than Intelligentsia's Black Cat Classic Espresso?
On the far left bottom is my Intelligentsia cappuccino cup, and on the top of the espresso machine (right) is my World Barista Championship 2009 cappuccino cup. I love Italian-made cups! <3
Cappuccino #3:
I am getting better at the latte art thing... I have a long way to go, however, to match up with the pros!
Lesson 5: Indulge in your first ice cream of the summer. (To keep cool, of course.)
Purely Decadent Mocha Almond Fudge vegan ice cream - made with coconut milk. I haven't tried a pint of Temptation vegan ice cream, though I have had a Temptation-based shake, so I will venture to say this is my favorite ice cream ever. (Chocolate Oatscreme pints are a love of mine too, but I haven't had one in two years!)
Feast your eyes on this:
I hope your summer is relaxing so far!
28 comments:
Amazing all around! I love summer for the ice cream and that one looks so decadent!
your latte art is looking great!
everything is amazing! That cupcake looks especially fabulous! It's been a while since I've had cupcakes....
=)
ohmygod that ice creammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. im in a stuffy humid lounge in a hotel in italy right now and that would make everything better haha
My family is obsessed with Joe Joe's! I never even get to try them since they disappear so quickly.
7 local WF?!?! Lucky!!!
I could eat pita + hummus + veggies everyday for every meal too! haha I think it's my favorite food.
You are doing so great with the latte art! I love it!!!
That coconut milk ice cream looks to die for! =)
Happy Summer!
It all sounds like a great way to start the summer! That last picture of the Purely Decadent coconut milk ice cream has me drooling.
everything looks amazzzzing, but I think number 3 is my favorite!!!
and I've heard that that Coconut milk ice cream is TO DIE for!!
hope all is well Sensei RRV! :)
Sounds like a good way to kick off the summer to me! The only coconut milk ice cream I have tried is the mocha almond one; it was sooo good!
By the way, I am going on a trip to Disney World soon and some fellow bloggers directed me to your Disney posts. They've been quite helpful!
I love your lovely cappucinos.
Thanks for the chocolate recommendations!
Your energy bar, hummus sandwich, and ice cream look delicious! I'll have to go to Whole Foods soon and look for that energy bar.
Glad you are enjoying your summer!
Glad you liked the cupcake :)
I just got my first pint of ice cream too! I went with the Coconut Bliss Chocolate Hazelnut fudge...you gotta try that one!!
Can't wait to see you later this summer, then you can make me a latte!
I am ready to enroll in your class!! Hope you're enjoying you're summer break. Looks like you're eating well :-)
I learned a few things for sure!
PS I think of you every time I make a shake and put chocolate syrup on top. I catch myself trying to make designs with the chocolate--they're not nearly as pretty as your cappuccino creations though!
drool.
-A
I love your summer logic!
I wish I got coconut milk Ice cream here.
Latte art is so neat, you seem to be getting the hang of it.
Jess is very sweet, that cupcake looks like it will be good enough to give a major sugar high!
I'd love it if you would comment on my blog:
http://whatyourmommadidntknow.blogspot.com/
Ahh now I can't wait for my summer to begin! hahaha
Andd I'm so jealous, there is not ONE whole foods near me!
Too many fantastic looking treats - that cupcake sounds totally decadent!
Your summer is off to a great start!
Wow I'd be your student any day!
haha, I love how you "a hummous", that's adorable, and thank you for the welcome-summer post! summer is sooooo awesome, I can't wait for sandals and melon and maybe a hummous of my own! :D
Turtle Mountain! So good!
"Lesson 1: Eat some yummy vegan cupcakes."
If they're that yummy as that one looks, I've got this one covered!
Glad you're enjoying the start of summer! It's absolutely freezing over here right now!!!
I am not a big coffee drinker, but man, your soy cappuccinos have intrigued me. I must try some soon.. looks like a trip to Intelligentsia is in order, ;-).
That ice cream looks really good, but the coconut milk flavor I wanna really try is the Chocolate Peanut Butter... sounds HEAVENLY!
Jess's baking skills amaze me. That cupcake looks like it came out of a vegan bakery!
Keep enjoying your summer, Ruby Red! :-)
wooow...yummy EVERYTHING!! I love that flavor of turtle mountain too!! :)Somehow yours looks yummier than mine. hahah what you can't have, you just want more huh?
that cupcake looks outstanding!
wish they sold that ice cream here, it sounds amazing.
Hey my name is Kelsey and I love your blog. I added you to my new site
http://goddessgreen.wordpress.com/
feel free to check it out xo
RRV,
Hi! I found your blog through HEAB's comment section and just wanted to introduce myself before commenting because my mother instilled a very strict attention to proper etiquitte at a very young age. I’m Emily. :D
Now that I’ve satisfied my inner Emily Post I just have to say , “Oh do Do DO try Pbu!” It's so delish I couldn't keep it to myself... although I did very briefly consider patenting the stuff and selling off jars on Ebay. But then I got stuck trying to figure out how I would keep it cool if it had to shipped anywhere farther than an hour away from my little dwelling and decided to post the recipe instead. ;P
Have a wonderful Wednesday!
With Love,
Emily
yeah, it really is wonderful how much we can inspire one another, and improve upon each other's ideas, then combine them, then improve them even more! the veg blogging world is like one giant melting pot of love :)
def try _bu in your oats (the _ can be a P, an A, a C...haha), it really is wonderful! thanks again for the oat bran recipe
Your hummus sandwich looks so good (and simple). I just ate dinner and that pic still made me want one...immediately! :-) Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment